• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy 'Age and Psychedelics' thread

If you use psychedelics, please tell us: how old are you?

• < 12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12-15

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • 16-18

Votes: 45 16.0%
  • 19-21

Votes: 87 30.9%
  • 22-25

Votes: 52 18.4%
  • 26-30

Votes: 33 11.7%
  • 31-40

Votes: 31 11.0%
  • 41-50

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • 51-65

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • > 65

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
It's fine, honest. But don't fool yourself into thinking you are doing a good thing tripping at 15, while it is actually a pleasant or interesting - even endlessly fascinating - thing. Don't confuse those.

While I agree that it is never a good idea to be tripping before a healthy age, I still think that tripping before that age CAN be beneficial. Under the right circumstances, when used by a certain type of person, I think it can most definitely lead to psychological benefit. But more often than not, the majority of aged 15 and under psychedelic users are mindless in their use, at least most of the ones I've known. You're right to discourage us from using psychedelics, but you're wrong to assume that all children our age lack the ability to integrate a psychedelic experience into their life.

I don't find it hard to belive that someone of any age is doing drugs. I'm sure there are 12 years old kids out there taking psychedelics. I however think that it is irresponsible to be tripping at 15. I didn't try mushrooms until just before I turned 18 and I didn't try LSD until after I turned 18. I think I started a little too early.

Hmm I don't assume that, it can absolutely work out well. The question is though, is this psychological benefit proportional to the disruption of natural development? To say there is this benefit is to say that answers can be found. My point is that I think that answers are the turnside of the medal of question and that a whole shipload of questions is brought to light by the initial answers. This is a function of personal development but also of existential thought.

In other words by reaping these benefits you're opening up a whole complex chapter before even letting nature and time run its course to help you establish your identity. Psychedelics are often said to be therapeutic but in this case it seems like overkill to me, helping with problems that weren't really problems before but making them problematic. Next thing you know you're in over your head.

Normally this sort of thing need not happen, you can have a perfectly constructive trip or some scary effects and no persistent change whatsoever, just a clean one-off experience. But psychedelics have a reputation of producing these states of consciousness that awaken you to something you can never again fully sleep on anymore. Please make sure that doesn't happen until you're good to go, thats all. Because once this happens, it's hard to retract, and it's so hard to understand what you can expect this to mean until it actually happens. While I think this is one of the greatest things that can happen to your life and your development, before you are 18 this is an unacceptable risk to be taking.

Last edited:
My ability to learn would be hindered if I hadnt done psychedelics at that age. To be completely honest, I dont think I would have seen the path to enlightenment without my mid-teen trips. I would still be wrapped up in the itchy blanket of the ego and society.

But I do strongly believe I am lucky for the outcome of my experiences. It definitely takes the right type of person to be able to truly grasp such a powerful experience at such a young age.

One of the most beneficial trips of my life took place when I was 14. Over all though I feel kids probably shouldn't be taking drugs until later in life, but who knows when that should be.

I don't find it hard to believe, there's alot of people around that age.. who actively engage in psychedelic use within the doof scene, it's a world of its own there..

I started around the age of 18, but i did observe my friend's younger brother starting at 16.. and it was very obvious to see the notable difference's between people a few years older on the same dose opposed to himself.. the way he interpreted situations, events and logic, im certain it overwhelmed him on many occasions to the point of 'reason'.

I dont find it hard to beleive at all.

Thats when i started using them.
High School is a time of exploration and growing into yourself and such and drugs definately play a role in that.

Likewise. I don't find it hard to believe, but in hndsight, I probably would have done differently. Either way, I don't feel using psychedelics at any age is more harmful then any other.

You will likely find that people who "fnd it hard to believe" probably didn't do drugs at that age, and vice versa.

Do what feels right. :)

How come no one will take a 15 year old seriously when it comes to psychedelics?

I've been wondering this for a while.
No one believes me when i say i've done mushies or acid
not that it matters what they think,
their wrong of course,
i was just wondering why it's hard to believe.

I will not go off on a tangent and make a mockery out of this thread as to why this worry's me ""but""... yep the ole but factor

When I was young I had an older brother that was C00l ;)... if I was you I would take heed to the old saying........don`t kiss and tell.....Yep I experimented with Shrooms and some orange sunshine,,, but I would have never told that when I was young... thats like asking build a block building with a view of bars back in the day,,,, :) Yes I know times have changed.... but have they? Peace~
BTW I believe you and if you can not handle the effects stay away from it,, but getting attention for using it is NOT COOL!

i tripped for the first time when i was 15, a little mushies. now im 18 and have 15 yr old friends eating more L than me. our generation

Probably because your brain is still developping and powerful drugs are probably not what it needs.

I started taking mushrooms when I was 16, I used to get shunned by "cooler" older kids when I was 14/15 and intensely obsessed with finding some acid, though I don't think my brain was their concern, more to do with their social status :D

Most people I grew up with did acid for the first time at 11 - 15. I wouldn't recommend anyone took hard drugs at that age but for me it was great doing it so young because I had no neurosis at all and I felt invincible (like most young kids).

I'm 16 and do psychedelics, I haven't heard people in disbelief but I feel your pain hah. When I first took mushies about a year and a half ago I was really confused and scrambled, I knew I wasn't ready. I've taken things slowly now and have had great trips from acid and many others, I respect the power of psychedelics. I don't see why its so hard to believe that people our age do these drugs.. without knowing about the availability. I do agree about the maturity though.

Last edited:
I hear all this talk about "the brain is still developing" and "an early trip will disrupt the development."

While this sounds reasonable, do you have any proof? Where's the evidence? What is the specific mechanism of action, neurologically speaking?

^ If you can't answer these questions you might as well be pulling stuff from your arse. This is the time to stop restating yourself, like "it's too much too soon," and go into detail. HOW?

if i could've got hold of psych's at 15 man.. oh crap, i think i'd be stuck in wonderland.

I'm 14 and I've never done any psychedelics... But that's a question of availability rather than morals.
I can understand why people may disbelieve you, this is still the age of "Hey! I'm SO HARD! I drunk a bottle of WKD last night!", so I wouldn't worry about it. However over here people would pretty much believe you...?

I don't agree or disagree with people this age using psychedelics (how could I have a 'proper' opinion on this, though, never having done them?), no matter how much you tell people our age, if we're set we'll still be stubborn idiots and go do it anyway. So I think rather accept these things happen and hope to god they've got reliable information sources. I know a few people who've done psychedelics and none of them have been messed up by their experiences.

How come no one will take a 15 year old seriously when it comes to psychedelics?

I've been wondering this for a while.
No one believes me when i say i've done mushies or acid
not that it matters what they think,
their wrong of course,
i was just wondering why it's hard to believe.

No idea plenty kids younger than that were using em in the seventies & eighties & no doubt the nineties but I was kinda too old to know such types then.

Tip - never list your age - ageists attack you - just write about psych experiences or randomnesss that matters to you <3

I'm 14 and I've never done any psychedelics... But that's a question of availability rather than morals.
I can understand why people may disbelieve you, this is still the age of "Hey! I'm SO HARD! I drunk a bottle of WKD last night!", so I wouldn't worry about it. However over here people would pretty much believe you...?

I don't agree or disagree with people this age using psychedelics (how could I have a 'proper' opinion on this, though, never having done them?), no matter how much you tell people our age, if we're set we'll still be stubborn idiots and go do it anyway. So I think rather accept these things happen and hope to god they've got reliable information sources. I know a few people who've done psychedelics and none of them have been messed up by their experiences.

If you want it, it's wrong. It should be a chore. Like doing the dishes.

<3

I don't want anyone to get me wrong.
I don't do psychedelics because it's cool.
Because it isn't around here...
I do it for how it makes me feel, see, and make music especially.
I don't care what any other kid my age thinks about it.
I've done enough psychedelics to know how to control a trip (if needed)
but i usually like to not control it and let the trip take me where it wants.
I'm pretty educated in this sort of thing.
I think some people underestimate some teens but i do understand what it can do, physically.