The Big & Bearded Post Rock thread v. Relate & Recommend bands

SonOF said:
I probably like this album more than anything else suggested in this thread. :D

I'm glad. I held back on recing it because when people ask me for postrock, they're generally asking for something more like GSYBE.

SonOF said:
I probably like this album more than anything else suggested in this thread. :D

Glad you like it. I should also mention their drummer has also been drumming for !!! since their Myth Takes record.

OMG CLOSET SCENESTER CIRCLE JERK!!!!!!111!!11

look into !!! too, son of, join the dark side.

!!! is greatness. I don't think I have anything to add to this other than Jonsi is God. ;)

These have already been mentioned but I'm going to elaborate why I like em...

The Evpatoria Report: They're getting pretty big airplay in the post-rock scene. I'm into the new song off their upcoming album MARR it's called "Eighteen Robots Road." Their sound is crazy similar to Mogwai, maybe to a fault.

The Red Sparrows: Obviously an important name in the genre, yet SonOF seems to be the first person I know to mention them on bluelight.

Te': Their style kinda grates on me. I mean, some of the songs are fucking awesome, while other's are just ok. I have to be in the right mood for this, but it's worth a listen. Plus they're from Japan and we need more good Japanese rock groups representin, so yeah. :) Oh yeah, and the title of their second album is pretty great If That Is What Is Being Thought, Liberated Sound Talks the Depth of the Musical World

atlas said:
OMG CLOSET SCENESTER CIRCLE JERK!!!!!!111!!11

look into !!! too, son of, join the dark side.

I refuse to listen to a band called !!! simply based on principle. Even if they gave away free blowjobs from models, porterhouse steaks, and grams of pure heroin with the albums I would not be interested. :D

Plus, they probably have really ghey scenester vocals which will make me vomit.

When I was 19 or 20 and just getting into good music I heard the term "shoegaze" and instantly knew that I would hate the fans at the shows even if I liked the music. I mean, what the hell kind of genre is shoegaze? Makes me want to push their tight sweating wearing emo asses into the mud.

definitely the album leaf. i also adore adore adore m83. there are a ton of the cure remixes that sound really showgazey. if you're into that, you might also like the appleseed cast, the juliana theory (both of these are kinda emoish when the lyrics kick in but their instrumental stuff is worth looking for), boards of canada (can be pretty technical, actually, if you're into that), brightblack morning light (freak folkish)... and my final suggestion: ESPERS (noise-ish).

Check out
MBV (obviously!)
Chapterhouse
Slipstream
Loop
Catherine wheel
Lush
Cocteau twins
Slowdive, ride, swervedriver etc etc

Shoegaze is my favorite type of music. Here are some that I like:

Loop
Spacemen 3
Ride (album Nowhere)
My Bloody Valentine
Slowdive
Pia Fraus
Catherine Wheel
Flying Saucer Attack
Airiel
Neurosis
Lovesliescrushing
Highspire
A Northern Chorus (album Spirit Flags)
Malory
Labradford
Bethany Curve
Blind Mr. Jones
Pale Saints
WarmRushes said:

Nice to see someone else who likes them! I don't think I've seen anyone else mention them on bluelight. Loop is possibly my favorite band of all.

Definitely check them out if you like spacemen 3. I like spacemen 3, but I think Loop is much better. I'd say try the album Heaven's End first.

WarmRushes said:
Check out
MBV (obviously!)
Chapterhouse
Slipstream
Loop
Catherine wheel
Lush
Cocteau twins
Slowdive, ride, swervedriver etc etc
i knew you'd turn up here eventually. ;)

as for Ride, i wasn't too keen on Nowhere. Carnival of Light and Going Blank Again are where it's at for me. I guess I'm not much of a shoegazer nowadays. :)

Twisterella ftw <3

felix said:
i knew you'd turn up here eventually. ;)

as for Ride, i wasn't too keen on Nowhere. Carnival of Light and Going Blank Again are where it's at for me. I guess I'm not much of a shoegazer nowadays. :)

Twisterella ftw <3

Twisterella :) Leave them all behind is the best though, IMO

Another suggestion for anyone who's interested - Manual.

A bit like Ulrich Schnauss, very dreamy electronic shoegazer. He has a myspace with some tunes on.

Also The high violets (think early charletans/verve) are worth a listen.

'Loop' was such a cool band. Haven't heard about them in years. Any links to some info on them?? I just remember listening them way back in the 90's and 80's.

I also dig 'Flying Saucer Attack' That's some cool shit. Ethereal

Slowdive
Ride
Lush
Cocteau Twins

To me Ride and Slowdive are like quintessential shoegaze. I'm sort of surprised that so many people mentioned Sigur, Explosions, Mogwai etc because I would have never considered them to be shoegaze. Although they seem to fit the Post-Rock genre, so who knows ;)

Post-Rock @ Bluelight!

A few Month ago we have a Post-Rock Thread,
but it looks like gone,
like the Leaves of the Trees!
Here is the New One :)

My Favourite in November is the new Album from
GOD IS AN ASTRONAUT, short: GIAA
This new Album is brilliant, like the old Stuff.

God_Is_An_Astronaut_ST_Cover.jpg

Only old Songs here:
http://www.myspace.com/godisanastronaut

and
http://www.lastfm.de/music/God+Is+an+Astronaut

if we're going to be scenesters about the whole thing, I have been getting into shitgaze - which is kinda like shoegaze but, well... shittier. plus all the scene fucks in Columbus, Ohio claim shitgaze as their special imposition into the modern music vocabulary.

these bands have vocals, and you probably will not like them. I don't really like them that much either. you have to be abrasively drug fueled to even listen to this shit:

Times New Viking
Psychedelic Horseshit

all have vocals

an album. I got to see them play Albanian live and it was pretty awesome.

Broken Social Scene's first album is all instrumental. Not so much shoegaze or postrock as probably indie, but it's a great instrumental album whatever you want to label it as.

Anything by Do Make Say Think. Those guys keep getting better and better.

I would go as far to say BSS's first album is just straight up Post Rock. And you know one of the guitar players also plays in Do Make Say Think.

I get all warm and fuzzy feeling inside when I see people mentioning some of the bands I too, love. Good thread. So many great bands have been mentioned, and even some that just rehash the same sound. This is one of my main problems with all these bands that have hopped on the "post-rock genre bandwagon." Red Sparrows, Mono, Maserati.

I saw Battles was mentioned after don cab :) What a great band. I got to give Ian Williams some artwork I did after the show. Definitely hard for some people to get into at first but boy once you do what an original sound. Now I will proceed to list bands that I didn't see listed that deserve to be listed and perhaps checked out by curious minds.

Grails
Holy Fuck
65Daysofstatic
The Octopus Project
El Ten Eleven - Do check them out, 2 man band that sounds like an entire band.
The Samuel Jackson 5
Gifts from Enola - Heavier stuff, I think the OP would dig them.
Saxon Shore
Dirty Three - guitar, violin, drums, amazing
The Bird Ensemble
Theta Naught
This Will Destroy You
Sickoakes
Exploits of Elaine
Yo Le Tango

I'm not that familiar with this genre, but I listen to it on occasion.

El Ten Eleven is really good.