• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big and Dandy Scale Thread (First wave - archived 10-31-07)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yummy22 said:
Is a scale that weighs in .1 increments good enough to use for DXM powder?

When considering purchasing a scale, one should always assume that its readability (e.g. 0.1 g in this case) is the amount that the scale could be off by at any given time. That's of course, assuming it is a quality scale to begin with, if not, expect the variance to be higher.

So, if your scale is accurate on a 400 mg dose +/- 100 mg, that's a huge discrepancy, therefore to answer your question:

No, it's not. I recommend you acquire a scale that has a readability of at least 0.01g if you intend to measure DXM.

does anyone have a suggestion between these two jennings scales?

http://www.saveonscales.com/product_jennings_js_vg20.html

http://www.saveonscales.com/product_jennings_digital_diamond_scale_10.html

the first one is a newer model, and jennings's website recommends it over the first one, but the accuracy is only .002 instead of .001 on the second one. I'm well aware that with any sub-$100 scale I should expect limited accuracy, and should I ever come across a DOx or anything requiring extreme precision I will of course combine with liquid measurement. Basically which of these scales (or any other sub $100 scale for that matter) would be best when weighing out doses of 15-30 mgs or so (will use weigh with capsuls/tray or something to increase weight and improve accuracy)

I wish I could afford a better scale, but I just can't, not right now...

i own the first one and it does the job just fine.
Just be sure to re weigh a couple times to get an accurate measurment.
Also i recomend that you use the weighing dish that comes with it. Just put the dish onto the weighing tray and pour the powder into the dish untill it adds up to the amount you want. I have found this method to work just fine.

Damn... that first one is on super sale. I wish Id've found that. I paid the same for mine but I think it's a little bit less quality...

Although it still does the job, for things that require doses of 8-10mg or above. I'd never weigh out DOXs on it, though 8o

^^true but no one's selling it for the list price, everyone sells it for 80-90+shipping. Jenning's website lists a manual for a JS-VG-10 which based on the rest of their model numbers I would assume would be the same, except with a max weight of 10g and weigh to .001 precision, but it doesn't look like anyone sells it yet. It's a brand new line of scales and I'm wondering if it's just not on the market yet, I may email them to see when and if it's comming as it may be exactly what I'd want.

Reguardless of the true price though (the list price I'm guessing is simply inflated to make it look like a fantastic sale) I can't seem to find a better value in a scale that would do what I want. And of course I'd never weigh a single dose of a DOx on any such scale, 8-10mg would probably be the minimum I'd ever weigh out, and even there I'd probably take precaution.

I own the VG-20 as well, and it's worked quite well for my purposes so far, as I don't use it for anything where a 2mg error could be a serious problem. The measurements are fairly consistent (although I weigh most items a few times to be sure), and drift isn't really a problem for me. For 2Cs, most tryptamines, and other substances with dosages in the 10+mg range (like diazepam), the accuracy is plenty.

10mg, though, is my cutoff dosage for what I'm willing to weigh out on this scale. For anything less, like with DOXs, I'd only be comfortable if I weighed out at least 20mg, mixed it into a known volume of liquid, and calculate liquid dosages from there.

^^^^ Well at that price buy ten of 'em and take the average... ;)

Another thing you should find out is if you can disable the auto shut-off. 30 seconds is kinda short especially if you're shaking like a leaf from the comedown of the last stuff you took. =D

shypht said:
scale -- think this would be accurate enough for 2CE if I did a few re-weighs?

That's a pretty accurate scale. I have a 5 and 10mg cal weight and it displays the mass dead on unless I cough or blow :)

Thanks for the info, think I'll snag that up then. I went around to a few local stores the other day, most didn't have a mg scale - even when pushy sales people would tell me that a 100x0.1g is what I needed - no, I know what I need more than you, I'm not trying to weigh weed :), or, they had one, but it cost over $300 dollars. ouch!

Are there any stores where I could buy a decent scale? I would really rather just buy one then wait for one to be shipped online. Any suggestion on where to look?

Mine's a belter cost next to nothing does the job accurately if I need to go to singler mgs or sub mgs dissolved in water is best !

MrMoss said:
That's a pretty accurate scale. I have a 5 and 10mg cal weight and it displays the mass dead on unless I cough or blow :)

Mine bounces around quite a bit, between 9.998 - 10.015 :(

I picked up a pretty good digital scale off of eBay for $50. It weighs out to the milligram, comes with calibration weights/hard case, and I am very satisfied with it. Maybe eBay is a good place to find scales for a good deal, as it worked for me?

My 5 gram weight usually says 5.030 and my 10 gram usually is 10.060. It has worked very well in my research however. I don't think it's 30 milligrams off, I can attest to this...I just think my weights aren't perfect. Or maybe my scale is only inaccurate like that when weighing big masses (over 2g)

Those scales are a little more accurate when you put down a peice of tin foil to act as a tare weight. In the range of 45-75mg for the tare.

Thanks, samadhi. Should I press the tare button when the tin foil is on there? Or should I just subtract the weight of the foil from the total weight of the foil + whatever? Which would be more accurate?

It seems to be more accurate if you do not press the tare button, but it is probably pretty close either way.

Either way, weighing doses under 20mg you should probably do a liquid/volumetric measurement in 100mg batches (esp. if its a phenethylamine you're working with which is more stabile in solution). I guess with the 4-substituted-Ts you'd be fairly OK to just weigh out the powder itself, but perhaps might want to give yourself a 'buffer' of 2-4mg that the scale will be off.

Eventually you might want to buy a tanita scale, which is a lot more accurate.

thirteengrand said:
honestly, that's a terrible idea - maybe not so much for larger dosages, but even then, it's a bad precedent to set

invest in a scale; they aren't that expensive, and it'll take care of you for years
A good scale (measuring accurately to the low mg range) is THAT expensive, not to mention a terrible value for anyone who only does one (or two at most) varieties of RC's on rare occasion.

Anyone experimenting with pure psychedelic compounds that are fully active at a few tens of milligrams should be using a milligram scale. Anything other than that is stupidity and anyone who believes differently is foolhearty at best and downright dangerous at worst.

MDPVagrant said:
A good scale (measuring accurately to the low mg range) is THAT expensive, not to mention a terrible value for anyone who only does one (or two at most) varieties of RC's on rare occasion.

your value system, while unfortunately not unique, is in diametric opposition to the founding principle of this forum which i believe is still harm reduction?

Status
Not open for further replies.