• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big and Dandy Scale Thread (First wave - archived 10-31-07)

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^JuicyJay, I also have the scale you've linked to (used it for about a year and never hurt myself) and it is definitely worth $50 or $60. You would not want to weigh out single doses of DOC or DOI with it, but it is a fairly accurate scale for the price.

None of the scales we're discussing are good for weighing single doses of DOx. The Tanita 1210 doesn't even register a reading until about 4-6mg is on the weighing pan. The only safe way to work with these chemicals and a cheap scale is to weigh out a larger amount and proceed to liquid measurement.

That's what I WOULD be doing. I have a sample coming of 25mg. I'd weigh that and put it into 50ml of liquid. I'm not fucking around this time :(

Hey dex, I am a big fan of this scale (VIC 123). Mine works pretty well: it reads a class 5 mg weight at .021, .022 or .023 and my Mettler H10 reads it at .0226.

On page 13 of the directions are a list of parameter settings, I chose to use 1.1.4 and 1.3.3, leaving the rest factory (1.1.4 resets the environmental sensitivity of the scale and 1.3.3 resets the decimal place sensitivity).

With these settings in place, the scale takes about 5-6 seconds to settle into a reading, but I'm sure you can spare the time. Also, warm up the scale ( for at least 5 minutes) prior to use by turning it on, leaving it on and maybe putting a small amount of weight on it and doing a quick calibration (you can calibrate at 100g, 50g and 20g; if you have a good 20g weight that may be the best choice since you're weighing in the mg ranges. If not, the 100g supplied weight works fine). If you do not let the scale warm up properly it will not return to zero with any regularity, and will further throw off your reading.

Also, I've tried using extension cords with other items plugged in (phone and Mettler H10) and the scale went sort of haywire, giving very erratic readings- meaning: plug this scale into the wall, do not use power strips or outlet three ways, plug the scale directly into the wall outlet.

If you have any other problems after adjusting the settings on pg13 of the manual, and allowing warm up and making sure that you have proper voltage, please PM me and I'll see if I can help. As I said, mine reads almost spot on with a scale that reads 0.1mg. If I can help i'd be happy to.

There are better scales out there, but they start new at near $1000. This scale is worth $250 IMO.

Last edited:
^^^^^

Dex,

Re the PM I sent, he said it better. I hadn't considered the AC fluctuations, probably why they don't sell these scales with battery options.

Digiweigh DW-250bx | 250g/0.1g
Eaglescale ES-50A | 50g/0.01g
J Precision | 10g/0.001g

ime these super cheap scales all work fine. the most important thing is to have calibration weights, and to weigh everything a couple times and take an average.

i find what often happens, is the initial reading will be correct, but given 15sec or so, the scale will settle on a value which is off. it also seems to work better when adding the weight all at once rather than in pieces ... sometimes there is a large jump when adding on.

i would trust these scales to within +/-2 of their smallest incriment initially. with repeated use, that would come down to about 0.5. the j precision still isn't good enough to do stuff less than 5mg and has to be used in coordination with liquid measurement.

Last edited:
I've got the JPrecision, and I agree with your assessment. It seems to fluctuate between values, and if you sit there watching it it seems to slowly crawl upwards until eventually it's reading 10-20mg above what it initially read. Weighing several times is definitely a necessity, as is liquid measurement when using highly potent compounds such as the DOXs.

Decent Scales

I have read the scale thread, but I found it to be confusing and more focused on cheap scales.

I have been wieghing out DOC and xanax doses in fluid, but it can become very very time consuming, so it might be time to upgrade my scales.

Any sugestions, I am looking at what tineta (sp?) have to offer, does anything have anything to recomend?

Church: Yeah, thanks for that, it never seemed to click to just append my question to the end... :\

I think people took my post as a "find the largest most expensive scale possible" thats not really what I ment, I was just looking for somthing suitable without cheapness getting in the way, if the above scale is the best I can do however, I'm all over that :D

Acculab VIC-303

Does anyone have one of these? Does it work good or is it a piece of shit?

Would it be safe to measure 200 mg of 2c-e with it?

TIA

^Get the VIC 123; it's $50 cheaper. If you're getting the 303 used for a good price (and you've tested it works), then yes the VIC milligram scales are great.

I've read the big and dandy scale thread, yes indeed. All the recommendations were expensive. I seek to find a reliable scale that can measure and not be off by like 10-20mg for under 100$....Actually...Are there any for under $50?

JuicyJay said:
I realize this may be closed soon after posting or after I get some answers, but after the DOI incident and me trading chemicals, I found that my scale isn't very accurate and would like a step higher in scales. I will have some DOC in a few days and I will not touch it untill I get a new and more accurate scale. I've been looking on ebay and they have some good deals. I just don't know if these scales are actually accurate to +/- 1mg

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-50Ct-0-01Ct-10g-0-001g-PocketJewelry-Digital-Scale_W0QQitemZ190032878209QQihZ009QQcategoryZ34088QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
This scale seems like a good and cheap offer. Does anyone have any experience with this model?

Would anyone be willing to sell and/or accept a trade in and cash for a more accurate scale. If nothing comes about, I'm most likely going to order that scale mentioned. I still wouldn't feel very safe measuring DOx compounds but it would be a great step.

Someone please help :)

[merged with the B&D scale thread... -church]

Ok, so I bought this scale. Payment will be sent tomorrow. I'm trusting your words breaking set for being quality for the price. $67 isn't bad at all. Selling my 10mg scale for $30, $37 is a great price for an upgrade. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.