• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

The Big and Bangin' Pseudo-Advanced Drug Chemistry, Pharmacology and More Thread, V.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from this does the spectrum invite for the wildest speculation. Without further analysis (13C-NMR, DEPT135, IR, MS!!!) I wouldn't go out on a limb and confirm that this is 4-MeO-PCP. Assuming for a second that the material is actually what it was supposed to be then the purity is around 60% or less.

I don't know about wild speculation, it's a pretty close match to the NMR of definite 4-MeO-PCP, and some of the 4-MeO-PCP spectra posted here. I haven't seen a spectrum run in DMSO before, admittedly, but it's pretty likely to be 4-MeO-PCP. But yeah, taking something that impure and with such a high required dose isn't a great idea anyway.

I got 2 NMR's done on what is supposed to be N-ethyl- norketamine:

The peak at 10ppm is the NH2+, it disappears after shaking with D2O due to exchange with deuterium. It looks ok I think - the integrals are right and the shifts are about what I'd expect. I don't have a reference to be able to say for sure though. And it's got some ether and ethyl acetate in it by the looks of it but otherwise looks fairly pure.

I found this paper that demonstrated inhibition of CYP2D6 and CYP3A4 enzymes by kratom.

Does anyone know how to compare the concentrations of extract used in the paper to plain leaf dosages? I'm wondering at what dose this sort of inhibition becomes relevant.

Can someone please relate the intricate psychopharmacology of the Kavalactones? This is wickedly elementary compared to what yall discussing, but so far I've heard of GABA-A, MAOI-B, NRI, SRI, and Na+ (similar to lithium) action. Verification and elaboration please!

And does Risperidone actually increase levels of Serotonin in small doses (.5mg and under)?. And does it somehow enable normal dopamine release instead of merely suppressing it?

Thanks

My question is not exactly about chemistry and pharmacology, but more about diseases, i hope somebody can show me derection for digging or may be even answer to this question.
So, there are so many neruodegenerative diseases such as Hantingnton, Alzheimer e.t.c they are all impair your cogntive process, brain functioning, reaction time e.t.c
But are there any disease that actually can improve some of your cognitive processes? May be memory, ability to focus, reaction time, abstract or logical thinking e.t.c?

My question is not exactly about chemistry and pharmacology, but more about diseases, i hope somebody can show me derection for digging or may be even answer to this question.
So, there are so many neruodegenerative diseases such as Hantingnton, Alzheimer e.t.c they are all impair your cogntive process, brain functioning, reaction time e.t.c
But are there any disease that actually can improve some of your cognitive processes? May be memory, ability to focus, reaction time, abstract or logical thinking e.t.c?

Also i didn't mean that these disease would have only good effects, they might be killing you but give some benefits while doing it) Or imapir one cognitive function but improve another - acting in this way.

Hypomanic individuals can appear be higher-functioning than normal, though I'm not sure that mania constitutes a disease in the sense that you are using that term.

Hypomanic individuals can appear be higher-functioning than normal, though I'm not sure that mania constitutes a disease in the sense that you are using that term.
Yes, it's also suitable in this situation, i mean not only disease but disorders in general, mental and physical.

vader said:

Indeed. There's a reason that unipolar hypomaniacs tend not to seek treatment for any "disorder".

ebola

generally speaking though, if an individual did have a "condition" that improved mental function we probably wouldn't even notice it. (unless there were negative symptoms that went along with it)

a friend recently overdosed on vicodin and xanax, slipped into a coma, and eventually died in the hospital

i had a thought that maybe giving him a low dose of vicodin and xanax together might bring him out of his coma.... maybe sorta like reminding his brain what he was last doing before he "fell asleep"...

is there any science anywhere that would support an idea like this? i know i heard a story once of Zolpidem bringing someone out of a really long coma

the doctors ended up waking him up from his coma for a minute using a shot of adrenaline... so he could say goodbye and people could say goodbye to him.... he died soon after... this seemed almost inhumane to me.... he was probably so confused suddenly waking up from adrenaline and finding himself in the ER... but i also had the thought that maybe if they coadministered vicodin and xanax with the adrenaline then maybe his body would have been able to handle the stress from the adrenaline and maybe nursed back to health

IDFK. it all sucks. i didn't know the kid very well though.

Don't think "hair of the dog" really works for respiratory depression. Someone might drop some science, but it doesn't sound likely. My condolences, I'm sorry for your loss.

he did have quite the tolerance. my thought was that a low dose would be closer to baseline for him than total sobriety.

tbh my theory doesn't seem very likely to me either, but worth consideration at least.

Coma is certainly a mysterious and unpredicatble thing, but if it was induced by a sedative drug overdose there is probably large amounts of brain tissue in bad shape from oxygen starvation. I don't think drugs just spontaneously cause comas - generally they result from aspiration of vomit or lack of oxygen.

The zolpidem thing was serendipitous, I don't think the same effects on comatose people have been reproduced with other drugs.

Sorry for your loss.

are there any drug therapies for coma that are intended to increase oxygen levels in the brain?

Given the drugs involved I would expect this to be a fairly textbook case of drug induced respiratory depression. The coma itself was likely caused because your friend stopped breathing while unconcious.
By the time coma has occured, brain tissue is almost always already dead and re-oxygenation will do nothing. Unless someone would have found him earlier to provide e.g. rescue breathing or an antidote, there is essentially no therapy for large-scale brain damage.

I had read somewhere that ketamine increased cerebellar blood flow some large amount. That said, I don't expect administering ketamine to a braindead patient will bring them back, or even help at all.

I think you should try to accept the facts, and take solace that your friend was feeling no pain when he passed on. There's nothing you really could have done.

are there any drug therapies for coma that are intended to increase oxygen levels in the brain?

^^ was purely out of curiosity

I think you should try to accept the facts

i think that's pretty rude of you

honestly i only met the dude once, i'm not going on like this out of some crazy grief stricken rage or something

there is essentially no therapy for large-scale brain damage.

and there never will be if every conversation like this is stifled

There's also the Kratom plant that would join Iboga and Salvia.

It has been used for centuries to alleviate opiate withdrawals in Asia.

From what I understood, Kratom could lead to opiate dependency if used for prolonged periods and in heavy amounts.
But if sparingly and only during withdrawals, it would NOT be a substitute.

As for "...plus a 24 hour spiritual journey is prob not exactly what you are looking for...", I have to disagree. From testimonials I've stumbled upon, the spiritual journey is what allows the addict to address the root of his addiction. As in "why do I kill myself when I could enjoy life and its wonders".
The physiological processes are yet poorly understood. Ibogaine, more specifically its main metabolite-noribogaine-"reset" the brain in terms of opiate tolerance. In terms of withdrawal alleviation, the best analogy I found was "your worst flu is transformed into a bad cold".
Ibogaine treatments are done mostly in the "shadows", so outside of medical community, often by ex-junkies or even worth, users with a "doctor-complex".
Ibogaine experience is very subjective from what I've read, and very dose-dependent. Under-dose the patient and he'll leave the experience with expectations shattered. Which could be a sad thing since for many addicts Ibogaine becomes the last line of defense, last hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.