• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The 2017/2018 NFL thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
cakewalk. lol. ask the chiefs (at home) and the steelers (at home) how they feel about their role in this cakewalk :)

haters gonna hate.

alasdair

cakewalk. lol. ask the chiefs (at home) and the steelers (at home) how they feel about their role in this cakewalk :)

haters gonna hate.

alasdair

those are just single games. they did this via statistical analysis. or do the stats not matter when they make your team look bad? :p <3

^ the analysis looked at only two teams. pretty much nobody game the titans a chance at arrowhead and they took care of business. and the jags beat the steelers at home. the stats may place these teams in a relative context but, in absolute terms, beating either team will hardly be a cakewalk.

so, sure, stats matter. but this is playoff football and nothing is a forgone conclusion.

alasdair

well, they did also talk about the general weakness of the AFC this year... weakest season for the AFC as a whole since 1990, which coincidentally was the last time that a conference title-game participant's odds were higher than the projected odds for the Pats this year. so a bit of a double whammy there.

sure, i agree that the afc was generally weaker this year.

i guess my point is that, if they had done this analysis before the divisional round, they'd be crediting the chiefs with a cakewalk path to the divisional round. and before the jags upset they'd be crediting the steelers with a cakewalk path to the afc game. and how did both of those work out? there's 'easier' but that's not the same as 'easy'.

alasdair

they claim Pats have a 81% chance to win the AFC championship. i definitely think they're favorites, but 81% chance sounds too high to me. still a pretty interesting statistic, tho, and one you'll hear about if they do win.

they're damned if they do (it was a cakewalk!) and damned if they don't (lol - they couldn't even beat the jags/eagles/vikings!).

alasdair

they're damned if they do (it was a cakewalk!) and damned if they don't (lol - they couldn't even beat the jags/eagles/vikings!).

alasdair

yeah, that's how every game is for the Patriots anymore, tho, after winning so much for so long. Patriots won another game? stop the presses 8) oh Patriots lost? lol

the tin foil hat wearer in me almost wonders if the huge comeback win in the Superbowl last year was staged, because that's the only way for the Patriots winning another Super Bowl to be news anymore.

think about what would have to happen for that to be staged? it doesn't seem remotely likely.

alasdair

alasdair

That?s any dominant team in any sport, really. It sucks but it comes with the territory.

think about what would have to happen for that to be staged? it doesn't seem remotely likely.

alasdair

Aye, that's why it's just the tin foil hat wearer in me that thought it.

Really, the NFL wouldn't want to stage it that way -- viewer count probably dipped way down when the game started looking one sided, lost advertising dollars.

football bets this weekend?

the lines are:

new england -7.5, over/under 46.5
minnesota -3.5, over/under 39

i am thinking:

jags +7.5 and the under
vikings -3.5 and the under

anybody else betting?

alasdair

football bets this weekend?

the lines are:

new england -7.5, over/under 46.5
minnesota -3.5, over/under 39

i am thinking:

jags +7.5 and the under
vikings -3.5 and the under

anybody else betting?

alasdair
I think new England smokes the jags by at least 14.

27-13 sounds about right with 2 bortles turnovers.
I like Minnesota to win by a touchdown. Under.

So is the whole “toms throwing hand is hurt” thing just to lower expectations, to save face if they lose, or to make their win look more impressive? All of the above I think.

yeah, it's simply not possible that he just jammed his finger in practice.

they say that, when all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail...

alasdair

supposedly there's been no third QB in the Patriot's lockerroom despite Brady missing some practices. means Brady is probably still going to play -- they would need a third string QB to backup Hoyer if he was starting.

Brady will be Brady I have no doubt he will play well. That game will be decided on whether Jacksonville can establish the run game and pound the pats d early and often. The best way to stop NE is to keep there offense cold and on the sideline. I think Jacksonville has a legit shot because the pats are undersized on the defensive front.

afc champions baby!

580b585b2edbce24c47b2b3b.png

alasdair

Status
Not open for further replies.