• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the 2014/2015 nfl thread v. R U RDY 4 SUM FOOTBAW?

think about the playoffs - the most fair metric

when is the last time the AFC East fielded even two play-off teams? I think it was probably 2009 when the Jest beat the Pats to get to the AFC Championship Game (to get bested by the Steelers)

when was the last time the AFC East fielded three teams in the playoffs? I don't think your pithy division has even once gotten close to that golden standard (meaning I doubt there has been a year in the past 2 decades to where 3 AFCE teams even had a .500 record or better)

it is tough looking at the game objectively, but if you drop your Patriots-tinted glasses, you would face reality and agree with the rest of the league that your division is regarded as a one-trick pony. you have the luxury of competing in a division that just isn't.... competitive

the playoffs are the metric to judge my point (playoffs should be a trump card vs the regular season). imagine even being neversickanymore, and playing regularly in the NFC North. sometimes, I wish the NFL did away with two division games because it inflates stats. thus making your path to the Super Bowl easier. shit man, if I were you I would be quite thankful that you picked the right NFL team when your plane landed in the USA ;)

ask any other fan here. the question boils down to "who would you rather face twice a year? A) AFC East opponents, or B) AFC North opponents

the most fair metric
only if you believe that.
ask any other fan here. the question boils down to "who would you rather face twice a year? A) AFC East opponents, or B) AFC North opponents
if you play in the afc north, that question is simple - you want to play against the afc north.

if you are the steelers, the answer is definitely the afc north! you got destroyed by the patriots (the biggest points-allowed loss in the history of your franchise) and you got beat by the dolphins and the jets.

the dolphins!

the jets!

but don't take my word for it. from the comments at that footballoutsiders link:
You're getting to the core of what it means to be a strong division. If you want to know which division you'd rather avoid facing in these years, then the stats above are right: it's the AFC East.

alasdair

The only thing that really matters in all of this is that the Patriots are stupid cheaters and we should all hate them.

nothing if not consistent, gm.

you know your shit - what's your thinking on jim's claims and my responses?

alasdair

you know your shit - what's your thinking on jim's claims and my responses?

alasdair

I think that the only reason people would agree with Axl is because of the playoffs and the overall perception of the division being bad, but when you dig into the numbers that's not really the case. The only reason the AFCN has been more successful in the postseason is because everyone except the Browns have a franchise QB.

Regardless I think there won't be much argument after the 2015 season is concluded. Even without a gaggle of franchise QBs the rest of the teams in the AFCE have loaded up with enough talent at every other position to be nasty. And then of course the Patriots are the Patriots. The Seahawks basically gave teams without a QB(even though Russell Wilson is pretty good) the roadmap for succeeding in today's NFL without relying on your QB. When they won the Superbowl in 2013 Wilson only averaged around 25 pass attempts per game and around 200 yards per game. A stifling defense, smash mouth run game, and only asking your QB to make short accurate passes to TEs and screens will do the rest.

If the AFCN was a better division than the AFCE in the past, I don't think that margin was very wide much last year except for the Jets. And I certainly don't think the AFCN is going to be the tougher of the two this coming season. If the Steelers, Bengals, and Ravens had to play the Patriots twice last year or every year all 3 of them definitely would NOT have made the playoffs in 2014.

The AFCE is now probably the best defensive division in the entire league now that San Fran crumbled in the NFCW. That will become very apparent when the season starts. And I actually think they're ahead of the curve, because I foresee the league going back toward run-heavy offenses in the semi-near future anyway. I think it's a lot more difficult to be a QB in the NFL today compared to 20 years ago. And I think once guys like Manning and Brady retire, we're going to have a lot less domination by teams with star QBs and a lot more teams having to use middling guys like Jay Cutler. Because Andrew Luck doesn't come around in every draft. There just aren't enough rookie QBs with the natural talent to come into the NFL their first year and become great. And that's what teams are asking them to do now. Brady sat. Aaron Rodgers sat for 3 years. Kids need time to develop. And if you don't give them that time their confidence and careers get ruined. Who knows if Aaron Rodgers would have ever been good if they threw him into a starting position his first season instead of letting him sit and learn behind Favre. Or Brady behind Bledsoe.

So while we may have 3-4 teams with really good QBs like Rodgers and Matt Ryan, most other teams will be trying to build like Seattle. It's full circle. RBs used to be the darlings of the NFL in the 90s. Now they get paid squat and it's all about the passing game. It's about to change again imo.

So consider the AFCE the future of football. ;)

...but when you dig into the numbers that's not really the case.
exactly.

thanks for the considered post.

i want the bills, jets and dolphins to all be great teams and i think that the afce is going to look even better in the next couple of years, even if the pats start to slip a bit.

alasdair

Only the most sadistic fuck of sadistic fucks would want that. Any true football fan would never wish that on their worst enemies.

I think I've demonstrated over the years that I have a sincere, deep, and probably unhealthy hate for the Patriots. But I wouldn't wish the fate of the Jim Kelly-led Bills on them. Ever. Or more accurately: on their fans. There's literally nothing comparable in today's sports world to losing 4 Superbowls in a row. It's not even possible to get into that situation anymore.

I was too young for the full gravity of all that to affect me, but I know there were plenty of hardcore fans it absolutely crushed.

You might be the only person that would like to see the Bills lose another Superbowl. And that includes all the Jets, Patriots, and Miami fans I know.

Last edited:
Simple truth. Bengals are going to do something special this year. We are long overdue. Lost the second super bowl to the 49ers in the last few 'minutes during my birth. Who dey.

^ define something special? division win? afc champs? superbowl win?

alasdair

I'm happy the eagles signed Miles Austin to a one year deal. We can now go into the draft with a best player available mindset. I'm hopeing we get Landon Collins as he was a real stud at Alabama. He plays with a nasty attitude that is fun as hell to watch.

^ you made a number of incorrect predictions for the chargers last season and they finished 3rd and didn't even make the playoffs.

what's your ridiculous prediction for the chargers this season?

alasdair

yeah, you'll be lucky to finish third in the division this season.

alasdair

win the superbowl or get to the superbowl?

i'll bet you $100 they do not make it to the superbowl. man up, chargers "fan".

alasdair