• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Thca, same thing as THC? Is thca, the same thing as thc sativa?

Thanks to the farm bill, I was able to try highest sativa , ive possibly tried. Double dream 90 % sativa 10 indica. Bought it at a gas station, smoked a 1.5 gram pre rolled of it. Prefer smoking pure flower, in pipe, but sometimes if want to strain a pre roll is worth it. almost 12 $ for 3 grams. thca 35 % thca. Was an expirience, and like the fact can get high sativa strains, which havent been able to find for a long time, and quite a whiles.

You're correct that THCA and THC are separate things, even though they share similar names and are found in cannabis. THCA is non-psychoactive and may have potential therapeutic benefits. While THC is psychoactive and its impact depends on various factors including individual sensitivity and consumption method.

THCA is a Sativa breed, this isn't accurate. Both indica and sativa strains contain THCA, which converts to THC upon decarboxylation. The strain type mainly affects terpene profiles, influencing aroma and potentially some subjective effects.

I've read thca is sativa breed . What is the difference from thca and THC? Are the effects the same. It supposed to protect thca. I've seen someone say, thca is the same thing as THC.

I know they are separate words, on a cannabis test.
thca is the carboxylic acid form of thc it needs to be decarboxylated to be biologically active ...the body carboxylates it again for excretion so if use as thca its in perfect form to be pee.d straight out so does nothing psychoactively interesting....is nothing to do with breeds or strains

No shit?

That's it?

That throws me for a loop because I've noticed that, when I develop too much of a tolerance and need to bring 'er back down, I just grab a THCa vape pen or two for the week. It does the EXACT same thing as my normal pens do, only it still breaks through the tolerance when I've been overindulging and finding that my daily staple is barely tickling my eyes anymore.

It's just.... it's just the same shit I've always had?

These mother fuckers need to stop labeling shit that they've already labelled, man, it's getting confusing and I don't appreciate placebo effects when it comes to getting high.
Unless THCA is heated above a certain temperature, you won't get high.

In other words, you can't eat it and get any psychoactive effects.

I would hope you would want THCA and THC to be labeled differently.

Unless THCA is heated above a certain temperature, you won't get high.

In other words, you can't eat it and get any psychoactive effects.

I would hope you would want THCA and THC to be labeled differently.

But here's where I always get fucked up.

In the process of cooking, smoking, vaporizing.... don't those THC molecules heat up to the desired temperature range to allow decarboxylation?

Does the window open too briefly in the case of combustion or vaporization?

Because surely bringing an open flame to a bud is going to provide enough heat for the change to occur.

The question I'm sort of settling on, I guess, is what temperature provides the perfect environment for the fastest conversion? I'm imagining that to be vaporizers and their cartridges because open and direct flames seem more likely to simply combust instead of convert.

From what I've read here and elsewhere online, it seems like these THCA carts do just as good of a job at administration as the shit that just has the delta 9 symbol on it. That's why this topic kind of caught me unawares-- I didn't really realize that they were different. Hell, I didn't even think to question it.

I agree with you, though. I would want it labelled accurately. Even if I don't perceive a difference it doesn't mean there's not one there.

Last edited:

In the process of cooking, smoking, vaporizing.... don't those THC molecules heat up to the desired temperature range to allow decarboxylation?

Because surely bringing an open flame to a bud is going to provide enough heat for the change to occur.

The question I'm sort of settling on, I guess, is what temperature provides the perfect environment for the fastest conversion? I'm imagining that to be vaporizers and their cartridges because open and direct flames seem more likely to simply combust instead of convert.

From what I've read here and elsewhere online, it seems like these THCA carts do just as good of a job at administration as the shit that just has the delta 9 symbol on it. That's why this topic kind of caught me unawares-- I didn't really realize that they were different. Hell, I didn't even think to question it.

I agree with you, though. I would want it labelled accurately. Even if I don't perceive a difference it doesn't mean there's not one there.

in heating with flame its destroyed to quickly to make much of a dent in the thc output ....its a chemical reaction which is generally a slow process......cooking in an oven at around gas 4 around 170c wrapped up in cookie mixture for 20 mins usually does the trick.. or grind v fine and mix with veg oil 3g to 10 ml in glass ...put glass in bowl of water {water must be higher than oil level in glass} then put in microwave 20 second bursts then stir well(take your time) before next 20 seconds repeat 3 /4 times then allow the oil to cool while standing in the hot water works well...wont work with raw weed though and wont work with an isolate or weed without an oil or cookie mix buffer will just destroy the goodies

I don't really know what the optimal temperature for decarboxylation is. I know that the lowest temperature I found states that 85° C (amazingly 185° F) takes 6 hours to decarboxylate THCA.

Apparently THC is very quickly decarboxylated at 230 to 245° Fahrenheit. Vape coils are somewhere around 390 to 450° so that's why you can vape THCA.

Well with Delta 9, you bring up a whole another issue namely that Delta 9 converts to 11 hydroxy THC. Which is like crazy stimulating and you can't get to 11 hydroxy by smoking a joint.

You can only get 11 hydroxy THC if you eat Delta 9 THC and it goes through your liver.

I can't tolerate smoking marijuana it does not agree with me.

Somebody said to try Delta 9 but nobody told me it converted to 11 hydroxy. It was the most uncomfortable stimulating horrible experience from that 15 mg Delta 9 gummy where I was stuck on a couch vibrating for like 8 hours. It was horrible.

Apparently THC is very quickly decarboxylated at 230 to 245° Fahrenheit. Vape coils are somewhere around 390 to 450° so that's why you can vape THCA.
Right! It seems to be the goldilocks point for a seemingly instant conversion.

I only get stuck on it because there's a particular brand of disposable pens I like, and furthermore a particular flavor that they have, that is just the god damn best thing for daily use.

After picking one up every week or two for a few months, I looked at the chart on the back of the packaging and saw that it was listing THCa at like 62% and delta9 at like 1.3% or something. So that tripped me out and I looked further, right? Started comparing to other pens that I liked and others that were "ehhhhhh okay."

Seemed like my favorites across the board didn't rely on THCA or any variation thereof-- it was actually all about a few select terpenes and CBV/CBG percentages. It actually felt like an epiphany when I learned that about myself.

And IME flower is a balance whereas to me these vape pens are one trick ponys.
Ya get ya need but at what cost if any?
Thoughts is all....
Yes.

Concentrate has worked its way into the daily menu but vapes are basically for 'no smoke zones' your luck may vary.

Yes.

Concentrate has worked its way into the daily menu but vapes are basically for 'no smoke zones' your luck may vary.

Absolutely, dude.

I know I started with the disposables because I thought it a really good idea to be able to take a hit and not have anybody smell a thing but strawberries.

half a year later and flower just doesn't cut it for me in the typical dosages i used to roll joints with. That tolerance gain is a mother fucker.

in heating with flame its destroyed to quickly to make much of a dent in the thc output ....its a chemical reaction which is generally a slow process......cooking in an oven at around gas 4 around 170c wrapped up in cookie mixture for 20 mins usually does the trick.. or grind v fine and mix with veg oil 3g to 10 ml in glass ...put glass in bowl of water {water must be higher than oil level in glass} then put in microwave 20 second bursts then stir well(take your time) before next 20 seconds repeat 3 /4 times then allow the oil to cool while standing in the hot water works well...wont work with raw weed though and wont work with an isolate or weed without an oil or cookie mix buffer will just destroy the goodies
that sounds like quite a hassle for a pot buzz. I guess if I wasn't in a legal state what the hell.

(sigh) Yes, THCA is converted to THC upon smoking. A lot of regular old pot is actually mostly THCA. When they do THC percentages, they measure both and call it THC (although they may be separating that more now, I dunno)

For the purposes of smoking, THCA is THC. For the purposes of eating, THCA must be decarbed. That's why you need to decarb to get off when making edibles.

Whether or not THCA is measured depends on the type of analysis done. GCMS can only measure THC because the mixture is heated and therefore decarboxylated during the analysis. LCMS or HPLC-MS can measure THCA because it does not get heated. The first is GC or Gas Chromatography with Mass Spectrometry, HPLC stand for High Performance Liquid Chromatography. For GC the sample must be heated because it is sent through a chromatography system to separate the constituents in the gas phase rather than the liquid phase as in LC

If they're reporting THCA values they probably did LC, if not its probably GC or its been decarbed before the analysis

I would guess they measure the THC/A as if I understand right that would yield a higher #?

however if THC/A cannot be GCMS'd and that is basically the industry standard maybe it is THC.

-someguyontheinternet-- Do you know if most labs that test THC have LCMS or HPLC-MS? These THC percentage #'s continue to interest me as they seem to mean very little compared to brand. (in MI for now at least)

Glad to hear that. Maybe GC/MS is just the piss test standard and commonly used on chemicals. It is the only one that has came up in my life as a laymans; perhaps I made an incorrect inference.

Here is a typical product label. I think that the THCA level is separated more often now.

E5YGRVBHHVCCHEFANMSJNU5IVY.jpg

With THC being .32% and THCA being 19.931%, you can see that most of the THC is THCA.

I found this interesting...

In Connecticut, total Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is calculated using the following formula:
Total THC = (THCA x 0.877) + THC
THCA is multiplied by 0.877 because not all THCA changes to THC when it is heated.