• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Thca, same thing as THC? Is thca, the same thing as thc sativa?

While it is true that not all changes, that is not the real reason for the calculation. Its because of the change in molar mass. When THCA is converted to THC you're losing part of the molecule, THCA is heavier than THC.

THC has a molar mass of 314.469 g/mol
THCA has a molar mass of 358.478 g/mol

So you're losing about 44 g/mol when it gets decarboxylated

314.469/358.478 = 0.877233749

The calculation is simply a conversion factor to account for the loss of part of the molecule

While it is true that not all changes, that is not the real reason for the calculation. Its because of the change in molar mass. When THCA is converted to THC you're losing part of the molecule, THCA is heavier than THC.

The calculation is simply a conversion factor to account for the loss of part of the molecule
Yup. THCA is a bigger molecule due to the carboxyl group. I think that's just how the govt website put it

(sigh) Yes, THCA is converted to THC upon smoking. A lot of regular old pot is actually mostly THCA. When they do THC percentages, they measure both and call it THC (although they may be separating that more now, I dunno)

For the purposes of smoking, THCA is THC. For the purposes of eating, THCA must be decarbed. That's why you need to decarb to get off when making edibles.

le sigh

i understand the end result. I'm hung up on the why of it, though.

it's strange that most people understand that decarboxylation is necessary for certain uses but can't a single one explain why that extra step is sometimes integral to the process.

I'm not arguing the validity of the statement. I'm kind of irritated at the connotations of the sigh, though, because it kind of seems like you're having a "here we go again" moment and then begrudgingly typing out a response that doesn't quite address anything I said. You just kind of repeated what's already been said, ya know...?

But that's okay! You reminded me of this and that's probably the nicest thing anyone's done for me today

Its integral to the process because THCA won't get you high. THC will and it can be smoked or eaten. Decarbing is always integral to the process whether its by the lighter or the stove or the oven.

If you want to use THC to get high you gotta decarb it, no matter if you want to vape it, eat it, or stick it in your patootie

you just connected a few dots for me in chemistry lol thank you. (dont worry im still too dumb to be dangerous) haha.

Answering Jibult.
You said
In the process of cooking, smoking, vaporizing.... don't those THC molecules heat up to the desired temperature range to allow decarboxylation?
which, of course, is true. They do.
I was responding more to
in heating with flame its destroyed to quickly to make much of a dent in the thc output ....its a chemical reaction which is generally a slow process......
and similar.
The debate seemed to be whether smoking decarbs or not. Of course it does. Most all pot is mostly THCA.
I shouldn't have made my reply to you. Not with a sigh anyway. I was agreeing with you.
Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Answering Jibult.
You said

I was responding more to

and similar.
The debate seemed to be whether smoking decarbs or not. Of course it does. Most all pot is mostly THCA.
I shouldn't have made my reply to you. Not with a sigh anyway. I was agreeing with you.
Sorry for the confusion.

All good, brother!

Honestly, I only went to go-mode because of that "sigh"

Like dawg, I had prepared responses for several different ways you could've taken this (i've gotten into SO MANY arguments about decarbing before, i was friggin' ready, bro)

I was NOT prepared for you to explain your response rationally and show me my confusion.

'preciate ya, fam! We need more like you around here!

Keeps me from getting into trouble, lol

Answering Jibult.
You said

I was responding more to

and similar.
Sorry for the confusion.
Most all cannabis isn't thca. Ones sold in stores are, even legal THC states sell thca. Normal THC eating it will get you high. Thca eating it will not,correct?

Most all cannabis isn't thca. Ones sold in stores are, even legal THC states sell thca. Normal THC eating it will get you high. Thca eating it will not,correct?
Decarboxylation is an important step for efficient production of the major active components in cannabis, for example, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC), cannabidiol (CBD), and cannabigerol (CBG). These cannabinoids do not occur in significant concentrations in cannabis but can be formed by decarboxylation of their corresponding acids, the predominant cannabinoids in the plant.

The cannabis plant contains THCA, which will not get you high, and that THCA needs to be converted into THC in order for you to get high.

Everything @brokedownpalace10 posted and linked is correct, but I'd also add that as far as the edibles - at least here in a non-legal state, I feel like that's a market that relies a good bit on mis- or disinformation by omission.

They're selling 500 and 1000mg thc-a gummies right alongside the psychoactive alt noid edibles and the d9 edibles. People are waking up to the fact that of all the legal options, thc-a is the best because it's the real deal - when decarbed. And it can be conveniently sold with no concentration cap, if sold in it's raw form, and preferably with some decarb mechanism - i.e. vape coil, flower to smoke, or as wax. But these gummies aren't decarbed, and I've spoken personally to a merchant and had them admit as much, that no, if they were they would be illegal.

Which I mean yeah, still good for therapeutic value, but we all know damn well no one is buying single serve packs from the basket by the smoke shop register for that. I've tried them with minimal effect, but that's all edibles with me these days. Could be some amount of regular d9 or some alt sold as thc-a in some of the less scrupulous brands of alleged thc-a gummies. Gotta be something keeping them in business, because no one is getting high eating thc-a. 👍