• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Texas Deputy Killed in Dawn No-Knock Drug Raid

Bluelight Crew
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2013/dec/24/texas_deputy_killed_dawn_noknock

A Burleson County sheriff's deputy leading a dawn, no-knock drug raid was shot and killed by the homeowner last Thursday. Sgt. Adam Sowders becomes the 40th person to die in US domestic drug law enforcement operations so far this year.

Although Sowders was killed early last Thursday morning, we delayed reporting the story because the sheriff's department refused for several days to release search warrant information that would have verified it was indeed a drug-related search warrant.
According to the Bryan-College Station Eagle, Sowders had obtained a search warrant for the residence after obtaining information that the homeowner was growing marijuana and possibly had stolen guns. The warrant was a "no-knock" warrant, meaning police could forcibly enter the residence without giving residents a chance to respond.

Sowders, the first officer through the door, was shot and killed by homeowner Henry Goedrich Magee, 28, who has now been charged with capital murder. But Magee's attorney, famed Houston defense lawyer Dick DeGuerin, said Magee and his pregnant girlfriend were sleeping in the home when they heard "explosives" going off and loud pounding at the door. Moments later, the door burst open and a person Magee couldn't identify entered the residence. Magee grabbed a rifle leaning against his bedroom door frame and shot Sowders. According to DeGuerin, Magee shot him because he "believed the man rushing in was an intruder and he needed to defend himself."

Magee has a felony and a misdemeanor drug conviction, but DeGuerin said all investigators found inside the trailer were a few marijuana plants and four guns that were all legal. DeGuerin pointed at the no-knock warrant as a contributing factor in Sowder's death.

"The danger is that if you're sitting in your home and it's pitch black outside and your door gets busted in without warning, what the hell are you supposed to do?" DeGuerin said.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2013/dec/24/texas_deputy_killed_dawn_noknock

This guy's murder trial should be as contentious as George Zimmerman's. The discrimination against the drug community needs to be paid attention to by the media.

were they afraid that he would flush the weed plants down the toilet if they didnt catch him by suprise?

"yeh lets do a no-knock, apparently he has guns so this should work out heaps well. i mean, if we knock he will probably try to kill us all ey..."

were they afraid that he would flush the weed plants down the toilet if they didnt catch him by suprise?

"yeh lets do a no-knock, apparently he has guns so this should work out heaps well. i mean, if we knock he will probably try to kill us all ey..."

I just wanted to say that I like your avatar. And also that it's very tragic that people are killing each other over a plant.

The comments on some other drug boards for this story are disturbing. If everyone could remember this cop had a family too that would be great too. I am against the drug war as much as everyone, but this man is just a pawn. It is another senseless death and celebrating it is below us. I want to stop all the death and violence in the drug war on all sides.
</rant>

This is a perfect example of why no knocks are absolutely retarded. Anyone in their right mind who hears an explosion followed by someone kicking in their door would grab whatever weapon to defend themselves and its not like the person is going to wait for said intruder to be like "WHOAH WAIT I'M JUST A COP TRYING TO STEAL YOUR DRUGS!!". Someone knows if a MF'er kicked in my door I would surely shot first and question later. Also I find it terribly despicable that our government clearly values POSSIBLY getting some amount of illict substances off the street over let alone it's own citizens but those who protect and serve for them?!? Insanity....

Why woul?nd anyone care if an enemy dies.
Probably because its a lose lose situation when anyone dies? How would you like it if the police blew you away and everyone was simply like "Oh another enemy drug addict dead....who cares!".

Why woul?nd anyone care if an enemy dies.

If you don't like the law fight to change it. Don't shoot the people whose job it is to enforce it.
I didn't agree with the invasion of Iraq but i didn't cheer when US military came back in boxes. I blame the politicians who sent them, not the people who were just carrying out orders. It's a pretty easy distinction to make.

^That and not everyone nor every cop does. Their simply few and far between.

You have to make the enemy pay too high a price to continue on.Attrition, learn it.
Such is history.

Last edited:
People are SO heavily indoctrinated against drugs, and most really have no idea why when it's pointed out to them.

The anti-drug arguments are so poor, they crumble upon any examination. I think the best course of action is to inform.

War of attrition? Against the government? That wouldn't go very well for the average drug user.

I'm not saying I believe that it is okay that it is us against them...I believe in care and compassion for all...for after all it takes all kinds. I've seen both sides of the argument and I believe we should turn our swords into something useful for once.

The comments on some other drug boards for this story are disturbing. If everyone could remember this cop had a family too that would be great too. I am against the drug war as much as everyone, but this man is just a pawn. It is another senseless death and celebrating it is below us. I want to stop all the death and violence in the drug war on all sides.
</rant>

Sorry if I'm less than sympathetic, but a cop knows the risks that come with this job and that is just a choice they make. They should especially know all of what can obviously go wrong with a no-knock raid for some marijuana plants. Stupid, risky move that police department made and unfortunately for them (the officer and the homeowner) it didn't play out too well.

The dead cop's role in this was a little beyond "just doing his job". He instigated the raid, and it was his initiative to make it a no-knock raid.

The search warrant for the home off County Road 278 was obtained by Sowders a week ago today, and was signed by District Judge Reva Towslee Corbett.

According to the affidavit for the warrant, Sowders received information from an investigator that Magee was growing marijuana and possibly had stolen guns, as well as other drugs inside his home.

Sowders applied for the search warrant after consulting with the district attorney's office, according to the original affidavit, which included a request from Sowders to enter the home "without first knocking and announcing the presence and purpose of officers."

The request was made based on information that Magee had weapons inside that, according to an investigator's source, he was not afraid to use, according to the affidavit, which stated he had an aggressive dog, as well.

It obviously seems stupid in retrospect, but also should have seemed stupid during the planning stages. You can't flush plants down toilets, and it seems to me that unannounced is a terrible way to raid a gun-owner's house. Most people aren't David Koresh or Chris Dorner. Most people would rather live and let live.

Go ahead, put your heads in the sand. If you had as many brothers behind bars for trumped up charges b/c the pigs were afraid of them, well maybe you'd be more realistic about this . The daily scrutiny I face daily , hourly by the pigs.......................................fuck it . Happiness is a warm gun.