Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Tell us about the last film you watched, mate!

C'Mon c'mon Peanut -Hup two, three, four...!!! ;)

Also saw this, good show, second viewing, pensive viewing...good good :)
The_United_States_of_Leland-226996998-large.jpg

Naughty Girl

it was french 50s slapstick/romance. on the same disc as Come Dance with Me. not as good. the only reason anyone would watch it is for early career bardot, and she makes it completely worthwhile. her character is the young, wild, ultra sexualized beauty--which she always plays well. and she gets tons of screen time; the movie is all about her.

it is typical 50s sexist. just like in every movie i have ever seen her in, brigitte gets slapped by a man. in this one, pretty hard across the face in a police station (oh, but a civilian does the slapping). the police pretty much nod in approval. she falls madly in love with and happily marries this man.

not that he is some great feminist--though anna is, including in his films--but i think godard is commenting on this in Contempt when bardot's character gets hit she physically hits back and it is a big deal that they neither resolve nor gloss over (highlight to reveal spoiler). i am really glad she did Contempt. also And God Created Woman, which even though is very "genre," i would consider mastery of form.

anyway, i sure do like brigitte bardot. hopefully i find at least one more movie of ^this quality that she stars in.

Last edited:
X-Men: First Class

Woo-hoo! Got time off tonight to catch it opening day. I was thoroughly impressed, this one is indeed first-class and definitely the best X-Men movie yet. McAvoy and Fassbender transform Xavier and Magneto from venerable backdrops to gripping, emotional characters that you connect with. It is a modern respinning of their origins that also captures the nostalgia of what was good about comics years ago, using a certain historic event and its surrounding time period to bring out what is inside the characters and add a bit of style. The action is there, but like all good action movies, they take their time with it, unlike many nowadays where ACTION SCENE #3924 feels exactly the same as the first one. All in all, pretty much everything you want from a comic book movie.

Harry potter and the Deathly Hallows 1....was way better than I thought it would be since I don't watch this series. This one was dark which made it a notch above the rest in my book.

Trees Lounge

written by, directed by, and starring steve buscemi.

it was that quiet kind of movie. started out a little slow, but i liked it.

samuel l. jackson pops his head in for like 2 minutes.

chloë sevigny is in it. and shows off an interesting wardrobe. she plays this teenage, angsty, dream product of suburbia. pretty cute.
also, she makes out with buscemi. quite the awkward scene.

BLMB-Poster-HK.jpg

Just finished watching Bruce Lee: My brother.

Absolutely brilliant, very modern. Fantastic score throughout & brilliant cinematography. Character development and on screen relationships were excellent.

Was great to see the story of Bruce Lees child hood. All the info came from his younger brother Robert Lee as I understand.

Definitely give this a go, you won't be disappointed. :)

BLMB-Poster-HK.jpg

Just finished watching Bruce Lee: My brother.

Absolutely brilliant, very modern. Fantastic score throughout & brilliant cinematography. Character development and on screen relationships were excellent.

Was great to see the story of Bruce Lees child hood. All the info came from his younger brother Robert Lee as I understand.

Definitely give this a go, you won't be disappointed. :)

La piscine ('69)

picked for early early 20s jane. she plays an adorable distraction. she wears the cutest little dresses. in this movie and in general. she's actually so pretty on film that it causes me literal pain--somewhere on the inside.

even besides jane, the movie was worthwhile. a examination of the mish-mash of fluctuating human priorities that have such a huge influence on the turn outs of individuals' lives.

on netflix instant. i'd recommend.

220pxxmenfirstclassmovi.jpg

X-Men: First Class, I really enjoyed this. By far the most engaging X-Men movie to date. Erik/Magneto (Michael Fassbender) is played very well and was easily the most interesting character in the film. Kevin Bacon is great as the baddie too. 4/5

:)

^ I've been hearing good things about this. Going to see it this weekend.

The Secret of NIMH

i usually keep it to films i am seeing for the first time here, but i haven't seen this one since i was the target audience. so...

i really enjoyed watching this. good movie to wake up to.

mrs. brigsby character was definitely my favorite part. in creative works, it is a thin line between a character that is strong despite being a female and a character that is strong as a female. like anna says in Une femme est une femme, the idea that having masculine characteristics is what makes a woman strong is bullshit (rough paraphrasing, of course). anyway, i personally thought mrs. brigsby fell on the positive side of this line.

and the movie includes plenty of material that could inspire fun and interesting analysis and debate on the topic. like mrs. brigsby does not have a first name, only a title indicating marriage and her deceased husband's last name. and she says something like, "Oh, if only jonathan [her husband] were here, he'd know what to do." but lots of characters only have last names in the movie. and i think that quote is more about human interdependence, loneliness, relationships, etc., than it is about anything specific to women. but i also think what i just said is bullshit to some extent. my point is there is room and quality content for debate.

the animation was also awesome. good mix between dark and uplifting. i really prefer this old style of american animation to what we have today. i am sure a lot of that is because it is the style i grew up with.

during the movie, i almost cried. twice. i've been drinking today.

Last edited:
^ Was way ahead of it's time. Near anything Don Bluth was ever involved in was absolutely brilliant.

^Yes, what she said, me too! Damn... Nostalgia :D

All Good Children
AllGoodChildren.jpg

...Some reason have been picking up DVD's with a similar theme the past few days...?!
Spoiler