Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tell Me the Coolest Thing You Know About LSD

cryptix420

Bluelighter
Hi there,

I used to think I'd want to try every drug. And boy, I made a pretty impressive dent. Now, being a little more experienced, I don't have much care for anything outside of mushrooms, acid, cacti, or MDMA. Of course, there's exceptions, it's just that the ones I've mentioned tend to give me everything I'm looking for, consistently, with the least side effects.

But I'm here right now to talk about acid, exclusively. I want to know the coolest, most obscure, badass, unfounded, scientifically proven, exceptional, or interesting tidbits, stories, history, facts, and more.

The ways LSD has benefited me and mystified and entertained and inspired and humbled me are nearly endless.

I don't care if it's about ergot, synthesis, laying sheets, pharmacology, personal experiences...anything and everything is welcome. I figure bluelight is my best bet for distilling information regarding this compound.

I'll start - I recently read that scientists were able to actually see and capture what LSD looks like when binding to a serotonin receptor. Apparently the binding is so strong and permanent, that ultimately the brain has to recycle that particular serotonin receptor. What I wonder, is how does this play into the therapeutic effects? Is this sort of like pruning a bush - removing undesirable or problematic receptors?

Also, I have heard that if you have an LSD crystal in a glass jar in a dark room, and you shake the jar to slam the crystal on the side, it will momentarily light up the room.

Like I said, I wanna hear it all. Give me your best. Dazzle me with how unique your knowledge about LSD is.

The ways LSD has benefited me and mystified and entertained and inspired and humbled me are nearly endless.

Then you're one of the lucky ones. I wish I could still enjoy it, but as I get older, psychedelics just make me dwell upon the bad shit in life.

Also, I have heard that if you have an LSD crystal in a glass jar in a dark room, and you shake the jar to slam the crystal on the side, it will momentarily light up the room.

That's called 'fluorescence'. If you add energy to a compound, the electrons jump to a higher orbit. When they return to their normal energy level they emit photons. This is not limited to LSD, and I highly doubt it 'lights up the room', but many crystals display this effect.

I'll start - I recently read that scientists were able to actually see and capture what LSD looks like when binding to a serotonin receptor. Apparently the binding is so strong and permanent, that ultimately the brain has to recycle that particular serotonin receptor. What I wonder, is how does this play into the therapeutic effects? Is this sort of like pruning a bush - removing undesirable or problematic receptors?

AFAIK LSD takes a bit to lock itself to the receptor and stays there while you are high but it does eventually leave the binding site.
Phenethylamines and Tryptamines just go in and out quickly, and they can be metabolised/eliminated when they are not bound.
I think this is what causes the LSD peak to last longer compared to total duration of the effects, while Phenethylamines and Tryptamines have relatively shorter peaks and longer tails.

Okay he was trying to find a drug to make giving birth easier better

Technically Hofmann (note: single f, double n) believed he was going to make a respiratory stimulant.

Back in ye olde days before mechanical ventilation, people were using a drug called nikethamide (nicotinic acid diethylamide) to stimulate a patient's breathing and circulation. Hofmann thought that maybe the same thing would also work with lysergic acid, and that the diethylamide moiety would likewise turn it into a stimulant. Yes, those were simple times with simple ideas of structure-activity-relationships. At any rate, crude circulatory stimulants like nikethamide would quickly go the way of the Dodo, while LSD-25's legacy lasts to this day.

I do not recall if it was ever explicitly stated, but the other major expectation for LSD-25 would, logically, have been that it might be useful in the same way as other ergot derivatives, i.e. in the treatment of vaginal bleeding after childbirth and migraines.
Sandoz had wisely decided to hire one Arthur Stoll to head their new pharmacological research division, whose work almost immediately bore fruit when he managed to isolate ergotamine from the ergot fungus - a lifesaving drug that Sandoz were soon making a killing on. This was followed by a number of other blockbuster drugs from the ergot alkaloid family, including ergometrine, methylergometrine and dihydroergotamine.

First thing that comes to mind is a remark of Dave Nichols about how the 5-HT2A receptor appears to be uniquely shaped to accommodate the LSD molecule, and probably doesn't accommodate anything else very well. Why did it evolve like that? "A philosophical point", he says.

Probably doesn't survive scrutiny, but a brain tickler of a thought for sure!

Source (last two minutes):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxjCSKMbZBA

Technically Hofmann (note: single f, double n) believed he was going to make a respiratory stimulant.

Back in ye olde days before mechanical ventilation, people were using a drug called nikethamide (nicotinic acid diethylamide) to stimulate a patient's breathing and circulation. Hofmann thought that maybe the same thing would also work with lysergic acid, and that the diethylamide moiety would likewise turn it into a stimulant. Yes, those were simple times with simple ideas of structure-activity-relationships. At any rate, crude circulatory stimulants like nikethamide would quickly go the way of the Dodo, while LSD-25's legacy lasts to this day.

I do not recall if it was ever explicitly stated, but the other major expectation for LSD-25 would, logically, have been that it might be useful in the same way as other ergot derivatives, i.e. in the treatment of vaginal bleeding after childbirth and migraines.
Sandoz had wisely decided to hire one Arthur Stoll to head their new pharmacological research division, whose work almost immediately bore fruit when he managed to isolate ergotamine from the ergot fungus - a lifesaving drug that Sandoz were soon making a killing on. This was followed by a number of other blockbuster drugs from the ergot alkaloid family, including ergometrine, methylergometrine and dihydroergotamine.

I know for a fact he developed it with a ton of other compounds for respitory issues and to make birthing easier

LSD goes great with any other drug / substance!!!

It's just... Which combinations are less or more harmful?

I think that dopaminergic stimulants in general in a combo with LSD could be dangerous, especially if one is sleep deprived from using stims.
But without overdoing it it might still be ok and very pleasurable as a recreational experience.

LSD plus 2C-B feel great to me, with the LSD bringing some internal perceptions forward to balance the marked sensorial intensity of 2C-B.
Don't take more than 100-150ug of LSD and 15mg-20mg of 2C-B if you wanna be able to interact with other people in a way that makes sense.
This is if you have no or low tolerance.

LSD is one of the easiest substance to store away for long or short safe keeping.

Some bread gets Ergot in, loads of people go mad

Guy made some stuff, managed to digest some by mistake, rode a bike & got fucked up.

Years later some hippie people eat a load, stick flowers in their hair, Ken Kesey comes along with some band & a bus, stuff gets banned.

People still sticking stuff in their hair & eating it.

lysergic Acid Class 101

The world's first intentional LSD trip was conducted by Hofmann on 4/19 1943 at exactly 4:20pm

There are a number of coincidences/synchronicities around LSD and nuclear weapons. It emerged around the same time as atomic weapons were invented. Many of the biggest producers and distributors of LSD were the sons of people who were working on the Manhattan Project. Many military servicemen responsible for safeguarding the US nukes were tripping balls between shifts.

Weird!

There was very extensive testing of LSD in the united states in the 50's/60's in psychotherapy, tons of people in california who went to certain, often high-dollar therapy offices were given LSD, and it makes you wonder if that was the reason SF and California ended up like it did.

Then you're one of the lucky ones. I wish I could still enjoy it, but as I get older, psychedelics just make me dwell upon the bad shit in life.

That's called 'fluorescence'. If you add energy to a compound, the electrons jump to a higher orbit. When they return to their normal energy level they emit photons. This is not limited to LSD, and I highly doubt it 'lights up the room', but many crystals display this effect.

That's super cool. In order to maximize how many points I get when telling my girlfriend about this, do you know specifically which crystals?

The world's first intentional LSD trip was conducted by Hofmann on 4/19 1943 at exactly 4:20pm

There are a number of coincidences/synchronicities around LSD and nuclear weapons. It emerged around the same time as atomic weapons were invented. Many of the biggest producers and distributors of LSD were the sons of people who were working on the Manhattan Project. Many military servicemen responsible for safeguarding the US nukes were tripping balls between shifts.

Weird!

That is very interesting. Thought provoking.

Good stuff so far. Anyone know any interesting stuff about pharmacology? I've read that LSD can increase DHEA levels. Would make sense considering how powerful acid can make you feel.