Taste in music

Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member
For my entire life I've had an extremely eclectic and diverse taste in music. I listen to every genre impartially, from gangster rap to classical.

I feel like everyone else I know IRL listens to one, maybe two or three genres of music. Other people seem to focus on just a few styles.

I really don't understand this. Why would you go through life only eating hotdogs and donuts when there is a whole world of food out there to enjoy?

Like my best friend listens exclusively to hip hop/rap. Now he is a fucking wizard genius and knows 1000x more than I do about that genre (and I know A LOT), but I don't understand really.

I have different moods, different vibes all throughout every day. I listen to everything, and use music for different purposes such as enhancing a mood or changing a mood.

I'll be honest. I really dislike US southern country music - but even in that genre I find things I love (like Hank Williams III, outlaw country).

I have some hearing loss due to blasting my ears when I was a teenager, and it scares me a bit. I can't imagine life without music.

I don't know, just wanted some other opinions on the topic. I think music is literally a gift from the gods and hearing may be my favorite sense.

I realized how dumb this question was.

People do like people do.

However I'm like this with drugs as well. I have preferences but I love ALL drugs.

Maybe this has more to do with personality than taste?

I'll just leave it up maybe other people can chime in.

I realized how dumb this question was.

People do like people do.

However I'm like this with drugs as well. I have preferences but I love ALL drugs.

Maybe this has more to do with personality than taste?

I'll just leave it up maybe other people can chime in.
The grunge is deep in my soul. I'm listening to Follow The Leader the whole album right now though after our chat.

Kurt Cobain was a fucked up, beautiful soul. Only rock star I give a shit about. Too bad he didn't survive that shitty middle 20s phase. Things could've gone drastically better and he wouldve grown the fuck up if he didn't let that intensity overwhelm him.

1994 pics last he was alive. Really lost person, deserved a better mental health treatment than he had. Totally out of control.

And this one 1990

The grunge is deep in my soul. I'm listening to Follow The Leader the whole album right now though after our chat.

Kurt Cobain was a fucked up, beautiful soul. Only rock star I give a shit about. Too bad he didn't survive that shitty middle 20s phase. Things could've gone drastically better and he wouldve grown the fuck up if he didn't let that intensity overwhelm him.

1994 pics last he was alive. Really lost person, deserved a better mental health treatment than he had. Totally out of control.

And this one 1990

Kurt is a prime example of how fame, money and drugs do not equal happiness or health.

I'm honestly torn about his death. The evidence really does not support a concrete suicide.

But anyways, dude grunge runs deep in my veins. I fucking love it. But I also love to listen to other types of music just as much.

A good portion of my teenager years was grunge and heroin, meth and crack (often together).

Now that I think back I can kinda trace my music taste. Random radio shit > techno/EMD/ambient > grunge > gangster rap > then my music taste exploded into what it is today. It changed as I aged.

Let me say that while I don't understand why people might stick to just a few genres, I don't blame or look down on them for it. I just don't understand and I leave it at that. I'm a very tolerant person and I'm certainly not looking down on people because they don't listen to various music like I do.

I used to know a guy who ate nothing but doritos and pizza. Literally.... doritos and pizza. I don't understand that, but he seemed happy so more power to him.

It was just a random thought I had.

Kurt is a prime example of how fame, money and drugs do not equal happiness or health.

I'm honestly torn about his death. The evidence really does not support a concrete suicide.

But anyways, dude grunge runs deep in my veins. I fucking love it. But I also love to listen to other types of music just as much.

A good portion of my teenager years was grunge and heroin, meth and crack (often together).

Now that I think back I can kinda trace my music taste. Random radio shit > techno/EMD/ambient > grunge > gangster rap > then my music taste exploded into what it is today. It changed as I aged.

Let me say that while I don't understand why people might stick to just a few genres, I don't blame or look down on them for it. I just don't understand and I leave it at that. I'm a very tolerant person and I'm certainly not looking down on people because they don't listen to various music like I do.

I used to know a guy who ate nothing but doritos and pizza. Literally.... doritos and pizza. I don't understand that, but he seemed happy so more power to him.

It was just a random thought I had.
I'm still playing the same grunge I played as a teenager for a large portion of my listening. Never did bother learning much more for covers.

This I've been covering every show I've ever done since I was 16 or so. Okay it every day. Must be annoying to people who spent much time with me lol.

I'm a metal head too variety of subgenres but it's maybe 25% of my listening.

I'm still playing the same grunge I played as a teenager for a large portion of my listening. Never did bother learning much more for covers.

This I've been covering every show I've ever done since I was 16 or so. Okay it every day. Must be annoying to people who spent much time with me lol.

I'm a metal head too variety of subgenres but it's maybe 25% of my listening.

Dude I've had the impulse to learn guitar many, many times over the years... for one reason... to play and sing grunge music. If I learned guitar I would 100% play grunge music.

I love it so much.

However I don't live like that every day. I mean I don't have that one specific emotion that grunge satisfies constantly. My mood/vibe changes a lot. I guess, hard to explain.

Sometimes I feel like Sublime, sometimes I feel like AIC, sometimes I feel like Eminem.... sometimes I feel like DJ Tiesto.... you know.

I envy (in a good way) your creativeness and ability to play/sing music CONFIDENTLY. You inspire me. I just need to pick up a damn guitar and see what happens.

Props to you bro! for real

@Coxenormous

I want to record myself playing this song and play it at my funeral. I love this song dearly, very close to me.

you know what man, I'm going to buy a guitar within the next few weeks when I can afford it

I promise you that

you inspire me <3

Hard to learn guitar as an adult. Nearly impossible. But if you really just want to play grunge, you just need an electric and learn power chords. Pretty easy. Cobain was actually a pretty bad guitarist.

To really learn lead will take a lifetime and will require superior agility and muscle memory in your hands. Unlikely to happen as an adult.

@Coxenormous

I want to record myself playing this song and play it at my funeral. I love this song dearly, very close to me.

you know what man, I'm going to buy a guitar within the next few weeks when I can afford it

I promise you that

you inspire me <3

That's basically how I started, my dad had a sheet line this laying around. Went from there. Learn rhythm first and foremost, nothing sounds good without rhythm, at least in rock n roll. The strumming / picking hand is more important than the fretting by far. Way too many lead guitarists who sound like hell because they're just a little ”off” everything they do for timing.

Hard to learn guitar as an adult. Nearly impossible. But if you really just want to play grunge, you just need an electric and learn power chords. Pretty easy. Cobain was actually a pretty bad guitarist.

To really learn lead will take a lifetime and will require superior agility and muscle memory in your hands. Unlikely to happen as an adult.

:(...... you just made me really sad

I absolutely believe that things are way easier to pick up as a kid but I refuse to believe its impossible as an adult

There are lots of things I learned as a kid but improved upon when I was an adult such as computer programming

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. In fact, I'll prove it to you. I'll sing you a song in a few months.

Now I REALLY want to learn guitar

Get one. You will be playing songs in a week just from a few open chords. Get a MIM strat.

But mastering the guitar. Playing hendrix style barre chords. Taking years just to condition your hands. If you practice lots, you can do it.

Depends what you want to play too. Blues lead is very, very, very hard. Would play 8 hours a day at times practicing. I'm better than the average joe, but nothing compared to plenty of people I know. I didn't pick up a guitar until my early 20's. But played piano since I was 5.

I like classical music because there's always something to learn about what you're listening to. It's fun to analyze which makes it enjoyable to me. I don't like much else though I can appreciate the musicianship of rock, metal and jazz. Admittedly, I tend to like a handful of people in these genres and get tired of it after a while. I don't like country but I've done recording for a country band. It was fun writing violin solos and filler but it isn't my dream gig

Rock is fun to play as well but I kind of want to protect my hearing

Get one. You will be playing songs in a week just from a few open chords. Get a MIM strat.

But mastering the guitar. Playing hendrix style barre chords. Taking years just to condition your hands. If you practice lots, you can do it.

Depends what you want to play too. Blues lead is very, very, very hard. Would play 8 hours a day at times practicing. I'm better than the average joe, but nothing compared to plenty of people I know. I didn't pick up a guitar until my early 20's. But played piano since I was 5.

Absolutely and I agree with you. They say it takes 10,000 hours to "master something", and when your brain is young and plastic it comes way easier. I have certainly noticed this and experienced this.

Ultimately I just want to play a few simple songs to soothe my soul and maybe impress some girl.

I sing along to a ton of grunge songs and feel it in my bones, it's only natural for me to want to play the song as well, right?

There are some songs I literally feel in my fucking bones, they are apart of my life.... I owe homage to, you know?

If you feel something is right, repeat it into the universe. In a way learning to play a song is like having a baby.... reproduction... continuation of something beautiful.... it's sacred...

ya know?

I like classical music because there's always something to learn about what you're listening to.

I used to take acid/mushrooms/heroin/meth... whatever... and go to my mother's orchestra concerts. She was lead cello in major world known bands like the SFO orchestra.

Ever since then I have TRULY appreciated classical music. It's magic. All music is magic. I love ALL music. Except for generic ass country soungs (sorry my southern friends lol).

I also appreciate all genres. I learned to play classical piano when I was in my teen years, and also learned electric and acoustic guitar and loved to play Pink Floyd. I'm also an avid listener of EDM. I truly listen to a wide array of genres, and appreciate the beauty in them all because when I was learning classical piano I learned the basics of what it took to make music.

Is Christmas music a genre?

I've been listening to it this week because of the radio, not really disappoint but I know many are.

my-disappointment-is-immeasurable-and-my-day-is-ruined-when-29128894.png

Is Christmas music a genre?

I've been listening to it this week because of the radio, not really disappoint but I know many are.

my-disappointment-is-immeasurable-and-my-day-is-ruined-when-29128894.png

absolutely! I love Christmas music!

Excellent music.

until Jan 1st....

also my mother loved playing African music during christmas. I don't know, I don't care but I liked it!

I used to take acid/mushrooms/heroin/meth... whatever... and go to my mother's orchestra concerts. She was lead cello in major world known bands like the SFO orchestra.

Ever since then I have TRULY appreciated classical music. It's magic. All music is magic. I love ALL music. Except for generic ass country soungs (sorry my southern friends lol).
That's cool. Like I said I don't mind playing/writing instrumental country music but if I had to write songs or otherwise listen to country songs I wouldn't enjoy that at all. I forgot to mention folk music. I can get into that a bit. I've played with an Irish group off and on and it's kind of fun. It's all instrumental. Eivør is easy to listen to. I don't know

That's cool. Like I said I don't mind playing/writing instrumental country music but if I had to write songs or otherwise listen to country songs I wouldn't enjoy that at all. I forgot to mention folk music. I can get into that a bit. I've played with an Irish group off and on and it's kind of fun. It's all instrumental. Eivør is easy to listen to. I don't know
US southern country music /=/ folk music.

I love folk. you could say folk was the origin of ALL music!

My only problem with US southern country music is it literally all sounds the same. Every song is the same.

No offense to any of my southern brethren - I still love outlaw country!

yeeehaw

(and if anyone is curious I was BORN in the south and lived about 7 years of my adult life there. I'm not an outsider.)