Tapering ritaling

Ritalin addicted

Greenlighter
Hi guys,

I already posted on mental health section about the problems I've been having due to ritalin abuse. Now I am tapering. From 30 pills I have gone to 23 in 3 days. I started using for a public employment exam which is taking place in one month.
My question is, is it okay tapering one pill per day? I can't concentrate well and can't even study 5 hours a day when I used to study 10 hours, every day, from Monday to Sunday.
What meds could I take to avoid the terrible withdrawal? I am on tradozone, aripiprazol, quetiapine and now I am thinking of taking some ephedrine. The ephedrine I used in the past, when was a bodybuilder and never have been hooked, didn't have withdrawal.

The other option I have is going to detox center but there I obviously can't study and can't practice for the exam.

Thank you guys

Does Ritalin have a strong physical withdrawal? I had always assumed it was similar to other sister stimulants in that they give you a really bad mood, boredom, but no real physical pain to drop them. I admit I don't know a whole lot about Ritalin addiction, however.

Either way, the real question is: How do you feel tapering one pill a day? It seems you have already been doing this for a few days.

I'm not quite following your question. How much Ritalin do you currently use a day? Why are you reducing your dose? Is it under medical supervision?

Fwiw, you shouldn't really get physical withdrawal but may get mental cravings. Its been my experience that tapering that kind of drug is more for the mental component than anything physical.

Yeah you can just cold turkey it and use it whenever needed but try not to use it daily unless of course you told to do that by your Dr.

I binged on this stuff and could take +100mg in a one evening when partying and then use it during the week by taking 10 to 30mg per day just to be more focused and energetic.

When I lost my supply I just quitted and haven’t been using for years and never experienced any physical withdrawal symptoms but I still sometimes crave for it but it doesn’t affect my daily life in any way.

Just go down slowly at a pace you feel comfortable with. you may want to invest in a cheap scale that is capable of measuring miligrams so you can step down fractions of a pill rather than a whole pill. From what I have heard from friends, it is mostly psychological, affecting mood and motivation. People talk about it feeling difficult to think and get motivated. I never really heard anyone talk about terrible withdrawals, but I'm guessing htings like benzos would help with the mood and maybe mild or light stimulants might help with the motivation, but ultimately the goal should be to get off stimulants.

Exercise has been proven to increase dopamine levels as well as other neurotransmitters, which will help. Getting good nutrition is also pretty important so your body has what it needs to repair and replenish itself.

10 hours a day is a lot of time to spend studying for anything. What is your routine like? When I study I make sure to take plenty of scheduled breaks and also when I notice myself struggling to focus. Usually every hour I will take a 5-10 minute break and do something simple, things like simple chores like washing the dishes, going for a walk, or even just letting my mind wander scrolling through my phone. Every 3-4 hours I will take a longer break and get something to eat.

I think pacing yourself is pretty important. Pushing yourself beyond your limits may be good at times, but pushing yourself beyond your capabilities can be problematic. There are a lot of studies that show that productivity starts to drop after about 8 hours and even more so after 10. Pushing yourself may lead you to grow, but pushing yourself too hard or too fast may ultimately slow you down and cause problems.

Last edited:
^Stellar advice there :)

I struggle to do any one thing for more than an hour. Ten hours is a fucking lifetime to me. :D

Thank you very much for your replies, I really appreciate. I have many problems right now and one of them is being totally alone, I am glad I found this forum.
I have been using ritalin for 3 months, due to the exam. I have abused it a lot and now will come the mental issues.
Taking quetiapine doesn't help with my concentration, but I have been prescribed it. I sleep very welll while on it and only using 25mg.
I think tapering one pill per day is a lot, but am not sure.

Let me know if you need further details.
Thank you

Like swillow said there isn't really any physical withdrawal at all, you'll be tired for a while, but at your dose it should only be a few days maybe a week or so and you'll be back to feeling pretty normal.

I have been told that psychological withdrawal of ritalin is one of the worst, but I have some relief with your words now...

What about taking some ephedrine during withdrawal? I know it's not the case, but perhaps it makes it easier. My uncle doesn't care that my exam is in one month, he will decrease one pill each day until 0, and that is around 28th off February.

Sounds complicated with the uncle giving you the pills. Did he become aware of your overuse?

Ephedrine is pretty physically active, unpleasantly so in some brief and aborted experiments years back. There was virtually no mental effects really too :| I don't think you'll really need it. It doesn't sound like you've really binged that much at all but it's hard to tell. Did you take 7 in 3 days? That's not much at all, I don't think a taper or detox is really needed here. Are you taking one pill a day?

Maybe you could split the pill and have lesser effects but for longer?

Good luck for your exam :)

Yea, ephedrine will keep you awake, but it won't necessarily help with mental focus and does put a heavy load on your body/heart.

I have found studying without the use of amphetamine salts to be just as productive as with it, but that may be because I don't actually have ADD/ADHD but I really like stims!

Anyways, good luck with the exam and taper. Try not to make it the focus of your day. Make the focus of your day studying and acing this exam, try breaking up your day and having some fun too. Get outside, talk to friends, play an instrument/game, etc.

Hi guys,

Swilow, perhaps I didn't explain myself. I was takin 30 pills a day, now I've tapered to 22 a day. The exam is finally 25th of February, so I don't know what to do. And yes, my uncle has now the pills and tapers one a day.
Of course he is aware of my abuse. Anyway, I feel I can't take less than 22, in order to be productive.
Have a nice day

20mg. Yes I am crazy, I know... But now I have to quit, the exam is in 2 weeks and I am planning to quit cold turkey next day.

I've never tried CT from that level. Less than 100 mg - no problem, maybe some fatigue, fogginess, trouble focusing for a day or 2. You may want to just cut down to 3/4 next few days 1/2 few days later 1/4 next week. See how you're feeling. This is just a suggestion. You could try CT tomorrow if you are serious about staying off them for the foreseeable future.

Let us know how it goes. Much love with ya

If I keep tapering I won't be able to concentrate. Not to mention the depressed feeling. In 2 weeks the exam will be over and then I will quit. I hope I don't die in the meanwhile. But well I am taking less than 0,5gr of methilfenidate a day, a substance that is less dangerous than cocaine. I knew people taking 5gm of cocaine a day guy several months. But anyway, I know this is very unhealthy.

My higher bp was 13/9, taking 30 pills a day. Electrocardiogram was done taking that amount and I was fine.