• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Tapering Plan Mega thread - community project

Hi great thread, have chonic pain bring an ex addict its hard cuz I get oxys for breakthrough. Now I'm getting really sick if I don't at least 40ml I was doing 80ml plus my Fent patch. So ,40 it is and that's only in the morn when my pain is worse and in middle of night.

My doc put me on a two week norco 10/325. This Is my fifth day clean form 50mg of methadone per day and I'm super depressed and hopeless. I'm trying to decide if I should just bite the bullet and cold Turkey the taper plan or deal with being and emotional mess for two weeks. Help please

Well anything is better than going cold turkey off of methadone after being on it for a prolonged period of time. Are you saying your doctor put you on a two week taper using norco? That's a short taper if you were on the methadone for a while, but it's better than the alternative.

Hi all,

Newbie as a registered user but have used this site for reference in the past. In a nutshell swim is currently taking around 10 5-325 Percocet daily. Swim attempted to quit when they ran out last month, using Xanax (in low doses as supply was low) and Chlonipin. Still felt pretty crappy and extremely fatigued and depressed for about 4-5 days when Swim was able to get more Percs. Swim would like to get off the shit once and for all but only has about 30 left. Former drinker, switched DOC to opioids. Any advice would be appreciated to minimize wd.

Thanks

Mahi, I wish I had read your post earlier. Got another 100 tabs and am right back in it. Went off for about 2 weeks, sucked for week one, week 2 actually felt pretty good again. I actually was dx w/breast cancer in 2009 so it's crazy that I'm doing this to my body when I should be treating it like a temple after going through all that. The big guns. Surgery, chemo, radiation, reconstruction........idk what the hell I'm doing........

forget the swim, my ducky, my poodle..it has no legal fallout. the police are not going to go through the trouble of getting court orders for someone who is trying detox off medication. it is a myth, the feds have no interest in someone asking for help to get off drugs.

Hey mahi shhhh, don't blow their cover.

I am wanting to taper off my oxy's, and although I am reading this megathread, am not seeing much in the form of detailed success stories around tapering. I went C. T. in early 2013 off a lot bigger habit of oxy's, vic's, alcohol, and Xanax. It was awful, and the PAWS lingered for months. About a year ago I resumed pain management treatment, and sure enough, was able to get regular scripts. However, I see the writing on the wall... although I am taking them basically as prescribed, it is a matter of time before I either do start to do bigger amounts or this doc gets shut down, or my IR oxycodone get banned or changed. I do not want to go cold turkey again, ever!! So, anyone with suggestions around percentage of drugs taken each day to be reduced every couple of weeks and also: any success with tapering... would love to hear about it.

Last edited:
Hey yall. I tapering from an recreational dependence. I was doseing 30mg 3-5 times a week for about 7 months. Didnt realize how deep i was in till i couldnt get anymore. Anyway, im down to day 4 on 10mg. I sometimes skip a day if possible but between work and university its damn hard. I only have 5 1/2 10mg pills left so i plan on doing a day or two more at 10mg then dropping to 5 mg then 2.5. I have gabapentin and somas at my disposal for aches,anxiety,and sleep and adderrall for energy and mood(double edge sword with adderrall as the come down sucks and gives me cravings and makes sleep very tough). How long after completely stopping can i dose oxys without reseting what ive accomplished? I learned my lesson about dons. Ive used oxy recreationally for years and never had any wd! Do not under-estimate the don!

Hi,
You talking about Methadone (don)? I am shocked that you got addicted to oxy dosing 3-5 times a week... that is scary sh!t. That give me more motivation to get off these things. Thanks for your post, and just an FYI: I have read almost this entire megathread, and what I gathered is that, if you can do it, go slow... don't rush... if we move down every 3 days, we are constantly going through withdrawal, to step down waiting at least 5-7 days. But, if you have limited supply, you do your best.

Thanks Jewishgurlz... that makes sense. When I C.T. off oxy's in 2013, I was doing large amounts, along with vicodins, alcohol, and xanax... the w/d symptoms were rough.

I am posting just to put it out there that my tapering plan had a setback due to some pain issues, but I am getting re-motivated and back on track. I find that I need to re-read what I have written as my motivating reasons as the draw of the oxy makes me forget.

I have been injecting black tar heroin from los angeles intramuscularly, and have worked my way up to about 10 balloons a day. I need to get off -- i can't stand the guilt behind what i have to do to get the money and i can't stand this life anymore. This run has been 5 months. I'm 64 years old with slow metabolism and don't think i can hack a cold turkey. I am alone. I'm afraid of a fatal relapse and od if i can't stand the withdrawal. I know people who have died this way. So either a methadone or suboxone taper seems best. A 21-day methadone outpatient taper is available, but won't i end up suffering methadone withdrawals at some point. That scares me. How long would i need to wait from my last heroin shot to my first suboxone dose in order to avoid precipitated withdrawals? Remember, i'm old and my metabolism is slow. This is so scary. Hope i can hang. Please advise.

Well, I signed up for the 21-day methadone detox, to begin the day after tomorrow. Does anyone have advice for me on how to make this any easier? The clinic seems to encourage people to go on methadone maintenance, but I am determined to resist this. Can I expect to feel symptoms at the end of the 21-days, when they cut me off at 5 milligrams? Have I made a mistake trying this method, given I'm 64, have slow metabolism, live alone without much support, and am coming off of 10-12 balloons a day of IM black tar heroin of pretty decent quality? Methadone kinda freaks me out.

Well, I signed up for the 21-day methadone detox, to begin the day after tomorrow. Does anyone have advice for me on how to make this any easier? The clinic seems to encourage people to go on methadone maintenance, but I am determined to resist this. Can I expect to feel symptoms at the end of the 21-days, when they cut me off at 5 milligrams? Have I made a mistake trying this method, given I'm 64, have slow metabolism, live alone without much support, and am coming off of 10-12 balloons a day of IM black tar heroin of pretty decent quality? Methadone kinda freaks me out.
Good to hear you're making a plan to get your life back... it really takes a plan that's as concrete as an opioid addict's shit.

While methadone will reduce the intensity of opioid withdrawals a fair bit compared to short-acting ones, they also unfortunately extend the length of acute withdrawals. That being said, I'd still try to get some supportive medication for when you make the final jump off.

Clonidine is, in my experience, by far the most effective and important (somewhere in the area of 0.2mg every 6 hours stops most acute withdrawal symptoms for me). Something to help sleep (temazepam, zolpidem) can also be a lifesaver but must be used intermittently and for no longer than a week straight unless you want a new physical dependence even worse than the one you've already got. Something to help nausea/vomiting (ideally an ondansetron/Zofran prescription, but OTC Dramamine/Gravol is definitely better than nothing) can also be a big help. And lastly, some loperamide/Imodium can be used in order to not have explosive diarrhea every half hour - STRICTLY FOLLOWING the directions on the package, NOT to be used in megadoses!!!

Other than that, it's important to remain well-nourished and well-hydrated throughout the duration. A very good multivitamin with a generous dose of magnesium (I'd suggest magnesium glycinate, but if you can't find it, just about any form besides magnesium oxide is great) would be recommended. And one simply can't understate the importance of exercise and staying active! During acute withdrawals, you will probably feel more lethargic, fatigued, and weak than you ever have before and likely will find it exhausting just to stand up, but being active will really help your energy levels and can even help speed up recovery somewhat. And just like your body, keeping your mind active is important throughout ALL stages of recovery (acute, post-acute, and even very long-term) and can help your brain recover more quickly. You're 64 so I don't know if you play video games, but challenging video games are a great activity for this. If video games really aren't your thing, any kind of new learning can be immensely helpful though - learning a new language in particular is considered to be just about the best workout your brain can get.

Good luck and godspeed!

Last edited:
So you are saying I will still have a acute withdrawals after the final methadone jump off at 5 mg? Will they be bad? How long will they last? Would suboxone be a lot better than methadone or doesnt it make that much of a difference?

The withdrawals shouldn't be TOO bad if you're jumping off at 5mg but it requires an iron will - nay... a titanium alloy will - to have that kind of discipline. It's hard to say how long exactly, but yes suboxone is pretty much universally regarded as having easier withdrawals - IIRC they have very similar peak intensities but suboxone withdrawals get better significantly more quickly.

"Tapering" Your Buprenex Dose- Tips

I know that ur post is like 5 yes old, but if ur like me and have chronic pain you may have been to several different clinics. I have some tips on tapering if they would still b helpful

We sound very alike- check out Bup Tx

Damn u sound a lot like me. I stopped IR's almost 3 yes ago and I've been basically clean since, except for the occasional slip up. I highly recommend getting into a Buprenex treatment program. It seems like half the ppl I know are in one sadly, I guess its the area. Anyways since Bup is 30X more potent than morphine, and once i got over "chasing the high" i don't have any desire to touch any other opiates, not to mention its a waste of money (IR 30's go for 35-40 each lol). Its insane so now everyone is switching to heroin...its sad to see. Anyways, my point is that u need to research the clinics- find out how often visits are and how much each visit costs. Ask about drug screens- most of them have a process where after so many clean piss tests, you only go once/month. Now I don't want to offend u...it doesn't sound like u IV ur roxi's. However, if ur into it and know what ur doing and take all necessary precautions, its easy to isolate the Bup (regardless of whether it contains naloxone). Actually the company reps say oral absorption of the strips is approx 38% whereas the tablets are 32% They addNaloxone to prevent folks from just mixing with water n banging...u will get very little bup but lots of naloxone. However, if u order lab grade methyl alcohol (amazon) u can separate the bup from naloxone and filters to separate any other fillers, so all you do is suspend the dried pure bup with WARM sterile water or NaCl. This way instead of taking 12-16mg sublingualy, I inject 4mg and get the same effect except that I dose every 10-12 hrs if I'm in pain but some days 4mg gets me through the day. Since it reaches peak plasma concentrations in 5-10 min as opposed to 1-2 hrs, it seems like u need to dose slightly more often. The ceiling on an IV dose is 5-6 mg, after that ur just wasting. I will give u step-by-step directions if u choose to inject it. DO NOT do it without doing serious research and talking to me. This method helps with weaning and keeps costs lower, as I pay $500/month for 1 visit and 60 strips (no insurance). I'm not trying to talk u into shooting them, but I still highly recommend Bup treatment. Good luck. Hit me back with any quest

This is me again. I met with the methadone clinic doc and she straight out told me hardly anyone suceeds with the 21-day detox. She pressured me to go on maintenance, which I'm not sure I could ever come off of due to the hard, long withdrawals. I tried to start subutex maintenance twice, but failed miserably. Went into precipated withdrawals once and had to shoot thru them, which is dsngerous, and the second time relapsed after 27 hours in and it still wasnt long enough to start the subs. I feel like such a failute and feel suicidal right now. I'm so alone with no support. I dont know what to do. In patient maybe until its long enough to start the subs? I'd need a free bed so probably have to wait weeks. Not to mention havent got enough money to sustain myself on dope without stealing it, which I'm so done with. Just dying looks better and better, serious.