• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Tapering Plan Mega thread - community project

Thanks for the reply. Sorry about wrong thread I really wasn't sure where to put it. Plus it was about 3 am when I posted. Glad to hear the plan sounds ok. I will try to check in and let you know my progress if you don't mind.

No problem at all! :)

Everyone was new at one point or another.

Welp at day 7 second drop today. Everything so far is actually going really well. The first night of the drops are a little rough but doable. I just eat some klonodine. Helps a lot.

One problem I am having and have never noticed or had with opiate withdrawls is a hard stomach. I feel like I swallowed a car. Is this normal? First I thought it was heartburn so I got prevacid. No Go. Then I tried Pepto Bismo. Works but only for about a hour or so. I am going to have to get a damn 12 pack of pepto.

Any other solutions for stomach problems?

Thanks

Welp at day 7 second drop today. Everything so far is actually going really well. The first night of the drops are a little rough but doable. I just eat some klonodine. Helps a lot.

One problem I am having and have never noticed or had with opiate withdrawls is a hard stomach. I feel like I swallowed a car. Is this normal? First I thought it was heartburn so I got prevacid. No Go. Then I tried Pepto Bismo. Works but only for about a hour or so. I am going to have to get a damn 12 pack of pepto.

Any other solutions for stomach problems?

Thanks

Did the imodium you said you got help at all? There are gonna be symptoms that are just going to be present pretty much no matter what at some points. If the pepto works just keep it on hand. Just gotta figure out what works best. I never really ever get stomach problems with anything cause my stomach is pretty strong. I always have imodium anyways to help with the other physical symptoms. I love when I have clonidine it helps me too. Im down to taking like 1mg of subutex a day, that's all I have to look forward to in life right now lol it sucks so Im going through the same shit. Just keep holding on for the crazy ass ride dude.

Its been about 33 days since the last time I used oxy. I cant say i kicked oxy until im off the subs, damn it.

It upsets me though you don't have anyone to talk to? No one?

Everyone on here helps so post awaaay. Talk to a doctor? Like a psychologist, and not a psychiatrist if you need to vent to someone.

Good luck

ive been on methadone since september 10th or so of 2011 after using heroin for about a year or so (snorting up to a gram or two a day at the most, toward the end) and using opiates since 17 starting with hydrocodone.... im 24 now, but really the only super heavy time was the last year... then i went into the MMT program and started at 30 and after a month and a half got to 110 now two weeks ago dropped to 100 then last week 95, then 90 yesterday and no problems so far i did however miss one day today and i feel lethargic at 36 hours later and feverish but that could be from amphetamine use im rx'ed dexedrine... that makes it hard to tell today but I normally don't get all feverish like this from that medicine especially at non-abusive doses.

i missed last friday too and did not notice any difference at all...

my plan is to get off using as much time as I can until may which I am payed off for... or have enough money for set aside I mean... now here is the thing.. the kicker... I am on probation for a DUI and cannot drive till may... I was risking the drive to the clinic until today when I realized my neighborhood security is waiting for me to move my car and hold me and bust me which I would be fucked automatically then and withdrawling in jail which would suck...

what the fuck would you all do? I get a take home dose for sundays... so far thats it until next month then i get the whole weekend off.

I just now like I said began getting chills and took tylenol, flexeril, vitamins, etc...

my main concern now is how would you go about dealing with it knowing you cant afford to pay for rides every day especially since you live off 40 bucks a week for living purposes to begin with and risking driving is the best financial option since my clinic is only 10-15 min away from my house driving distance...

it is now too cold to ride a bike... the pace bus does not come within a close enough distance, and just everything is really working against me it seems now,

i almost regret as much as it has helped me with cravings and lifestyle changes so far... I do feel ready to come off of it as I notice how bad it is to be a slave physically to this shit and should have just knocked the heroin in the fall and did it that way. I would almost try to somehow reverse it and go back and just use a minimal amount of opiates like h to maintain maybe twice a day or something but thats A, not going to work, and B, I cant drop dirty on probation especially since my DUI was benzos and heroin they found in my urine... putting me in legal issues that made me want to get onto a maintenance drug to abstain and whatnot...

everything was going good and I was expecting to stay on a constant dose which I became stabilized to until the 45 days after the arrest and suspension of my license happened thus ruining my job... which is a driving job. unfortunately its under the table kind of so I can't exactly tell the judge that I want a probationary license to work my tax evading job...

I am allowed to get a breathalizer since it was a DUI, and I can drive again and work till may when I would have to pay the reinstatement fee... again though I can't afford that... No no one will loan me any money i am just fucked every which way so look at it that way...

its more than tapering now for me, its a bigger situation that is fucking becoming a nightmare. What should I do? Any opinions and I can go from there with replies back. I a lot of times do not return to the posts I post so I need to try to make sure I do that.

is 3 months of methadone going to be that bad and that long of a withdrawal? I know the OP said 10 percent per week, which am about doing maybe a little slower, its just the problem of risking myself getting there. I know I'm only at 90 and it will only get much harder.

Other stressors in my life make it harder and I should not taper until those problems are better but I fear if I get to may and still don't have my shit fixed money wise then it will be a cold turkey wd from methadone so I'm looking ahead and tapering now in case that happens.

Thank you.

ive been on methadone since september 10th or so of 2011 after using heroin for about a year or so (snorting up to a gram or two a day at the most, toward the end) and using opiates since 17 starting with hydrocodone.... im 24 now, but really the only super heavy time was the last year... then i went into the MMT program and started at 30 and after a month and a half got to 110 now two weeks ago dropped to 100 then last week 95, then 90 yesterday and no problems so far i did however miss one day today and i feel lethargic at 36 hours later and feverish but that could be from amphetamine use im rx'ed dexedrine... that makes it hard to tell today but I normally don't get all feverish like this from that medicine especially at non-abusive doses.

i missed last friday too and did not notice any difference at all...

my plan is to get off using as much time as I can until may which I am payed off for... or have enough money for set aside I mean... now here is the thing.. the kicker... I am on probation for a DUI and cannot drive till may... I was risking the drive to the clinic until today when I realized my neighborhood security is waiting for me to move my car and hold me and bust me which I would be fucked automatically then and withdrawling in jail which would suck...

what the fuck would you all do? I get a take home dose for sundays... so far thats it until next month then i get the whole weekend off.

I just now like I said began getting chills and took tylenol, flexeril, vitamins, etc...

my main concern now is how would you go about dealing with it knowing you cant afford to pay for rides every day especially since you live off 40 bucks a week for living purposes to begin with and risking driving is the best financial option since my clinic is only 10-15 min away from my house driving distance...

it is now too cold to ride a bike... the pace bus does not come within a close enough distance, and just everything is really working against me it seems now,

i almost regret as much as it has helped me with cravings and lifestyle changes so far... I do feel ready to come off of it as I notice how bad it is to be a slave physically to this shit and should have just knocked the heroin in the fall and did it that way. I would almost try to somehow reverse it and go back and just use a minimal amount of opiates like h to maintain maybe twice a day or something but thats A, not going to work, and B, I cant drop dirty on probation especially since my DUI was benzos and heroin they found in my urine... putting me in legal issues that made me want to get onto a maintenance drug to abstain and whatnot...

everything was going good and I was expecting to stay on a constant dose which I became stabilized to until the 45 days after the arrest and suspension of my license happened thus ruining my job... which is a driving job. unfortunately its under the table kind of so I can't exactly tell the judge that I want a probationary license to work my tax evading job...

I am allowed to get a breathalizer since it was a DUI, and I can drive again and work till may when I would have to pay the reinstatement fee... again though I can't afford that... No no one will loan me any money i am just fucked every which way so look at it that way...

its more than tapering now for me, its a bigger situation that is fucking becoming a nightmare. What should I do? Any opinions and I can go from there with replies back. I a lot of times do not return to the posts I post so I need to try to make sure I do that.

is 3 months of methadone going to be that bad and that long of a withdrawal? I know the OP said 10 percent per week, which am about doing maybe a little slower, its just the problem of risking myself getting there. I know I'm only at 90 and it will only get much harder.

Other stressors in my life make it harder and I should not taper until those problems are better but I fear if I get to may and still don't have my shit fixed money wise then it will be a cold turkey wd from methadone so I'm looking ahead and tapering now in case that happens.

Thank you.

If you've been using some form of opiates everyday for 6 yrs and are on 90mg of methadone for 3 mos then your WD's aren't going to be easy.... to say the least You might want to look into getting on suboxone to taper slowly. They use to have some kind of free sample type program... go here and look http://www.suboxone.com/ You definitely want to try and avoid stopping from 90MG. We've heard some pretty awful stories on that.

Does ANYBODY know a doc in Erie, PA that will prescribe some comfort meds like clonidine, benzos, etc. Basically a sympathetic person to opiate and sub users' plight. Especially when tapering. I just want to feel the LEAST uncomfortable as possible cuz i work with the public (server) and my disposition has to be good no matter what. If I feel bad, I have to pretend I feel great. Its just the way it is. Its either that or I dont eat, I dont have a place, I dont have shit without this job. AND I am 12 credits from my BS in Geology. SO THIS HAS TO WORK. I understand any taper will have SOME uncomfortable symptoms, I just want them to be lessened as much as possible and need the correct doctor. If nobody knows any, where is a good site to look to find friendly docs? or should I just call around? IDK what to do, I have started my taper. I was taking 2mg consistently, and I took 1.75 today. I plan on dropping .25 mg every two days. Should I skip days when I have off and am ALLOWED to feel like shit and let it show? or is that not a good idea?

please help with the doc if possible and feel free to add your .02 I welcome all experiences. I love you all.

Trychomes, I don't know about Erie, or anywhere. Where I am I tried to find a place to help me but it was either they wanted $600/mo for bupe or they wanted to put me in an inpatient program. Neither would work, so I told my primary care doc about it. He didn't know much about addiction and said he left that to the experts, but he gave me 4 .5mg xanax for a month, up one from the 3 I've been on per day for years.

If you have plenty to taper from, just take it slow. I don't think you mentioned what you're tapering from. Sub? I personally wouldn't do every two days. At least 3, 5 is OK too. You want your body to adjust fully, or as much as possible, before your next drop. I dropped every three days (pods) and sometimes it felt too fast. I was eating upwards of 80 grams a day of grounds, and tomorrow is my LAST day. 1 gram tomorrow morning, and that's it. You can take less on days you're allowed to feel like shit, but listen to your body and ask yourself how well you can deal. For some, the more WDs during the taper, the less after the jump. Tapers just spread the WDs out so they don't happen all at once and your brain starts to return to normal during the taper. If you fear that feeling like shit might lessen your resolve, just figure out your taper and stick to it. Knowing there's light at the end of the tunnel is HUGE.

I humbly advise you get some Kratom, and then DON'T use it until you absolutely have to. The last few days I've had to use some just to get through work, but be careful with it as it can become habit forming/addictive too. However, tapering from Kratom and Kratom WDs are nothing compared to opiate WDs.

There are lots of other things you can do to make it easier besides prescription meds. PM for links to that info if you haven't already read about it. In that area, I should practice more of what I preach. Let me know if I can help more.

Love and peace to all,
pnm

p.s. edit: There's no harm in calling around. They won't ask who you are and will be honest if the doc takes patients with opiate habits and treats WDs and stuff. Once in, the doc will likely be cautious to give you anything super nice, but that might just switch your habit to something else, and you don't want that. Definitely call around.

i'm on day 1 of the reasonably rough stuff now. no more codeine left to taper with, just imodium to soak the receptors with and plug up the bowels for the next few days. i do need another box of pseudo though.

how i got here? 100mg morphine b.d, 5mg valium t.i.d, 30/500mg codeine/apap 1-2 every 4-6 hours. i did a rapid taper while going on a getaway with the family. i dropped the morphine completely and started day one (20 codeine tablets) with taking 150mg of codeine throughout the day, 150mg the next (60, 30, 60 dosing wise i think mainly), then started taking them as needed over the next 3 days - where i was ale to span out the last 10 reasonably comfortable considering the conditions.

to make up for the loss of valium i was taking baclofen as needed, no more than 25mg/dose, 100mg/day and pseudophed pe (phenylehphrine) 4 times daily to help with the runny nose and teary eyes at times.

taking 2 cups of benefibre supplement a day to make things easier down there and to lighten up my food load; i made some pretty bad choices looking back. eating all the wrong combinations of food groups. diet is now level.

i've otherwise just been taking my prescribed anti-psychotic and what mainly constitutes as a valerian sleep supplement.

i'm looking forward to the final phase :p

i'm on day 1 of the reasonably rough stuff now. no more codeine left to taper with, just imodium to soak the receptors with and plug up the bowels for the next few days. i do need another box of pseudo though.

how i got here? 100mg morphine b.d, 5mg valium t.i.d, 30/500mg codeine/apap 1-2 every 4-6 hours. i did a rapid taper while going on a getaway with the family. i dropped the morphine completely and started day one (20 codeine tablets) with taking 150mg of codeine throughout the day, 150mg the next (60, 30, 60 dosing wise i think mainly), then started taking them as needed over the next 3 days - where i was ale to span out the last 10 reasonably comfortable considering the conditions.

to make up for the loss of valium i was taking baclofen as needed, no more than 25mg/dose, 100mg/day and pseudophed pe (phenylehphrine) 4 times daily to help with the runny nose and teary eyes at times.

taking 2 cups of benefibre supplement a day to make things easier down there and to lighten up my food load; i made some pretty bad choices looking back. eating all the wrong combinations of food groups. diet is now level.

i've otherwise just been taking my prescribed anti-psychotic and what mainly constitutes as a valerian sleep supplement.

i'm looking forward to the final phase :p

I would be careful with taking a fiber supplement and Imodium at the same time. If you are going 1-2 times a day it should be ok. If you don't go everyday don't take fiber IMO. You can still get a impacted bowl.

Just be careful. I hope you are doing ok.

i've noticed i'm pretty sensitive to the imodium, as in 4mg is holding me easily each day with half the amount of baclofen. i think i'll cut the fibre supplement out as of this afternoon.

things are going well:) just hitting the couple crappy nights of sleep with a few minor aches and pains and it'll be all over and done with. last night hit around 5 celsius so i was aching, tossing and turning quite a bit.

i had a great meditation session earlier after a joint, just sat perched in the garden with my ipod on soaking up the sun. it was fantastic!

IM new here and i really need help! I had a 4yr oxycontin habit topping out shooting 1000mg a day.(No exaggeration-crooked docktor, dated nurse with script pad, made 27 an hr. ect) moved from de. to nc. and have been methadone clinic for 4.5 yrs.I get a month takehomes.Ive tried tapeing 4 times w no sucess. ive beenhigh as 137mg. but maintain around 80.ive tried 1mg a day ,got to 36 and was dying. tried 5 mg a week-no luck-. now i am 2mg a week.down to 51 from 80 and holding today. I support my wife and 2 little girls -6 and .9. I work wek to week check. No savings, and cant afford miss a day work. I also alcho. I drink 12 pack beer every day.im 35 and been drinkikig and ALL drugs in book since 16. i know im a mess. Deal with alot of family shit with drugs. I dont use any more. just maintain methadone and drink.I never posted because of scared of negative feedback. cant type very well hen peck. Im a ropes end with my meth maintanence. really scared .been reaserching and see w/d mabey last 2 months!!! especially with my 8yr opiet addiction and boozing that i will lose my house and family through detox. Loked into rapid detox from all-but no cash. thought about switching to subutex. Tried suboxin be4 methadone but still wanted to use. havent wnted 2 use on mehadone. sry im rambling i just feel im a mess . any advice on my situation.dont have much of a support group. No family ,wife hates clinic thinks im getting high, no friends in new state,only my female counselor, and with and overwhelmed and growing caseload- she dont give a shit anymore. any1 go thru this situation and are clean now? Any advice? Thank you.

I've been on Methadone off and on for 25+ yrs... switched to Bupe 3 yrs ago and have tapered down to as low as .33mg and couldn't handle dropping from there. However, I'm older with other health issues and the longer your on opiates the more difficult it is to get thru both acute and paws. Now I drink about 10-12 oz of vodka with 1.5 mg K-pins with 1 mg of bupe. If I had it to do over I would have stayed on MMT. Or even better I wish I'd stayed off when I was clean for 5.5 yrs in my 30's. I went back on after divorce, fired from job, loss of dad, and kidney stone with Morphine drip to pass.... all in 1 yr. You're young and can still make it slowly taper down to below .25mg bupe and jump with some comfort meds for about 1 mo. Get in group for support. I volunteered at drug treatment center those 5 yrs I was clean which really helped with cravings and triggers before my bad year.

i need help tapering, ok so i IV hydromorphone, i do about 4, 4-6mg shots a day. so what should i do to taper off? please inbox me with your answers.

try something like this.

day 1 - 4 x 6mg shots;
day 2 - 4 x 4mg shots;
day 3 - 4 x 2mg shots;
day 4 - 4 x 1mg shots and if you really want;
day 5 - 4 x 0.5mg shots.

abstain on day 6 and you should be left with reasonably well handled withdrawals when they hit. if you're uncomfortable look into OTC aides and other such items.

or you could go onto

day 6 - 2 x 0.5mg shots
day 7 - 1 x 0.5mg shot

Hey all... Just a quick question for those who have come out of the methadone cuffs:

How bad can one expect withdrawals to be if stopping at 5-10 mg /day, having taken mostly 5 mg daily doses for the past two months and a half?

I once stopped cold turkey from a 60-80mg/day methadone habit, with 6-8mg clonazepam or 40mg diazepam on top of that also on a daily basis. That was pure hell for a month and a lesser evil hell but still quite unbearable the next month. Never gonna do that again for sure!!! Haha, fucking lame and stupid, but did it and managed to stay off until I started chipping dope again just under half a year later. Since then it has been mostly benzo's that I have resorted to for recreational effects.

My situation wasn't that much different. If you take your alcohol and multiply it by 3, and then divide your opiate habit by about 3, that was me. So, I was as fucked as you were, just had alcohol on heavier and opiates lighter. I'm clean now.

If you really want to get clean forever, you're going to need a solution you won't like. You can't afford to miss a day of work? Then quitting is not an option, right? You're other option, not quitting, may hold you together for a while. But, you drink on the methadone, and use too sometimes? Anyway, IME, if you try to hold this together, eventually it will whip your ass and all the things you fear to lose will be gone anyway. You feel you're a mess? That's something in you getting honest and crying out for freedom. Listen to it.

I don't know how it might play out for you. I know for me that going to treatment and getting clean didn't ruin my life like I thought it would. The world and people have a way of being very forgiving when you do what feels like the unthinkable: get honest with everyone, admit you need help and want to be clean, and then surrender to whatever happens and go through with it.

Something to consider might be knocking off the alcohol and joining NA or AA. There you will find people who know what you're going through who will support you to no end, and for free. Instant support group. Just go to some meetings, speak up, say you're new, and get some phone numbers. It might just change your life. I didn't expect AA to change my life, and now I'm happier than I've ever been in my life, and it's thanks to AA. I'm also 35, and I also drank and used since about 16. Weird.

Methadone WD can last a looong time, but there are things that aren't addictive that can make it more doable. You need medical advice on this one. With your past, and as much like me as you are, I'd bet that if you try to quit the methadone on your own, you'll be driven half mad and will wind up doing something stupid or tragic. God, I did.

All I know in the end is that it took everything it took for me to get clean and sober and break through to this side. Trust me, over here, life is more beautiful and unimaginably awesome than you could ever even come close to dreaming of. Recovery is a bitch at the outset. It's like birthing the new, real you. Once done, you'll say you wished you'd done it sooner. But it just takes what it takes for every addict/alcoholic like me (and probably you) to get clean, sober, free, and happy. (Getting happy with being sober is what AA/NA are for. They don't just keep you sober, they are for getting you happy with being sober, very happy. Because really, who the fuck wants to be sober and miserable. No point.)

I hope you find some peace in this and can get free someday. I can tell you want to be free of it. For me, having used from 14-34, I had no idea how to live sober. Finding it out has been a fucking miracle of a journey. I cannot recommend it highly enough. And if/when you decide to hit that rough patch of road that lies just before freedom and peace and serenity, just know, and remember, it's more worth than you could ever imagine. I promise from the bottom of my heart.

Peace,
pnm

IM new here and i really need help! I had a 4yr oxycontin habit topping out shooting 1000mg a day.(No exaggeration-crooked docktor, dated nurse with script pad, made 27 an hr. ect) moved from de. to nc. and have been methadone clinic for 4.5 yrs.I get a month takehomes.Ive tried tapeing 4 times w no sucess. ive beenhigh as 137mg. but maintain around 80.ive tried 1mg a day ,got to 36 and was dying. tried 5 mg a week-no luck-. now i am 2mg a week.down to 51 from 80 and holding today. I support my wife and 2 little girls -6 and .9. I work wek to week check. No savings, and cant afford miss a day work. I also alcho. I drink 12 pack beer every day.im 35 and been drinkikig and ALL drugs in book since 16. i know im a mess. Deal with alot of family shit with drugs. I dont use any more. just maintain methadone and drink.I never posted because of scared of negative feedback. cant type very well hen peck. Im a ropes end with my meth maintanence. really scared .been reaserching and see w/d mabey last 2 months!!! especially with my 8yr opiet addiction and boozing that i will lose my house and family through detox. Loked into rapid detox from all-but no cash. thought about switching to subutex. Tried suboxin be4 methadone but still wanted to use. havent wnted 2 use on mehadone. sry im rambling i just feel im a mess . any advice on my situation.dont have much of a support group. No family ,wife hates clinic thinks im getting high, no friends in new state,only my female counselor, and with and overwhelmed and growing caseload- she dont give a shit anymore. any1 go thru this situation and are clean now? Any advice? Thank you.

Hello there. I am currently in a tapering withdrawl from hydros. I am very proud to say that I am at a six (10/325mg). Down from 25 (10/325mg) two weeks ago. This is my last day or so before the final jump. The only way I have gotten this far is having my husband take the extras with him when he goes to work. And count them out so I know and am accountable for it.
I have added to the tapering 6 2mg of immodium, magnesium, aleve, and a tincture for anxiety. I really truly think the immodium is helping tremendously. I have clonidine for the final jump off for a couple days. I am pretty damn proud of myself for getting the drugs down to this little amount and it's been really hard. I started going to NA meetings as well. It's keeping me feeling accountable. And it's so much easier just to go take five 10mgs to numb it all. But I was tired of it all.

My question is that now that I have gotten it down so low in the last two weeks how bad is the final dt going to be? I have always done cold turkey and kept relapsing. Good idea to just go with the clonidine first thing in the morning? Thanks!

Thanks. Husband is home for the next three days so I could technically do that. I tried using the clonidine when I went cold turkey a couple weeks ago but just couldn't do it. Still was thrashing about and super sick. So I was waiting for it to be after I tapered more, as in now.