• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Tapering off cigarettes?

Distraction is a great way to intervene the habit. I would play videogames for hours and forget to smoke. But all i have left to say is, control your mind. Whenever you think of picking up a cigg, use meditation and keep your mind blank for a few minutes.

Also your food is an important issue. Because every time you ate, you feel like a hit. Plan your eating habit wisely and avoid all stress and boredom completely and most social situations. The first three days are the hardest, remember that. Afterwards with enough willpower you shall finally be free.

Reading does the same for me as what video games does for you. If it's a good book I can sit and read for like 3 hours and I just forget to have a cig.

Well done, everyone!

Hard day yesterday but managed to keep it to 11.
Only had 2 so far today!

Hang in there, everyone!

Painful One - you're doing great! :D

Nice work C.E.!!
Excellent!!!

I did good yesterday. Had 8.
Doing pretty good today.
Glad to hear your doing so well!
I go through periods (sometimes days can be a couple weeks) where I'm exhaused an sleep like 18 hours a day. Today was one of those days as as a result it's after 10pm and only had 1 cigarette.

You are doing great C.E.!
?

I also have days where I sleep 18 hours or more even.
When I get migraines (cluster headaches), all I can do is try to get to sleep and sleep it off.
I am also having major problems with paralysis lately and just doing a few things makes me so tired.
That has also been putting me down.
Consequently I only had 4 smokes yesterday. I slept a lot.

Fireworks suck for me because of the constant noise. It can trigger one of those bad migraines for me.
I’m sure it is a lot worse for veterans. I hope everyone is doing okay.

I’m going to make my goal this week to stay at 10 or under. Ten tops for a day.

❤️

wish you a nice day! keep up with the progress, I think I will go down to 1 cig at every 2 hours, so if I take out the sleeping time (5-6 hours) I remain with 9 cigs per day .

I've found that the most efficient way to tapper from nicotine is to use strong snuss, use all the snuss and each time you put it in refrigerator the ones you've used lets say 20min, because there is till nicotine left but less. So each time you do it there is less and less nicotine, the taste is not the best anymore, but finally the nicotine's amount in snuss is so small that it does not have any effect anymore, after this it's very easy to stop using. I've done this various times and it always works, I like to use snuss so I keep 6 month break so the nicotine have full effect again, so I tapper off every time.

Congrats on your ed recovery!! I’m in recovery for an ed myself so it’s great to see others who are too. As for the cigs, I’ve been smoking for about 11 years and have been trying to cut back as well for the past two months. This is what I’ve found out to work for me.
I’m not sure what type of health insurance you have, but if you do have Medicaid you can get the nicotine gum/lozenges /patches covered for free. I strongly suggest asking your doctor about their opinion about it when you go to ask about the med. I’ve found out that the lozenges work best for me. I smoke about a pack a day and the lozenges have helped me cut back by at least 40%. Lately I’ve been slacking off with trying to cut back but I’m going to get back to trying again. So what I do is I’ll pop a lozenge in at the beginning of the hour and suck on it for about 30 min. It lasts for a long time because the way you’re supposed to use it is not like a normal mint where you try and suck on it till it’s gone, but with these you move it to one side of your mouth and keep it there for a few min but try not to swallow too much, let it absorb into your mouth. Then move it to another place in your mouth and so on. I find that the lozenges have more nicotine than the gum, and I’m not a fan of the patches because I like having something to do with my mouth, kinda like what smoking is like. There’s different mg for them and I was prescribed the strongest which is 4mg, then as time goes on and you start smoking less, you will get the ones with fewer mg.
I hope that helped and you look into getting some sort of nicotine replacement. I do suggest the lozenges but you’ll find whatever works for you. Good luck!

I need to keep my mouth busy (Coke Zero, cigarettes, pills etc) or I'll just constantly eat (I used to be 180, now I fluctuate sort of 104-115).
Struggled badly yesterday due to cutting dowm cigs and having less than half my usual opioid. Dealt with that by going to bed at 8:40pm. Worked wonders, though, as I slept 25 hours! Ended up with 9 ciggs yesterday and had 3 so far today (I woke up at 9pm).
My dad got me 32 Paramol to suppliment the DHC pills I'd normally have to help me through the weekend.
4 30mg DHC and 26 Paramol left.

I’m glad you got something to supplement your medication with. You can make it on that.
Just don’t stress about it and take more. I always do that when low on medication.
It is almost Monday now. You got this.

I have noticed that if you try and push it too quickly, it doesn’t go too well.
Slow and steady wins the race.
Even if we just hold steady for awhile, we are doing well.

I hope you are feeling alright and get your medication soon.
❤️

Hey I wanna jump in on this. I need to quit smoking BAD. I've had a leukoplakia on the side of my tongue since I was 18, I'm now halfway to 27. I've gone through loads of steroids 3 times as well as had it excised only to come back. It will eventually turn into a squamous cell carcinoma, and I would like to do everything I can to prevent that. I'm at a pack every day and a half right now. I didnt get to read the entire thread because I'm a little busy, but where is everybody at on their taper? And would someone care to join me on this road to tar-free lungs and good smelling breath?

I sorta slipped and had 11 yesterday instead of 10 but I'm on about 1/3 of the Dihydrocodeine as normal so I'm not being too hard on myself. Just need to make it through the night and then I get more.

I have not read the thread but I just tossed the cigarettes and the lighters and used nicotine patches from the local drug store. I did not think a taper would work for me, just IME, in trying to quit in the past.

My main smoking triggers are being around others that smoke. The other is if I am drinking. My boyfriend doesn’t smoke and that makes a huge difference. My other trigger is alcohol, but if there is no smoking in my immediate environment and no immediate access...the craving quickly goes away.

I smoked for a very long time and one night thought, “is yet another cigarette REALLY going to give me enjoyment and enhance my life versus the risks to my health”? The answer was no and I went to bed, got patches the next day. Stayed away from smokers. It has been three years.

Wishing health to those seeking to quit. The initial use of the patches and an ongoing smoke-free environment worked for me. I do get an occasional craving, especially tied with stress, but recognize it as such and mentally let it go.

I've tried Wellbutrin, nicotine replacement therapy, and Chantix. They all have failed me miserably, with chantix causing a psychotic episode. I am vaping now, and managed to quit with that, but now I'm smoking both constantly.

I'll start today. Only 5 more smokes for the rest of the night. Its only 7pm in TX, this is gonna be hard ugh. But it's on the internet now so what I say has to be true ?. Wish me luck guys!

I have not read the thread but I just tossed the cigarettes and the lighters and used nicotine patches from the local drug store. I did not think a taper would work for me, just IME, in trying to quit in the past.

My main smoking triggers are being around others that smoke. The other is if I am drinking. My boyfriend doesn’t smoke and that makes a huge difference. My other trigger is alcohol, but if there is no smoking in my immediate environment and no immediate access...the craving quickly goes away.

I smoked for a very long time and one night thought, “is yet another cigarette REALLY going to give me enjoyment and enhance my life versus the risks to my health”? The answer was no and I went to bed, got patches the next day. Stayed away from smokers. It has been three years.

Wishing health to those seeking to quit. The initial use of the patches and an ongoing smoke-free environment worked for me. I do get an occasional craving, especially tied with stress, but recognize it as such and mentally let it go.

For me it's a combination of boredom and restlessness. I have osteoarthritis in my knee(s) (God, that makes me sound 50 years older than I actually am) and I'm supposed to do frequent light exercise so I at least walk up the street and back when I'm smoking.

Some of the main triggers for me are the smell of a cigarette around me and seeing them at the store. This is why I failed in the past. I went for 3 month periods of abstinence 2x and just used the vape. But after smelling one or seeing them at the gas station I frequent before work have broken me each time. Any advice on avoiding these issues? Most of the people i know dont smoke so the issue of ssmokers always being a round me does not apply luckily.

Question for long term nicotine user (over 5 years daily), do yo uget anykind of dopamine high from it anymore? I've used nicotine over 10 years but never over 6 monyhs daily sometimes I have 2 years break, if I don't have tolerance and used less than 2 month any nicotien product, I get very nice dopamine high from cigarette but best is strong snuss. It reminds little bit amphetamine come up, with cigs it's short about 5 minutes but stronger, its nicotien crack, but with strong 20mg nicotine snuss it's little bit less stronger but gives that nicotine high for 30 minutes. I've asked peopel who ahve smoked over 10 years daily and they say they don't get anykind of feeling from smoking, only get rid of the craving. Maybe I have very sensitive dopamien receptors, I get very strong high from any kind of dopamine drug.

^ I definitely got get a high anymore. The first time I had a smoke I was high as a kite, I remember thinking no wonder everybody smoked these all the time. But now I might get a little buzz every now and then. Determining factors are how long it's been since I had a cigarette, what environment I'm in, mood/stress level at the time. If eveything linesup just right where I havent smoked in while and I'm stressed as hell and I can just be alone, a cigarette MIGHT give me a faint glimpse into the pleasant rush that I used to get almost 15 years ago.

Reactions: Ne0