• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Summer Olympics 2012 v.Usain Bolt= Insane Lightening Bolt

i can't believe the NYT did/said that about Lolo Jones BEFORE her race. fucking douche move. media and their obsession with how ladylike/unladylike the athletes are. why does gabby douglas have nappy hair? lolo jones is just a pretty face with no talent. omg look how ugly the female boxers are! omg why are the volleyball players wearing shirts?

nevermind that lolo jones set a personal best in a race with the fastest women in the world (where new world records were set)
or that gabby douglas was the reason the americans won the team medal
OR that every single male boxer from the american boxing team was eliminated, meaning the only hope for a boxing gold lies with a 17 year old middleweight named Claressa
or that our beach volleyball team is undefeated in olympic play, and has won every gold medal since the sport was introduced to the olympics in 1996

If the trend continues, American women will win twice as many medals as men in London. When you think about their performances here, they are conspicuous not just for how many podiums they are taking, but for how viscerally, hugely, physically powerfully they are doing so before roaring audiences.

suck it, new york times. winning olympic gold is women's work

as of last night, USA had won 34 gold medals. 23 of those were by women.

also, those legs are beastly.

unfortunately womens sports is no where near as popular as mens sports.

Call me a dick if you want, but I dint remember seeing the WNBA pre-season on TV with analysis and breakdowns

more tickets were sold to watch ladies kick a stupid ball on grass than were sold for the opening ceremonies. dick.

allyson felix being boss bitch

tumblr_m8hjf7EHoN1qg2mn9o1_500.jpg

AND claressa sheilds just won a gold medal but fucking NBC is showing freeswim 10K. hate you NBC.

Last edited:
US men still have more medals than the men of any other country.

I think the reason our women do so well in the Olympics is because of american laws like title 9 that have created a competitive sporting environment for women, especially in team sports. Many countries dont have that and none of them put the resources into it like the US does (except for China), so we are ahead of the curve. Misty May and Kerry Walsh said in their interview that the competition has gotten tougher and tougher each Olympics since womens beach volleyball was introduced as an Olympic sport because other countries started training for it more.

The same goes for men, there is a correlation between the amount of emphasis a country puts on a sport and their results in the Olympics.

I do agree that the media needs to stop criticizing american athletes for petty things though, especially right before competition.

they all use PEDs they only went after Lance Armstrong because he was the most famous

Same can be said for any sport... Barry Bonds in MLB for example.

Last edited:
NYTimes article on cyclists' quads:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/07/s...g-success-starts-in-quads.html?pagewanted=all

I'd like to know which is the correct plural form of staff: staffs or staves? I try to always use staves, but it confuses most people.

Stave is only applicable to the plural of Staff in its 'stick' meaning. Gandalf may own many staves, but a a companies staff is not their stave. And anyway, the plural of staff is staff, staff by nature is plural.

Stave is only applicable to the plural of Staff in its 'stick' meaning. Gandalf may own many staves, but a a companies staff is not their stave. And anyway, the plural of staff is staff, staff by nature is plural.
agreed. but...

the words "staffs" is perfectly acceptable to describe more than one "staff". going back to the example in this thread, you can collectively refer to all of "the cycling support staff" but each team has "a staff singular, the plural of which might be "the three staffs".

alasdair

haha I saw last poster: alasdair and I had a feeling it was about the staff/stave comment

AND claressa sheilds just won a gold medal but fucking NBC is showing freeswim 10K. hate you NBC.

They even showed that on Irish tv, thanks to Katie.

Usain Bolt, Living Legend.

Carl Lewis, suck a fat one.

Don't give a shit about the Olympics to be honest.

I just watch the women's sports for...well, the women!

:)

or that our beach volleyball team is undefeated in olympic play, and has won every gold medal since the sport was introduced to the olympics in 1996

You mean apart from those couple of times Brazil and Australia won the olympic gold (1996, 2000, 2004) ;)

And I would have also accepted "staffers".

agreed. but...

the words "staffs" is perfectly acceptable to describe more than one "staff". going back to the example in this thread, you can collectively refer to all of "the cycling support staff" but each team has "a staff singular, the plural of which might be "the three staffs".

alasdair

Can't say I've ever seen it in such usage, but I'll take your word for it.. :p

Anyway, funny irish commentary of the sailing http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=510_1344196881

--

Also, not lightening for whoever changed the title ^^.

True, but I thought Kenickie was talking about womens beach volleyball.