View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Suicidal? will dmt help?

TMNPothead

Bluelighter
Ok brothers. I've experienced mushrooms, acid, a few nbomes, mxe, you know that sorta thing. But I'm a depressed alcoholic unfortunately. I drink around a 5th a day. Now I hate my life...I mean what else do i do but fucking drink? Maybe I should just move where Pot is legal! because I love cannabis, love it! but it's illegal in Ky. So I drink whiskey all day, and i frown. the only drug I can think of that I think might help is DMT. I have such bad anxiety sometimes that psychs kinda take some prep to get in the right mood to take a journey. BTW I used to sell 2ce on the black market...so I know my Psychs. Could DMT really solve my depression? or should I just live this blah life with alcohol?

Mushrooms really help me to not jump off a cliff. Also microdosing seems to help me not drink quite so much.

Never tried DMT so can't comment about that, but interested to see what other people have to say about it!

..Moving to where pot is legal sounds like a nice idea ..But of course it being illegal doesn't stop me from smoking it every day ;)

It would not be good harm reduction advice to suggest you take any psychedelic drug while dealing with suicidal thoughts. Might DMT help you? Yeah maybe, but it could just as easily be a catalyst for you to hurt yourself. I would suggest a healthy active lifestyle and diet along with some sort of therapy, and leave the psychedelics until you are out of suicidal modes of thinking, and more capable of using the experience to further your recovery.

Could DMT really solve my depression?

I doubt that it would be that easy. I don't have any experience with DMT, but the only thing psychedelics ever did for me was to show me what kind of changes I need to make in my life to deal with my depression. But I still had to... well to be exact, I still have to make theses changes on my own unfortunately. On the other hand I do think that it can be attributed to me using psychedelics for introspection (alone at home) that I started to recognize the irrational nature of my suicidal thoughts. But tbh I don't feel comfortable recomending it, I think it can do as much harm as it can do good.

It's not going to solve your problems. But I have been seriously at my wits end before after taking too many benzos + other chemicals with personal things going on and if suicidal kinds of thoughts are going on in my head I always hit a big pipe of DMT first before going with my thoughts. Every time the DMT trip is so powerful and intense that I end up distracting myself from those thoughts and chilling out. Things don't seem quite so bad as they do prior to smoking when you see the bigger things at hand.

If you're depressed, I don't advise it, things could easily go backwards as you may just be shown that you are your own reasons for your misery or similar. But if you are seriously about to kill yourself what have you go to loose in that situation by vaping some DMT, if you're set on it then the DMT can at most reverse it or make you follow through with your actions.

By reading your post it seems your just not happy with your current situation, like your stuck in a bit of a rut. I would recommend moving to a different place first, changing your social circle, getting away from the alcohol and changing your lifestyle before trying DMT as a solution. Sometimes moving country or place can really rectify these situations because it helps break the pattern or cycle your currently in. I wish you the best of luck and I know things can improve for you.

I think mushrooms are your best bet for suicidal depression. But one dose every 6 months is no good - you need to go every 1-2 weeks for a few months to get the full effect.

Are you talking smoked DMT or pharmahuasca? Maybe pharmahuasca would help but you get quite a bit of nausea with it.

^ I am willing to bet by help the OP wants to stop feeling the way he/she is feeling and shift perspective to a more insightful and hopeful place. When I did think of "ending it all" what I really wanted was to stop the feelings coming over me. There are escapist ways to do this, opiates/alcohol, etc... Then there are the times the issues are right in front of my face and I need to chew it over, digest, almost think my way into a better feeling emotion through insight. Psychedelics being the opposite of escapist can help dissolve the some of these feelings through insight. Sort of starring into the smokey hell and moving myself to a better place through a trip, which can be a loosening of consciousness. It can and does work. I have always felt done properly a psychedelic trip is as valuable, if not more than 100 therapy sessions.

I can say without a doubt suicide was entertained by me when I really wanted to stop feeling the way I was feeling and thought that killing myself would be the break I needed. I no longer believe that. Part of me thinks I need to work out all these issues in myself while I am alive through insight and that I will pat myself on the back when I move forward past those feelings. Lessons learned through courage. Granted it has been many many years since I even thought of it. So I have been lucky and when I don't feel so well I try and move myself to a better and more hopeful place, either with psychedelics or even controlling my environment with something like music. The goal is always to feel better. It is pretty simple. Hope is very important in life, without it we stay stuck day after day and a new day is never a new day without that hope.

Feel better OP, and if you don't use DMT in the next few days feel better by listening to music or read or go out into nature. You can recharge with a little effort.

Last edited:
My recommendation would be to switch from alcohol to kava. Kava is like plant alcohol, only it is so much less harmful and has some psychedelic/entheogenic effects as well and goes great with cannabis. You can smoke DMT, do shrooms, etc in addition to this.

In fact, why not make experimenting with different herbs/plants your new hobby? That's how I got off hard drugs. Eventually I came to realize I liked herbs better, as not only did they have some very pleasant effects but they did not make me hate my life as a side effect.

your looking at a psychedelic handgun loaded with only one bullet really.
Dmt could help YOU fix YOU. But dmt alone wont fix you.

DMT could make you decide to end it all. Thats goes for any psychedelic really... Idk heavily suggest against tbh :/

Good part is that DMT (and probably psilocin etc) suppress activity in the default mode network responsible for depression, anxiety, social phobias... part of what allows people to be more accepting and reconciling thanks to such drugs. But as is said: without major guidance through e.g. an ayahuasca trip it is very risky if a person is too desperate - you can't predict what someone will do when desperate and psychically tortured.

I'm personally in a terrible place as well, but I am holding off any tripping as long as I am too uncertain of myself despite therapeutic promise and good results in the past. Just very risky.

Also smoking DMT is in my experience such a sudden brief intense flash that it is more likely to overwhelm and go so fast that it is hard to really take away from it the full story / lessons / therapy. It has given me comfort in the past when I was not depressed but sad when someone died, but still I really don't think it's that suitable when smoked.

Psychedelics are tools that can be used to sculpt your mind. That being said, you must use them delicately and with the upmost respect. DMT can help you but start very low and work your way up. These drugs are much better to use when you're in a hopeful mindset, if you don't care what the hell happens to you going into a trip your mind will pave roads leading you deeper into that mindset.

Micro dose ald or lsd every 3-4 days. It's done wonders for my depression, hopefully it can work for you too.
Good luck

Good responses. I pretty much agree with them all. I do agree with Solipsis that smoked DMT can be a sudden and brief experience and it probably does just overwhelm rather than gently lead to insights.

OP, stop back. Everyone that typed in this thread did it by some form of caring. I can feel it. :)

Micro dose ald or lsd every 3-4 days. It's done wonders for my depression, hopefully it can work for you too.
Good luck

How many micrograms do you take?

And Solipsis I have had the same feeling as you about smoking DMT, too intense and too brief for me to really work with. I have learned a lot more about myself from my trips on mushrooms, cactus and LSD.

If it's the alcohol addiction that is making you feel depressed and suicidal, have you thought about going down the ibogaine route? Apparently you only need one dose as it resets & refreshes your neurotransmitters to the point where you won't be craving for a drink again. It really has had some miraculous results.

If it's the alcohol addiction that is making you feel depressed and suicidal, have you thought about going down the ibogaine route? Apparently you only need one dose as it resets & refreshes your neurotransmitters to the point where you won't be craving for a drink again. It really has had some miraculous results.

I dont know much about ibogaine, but if you take this guys advice research the absolute fuck out of it.
While yes iboga can be used to get off heroin or other heavy addictions.

It seems to reak havoc on your body afterwards depending on how addicted you were.
I read about a heroin addict who used iboga to stop. He succesfully stopped but went into severe widthrawals for over a year and a half. Infact i could be wrong but im fairly sure the widthdrawals killed him.

I mean yea he got off the H, but widthdrawals for over a year? Im pretty sure you dont get savaged that hard when stopping cold turkey.

Idk as i said im no expert on iboga its just what ive read thus far, besides though,
You will probably have EXTREME struggles obtaining any if its true that you need to travel to one place in africa where it grows or whatever.
Again i could be wrong but i can tell you sure as shit theres no ibogaine going around the streets where i live :)

Both ayahuasca and iboga on occasion kill people, but are you saying that he died over one and a half years later? Seems very unlikely it was because of the iboga, and opioid withdrawal while it can be pretty terrible, is not lethal like say benzo withdrawals can be. Also yeah from benzos I too have had protracted withdrawal syndrome that messed me up for about a year to one and a half - but the withdrawal syndrome is strongest at first, it doesn't grow stronger esp not over such a long time.

If it lasted so long that it made him suicidal or do other things that lead to his death then yeah that's another thing and surely plausible.

I'm considering iboga a little, though my addiction(s) are not at a peak - still I could use a major reset. Perhaps something like ayahuasca would be better for my issues though, but I'm wary of both.

DMT smoked and also IMed, and 5-MeO-DMT also IMed can usually be insanely intense, and mindblowing experiences so I don't want to sell them short. But no a rapid flash is often so fast and chaotic that deep impressions can be made but it is hard to get coherent and elaborated lessons out of it like slower paced drugs or slower routes of administration. Similarly I have no interest in ever smoking Salvia D again but I may consider quidding for a much different value.

Psychedelics can do a lot of things, they can be fun / interesting / insightful, therapeutic, crazy fear-and-loathing style ... so it is important to not only choose the right psychedelic suited for your intentions but also the route of administration. Because the latter can determine kinetics and kinetics can change the entire tone of the trip, and therapeutic value.

Anyway as I already said, I think it is most important of all to be careful in a fragile state of mind. You can't really afford to trip without guidance and a very serious consideration of whether your mindset will be able to bear it. You often don't go in the intended direction, so it is a bit of a gamble and you cannot really afford to have a desperate trip when you are already labile. Can potentially be traumatize or escalate.

I dont know much about ibogaine, but if you take this guys advice research the absolute fuck out of it.
While yes iboga can be used to get off heroin or other heavy addictions.

It seems to reak havoc on your body afterwards depending on how addicted you were.
I read about a heroin addict who used iboga to stop. He succesfully stopped but went into severe widthrawals for over a year and a half. Infact i could be wrong but im fairly sure the widthdrawals killed him.

I mean yea he got off the H, but widthdrawals for over a year? Im pretty sure you dont get savaged that hard when stopping cold turkey.

Idk as i said im no expert on iboga its just what ive read thus far, besides though,
You will probably have EXTREME struggles obtaining any if its true that you need to travel to one place in africa where it grows or whatever.
Again i could be wrong but i can tell you sure as shit theres no ibogaine going around the streets where i live :)

I did ibogaine to get off of a 10 year opiate addiction and it worked immediately, I no longer experienced withdrawals or cravings of any kind. However ibogaine is not to be taken lightly, it was a monumental experience that really changed my life, but it can be dangerous and for me it lasted 3 days where I didn't really know what was going on. Also it seems to have particular affinity to opiate addictions because it acts on some opiate receptors. I am not sure it would stop alcohol withdrawals, and alcohol withdrawals are actually life-threatening, unlike opiate withdrawals. Drinking a liter a day you are sure to experience withdrawals so I would get past those first before trying ibogaine. ibogaine is like a brain and behavior resetting thing, it will work the best if you're in a place where you're really prepared to stop.

Where did you read this? I have to question this story. Heroin withdrawals don't last more than a couple of weeks. I don't see any way that Iboga could make the withdrawals last longer and if it did that, then how would it be a useful addiction treatment? Furthermore, you cant die from opiate withdrawals a year and a half later. Death from opiate withdrawal is very rare but if it does occur, it will occur within the first week when the withdrawal is strongest.