• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone/Buprenorphine FAQ & Megathread v3; 2010 - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you are snorting instead of letting it dissolve under your tongue, you will probably need to dose twice a day. I would say start off snorting 1mg 2x/day =2mg/day for 4 days (so 1 pill) and for the next pill, take 1mg/day either as .5mg2x/day or 1mg1x/day (whatever makes you comfortable) and when down to 1mg left take .5mg1x/day for 2days.. making your taper 13 days so almost 2 weeks. So it's a medium length taper, you should experience minimum w/d's opposed to stopping opiates cold turkey or just using 2mg suboxone for 8 days since jumping off at .5mg is easier than jumping off at 2mg. Good luck.

Another option is just using 1 pill and saving the second for emergencies..
Take 2mg 2days, 1mg 3days, and .5mg 2days.. it is shorter but will still be better than cold turkey.. And would leave you with a whole pill for when craving bad, or if this taper is too short you will be able to do it twice. Again, good luck!

Last edited:
Awesome, I will try that plan, it sounds so much better than what I had previously thought. I had heard that it was efficient, but wow. My friends said they had gotten away with 4mg to start and I was impressed with that even. I guess I'm only cutting that in half really, with a higher bioavailability though...thanks very much for the help!

Hello Sub Dude. When you have your planned slip do you find yourself craving more the next day? Are you able to just enjoy the high and move on, like non addicts? i'm always really curious about people who can do this, i think just because whenever i have the slightest bit of anything in my system i find myself thinking o.k, now how do i get more.... Why are you on Subs, was it getting to costly with the OCs? i think in a previous post you mentioned a family. If any of this is too personal, you may feel free to tell me to piss off. i like to hear other peoples stories, why they started, why they quit, and all the things in between. Brain function is fascinating to me as well, how some people can jump off and on and be fine while for others, one slip and its over. Anyone else who feels like answering this, please do. i think i can receive personal messages if you don't want yourself spattered all over the thread. Ok, take care everyone.

First off... I'm on subs because I refuse to pay $400+ monthly for methadone and start from scratch again with daily visits. I was on MMT for many yrs but screwed up the free clinic gig and lost monthly takehomes. I'd go back to meth today but for the cost and daily visits and crap they put new clients thru. I had no desire to use opiates while on methadone. I get free subs thru the VA Healthcare

I guess you could say I "enjoy the high and move on".... back to subs. I do have a large family [6 kids] which keeps me motivated from doing anything too stupid. When I was younger and single... I couldn't do this because I wanted to get high everyday. And didn't understand the consequences it leads too.

I took myself out of the "street dope game" long ago when I went on meth maint. I switched to bupe @ 2yrs ago. I have only one drug friend [I continue to see] and he gets a script for oxys each month. I only buy 200-250mg purposely because I know if I buy more... I'll do them and it won't be good. I normally use them over 2 days and then back to subs. No real cravings until the next month. I guess i have my brain conditioned for this?? The 1st day back to subs is a little slow but nothing bad.

To sum it up... I think it's an indivdual thing on stopping and restarting. Some can and others have difficulity with it.

Yeah, blood tests only indicated a problem. I had to undergo an ERCP (scope down the pipes) and colonoscopy (ugh) before a diagnosis was made.

I have a PPO plan through my employer, otherwise I'd be all kinds of fucked, mostly because of the meds I need to slow the scarring of my liver and all the tests/office visits would bankrupt me. Fucking bullshit health "care" system.

For many years, I thought (and was told) I was a hypochondriac. I used to have fears that my liver was messed up because I drank Robitussin as a teen. I went to a few doctors when I was 18/19 to check it out, but they never found anything wrong. Three years later, after I finally got over my liver fears, I find out they were real.

Sorry to hear that. It must be horrible to have a liver problem hanging in the background... especially being so young.

Thanks for the info... I see my dr twice a yr for checkups and the last time she said my liver enzymes were a bit high but didn't seem concerned. I guess I'll find out in March if further tests are needed??

I can't believe all the misinformation given about subs when I read about them...you would think information given to us by our government would be accurate.

No offense... but are you serious? The govt lies to us quite frequently and it's supposively in our best interest. Think about it for a minute... if they have no problem lying to the general public... why would they care if they lied to a relatively few drug addicts? It's all about control. Their trying to round us up and take care of use like little lambs. ;)

Anyway... I think it's more like the biased/flawed research by Big Pharma and govt reguators looking the other way.

Well I am officially leveled at 667µg of buprenorphine a day. Been taking it for two weeks now.

Next stop, 500µg. Next, next stop, 333µg. Onward into the night.

My reasoning is that if I'm going to be on maintenance Suboxone, taking the smallest dose possible is good for two reasons. First, when I do finally decide to get off of it, my tolerance and need for the drug will be smaller, making withdrawal easier. Second, any other full-agonists I push through the Sub will feel just slightly better, because both my tolerance and the blocking-effect of the drug will be less.

Valid ?

^Yes. You won't be pushing through anything at that dose as that is not nearly enough to cover enough receptors to block any opiate from attaching to the remaining open receptors. You have to be on a fairly high dose to saturate your receptors to the point of blocking other opiates...

For me its either Subs or heroin. If I do not take Subutex, then I'll take heroin. And Vice Versa. There is no middle road for me like some people here. Who use opiates with Subutex. And stay on a low dose to keep using.

That sounds an expensive hobby. Using Subs and Heroin.

Why not just kick one or the other and make up your mind, eh? Perhaps this is why some people are bi-sexual. They just cannot decide.

Recently, I've made the conscious decision to take myself off of Suboxone, as I had been taking it since late September/early October of 2010. I honestly would burn through the 8mg tabs at first usually within 4 -5 days, but since early December I have been working on slowing and lowering my dosage - basically, getting to the point where I was snorting crumbs. I prefer to snort Sub - IDK, I just enjoy it.

For the past 4 -5 days I had been taking maybe .5mgs (maybe less than that?) of crumbs that I had leftover from my last 8mg tab. The last .5mg (if that even) of sub I snorted was at 6a.m. Sunday (01/09/11). Well, now that today is here I feel fine, but what should I expect in the next days to come?

I don't feel achey, sweaty, have the runs, or any usual withdrawl symptons I have had before. I also have 3 2mg bars that I have just to be prepared for the anxiety, etc. Could anyone enlighten me on if I am in the clear from withdrawls? Or will I be going through some mild Hell in the next days or even next weeks?

Recently, I've made the conscious decision to take myself off of Suboxone, as I had been taking it since late September/early October of 2010. I honestly would burn through the 8mg tabs at first usually within 4 -5 days, but since early December I have been working on slowing and lowering my dosage - basically, getting to the point where I was snorting crumbs. I prefer to snort Sub - IDK, I just enjoy it.

For the past 4 -5 days I had been taking maybe .5mgs (maybe less than that?) of crumbs that I had leftover from my last 8mg tab. The last .5mg (if that even) of sub I snorted was at 6a.m. Sunday (01/09/11). Well, now that today is here I feel fine, but what should I expect in the next days to come?

I don't feel achey, sweaty, have the runs, or any usual withdrawl symptons I have had before. I also have 3 2mg bars that I have just to be prepared for the anxiety, etc. Could anyone enlighten me on if I am in the clear from withdrawls? Or will I be going through some mild Hell in the next days or even next weeks?

Sorry to bum you out, but I am almost certain you are not out of the woods.

People don't realize how large a dose .5mg is. I know it seems tiny, especially when you hear about people taking 32mg a day, but .5mg is often enough to hold someone over, and because bupe has such a long duration, I am not surprised that you are not sick even though your last dose was yesterday morning.

If you don't take anymore bupe, I would suspect that you would start feeling some WD tomorrow, starting to get worse throughout the day and even worse the following day.

But hey, maybe you are one of the lucky ones. Stick it out-if you don't feel any WD within the next 48 hrs, I would say you are in the clear. Keep us updated.

Matt.Strummer,
Definitely let us know how you're doing (hope it's relatively good). I'm always interested in hearing about people's Suboxone tapering and the after effects. I've stabilized at about .25 sublingual three times a day, and I want to go lower soon. But I'm finding that I feel "needy" in the morning before my first dose. My sub doctor gave me baclofen to deal with that, but I don't feel anything at all when I take it.

Oh yeah, I know I'm not outta the woods. I won't be sure of that until probably a few days later on in the week. After all, W/Ds are the trickest fucking things to deal with.

Thanks for the support, guys! Luckily, I won't have to go into work tomorrow due to snow, so I will let you all know if my symptoms worsen over night. I can feel myself yawning a lot, but I know it's not from lack of bupe - lack of caffiene (slam an energy drink, usually two and a few cups of coffee daily), so that's about it really.

I will update you all in the morning after I've been up for a few hours.

Ok, so about an hour and a half ago I took my first dose of suboxone. I snorted 1mg (about, I dunno how you guys divide these well).

What is the level of comfort I should try for?

I still am craving dope, my neck and head hurt (although less than earlier), I have the sweats and shakes a little less less, feel a little nauseous. I was exclaiming I felt better about a half hour ago, though it could have been placebo. I could take a little dose of clonazepam, or snort another .5mg. Any suggestions?

edit: i'm going with another .5mg. I'm not comfortable, and that is still a damn low dosage.

Last edited:
If you were taking lots of dope then you might need 2-4 mg for your first 2 days, then taper slowly, but again if your ok with the 1.5 mg you did then good for you. Good luck man

I agree with the 2-4mg. I started out on 8mg and I was on 3-6 points of powder a day. That is a pretty low dose for an addict as well (the 3-6 points of powder). My friends are all on 100m of Meth, and using on top. I just couldn't go down the meth route seeing how fucked up all my friends got on it.

OK, so my bupe therapy has gone OK. For those who don't know, I got off a 30-60mg/ day oxymorphone regime (Pain Management with a Dr. I was super unhappy with) by going to a psychiatrist and getting on bupe and tramadol as a combo for discontinuation from heavy opiates, some analgesic relief (it hasn't been working as well, obviously) and some relief from depression I have had all my life.

I saw a new and very renowned Orthopedist who pretty much confirmed that I am totally fucked and need PM for a long period of time. He referred me to 3 different PM clinics, 1 only does injections @ site of injury. One does injections, and If those don't work does short-term medication management. THE ONLY PM CLINIC IN MY METRO AREA is, you guessed it, the same one I was going to previously, same Doctor and all.

SO... how should I go about talking to this Doctor, who doesn't like me and knows I don't like her? I am usually just brutally honest with doctors, but that didn't work too well with this woman. In a nutshell, I quit PM, switched orthopedists, and in the meantime started on suboxone with my psychiatrist. I didn't break any contracts as I had discontinued PM and I certainly wasn't doctor shopping. I am a Colorado MMJ patient (which isn't allowed during PM) and have been smoking since discontinuing as my psychiatrist has no problem with it, so when I go in in 3 days I will most certainly piss dirty, and probably won't even bother taking a test as I just let them know up front that I have been smoking marijuana. How will my 1.25-1.5mg/day bupe regime translate back into full-agonist opiates? I simply am not getting the relief that I need right now and need to go back to PM to live my life normally. Should I tell this woman I wasn't happy with her previous services and sought other options straight up? How can I soften the blow to her (inflated) ego? And what the fuck do I do about the red flag on my file from smoking marijuana even though I am doing it legally?

I know there is a PM megathread, but I figure more people in here have more experience switching off bupe to full agonists. Thanks in advance.

I agree with the 2-4mg. I started out on 8mg and I was on 3-6 points of powder a day. That is a pretty low dose for an addict as well (the 3-6 points of powder). My friends are all on 100m of Meth, and using on top. I just couldn't go down the meth route seeing how fucked up all my friends got on it.

1st time to quit after 7 years (2gm/day for last 3) i went away and took 8 mg the 1st day, 6, 4, 2,1, 0.5, 0.25, 0.25,0.25 and 0.25 of course as soon as i was back from the trip 3 weeks later, i did H all over again as i wasn't really ready to quit at the time. The next few times, even with the 2gm/day habit, i never needed to take more than 6mg.

I give my opiates-naive gf some tiny lines of Subs maybe twice a month to enjoy its recreational usage, we started with a 2 mg that totally fucked her up (throwing up with a pale face) really not enjoyable for her at all. The next time down to 1 mg, she was ok and lightheaded but still threw up. Finally, last time i think it was an 0.7 mg, which are pretty much 2 tiny ass lines, probably the tiniest lines my addict-hand had to make and she still threw up!!! I keep telling her "lucky you" for such a cute baby tolerance. Seriously, Buprenorphine is one hell of a potent substance.

I sometimes remember those early days where Tramadol was the only drug i could get if i wanted to quit H by myself , and sadly it ended up every time with a relapse in a matter of days :p We are very lucky to live in a world where there is such substance as Bupes, Hats off and goodnight =D

Last edited:
hey guys.....i have been MIA for awhile....

work (full time)

and i got a PS3 a week ago or so......

anyways, still at 1mg........

other than a 5 day dope binder last week, i am doing great.....and i hope you are all good as well.....

For me its either Subs or heroin. If I do not take Subutex, then I'll take heroin. And Vice Versa. There is no middle road for me like some people here. Who use opiates with Subutex. And stay on a low dose to keep using.

That sounds an expensive hobby. Using Subs and Heroin.
Why not just kick one or the other and make up your mind, eh? Perhaps this is why some people are bi-sexual. They just cannot decide.[/QUOTE

AHHH! The best of both worlds is tempting, but for me it does not exist. So i live vicariously through the posts of the people for whom it does. :)

Matt.Strummer,
Definitely let us know how you're doing (hope it's relatively good). I'm always interested in hearing about people's Suboxone tapering and the after effects. I've stabilized at about .25 sublingual three times a day, and I want to go lower soon. But I'm finding that I feel "needy" in the morning before my first dose. My sub doctor gave me baclofen to deal with that, but I don't feel anything at all when I take it.

What is this baclofen of which you speak? Even though it does nothing for you, i'd still like to hear what it's intended effects are. My conversations with my doctor go like this: How are you feeling? Fine, O.K. i guess.... Well, nice talking to you, are there any other prescriptions you need? Where was this guy 10 years ago, goddamn it!

So I don't know where else to ask and get a response decently soon. Here is my timetable of the night:

0:00 - Snorted 1mg Suboxone
1:50 - Snorted .5mg Suboxone
5:00 - Snorted .5mg Suboxone

So altogether I had 2mg of suboxone tonight. It has been 11 hours since I snorted the first dose, and I still have withdrawal symptoms. I have the headache, slight sweats, CRAVINGS, rls, and bad insomnia. I can't sleep at all, which is pretty brutal. I can feel that it is taking away the symptoms, but I don't know if I should redose, or the constant redosing is just my addictive personality.

I mean, it isn't like it could be wearing off this quickly. So is it that I didn't take enough? Did I space it out so much that it isn't working as effectively? Am I on a good dose and just snorting more because I'm having cravings and trying to satisfy(which I never will)?

Thanks for the help guys. Maybe I just should expect the kicking feeling still, but damn I was hoping that grabbing these was allowing me to sleep, wear dry clothes, and not have my neck feel like it got hit with a hammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.