• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone/Buprenorphine FAQ and Megathread v.1; 2007 - 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks again Iforgett, just curious, how much you on? No problem. Currently, Im at 4 or 6mg, depending on how much I have available. I was at 2mg a few weeks ago, but experimentation with IV bupe/diphenhydramine has raised my tolerance significantly.
how long you been on it? Since june 7th 2007.
how much you start on? 12mg. I detoxed myself rather fast from 12mg to 2mg in less than 2 weeks.
what opiates were you addicted to? Heroin.
how long? roughly 3 and a half years.
do you still use? Very, very, rarely.
do you like/dislike nopiates/ favourates, and general out look etc? Not sure what I mean by that. If you mean do you like being on suboxone, some days yes, some days no. Overall, I think it might have saved my life, literally and figuratively but I have trouble with the idea Im still dependant upon opiates. I hope to be completely clean before the year is out, but what it has done for me I couldnt have done without it. It gave me the opportunity to put the pieces of my life back together. I was at rock bottom, and now Im close to being back where I was before I started using.

Here are some potentiators i've had success with (i've used these w/ all sorts of bupe doses, i started out on 16 mg/daily and am now only on 4 mg/daily):

DXM
Supposedly NMDA antagonists have a role in keeping neurological tolerance buildup in m- opioidergic receptors low. I've tried 90 - 120 mg twice daily, about 40 minutes after my dose. This seemed to work alright in the beginning, seemingly increasing the narcotic effect of buprenorphine slightly. After a while however, it seemed as if my 2 daily doses seemed dulled by DXM. It definitely drew out the experience of buprenorphine, but seemed to diminish the peak effects of it. So it was a trade off, i felt better in the morning before my first dose, but i didn't feel as much effects from it. I don't know if DXM itself is an inhibitor of similar CYP enyzmes; but it sure acted as such.

I tried it at smaller doses, before i took my buprenorphine, in the mornings--usually around 70 - 130 mg / once daily. This seemed to work more effectively- it didn't diminish the effects of the bupe while it did seem my tolerance was kept somewhat under control. I was also able to tolerate weaning a lot more.

I must stress however- i didn't feel any significant immediate effects w/ DXM, like potentiation of actual effects. The most it ever gave me was an increase in duration of effects and a better ability to be satisfied with my dose. But bupe has this inherit quality anyways, so its hard to determine if this was a direct result of the DXM.

Carisoprodol
This one actually has given me the most poteniation effects compared to any other chemical. I'm not aware of the pharmacokinetics of carisoprodol, so i don't know if its action was a result of inducing or inhibition- or rather just a complimentary, neurological effect. But it didn't matter when i took the drug, it always seemed to potentiate buprenorphine.

I had the best results when i'd take bupe after taking 700 - 1150 mg of carisprodol. Then, waiting till the peak effects of the bupe wore off, and redosed w/ the carisoprodol. I didn't like to take carisoprodol when bupe was at its peak concentrations b/c it would mask what little narcotic effect i did get.

This regime would also significantly increase the duration of effects. After an evening of carisoprodol + bupe; i was able to put off taking my bupe for a good 6 hrs with no adverse effects.

Tramadol
Tramadol is a partial agonist and allegedly works in combination with buprenorphine. I've tried the combination and found it mediocre. Tramadol isn't as much as a potentiantor as it is a drug you can successfully use in combination with buprenorphine. Its psychoactive effect isn't just opioidergic; therefore in higher doses (<400 mg in one dose) i've found it not very recreational.

But in smaller, spread out doses it definitely seemed to increase the narcotic effect of bupe. And on a few occasions i used tramadol when i had to take half my typical bupe dose (due to prior over indulgence); it definitely warded off some of the minor withdrawal symptoms i would have inevitably felt. It didn't do as good of a job in making me feel mentally satisfied but it none the less made me physically comfortable.

Cimetidine/Grapefruit juice/CYP inhibitors
Inhibitors of buprenorphine's metabolization will only draw out the effects of bupe. It wont increase the intensity of effects. As i pointed out earlier, norbupe--an active metabolite--has a pharmacological role in the psychoactive effects of bupe. An inhibitor will reduce the amount of bupe converted into norbupe. And norbupe supposedly is a more potent m- opioid agonist; unfortunately for us, unconverted buprenorphine will antagonize its effects. So i think the relative CYP inducer would do more in regards to potentiating bupe's effects.

And personally, i've never experienced much success w/ inhibitors anyways.

I got a question. I don't have insurence. If they don't give me my scripts at the hospital that the suboxone clinic is at and add it to my couple $1000 bill already aproximatly how much will suboxone cost with no insurance? rough estimate?
appreciated

^ the prescription itself isnt too expensive. For a two weeks supply of 8mg pills (1 pill per day) it was 85 USD.

I'd like to add bupe overdoses are extremely uncommon.

It's virtually impossible to overdose taking bupe alone. Bupe does not affect breathing as much as full opioid agonists.

I've been taking Suboxone over 7 months now and don't understand what's up with all the talk about bupe potentiaters as I've never got recreational effects from it.
I've never heard of anyone getting them besides opiate virgins.

^ its not impossible. As ive said probably too many times already, I use diphenhydramine/bupe in combination via IV and get recreational effects, albeit very minimal, but it is better than nothing.

thanks Iforget

you dropped your dosage prity quick there!

have you rested on 4mg - 6mg for sometime now?

strange- im in a smular situation as you, im currently on 4mg - 6mg (6mg now as I messed up and used herion this week - something i do very rarely - like your good self)
Ive been addicted 5 years - well seriously about 3-4yr (things got messy)
I dropped down from 16mg, but they put me on a dose that was quite high for me, i could have been comfortable starting on 12mg.
I started on Suboxone in June the 5th! - beleve it my friend! what a counsidence! weried! (with you starting on 7th june)
I hope to be off it by the end of this year - no I will be off it by the end of this year.
I also have a high opion of suboxone - its helped me save myself - put my life aback together.

However its a unlucky situation your in paying that much! I live in England and I tick a box (doesnt matter which one they don't check *) and get mine for free. I tell my couseler that give me my perscriptions that im still on 16mgs, so I get loads extra (incase a something happens - i dont know a plane crashes in to the pharmacy - and I carnt get my suboxone - i'LL HAVE LOADS SPARE!) I Currently have about 60 8mg tablets of suboxone and 20 2mg tablets or something like that. I also have about four BIG (the biggest pharmacutcal bottles - i think) of Methadone. Sorry if I sound like im showing off, im not, they just give me a great feeling of sercurity, If you were in England and around my way I would give you some of my Suboxone table's my friend, as it sounds hard paying that much.

Good luck with it all,

might be nice if you post a message to me and let me know if you got clean, if you can be bothered, and want to (im not a storker or nut job mate), just we started almost on the same day, and to see some guy in cyberspace that i dont know gets clean, might give me alittle hope, visa versa,.

* in England most people just tick a box on the back of the Script' e.g the one that says you get benifits, and you dont have to pay. They never check. My friend who is a pharmacist says its an independant coumpany - and I dont think gets payed, or they get payed very little - that check, so they obviously do a very bad job as I and many people have been doing it for years and never have been caught - getting loads of free drugs. If they do catch you (which they wont) you get a one off fine, of just £40 - £60 pound, no courts, they wont keep an eye on you loads from then on - nothing.

again good luck.

No, actually ive been on 4/6mg for only a few weeks. I fucked up, because I was on 2mg and then I started IVing the bupe, so my tolerance has gone up.

That is strange, only 2 days apart you and I. And yeah, the price is terrible, but its better than any other "price" id be paying without it, know what I mean?

I must say, I am totally envious of that methadone you have. Id actually prefer to be on methadone at this point in time simply because it could provide a little more of a high for me, but really I shouldnt be saying that. Im sort of hypocritical when it comes to this whole issue. I think if you are getting clean, you should get clean for real, but then again I still try to get high every now and then. I guess you can say I definitley do not practice what I preach. Do as I say, not as I do. That sorta thing.

Anyways, keep in touch. Its cool being in something like this with someone else. PM me anytime.

Gum Base said:
how much will suboxone cost with no insurance? rough estimate?

I too don't have insurance and as a result i subsequently get raped in my virgin asshole by Reckitt Benckiser on a monthly basis. (FYI- Reckitt Benckiser is the manufacturer of suboxone).

Now that i've weaned down to 4 mg daily, I pay close to $200 for 60, 2 mg pills at my local grocery store pharmacy (Krogers, ohio based supermarket chain). If at all possible, i suggest getting on the 8 mgers (even if you're on <8 mg a day therapy, just break them in halfs or quarters) since they are A LOT more economical. Depending on varying pharm's prices... they average anywhere from $ 4 - 7 a pill. Thats still fuckin absurd though. When i first started on SMT my full bill for 120, 8 mg pills a month was around $600!! Thank god i was on a discount program at the time and had to pay somewhere around $400, but thats still a lot of fuckin cash for an Rx.

What i now pay on a monthly basis is still disgusting though really... I could literally pay less for my monthly supply if i bought it on the street (i can get 8's for $5 a piece, $4 in bulk). But i refrain from doing this since i'm trying to go the straight and narrow now; clean and sober for 10 mo and 6 days! (i'm still on Rx bupe- and carisoprodol & tramadol for my back injury. I don't take the tramadol anymore though, just stock pile em incase i need em down the line. They're basically shit though).

Unfortunately the cost is what keeps a lot of addicts away from bupe therapy. That's why a lot people still prefer methadone (methadone literally costs about 5% of what bupe does to manufacture). So its more affordable to the down and out, homeless-addict type. Which is sad really, b/c bupe is so much more effective at allowing someone to eventually acheive full sobriety.

Last edited:
Does anyone know any good prescription drug insurances that cover suboxone decent? If so please Post or PM it to me. I appreciate it!

^
Yeah, Suboxone could cost a lot without insurance. But, it is almost always cheaper than continuing to live the lifestyle one lived before switching to Suboxone.

Last edited:
Alright I got my bupe appt. Monday at noon. The last time I used was Friday at like 7:30. I will probably start withdrawing saturday afternoon sometime. Will this be suficient to pass a piss test you think? I am going to drink alot of water and take a B complem vitamin to make it yellow but Im just curious if without the water do you think i'd pass? What about a blood test will I pass?
I appreciate it!
Thanks

Thats cutting it very close. Thats only 24 hours. Have you used everyday up till friday? If so, then I highly doubt you will pass. If you havent, then there is a chance. You should give it another 24 hours (48 hours total). Even then, it will still be cutting it close.

Drink lots of water and cranberry juice. Gotta cleanse the system.

If I start withdrawing at 6pm saturday and I have the appt. Monday at noon that is 42 hours of withdrawing. Is that alright? I am going to drink alot of water no doubt.

Oh shit, i didnt realize your appointment was monday. Yeah, youll be perfect. I thought you were going to the doctor as soon as you started withdrawaling. Im stupid, forgive me. Its late, im tired.

It doesnt matter when you start withdrawaling. If your last dose was friday, and your appointment is monday, thats 72 hours of no usage. Thats good.

For a blood test how long will it be in there? I use to be on papers with piss tests and I passed each time and was using the whole time so I'm not worried about the piss test but im worried about the blood test.

A blood test, as far as I remember, has less detection time than urine. IIRC, in order from most detection time to least, it goes hair, urine, then blood.

^
Yeah, you're right. Blood test detection times are quite shorter than urine/saliva/hair detection times.

I'm surprised that you have to give a blood test to use Suboxone. You don't even have to do that to get on state sponsored methadone here.

Sounds like the doctor is just trying to run up the bill...

Why would a doctor want to drug test you before he puts you on Suboxone? Isn't it a given that you've been using drugs anyway, hence needing to be put on the bupe? Must suck to have such a nitpicky doctor...

I just made an appointment with my doctor, walked in and walked out within 15 minutes with my new prescription.

Status
Not open for further replies.