• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Study: Flavored small cigars are popular with kids

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Small cigars flavored to taste like candy or fruit are popular among teens, according to the first government study to gauge their use.

About 1 in 30 middle and high school kids said they smoke the compact, sweet-flavored cigars. The percentages rise as kids get older, to nearly 1 in 12 high school seniors, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported.

The results - based on a 2011 survey of nearly 19,000 students, grades 6 through 12 - were published online Tuesday by the Journal of Adolescent Health.

Since 2009, the government has banned cigarettes with candy, fruit and clove flavoring, though it continued to allow menthol flavoring. There is no restriction on sales of cigars with such flavorings except in Maine, New York City and Providence, R.I.

The sale of cigarettes and cigars to those under 18 is illegal, but according to an earlier CDC report, about 16 percent of high school students were smokers in 2011.

Health officials say sweet flavoring can mask the harsh taste of tobacco and make smoking more palatable.

"The so-called small cigars look like cigarettes, addict as much as cigarettes and they kill like cigarettes," said CDC Director Dr. Tom Frieden.

Tobacco companies have said they oppose smoking by those under age 18. But the marketing of flavored cigars suggests companies are trying to interest kids in smoking, Frieden and others said.

cont at
http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=267058

Omg are they retarded? They're popular because kids like blunts. This is a weed thig not a tobacco thing so I hope you're being sarcastic Shimmer.

My main concern is that kids are using cigarillos these days. When did the classic strawberry philly become unpopular? They probably don't even ask for a fresh one =\\

I'm so out of it =O

Omg are they retarded? They're popular because kids like blunts. This is a weed thig not a tobacco thing so I hope you're being sarcastic Shimmer.

I don't get what you are saying.
Shimmer's comment - that big tobacco is at it again - makes sense.
They are trying to get kids addicted to tobacco before they gain the sense/wisdom to know better.
If they kids are smoking the tobacco mixed with weed, they can still get addicted.
So, the companies get what they want.

cigars must be taxed different cause a pack of cigars that look allot like cigarettes in the us is about two dollars and a pack of cigs is about eight. they are popular because of their price.. period!!!

cigars that are 2 bucks
NSFW:
smokingcheyenne.JPG

^^^ they make it look all classy when really the ashtray should be an old natty ice can surrounded by balled up fast food wrappers and empty bottom shelf tall boy beer cans.

lmao.. MBC what more classy than a gold filter and a two tone package named cheyenne with a soaring eagle on it.. lol..

These products are popular with teenagers for two reasons. They are very cheap compared to rolling tobacco or cigarettes and they can easily be cut open and have the tobacco removed and used to smoke marijuana. If you want kids not to smoke raise the price. Dont deprive adults of a good ol' Chocolate blunt or a black n' mild.

I don't get what you are saying.
Shimmer's comment - that big tobacco is at it again - makes sense.
They are trying to get kids addicted to tobacco before they gain the sense/wisdom to know better.

I was being semi-serious. Big-tobacco will always be at it until someone really puts the foot down and says no more unnecessary additives. The fact that these loops holes exist do show that the lobbyists of big tobacco are alive and well. I will always have an issue with people trying to prey upon the naive.
I am actually totally serious now that I see that picture above of cigarettes being called cigars, sold cheap as shit, and flavored. I thought the article was just talking about swisher-sweet type cigarillos that were being flavored (which can't actually be inhaled without getting sick).

If they kids are smoking the tobacco mixed with weed, they can still get addicted.

Normally this is a more European thing. In the US when people use a cigar/cigarillo they usually just slit em open and dump the tobacco. However, from that picture these are clearly not meant to be emptied and re-rolled. Big tobacco is so shameless.

Last edited:
This article is not about cigarillos or blunts...

It is about filtered mini cigars...

These things are pure garbage and should be eradicated in certain areas just like cheap high-proof alcohol.

They are targeted heavily towards the poor... And are used when higher quality cigarettes cannot be afforded.

They are indeed far more unhealthier than regular cigarettes due to them using PIPE tobacco as opposed to CIGARETTE tobacco... Yes, there is a huge difference. This difference is curing...

Hell, the filters on these damn thing are that long for a reason, and almost clog by the time you get closer to the end...

No company should make in-betweens when it comes to cigars and cigarettes... The tobaccos are interchangeable, although taste is quite distinct. There is clearly something wrong with Big Tobacco...

These products are popular with teenagers for two reasons. They are very cheap compared to rolling tobacco or cigarettes and they can easily be cut open and have the tobacco removed and used to smoke marijuana. If you want kids not to smoke raise the price. Dont deprive adults of a good ol' Chocolate blunt or a black n' mild.

Raising the price would affect adult users though. Raising the price might deprive adults of these things.

It would make a pretty shitty blunt. The paper looks way too thin to be able to get a good roll out of. Not to mention it would survive like one rotation.

and they would make like a pinner blunt, actually if that... they are the same size as a cigarette.

That is what I meant by surviving. After like 2 or 3 people the damn thing would be nearly gone.

Looks like worthless trash all around.

Not convinced. It looks like more nanny-state propaganda. If these were really marketed to kids "to get them hooked" as claimed, we should expect to see cigarette smoking rates going up among kids. The article provides no evidence of such a claim. In fact, over the past three years, youth smoking rates have begun to decline faster, whereas previously they were stable. See:

http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/press_releases/post/2012_12_19_survey

Also, kids do not overwhelmingly prefer these cigars. If you pay a little attention:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rs-flavored-cigarettes-little-cigars/3151593/

Two of five kids smoke flavored "cigars or cigarettes" (read on). That means three of five kids (who smoke) do not smoke these products. And according to this math book, three of five is a majority.

So these flavored cigars haven't provoked a rise in smoking rates among youth and in fact they have not even slowed down the decline in smoking rates. Furthermore a majority of adolescent smokers do not smoke them at all. And furthermore, the study is confounded, because mentholated cigarettes (popular among groups progressives like to discriminate against, like blacks and the rural poor) were included together with the flavored cigars.

In conclusion, this anti-flavor propaganda is bullshit, spread by people who just want to ban something fun for no good reason.

Last edited:
So stupid kids can't even buy them. We better ban these for adults because they could illegally sell them to kids. Better ban good tasting liquor too... Because adults don't like things that taste good duhhh

This article is not about cigarillos or blunts...

It is about filtered mini cigars...

These things are pure garbage and should be eradicated in certain areas just like cheap high-proof alcohol.

They are targeted heavily towards the poor... And are used when higher quality cigarettes cannot be afforded.

They are indeed far more unhealthier than regular cigarettes due to them using PIPE tobacco as opposed to CIGARETTE tobacco... Yes, there is a huge difference. This difference is curing...

Hell, the filters on these damn thing are that long for a reason, and almost clog by the time you get closer to the end...

No company should make in-betweens when it comes to cigars and cigarettes... The tobaccos are interchangeable, although taste is quite distinct. There is clearly something wrong with Big Tobacco...

I think I am falling in love ....