View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Storing LSD without a fridge...

Dr.Gonzo666

Bluelighter
I was able to recently buy a fairly large quantity of acid. I'll take me several months to consume all this. Needless to say, I'm very concerned about the possibility of my hits losing their potency during that period...
I read hundreds of threads on the subject on this forum and others, I know LSD must be kept away from light, heat and moisture, all this...

But I have a big problem: I live with my mother and storing my acid in the family fridge/freezer is obviously out of the question.

The best thing I can do is: wrap sheets in tinfoil + plastic bag + airtight/vacuum-sealed container (with dessicant) + dark drawer/cabinet in my room.

It seems LSD degrades even at room temperature. The question is, how fast? How long can I store my hits using this method before they are ruined? Are you hopelessly screwed if you don't have access to a fridge?

I've stashed LSD in my closet in tin foil for weeks without it degrading.

Read the storage and degradation section of this document: http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_article2.shtml

An airtight brown glass vial kept that LSD crystal potent for 55 years!

Interesting!

Though this case seems very unusual: it was crystal LSD for one thing. But yeah, in this particular case, airtight container appears to have been very effective for long-term conservation at room temp.
I'm not sure we can generalize from that one example, though...

The thing is, in the past I had blotters that appeared to have degraded after +1 month or so when stored at room temp, but the container wasn't vacuum-sealed, no dessicant. Also other factors might explain why the trips felt weaker: tolerance, uninspiring setting...

So if anyone can personally confirm to me that hits can survive several months at room temp, that'd help me assess the situation better...

I can confirm. back in my teenage years I had to store my acid at room temperature too. if you keep your blotters 100% airtight and away from sunlight and moisture I can guarantee they'll keep good for at least a year. The longest I stored blotter that way was 3 years. By then it had lost some of its potency, but was still pretty good. (I'd say 30% loss of potency at best). If you're planning to consume your acid within the first year of storage, you certainly won't have any problems.

I've stored acid in both blotter and liquid form at room temperature for ~4 months with no noticeable loss of potency.

As long as you keep it away from heat and light you should be able to keep it for at least a year without much of an issue.

Blotter > Baggie > Wooden box > Cupboard at room temperature, out of sunlight.

Lasted over a year for me.

People who tell you that you need a freezer are either buying way too much acid at a time or are being Fucking Paranoid about degradation.

IMO.

Put it in tinfoil, and then put it in the pages of a book. I kept LSD for two years like that, and when I ate them later, they were still just as good.

Reason I say this, is because it's kept away from moisture & sun-light, and pretty much everything else. So just wrap it tightly in tinfoil, and if you're really worried, use a plastic baggie. But, rest assured, it will remain good & stable.

what about liquid? i had liquid turn to GOO (i literally had to scrape it off the vial) after a few months of being stored, non-refrigerated in a wooden box. i could have added water to it again but at that point all knowledge of potency per dose was out the window

i assume the alcohol evaporated?

Cheers Snugg. Brilliant, Thanks. I love reading and this is just inspiration. Salvation lies therein.

Forget the bullshit about "LSD degrades at room temp". I've had acid stored at room temp in tinfoil that's been good for 4 years.

My guess is LSD stored at room temp in tinfoil and an airtight glass jar will last for decades - in fact I'd put money on it being every bit as potent 100-200 years from now if not well into the next milennium.

Don't anybody worry about LSD "losing potency".

Yip, I've never really had acid degrade on me. It will be fine. Just keep it well sealed.

I don't know where the myth that it was unstable came from - it reminds me of the advice they gave about al-lad "This is unstable and you must keep it in a freezer". As we all know now - 4 years out of the freezer later and it's still every bit as potent as it was the day it was laid. I think people just hear someone say it and accept it as the truth.

In reality LSD (and I'm sure all the other lysergamides) are so stable that blotters laid today will still be plenty potent enough to lay our great-grandchildren on their backs.

SWIM has been keeping a vial of liquid WhiteFluffLSD (+/-100drops in a BreathDrops container, +/-100μg/drop) for about 6months, wrapped in foil, and kept in a dark place at room temperature. It was clear when SWIM first bought it, but has now begun turning a wierd brownish color. Why is this? Is it degrading? Is it bad? Will it begin degrading or going bad? I dont want it to turn to gloop. That's a lot of (what atleast used to be) good acid! Should SWIM just drop it all out onto blotters? Or will that only make it degrade/go bad quicker?
Help!!

If the LSD is just dissolved in water, there will begin to grow bacteria in there at some point. That might be why it's turning brown. IMO it's not a good sign. So yes, if I were you, I'd drop probably it on blotters, and then store the blotters in tinfoil in an airtight vial with dessicants. But I don't think anyone knows if it's really the best idea.

Blotters saved between pages of a book in locked drawer - lasts this way for years, decades probably if not consumed.

note, the paper fibers (from book pages) contact the blotter at fewer microscopic locations than plastic wrap - so paper to paper causes less mechanical abrasion which can dislodge dried on substances from the blotter. Plastic wrap is clingy, so I think it is less desirable as a first material to contact the blotters - the best would be to pack blotters between paper and then plastic, and keep the pouch in the dark under lock and key.

Freezers are insecure, and my introduce water during a power failure, Aluminum foil is a holdover from the '60's, I can see no argument that supports using aluminum foil unless you are locking your stuff in a glass case which is absurd.

makes sense if u r a smoker... but remember not to throw away

I think it depends on whether the paper is bleached where you are putting your blotters, a lot of paper is and you might do better with a layer of aluminum foil around the blotters and then between the pages of a book. A book is a good idea though... might even ventilate less than plastic baggies.

Bacterial growth should usually lead to sediment I think? Swirl it around, if there is stuff visible on the bottom I would think bacteria. If it is more of a plain but transparent even brown color I would think it more likely something oxidized.. maybe residu from the breath mints?

If the liquid acid was made with only water it seems pretty iffy to ingest because yes water spoils. Putting it on blotter would help you none if the toxins are already formed by the bacteria, you would just be putting those on blotter as well (though you should halt the process of bacterial growth by removal of moisture). It would require some sophisticated chemistry to separate the acid from the toxins.

Check what the liquid smells like and more details about what it looks like.

I keep my lyseragmides in a plastic jar that is deep blue colored, each wrapped in foil or mylar inside, with a handful of dessicant packets inside the jar with it, in a cool, dark pantry, oh and with a piece of thick plastic screwed in with the lid to add to keeping air out. I used to keep them in the freezer, but I found that over time after taking it out and putting it back in, that my hits would get a bit damp (there is a lot of moisture in your freezer).

I keep all my blotters in sealable mylar inside the be here now book by raam dass, have had one batch for over a year with no noticable potency loss