• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Store bought edibles in a legal state... I feel like I may have discovered some sort of conspiracy

that's cool you guys have 500mg edibles. my state only has like 100mg chocolate bars or gummies where you have to eat like 20 or 30 of them to equal 100mgs.. too much sugar and work to eat in my opinion. i'm not sure if the state has regulations on how much thc they can put in or what, but i check a lot of surrounding dispensaries and no one is selling 500mgs in one product.. they had some hot sauce that i kind of wanted to get (it wasn't 500mg). i thought maybe the hot sauce would hold the thc and some of the chemicals differently so it might be a different high. couldn't find myself to buy it though.

also i'm pretty sure it's a lot cheaper in my state to just use some flower and make butter. i googled and they said the average amount of flower in 100mgs is a gram. not sure if that's true or not, but a gram of good flower has always got me a little too messed up and tired with out a psychedelic effect for me to appreciate.

that's cool you guys have 500mg edibles. my state only has like 100mg chocolate bars or gummies where you have to eat like 20 or 30 of them to equal 100mgs.. too much sugar and work to eat in my opinion. i'm not sure if the state has regulations on how much thc they can put in or what, but i check a lot of surrounding dispensaries and no one is selling 500mgs in one product.. they had some hot sauce that i kind of wanted to get (it wasn't 500mg). i thought maybe the hot sauce would hold the thc and some of the chemicals differently so it might be a different high. couldn't find myself to buy it though.

also i'm pretty sure it's a lot cheaper in my state to just use some flower and make butter. i googled and they said the average amount of flower in 100mgs is a gram. not sure if that's true or not, but a gram of good flower has always got me a little too messed up and tired with out a psychedelic effect for me to appreciate.
It sounded to me like they aren't actually 500mg even though the package claims so

Distillate is presumably distilled cannabis oil, so it could contain any cannabinoids present in the plant.
The vast majority of distillates/extracts are almost all very high purity THC but some have CBD as well.

It's possible that some amount of the THC in an edible product may not be absorbed due to, I dunno, binding to dietary fiber. Or it could also be possible that the process of cooking and storage destroys some amount of the THC.

As for terpenes, I feel especially qualified to talk about them as for about 7 years I was employed as an organic chemist who primarily did terpene chemistry as it relates to forest insect pheromones.
My personal belief is that terpenes do nothing more than contribute to the organoleptic profile of the experience, that is to say, they are flavour and fragrance compounds.
While there have been suggestions and inferences and even the occasional study, a few things concern me.
1. Terpenes are widespread; many of the terpenes in cannabis are also present in other places, so we would see more psychoactivity in general.
2. Terpenes are pretty shitty drugs, chemically speaking. They are not water soluble. They don't have obvious druglike effects (with a few exceptions, menthol and eucalyptol for instance), they are not very palatable in larger amounts (try drinking more than a few mL of turpentine, or orange oil), and many of them have no appreciable binding affinity anywhere, especially in the trivial amounts they are usually encountered as.
3. Terpenes are not new discoveries, if they had clear and obvious utility as a drug, we would see more of them used.
4. The amount of terpenes present in the average cannabis flower is minor, at best. At most there might be 5% in the extracted oils, meaning milligrams per gram. And the particular terpenes could be one of many.
Even something like e.g. the linalool in lavender oil needs to be inhaled in a fairly large amount to produce an effect.
5. The "entourage effect" lacks a solid explanation for why it would occur, (i.e. no proof that CB1 binding is altered by e.g. myrcene) and would be trivial to prove or disprove with a double blind study.

Thank you so much for the expert opinion!

In my experience rosin edibles are preferable than distillate (obviously I guess). I still agree though; if I get an oz or two of shake and make butter it feels much stronger than distillate or rosin edibles. I would like to think beyond placebo but tough call.

It sounded to me like they aren't actually 500mg even though the package claims so
Here in the US testing facilities, or at least the employees there are actually a bit pissed about there labs being pressured to inflate the thc % through various trickery; as if they don't the grower will send it to a lab that plays ball to get a higher sticker number. So yea anything is probably inflated by the 10% + - they allow. (if not more). Here you can get 200 mg packs max, 20 mg per piece seems to be the most allowed.