• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Store bought edibles in a legal state... I feel like I may have discovered some sort of conspiracy

MXEasy

Greenlighter
So my state has medical, and I am ofc a patient, but I live on the border to a state with recreationally legal THC. Tho their prices are much better, the dark still provides deals they never could. Usually I'm a dabs guy, and I get some fantastic live resin by the ounce for less than these shops would be able to sell me a quarter for. Recently I've gotten more into carts which lead me to purchase 30ml THC distillate, which from my understanding has already undergone the process which makes them orally active, and so I decided to experiment. Now if I were to buy a labeled 500mg edible packages from the store the entire bar might get me high. These branded edibles at least seem consistent in this from brand to brand, food to food, and from shop to shop. Now I hear my distillate in the oven at a high temp until it reaches the consistency of water, but remove before it begins to boil. If any vapor is visible I've reached my target temp so it's thin enough to easily load carts quickly and consecutively, but not hot enough to melt the plastic oral syringe. I let it cool slightly and then also load capsules with various amounts which are first measured volumetrically, and then double checked with a mg scale which I tare using an empty capsules so I will only be given the weight of the distillate inside. Seems to me that anything over 250mg will wreck my world, and nothing over 200mg is suitable if it's a work day... Pretty much everyone in my area has the same experience with my "medibles" vs store bought edibles which one would at least expect would be double checked in the way mine are. I can deoxycarb my wax or live resin and it works as the distillate does. Also the distillate is just THC, and no turbines. Both my customers and I feel the carts taste better, produce better results, and I could go on, but it kind of makes me feel like terpines are a scam too. So what's everyone's take? I figure they are either massively under dosed, the 500mg label is deliberately misleading, or are made using THC that has not been deoxycarbed leaving them much less active than one would expect

So my state has medical, and I am ofc a patient, but I live on the border to a state with recreationally legal THC. Tho their prices are much better, the dark still provides deals they never could. Usually I'm a dabs guy, and I get some fantastic live resin by the ounce for less than these shops would be able to sell me a quarter for. Recently I've gotten more into carts which lead me to purchase 30ml THC distillate, which from my understanding has already undergone the process which makes them orally active, and so I decided to experiment. Now if I were to buy a labeled 500mg edible packages from the store the entire bar might get me high. These branded edibles at least seem consistent in this from brand to brand, food to food, and from shop to shop. Now I hear my distillate in the oven at a high temp until it reaches the consistency of water, but remove before it begins to boil. If any vapor is visible I've reached my target temp so it's thin enough to easily load carts quickly and consecutively, but not hot enough to melt the plastic oral syringe. I let it cool slightly and then also load capsules with various amounts which are first measured volumetrically, and then double checked with a mg scale which I tare using an empty capsules so I will only be given the weight of the distillate inside. Seems to me that anything over 250mg will wreck my world, and nothing over 200mg is suitable if it's a work day... Pretty much everyone in my area has the same experience with my "medibles" vs store bought edibles which one would at least expect would be double checked in the way mine are. I can deoxycarb my wax or live resin and it works as the distillate does. Also the distillate is just THC, and no turbines. Both my customers and I feel the carts taste better, produce better results, and I could go on, but it kind of makes me feel like terpines are a scam too. So what's everyone's take? I figure they are either massively under dosed, the 500mg label is deliberately misleading, or are made using THC that has not been deoxycarbed leaving them much less active than one would expect

It’s the terps… I’ve made and eaten more store bought edibles and brands than I can keep count. They use a distillate whereas homemade will contain many more cannabinoids and terpenes. This is why most store bought edibles have a very similar feel.

I’ve found my edibles have more of a body feel and more sedating than store bought. The body feel is from the terps and additional cannabinoids, the sedation probably from me overheating during decarboxylation.

-GC

It’s the terps… I’ve made and eaten more store bought edibles and brands than I can keep count. They use a distillate whereas homemade will contain many more cannabinoids and terpenes. This is why most store bought edibles have a very similar feel.

I’ve found my edibles have more of a body feel and more sedating than store bought. The body feel is from the terps and additional cannabinoids, the sedation probably from me overheating during decarboxylation.

-GC
I use only raw distillate so it's not the terps, I don't even put them in the carts bc the THC alone is more potent and tastes better too imo, as well as that of my regulars

I use only raw distillate so it's not the terps, I don't even put them in the carts bc the THC alone is more potent and tastes better too imo, as well as that of my regulars

Hmm.. What state if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve really never noticed any discrepancies between homemade and storebought in terms of potency. Nothing that stood out at least. There’s no way I could eat 500mg of storebought edibles.

-GC

Does distillate contain other cannabinoids?

Distillate is presumably distilled cannabis oil, so it could contain any cannabinoids present in the plant.
The vast majority of distillates/extracts are almost all very high purity THC but some have CBD as well.

It's possible that some amount of the THC in an edible product may not be absorbed due to, I dunno, binding to dietary fiber. Or it could also be possible that the process of cooking and storage destroys some amount of the THC.

As for terpenes, I feel especially qualified to talk about them as for about 7 years I was employed as an organic chemist who primarily did terpene chemistry as it relates to forest insect pheromones.
My personal belief is that terpenes do nothing more than contribute to the organoleptic profile of the experience, that is to say, they are flavour and fragrance compounds.
While there have been suggestions and inferences and even the occasional study, a few things concern me.
1. Terpenes are widespread; many of the terpenes in cannabis are also present in other places, so we would see more psychoactivity in general.
2. Terpenes are pretty shitty drugs, chemically speaking. They are not water soluble. They don't have obvious druglike effects (with a few exceptions, menthol and eucalyptol for instance), they are not very palatable in larger amounts (try drinking more than a few mL of turpentine, or orange oil), and many of them have no appreciable binding affinity anywhere, especially in the trivial amounts they are usually encountered as.
3. Terpenes are not new discoveries, if they had clear and obvious utility as a drug, we would see more of them used.
4. The amount of terpenes present in the average cannabis flower is minor, at best. At most there might be 5% in the extracted oils, meaning milligrams per gram. And the particular terpenes could be one of many.
Even something like e.g. the linalool in lavender oil needs to be inhaled in a fairly large amount to produce an effect.
5. The "entourage effect" lacks a solid explanation for why it would occur, (i.e. no proof that CB1 binding is altered by e.g. myrcene) and would be trivial to prove or disprove with a double blind study.

Hmm.. What state if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve really never noticed any discrepancies between homemade and storebought in terms of potency. Nothing that stood out at least. There’s no way I could eat 500mg of storebought edibles.

-GC
What would happen if you did eat 500mg of THC?

What would happen if you did eat 500mg of THC?

Me personally? Well I used to eat a quarter gram a day but I had a tolerance. With no tolerance when I go heavy, it’s almost like I get this tired drunk state. I’ll be super sleepy and if I get up it’s like I’m on a boat rocking back and forth, falling into walls and shit.

-GC

Me personally? Well I used to eat a quarter gram a day but I had a tolerance. With no tolerance when I go heavy, it’s almost like I get this tired drunk state. I’ll be super sleepy and if I get up it’s like I’m on a boat rocking back and forth, falling into walls and shit.

-GC
Is there a chart or some type of edible calculator, or something that shows the general effects of THC per mg when you eat hashish or marijuana in food?

It varies upon personal tolerance, and different individuals will act differently
For some 500mg THC will mean it's time for a 12 hour power nap.
For some it will be intensely psychedelic.
For a few it will be enjoyable and tolerable.

In general 500mg is way too much. Pure THC is fairly potent after all. Erowid sez for a naive user 15mg may be a strong dose, and 30mg in tolerant users.
But personal preferences may tend towards either stronger (usually up to 100mg or so) or weaker (as low as 1-5mg).

most of store bought edibles are total fucking bullshit in their dosage labels lol. I use to make my own edibles and calculate the THC content with a calculator and even with my consertative calculations my edibles would get me high for 2 days straight at 150 mg. I have been to legal places claiming 500 mg 100 mg and i didnt feel jack fucking shit lol.

50 mg of THC should blast somebody.

The problem I used to have is that though THC was legalized, for a time edibles were limited to 10mg per dose unit. So 10mg per candy or per chocolate or whatever.
Almost pointlessly weak!

The problem I used to have is that though THC was legalized, for a time edibles were limited to 10mg per dose unit. So 10mg per candy or per chocolate or whatever.
Almost pointlessly weak!

Honestly I can feel 10mg fairly decently and I’m no newbie by any means. I’d say 10mg being light, 20-30mg medium and 40-50mg being a heavy experience. 100mg+ being heroic for a non tolerant user.

-GC

@OP

For the last 2 weeks i’ve been bingeing on THC lollipops. They are just so convenient. A 90mg lollipop felt like 60-90 mg. 10 days in and I’m at about 3 lollipops in the evening, or 270mg.

But it sure didn’t feel like 270mg. These were black market.

Quality control os the key, and in my opinion it directly relates to how precise the testing labs are. I’m pretty confident that the numbers slapped on the side of retail Cannabis in Canada are accurate b/c the testing labs are subject to evaluation from Health Canada. The testing labs can get their license yanked.

I don’t know how the testing regime breaks down in other jurisdictions.

There are a couple of THC testers you can buy from Amazon. Din’t know how accurate they are.

Tom

most of store bought edibles are total fucking bullshit in their dosage labels lol. I use to make my own edibles and calculate the THC content with a calculator and even with my consertative calculations my edibles would get me high for 2 days straight at 150 mg. I have been to legal places claiming 500 mg 100 mg and i didnt feel jack fucking shit lol.

50 mg of THC should blast somebody.
I once ate a high dose of firecrackers/Leary biscuits. I had been smoking this Sativa herb for two days and my exams were over so I figured why not eat it? I had eaten a low dose of the rest of the Moroccan hashish in Spain as I couldn't take it home and had fun.

It was mid-grade or regs this was before most people cared about exact strains and THC % and I made one firecracker but used cheese instead of peanut butter or hazelnut spread the nutella. I waited 30 mins, nothing was happening so I made four more and ate them.

I got so stoned that movement was difficult, my arms and legs felt like lead, and for a short period of time I forgot that I had taken drugs. I went upstairs to try to sleep it off but I would close my eyes and feel like I was floating and spinning in the air. My heart rate increased and I was in bed trying to sleep. I also heard what I thought was a growling noise and I thought some wild animal was trying to get into my parents' house or our dog had gotten outside and got into a fight with another dog, but this did not happen. I had bad stomach cramps and vomiting did not help but drinking ginger mixed with milk or hot water did.

It was psychedelic in a way like a low dose of shrooms with brighter colours, mild visuals, and the very similar trip/headspace. I was convinced that if I did not stay awake that the THC would not metabolize and I would fall asleep and miss a rock concert the next day. I had to force myself to do light exercise and yoga because I was so stoned I thought I would pass out. Thankfully my parents were not home at the time and I eventually came down hours later, slept and had fun at the concert the next day.

My friend I went to the rock concert with said I looked stoned and fucked up, but I did not feel stoned or was not as stoned as I was the night before and we smoked some psychedelic sativa pot at the concert as well.

Any idea how many mg of THC this was? The experience turned me off from eating marijuana or hashish.

Last edited:
i once ate so much canna butter before my acid peaked that once the edibles hit me I totally passed out and woke up 12 hours later and my acid trip was over but i was still stonned as fuck lol. Slept through most of the trip. Im glad i passed out, it was getting so intense as the edibles kick in, having out of body experince and about to into a bad trip lol. I curled up in the fetal position on my bed and closed my eyes and turned all the music off.

i once ate so much canna butter before my acid peaked that once the edibles hit me I totally passed out and woke up 12 hours later and my acid trip was over but i was still stonned as fuck lol. Slept through most of the trip. Im glad i passed out, it was getting so intense as the edibles kick in, having out of body experince and about to into a bad trip lol. I curled up in the fetal position on my bed and closed my eyes and turned all the music off.
First time I did shrooms, I decided to listen to music and lay down in my bed for the come-up. I fell asleep and woke up 8 hours later feeling 100% normal. Missed the entire thing.

So I agree that terpenes would contribute next to nothing to the overall effect, secondary cannabinoids may which could be carried over in a distillation. I do have a few curiosities on what could be causing the difference though:

I assume the distillate is coming from black or gray market sources, so what is the chance of those containing other cannabinoids such as THCP etc or synthetics?

Can you send a sample of store bought labeled edible to a lab for comparison? Hell, send your own samples to the lab too this is the only way we can really know imo

My own experience from working in the cannabis industry, back before heavier regulation, was that some suppliers didn't actually know how much was going into an edible or how much of that was actually decarbed. This is one of the reasons I left the industry, that bullshit pissed me off to no end. LC-MS is what you need to see how much is actually decarbed in a sample as GC will throw off the THCa numbers

Ok sorry I haven't had time to really be on here much lately so I'm gonna try and answer everyone here. The dispensaries I am speaking about are in my, but I am in pa myself with a medical card for legal reasons. My distillate is 99.9% THC, and there are no more potent cannabinoids present. It comes from a very well respected seller and has been tested by multiple customers. This is someone from the west coast, and is a big enough player that a friend and I are working to open a dispensary in NY, and this dark seller said supplying the whole store could certainly be arranged. My distillate is pure THC, but the misleading wrappers on edibles in NY are gonna give a bunch of ppl a bad exp when they eat a real 500mg edible. I give ppl who say edibles don't work on them 250mg in a capsule, and every time it was too much. Yet they eat a 500mg one from the store and feel nothing. I could sell everything at half the lowest rates in the area, and still be making well over 100% profit. The quality is where it's really gonna hurt them. They are selling budget $40 ounces (were $60, but then I had it for $40 so they dropped), and I could sell budget for $20 at higher quality. My lowest grade of wax is 10x better than the best shit I've ever seen them carry! Oh and my edibles will match the fucking label!