• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stopping oxycodone in 1 day. Please Help

cduggles

Bluelight Crew
I posted this in Other Drugs with no replies.
I've taken oxycodone for 5+ years for medical reasons. I don't snort or shoot it up. I tapered to 80mg and stalled with severe withdrawal symptoms, including panic attacks, RLS, and severe headaches. I and my doctors want to discontinue it over a week, starting in 2 days.
I've read a lot here that has been helpful. I'm hoping to post as I go for additional advice and encouragement. I'm somewhat lost doing this.
After reading, I'm fortunate to have these: alprazolam, clonazepam, gabapentin (limited), baclofen, clonidine, loperidine (OTC Imodium), dicyclomine, mirtazepene
I have a high tolerance to benzodiazepines, about the equivalent of 3mg/day.
Here are some questions.
1. Instead of taking more benzos, would clonidine, baclofen, dicyclomine and loperidine be a good day combination? I'm thinking the first two for anxiety and RLS/twitching. Dicyclomine and loperidine are for my very weak stomach.
2. Mirtazapene helps me sleep. Which other meds will help get me through the night?
I have horrible insomnia but I'm scared after reading about drug interactions here that kill you in your sleep!!
3. Do any of these meds help with vomiting? it's a difficult thing because I can't run to the bathroom.
4. Is the diarrhea so bad that I should get adult diapers? Is there some warning?
5. Any suggestions for food/drinks besides bananas and lots of water?
6. Anything else? Dosages for HR if okay would be great
I know many of you have done this. I'm so scared because my taper suddenly went so nightmarish and I've read some scary things here. I'll do whatever it takes, and I hope you'll help me get through it because I really need support. Thanks!

The biggest danger I can see is all those meds can severely alter your ability to drive. Dicyclomine may reduce nausea how ever can increase heart rate blood pressure and pupil size. Gabapentin xanax clonazepam baclofen all may be habit forming especially if u respond to opiates.

Thanks! I won't be driving- I'm more worried about accidentally offing myself. I know how fortunate I am to have these meds to taper. I've always hated opiates but when you have cancer & major surgery there isn't a choice. The benzos will be hard to get off of in terms of response. But one step at a time.

Hey Cduggles and welcome to Bluelight! We're happy to have you hear and how exciting it is that you've embarked on the journey of an Opioid taper. Whether it's a fairly uncomfortable experience or a nightmare hell will depend upon several important factors, first of which is the state of your mind. You must remain strong-willed throughout the process and I don't just mean resisting Opioids. You have to do your best to prevent yourself from falling completely apart.

I can only say what's worked best for me in terms of your medications, but I'm also going off of a general concensus from other BL'ers. Your mainstatys are going to be:

Clonidine - Reduces blood pressure, reduces general discomfort, provides sedation and potentially hypnosis. Don't exceed .3mg in a sitting if you're naive.

Gabapentin - Reduces severity of Restless Legs Syndrome/Akathisia, provides mild relaxation, anxiolysis and motivation. You may need to take 2g-4g to achieve the desired effect. I know I do.

Benzodiazepines - You're familiar with these, so their utility should be pretty well-understood in this scenario. Use them as sparingly as possible.

Ondansetron (Zofran) - You have a relationship with a physician, so this should be easy shit to acquire. It's a prescription grade anti-emetic (vomiting) that works pretty well, but it's not 100% effective. It's gotten me through some sticky situations at my place of work, I can tell you that much.

Loperamide (Immodium) - Use this only to control your diarrhea. Escalate the dosage, starting at I would say 8mg - 16mg depending on the severity of your symptoms. This dosage is for someone who has already had heavy exposure to Opioids. For a normal person, 4mg can cause them to become very constipated. Don't exceed the dosage that allows you to control your bowel movements. They will most likely still be loose, but you just need to be able to exert some control over them, which the Loperamide will provide. The diarrhea shouldn't be bad enough to warrant diapers.

Cannabis - What is your experience with it? It's a great buzz already, but I'm discussing the more physical effects of it. Cannabis has the ability to catalyze the appetite like nothing else on Earth that I'm aware of. Even though it's probably far in the back of your mind when sick, eating is incredibly important and will ultimately contribute to how well you feel day to day. In addition to food, Cannabis can also enable to you hold down liquids.

Let us know if you have any questions. I try to reply to private messages as fast as I can, but sometimes I do get busy. I would tell your Doctors that you would like more Gabapentin. It's going to be very key for this process, as are our other ingredients. The high range is 800mg 4x per day. Shoot for as close to that as you can get. Express that the drug will help you tremendously, that it is non-addictive and has a wide therapeutic index (it probably won't hurt you).

I agree ive taken gabapentin and never had the urge take more than prescribed. And I had zero problems stopping it. Benzos im pretty sure I would act crazy and agitated when id miss a dose severe fear.

Thank you Keif'. I really appreciate the warm welcome and your kind attention to my post and questions.
I do have some promethazine, which really works for me for nausea. I can't get more GABA right now (my doc is crazy busy - he's licensed to prescribe the oxy alternative, bupe??? It took 2 months to get what I have). I'm hoping baclofen helps. I have a methacarbomal Rx just in case but it has a bad side effect profile for me.
After shopping for bananas, etc. I am going to start a thread about tapering here.
I will send you and d1nach and Smoky the coordinates. I realize you are all busy, and I hope you can check in on my progress.

How is it going? Any explosive diaherea yet haha. Tbh, whenever I was coming off drugs that would make me constipated and id get extreme diaherea like three or four times a day id find that euphoric. Nothing feels better then not feeling literly full of shit imo. You where buying bananas? Lol just bananas hey I guess whatever keeps you busy

Hi d1nach, I feel relatively okay compared to this morning, when I woke up and just thought "what happened to me". Isn't it cute that I thought I would post a journal?
I had one episode of diarrhea and took 2mg (yes 2mg) loperamide and then not much. I'm trying to cram food down but even though I'm anorexic when stressed (not nervosa) just when I'm anxious and I eat very little (I once dropped 30 lbs at a kind shit job with a quickness.
Forgive the rambling.Hopefully you understand.

We're here for you buddy. We'll do everything in our power to get your through this bullshit. When you feel up to it, I'm sure some of us would appreciate an update. Once we know where you stand, we can make a plan of attack based upon what you have available to you.

It's only temporary!

...and it's not Methadone ;)

Been there. I can only think of wolf in wallstreet when he takes qualuudes and is crawling to his lambo dragging his body by the arms and his wife calls him and all he can say is "huuuhhhhh hun nbvgg hhhh hh fsaaa". And that was just xanax I. Felt horrible. So you must really be feeling crappy. I think what your doing pretty impressive I only stopped benzos when the hospital forced me I dont think id have the self control to stop opiates esp if I was in pain. Good luck

Thanks to Keif' I'm doing GREAT. I decided to use GABA and with 300mg I don't need any other meds. I'm sitting here with oxy that I didn't take at the worst of it. I still have morphine that is years old and it's a symbol of not getting desperate.
I had a very painful type of cancer (you usually die because doctors euthanize you long after you've screamed yourself hoarse). I'm not trying to separate myself because I've taken enough oxy to stop the pain without caring if I wake up.
But fortunately I don't like oxy for a high. So my commitment is rock solid and today I feel strong and no problems.
After 7 years I can't believe today is a great day! Hoping for more.

d1nach Thank you for being here. Maybe you'll understand this is the one place I feel comfortable in a way and I appreciate your posts.

d1nach I feel like I should post something. My knowledge (before research) of opiate withdrawal was from Trainspotting. He gets a bunch of stuff, nails himself in a room, breaks out for one more hit and if I remember correctly ODs. Then later his parents lock him up and he goes through hell - hallucinations and the whole bit. NOT encouraging.
I'm going off benzodiazepines next. So I will be around and maybe you can give me some tips.
BTW, some BL folks advised bananas for potassium for RLS type stuff. The downside is I don't think I will eat a banana again.

Going off benzos the biggest thing is not going cold turkey. Benzos effect gaba in a way thats wayyy stronger than gabapentin or gaba. When i tried stopping cold id get psychotic and i could of had seizures. I was using heavily but stoppong cpld to me felt lile driving a car without breaks. Like i dont know if you ever saw someone with mental illness where they are agitated panicing sweating shaking and not thinking logically. Every cold turky eventually failed and only made my use worse. Go slow and dont beat yourself up over minor setbacks think of it lile the stock market it goes up and down day to day all you care about is that you make the effort to slowly trend downards

d1nach I feel like I should post something. My knowledge (before research) of opiate withdrawal was from Trainspotting. He gets a bunch of stuff, nails himself in a room, breaks out for one more hit and if I remember correctly ODs. Then later his parents lock him up and he goes through hell - hallucinations and the whole bit. NOT encouraging.
I'm going off benzodiazepines next. So I will be around and maybe you can give me some tips.
BTW, some BL folks advised bananas for potassium for RLS type stuff. The downside is I don't think I will eat a banana again.

For what it's worth, any junkie who knows anything can immediately realize that Irvine Welsh knew nothing about Heroin prior writing the book. If it had been written in the current times, he could have used Bluelight to research the finer points of the addiction and the dependency, but in the 90's I'm sure it was a lot harder to actually find information on the subject and junkies themselves are generally poor sources, as they will repeat any and all urban legends as fact.

d1nach, I'm so sorry you went through that. Actually I do understand. I decided to quit oxcodone 100 mg and xanax 4 mg cold. Not my most brilliant moment. I white-knuckled it for 4 days and then felt like I was continuously falling in between panic attacks. Luckily "I" could dial up the pharmacy for a refill and anyone could pick it up.
Common BL wisdom is that benzodiazepines are much harder to kick. I'm tapering and I am happy you made it through to the other side.

Haha thats exactly how much xanax I was trying to stop cold and the same thing happened. And that wasnt with stoping oxy on top it which I can only Imagine. I know I had 5 mg oxycodone and they didnt make me high but as soon as my jaw hurt I could see how people with pain get hooked. My pai. Greatly went away which was very very reinforcing. But ya id get. Panic attacks till I gave up and just ended up binging on all the extra pills I mananged to not take tryong to stop cold which only made it worse

d1nach, exactly! No way I am stopping benzodiazepines cold. I'm "tapering" using some method.
Today is a hard day.
My sleep cycle is nonexistent, which messes up all my meds and I'm not sure if I'm already used to the GABA dose or if it was kind of an emotional tailspin.
I even thought about taking a few oxycodone, which is when I knocked myself out with clonidine. I'm not tempted now but I feel kind of wooden and dead inside.
Thanks for sticking this out with me.
Btw I am out of bananas. Maybe that's it?

Tbh i do not believe if i was in your position gaba has sufficient evidence its able to cross the blood brain barrier. Therefore, i would try using gabapentin s there is clear evidence it is abe to cross the blood brain barrier and while the mechanism is not known that it does indirectly influence gaba levels and does stabilize some forms of ion channel activity. In my opinion its like giving someone with parkinsons disorder a hamburger cause hypothetically the l phenylalanine can get decarboxylated into dopamine which could hypotheticaly cross the bbb which could hypothetically just stimulate exactly the dopamine receptors involvement in motor skills.