• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Stimulant meds side-effects: Amph vs MPH

Dextro .45

Bluelighter
I just want to know what everyone has experienced with stimulant meds side effects regarding Amphetamines vs Methylphenidate.

I always hear that people prefer Amphetamines as they are “cleaner” and less of a “comedown”, and that Methylphenidate (Ritalin) has the worst comedown and side effects. I experience the exact opposite.

I find Ritalin VERY clean and have never had an unpleasant experience or comedown....ever. Methylphenidate only lasts 4 hours max and when it’s done, I’m completely at baseline, as if I never took a stimulant at all, no sketchy cracked out feeling what so ever

I am prescribed both Ritalin and Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) which metabolizes into d-amphetamine, and when I take Vyvanse I experience slight heart palpitations due to its greater norepinephrine release (although much cleaner than mixed salts/Adderall due to the presents of the Levo isomer)

Is there anyone who prefers Ritalin to amphetamines ???

I take Ritalin for short term pleasure and Vyvanse for all day alert functionality.

I just find Methylphenidate so freaking clean and pleasurable, Especially combined with a meal (which aids absorption) and an ethanol cocktail (which increases d-MPH by 40% ) and greatly potentiates its euphoric dopaminergic properties.

Last edited:
Yeah, I experience way more side-effects from amphetamines.

Methylphenidate is much cleaner, with fewer side-effects and almost non-existent comedown compared to amphetamines. I often get pretty nasty comedowns from any significant dose of amphetamines. I can take as much as 60mg of dextromethylphenidate in a day with little comedown.

Methylphenidate is also more compulsive and shorter acting. I used to be scripted 40mg of d-MPH a day combined with a patch that contained 80mg of methylphenidate. I would snort the pills and chew on the patches. Eventually i started to get some stimulant psychosis, but i was also in benzo withdrawal at the time.

I don't know. It might depend on your experience, like which medications you've had. I'm only experienced with lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse), Adderall (IR & XR) and Focalin IR which is dexmethylphenidate; kind of like Vyvanse is metabolized into dextroamphetamine or Dexedrine which is dextroamphetamine, unlike Adderall which is both dextro and levo- amphetamines so it has different effects

Saying that, my experience with Focalin is that it has a heavier comedown than amphetamines and doesn't last more than 2 hours per dose. I much prefer Adderall to all of the above mentioned, except Dexedrine which I've never had but have tried to obtain a script for over the years and it seems next to impossible (like Desoxyn - methamphetamine) to get

I still think I'd prefer Adderall though, simply because the comedown doesn't affect me. I just go to sleep. But if I had a choice (dreaming here), I'd definitely pick Desoxyn out of them all simply because methamphetamine feels like I haven't taken anything. I have really bad ADD and on everything else I can still sleep unless I'm abusing it

Oh heck ya.... if I could try any drug of my choice, it would be pharmaceutical I.V. Methedrine 20mg ampoules :)

Oral Desoxyn would be the cleanest most gentlest experience ever. I’ve heard people who have legit scripts say it makes Adderall look like the tweakiest drug ever lol

d-desoxyephedrine hcl is the King of Kings

I was scripted desoxyn once. It was extremely expensive because my insurance refused to cover it, and while it was smooth, it was a bit too smooth, almost sedating. Its feels not noradrenergic enough at low doses. Id actually rather have d-amphetamine over low dose methamphetamine. Made me feel a bit spacey too and kind of depressed.

I don’t suffer comedown effects from either dexamfetamine or ritalin - except sometimes feeling very tired at the end of the day if I exceed my prescribed dose by too much (which I only do when recovering from meth).

However, I found that ritalin makes me a bit jittery and anxious so I much prefer dexamfetamine. Curiously, no straight amfetamines have ever made me feel anxious.

Everyone's pretty different in their subjective reactions OP ;)

Ritalin is a lovely clean sleep aid for me (assuming I keep the dose low), whereas amps will more often than not tend to stimulate me. None of them give me a comedown in the sense as described by others really. And nothing gives me any sort of 'euphoria' at all.

I love ritalin for it's euphoric effects. To this day it seems to be in my opinion the most euphoric pharmaceutical stimulant--but I haven't tried many. However, ritalin's comedown was rather unbearable. An hour of ultimate misery I would say and then it tapers off. At the time I had very low tolerance to stims however so the comedown may have been worse than it would be for me now.

Adderall is just a less euphoric up and a less severe comedown in my opinion. It's not as recreational as ritalin I've found but it is still my favorite drug and I've tried poppy plant dope.. I definitely am addicted to it. 100%. Objectively.

Concerta is my most hated stimulant. Barely any euphoria/change in focus and the comedown and heart rate is just not worth it for me to ever take. It didn't even help me focus. :(

I don’t get any euphoria from dex or ritalin. Just focus and concentration. Sometimes stereotypy if i have a lot.

Be sure to take vitamin B complex & Zinc (with dinner & water) daily with stims... and Taurine & Magnesium before bed

very beneficial for dopamine /monoamine production, both Vitamin B complex & Zinc are a must for Stims.

and after dinner I take a Vega sport protein powder that contains every essential amino acid, including phenylalanine and tyrosine (essential building blocks for dopamine/norepinephrine) but requires vitamin B complex hours prior) and zinc works wonders for dopamine / stimulant effectiveness as well as testosterone production in males (zinc)

You’ll find your Methylphenidate or d-amphetamine has a more pleasant and noticeable effect

54mg of Concerta (extended realease) through the day is like VERY strong coffee, wakes me up no matter how much I slept. But no euphoria, no. I guess Concerta doesn't release enough of the drug. I tried once 125mg of Concerta in two hours, but felt around double "strong coffe" effect and still no euphoria. Though I haven't slept at all the night before.

Well there is Amphetamin and Methylphenidate. But they both are available as their d isomer.

The dextro isomer of Amphetamin is definitely better side effects wise as racemic Methylphenidate.

Regular Amphetamine is a class of it's own. The side effects are overpowered by the speeded high it produces. But the comedown is equally enlarged, expect no sleep.