View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Still don't feel right two days after awful acid trip

jackhunter24

Greenlighter
So two days ago at 10 at night I took acid for the first time with 3 of my friends. The acid came in sour patch kid form. I was a little scared, so I only took half. After about an hour it started to hit me. The next few hours were intense, but fun. Then I had a flashback from a time I passed out. I basically re lived it. I was freaking out. However, my friends were able to calm me down. The next few hours I was still bugging, but fine. Then my friends came down from their trip, but my trip got even more intense. In fact, it got to the worst point after all my friends had left. I had to stay at my friends house that we did it at, because I was still tripping really hard the next day. I stayed with my now totally sober friend all day next day. It may have been the worst experience of my life. My friend got me some xanax, which helped a lot. Finally, around 6 o clock the next day, a little over 20 hours after taking the acid, I was good enough to go home. I went home, told my parents I got too drunk the night before, went to bed, and thought that was that.

It wasn't. When I woke up this morning I felt really off. Almost like I was still on acid, but just much much much less intense. I also felt really anxious (I have an anxiety disorder, which I take prozac for) Im on winter break from college, so I didn't have to do anything today, so I just watched family guy and played 2k all day. I wasn't able to eat all day. There were a bunch of times I tried, but could never have more than a few bites. Later in the day, still feeling really weird, I went to the gym with some friends, and got chipotle after. I still couldn't really eat, so I had a little bit of the food and brought the rest home. When I got back, I watched some tv with my mom. I think she could tell I was acting really weird. I said I was going to bed and went upstairs. She came up a few minutes later and asked me why I didn't eat my chipotle. I told her I just wasn't hungry. She seemed worried/pissed, like the time she caught me smoking weed.

So that is what finally drove me to post this. I have heard of people getting messed up for life on acid, and just really do not want that to happen to me. If I could go back in time and never take the acid, I would in a heartbeat. Hell, I would go back in time and make sure acid was never invented just so this didn't happen. I have never been so scared in my life. I almost feel like a different person. I just really need help. Part of me wants to tell my parents the full story, but another part thinks that this will pass and that its a bad idea. I just have nowhere else to turn right now, so please help me.

Don't worry this feeling should pass, it sounds like a bad afterglow to me.
Some people get a positive afterglow lasting days after a positive psychedelic trip and likewise the opposite can occur after a difficult one.
If you can try to remember parts of the trip that were difficult and why they were difficult and how that is affecting you now, you may just be having difficulty integrating the difficult experience.
Keep exercising and focusing on trying to eat while doing your normal daily activities and, of course, abstain from drug use at least until you feel yourself again

Yeah, i've had similar experiences with Acid. This feeling goes away. You have to try to think very hard about what is was that frightened you so much, and understand that from now on, you can move forward in any way you choose. You are basically shell shocked, from a long mental battle. Try to eat and keep going to the gym. I don't think you should tell your parents right away, i think that may add to the discomfort. If anything, chances are your mom probably assumed you experimented with pot again.

I've had a similar experience, not with acid but with another psychedelic drug. I felt a deep, profound sense of emptiness that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, it was like a little sampling of clinical depression. Lasted three or four days, then went away. I'd give it some time, you'll feel better eventually

how long should i expect this feeling to last? Like I said, I would do almost anything for this whole experience to be over.

Yeh, don't fret man. Time will set you straight.
Difficult trips can have long lasting effects, much more than a few days.

You'll work through it and reach equilibrium, just hang in there, be positive, and be grateful for you experience.
For the sweet, just isn't as sweet, without the sour. :)

Interesting. I've heard of LSD interacting with antidepressants but I've never heard of an SSRI potentiating it to this level. It sounds like either the Prozac or some unknown factor (Do you take any other medications?) affected your response to acid.

Is it okay for you to drink alcohol?

There's a sort of newly popular way of reducing the impact of traumatic events that goes something like this: the affected person takes an anxiolytic, and then works through / discusses what happened previously. Since the drug prevents them from becoming nervous, the patient "unlearns" the association between the memory and the anxiety. It may help to have a few drinks with a friend and talk about how the trip went wrong. Drink enough that you feel comfortable, don't go too far, and don't push yourself to do anything that doesn't feel okay.

However, over-all I wouldn't expect this to last very long. I don't think you should take any more psychedelics while you're still on your current medication. It might be gone by tomorrow. If you can't sleep tonight, maybe take some Benadryl; as long as you maintain a normal sleep / food habit, you should feel okay in no time.

Agreed, it can just take a little more time to get back to baseline. Doing things like eating, sleeping and exercising enough will support your recovery.

SSRI's can interact unpredictably with LSD use and the anxiety disorder also at least may require a more careful introduction to acid or approach to handling it. Cutting the dose in half may not have been effective as it is likely a drop of liquid acid was placed on the sour patch kid rather than someone actually making sour patch kids with acid mixed in it. Not sure if you saw a clearing in the citric acid glace, which might have told how to divide doses.

Sorry you had to go through that, use this lesson and take care of yourself now and in the future. :)

It'll pass... you just have to stay positive.

A bad trip can leave you feeling weird for a few days or even weeks. The best thing you can do is take it on the chin and not to dwell on it. You haven't fucked yourself up... it's just psychological.

People who fuck themselves up for life by taking acid are not ordinary, healthy people. These people all had psychosis, or at least a predispostion to it.
If you have some anxiety problems then it might worsen it temporarily but it's not going to drive you insane.

You'll be fine. Sometimes a trip stays with you a while. The anxiety disorder isn't helping. The stories you hear about acid ruining otherwise healthy people's lives are bullshit. There isn't much science behind them at all.

I think the most important thing I can offer is to remind you that you are in control of your thoughts. Don't stress yourself by straining your attention on the negative aspects of the trip/afterglow. Negative thoughts spread like a cancer and can be hard to shake off. Remember that you are in control, and don't let them take a foothold. Also, get out in nature/sunshine, and do some exercise.

Thanks for the help guys. I go back to school for my second semester of college in 11 days, and really want to be better by then. Like I said, I just feel like a different person. Ive never been the happiest person, but right now I just feel straight up depressed, and very very anxious. I used to have trouble eating, but that has gotten a lot better over the past few months. However, since the bad trip, I have not been eating enough again. I didn't get enough sleep last night either. Im going to do my best to ride this out, but I feel like if this does not go away in a few days, I am going to start getting very, very frustrated.

Some people have posted some very good advice. I think you're shell-shocked. Can I ask why you got so panicked remembering a time you passed out? I've passed out before and it doesn't seem like something to get worked up about, to me at least. Just a temporary loss of consciousness. I'm wondering if something relating to this is why you had such a negative experience. What about remembering that was so frightening to you? Understanding this may be the key to integrating your experience. You may even find that if you work through the reasons why you panicked so bad, that it will lead to an improvement in your anxiety in life. Oftentimes the most difficult trips can end up being the most beneficial, but it can take time to come to terms with them.

But yeah, you're in control of your thoughts and the way you react to experiences in life. You can take this as an opportunity for growth, or you can take it as a traumatic experience that fucked you up. The choice is yours. But for sure, repressing or denying the experience is not going to lead to good places, just like repressing or denying any experience in your life is detrimental. LSD can permanently fuck people up only if they have an underlying psychotic disorder that was triggered (because these disorders can be triggered by intense life experiences, which tripping is an example of). LSD itself does not cause any damage to the human mind or body. You don't sound psychotic at all so that's good news for you. :) Try not to worry so much and just it a day at a time. Talking about the experience will help you come to terms with it.

Last edited:
Are you exercising? If not, I highly recommend getting some moderate-intense workouts in... if nothing else it might help stimulate your appetite and help you get some sleep. Other than that I'm afraid that there's little you can do at the moment but do your best to try to ride out the storm. Oftentimes these things begin to clear up once you resynchronize your eating/sleeping/socializing routines and put some distance between you and your bad trip. Stay strong. Wishing you the best.

I think people are underestimating the Prozac. I've never committed to antidepressants, but both instances when I tried them (one month trial and a ~10 day trial), a weird, melancholic mental state would develop. Perhaps OP's LSD trip modified the effects of the Prozac in a persistent way.

I think people are underestimating the Prozac. I've never committed to antidepressants, but both instances when I tried them (one month trial and a ~10 day trial), a weird, melancholic mental state would develop. Perhaps OP's LSD trip modified the effects of the Prozac in a persistent way.

Perhaps, considering Prozac is selective, it could be preventing the recharging of certain serotonin pathways that were dumped by the LSD.

That doesn't sound that likely. Usually Prozac just dulls the trip. I think it's just a completely normal reaction, no mystery here. I had lingering anxiety/weirdness for like two weeks after a mushroom trip. After that it all worked itself out in my brain and I was good to go. Had a beautiful mushroom trip like a month later.

Thanks for the help guys. I go back to school for my second semester of college in 11 days, and really want to be better by then. Like I said, I just feel like a different person. Ive never been the happiest person, but right now I just feel straight up depressed, and very very anxious. I used to have trouble eating, but that has gotten a lot better over the past few months. However, since the bad trip, I have not been eating enough again. I didn't get enough sleep last night either. Im going to do my best to ride this out, but I feel like if this does not go away in a few days, I am going to start getting very, very frustrated.

It will be behoove you not to get so frustrated about this. Nor should you just blame the drugs (not saying you are, just saying).

You're still very young and in the process of learning two things (1) there are consequences to your actions (I know you probably know this in the abstract but it takes years of adult life to begin to truly understand how this works); and (2) life is not linear progression. Life has probably seemed pretty linear to you so far. You've gone through elementary school, then on to high school, and on into college. Maybe you played sports or did karate, progressing quite nicely through the ranks. Everything seems like it's building to something, and nothing takes more than a few days or weeks to accomplish.

Drugs or no, in adult life you will go through cycles and phases in a very non-linear way. There will be problems that take years to "ride out" not a mere few days. You'll backtrack and have to re-walk ground you've already walked before. Nothing you accomplish is permanent. Drugs or no, in adult life you'll wake up some days and wonder why everything seems so empty, and you'll have to work through it to regain your meaning. You'll start getting headaches, or back aches, or bouts of weird anxiety, or whatever, for no fucking reason. You'll start to find your mind getting stuck in its ways, then opening back up, then shutting back down, and on and on. Life is a challenge of creating meaning for yourself, and it's fucking anxiety-ridden for everyone. You're learning about how that works now. Instead of getting frustrated and pouting, buck up, realize that you've made the choices you've made and find a way to grow from them. It's literally the only thing you can do.

It will be behoove you not to get so frustrated about this. Nor should you just blame the drugs (not saying you are, just saying).

You're still very young and in the process of learning two things (1) there are consequences to your actions (I know you probably know this in the abstract but it takes years of adult life to begin to truly understand how this works); and (2) life is not linear progression. Life has probably seemed pretty linear to you so far. You've gone through elementary school, then on to high school, and on into college. Maybe you played sports or did karate, progressing quite nicely through the ranks. Everything seems like it's building to something, and nothing takes more than a few days or weeks to accomplish.

Drugs or no, in adult life you will go through cycles and phases in a very non-linear way. There will be problems that take years to "ride out" not a mere few days. You'll backtrack and have to re-walk ground you've already walked before. Nothing you accomplish is permanent. Drugs or no, in adult life you'll wake up some days and wonder why everything seems so empty, and you'll have to work through it to regain your meaning. You'll start getting headaches, or back aches, or bouts of weird anxiety, or whatever, for no fucking reason. You'll start to find your mind getting stuck in its ways, then opening back up, then shutting back down, and on and on. Life is a challenge of creating meaning for yourself, and it's fucking anxiety-ridden for everyone. You're learning about how that works now. Instead of getting frustrated and pouting, buck up, realize that you've made the choices you've made and find a way to grow from them. It's literally the only thing you can do.
Holy shit off topic but dude thank you im under the influence of our dear friend lucy and you mightve just changed my life. Thanks for the insights that helped a lot in my current mental battles.

you might still feel it slightly or see minor visuals for the next week but you should be good after that. its totally normal to feel a strong after glow especially if its your first time