Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Star Wars vs Star Trek

Who wins?

• Total voters
Like the Q, Jedi is the plural of Jedi.

The 'Q' > Jedis.

The Q are essentially living Gods. Like Superman, their powers are almost limitless. So, yeah, that's a wild card that will beat anything. (And another product of bad writing.) The Jedi (while also being a wild-card, as far as this discussion goes) is human and, therefore, prone to temptation. Comparing the Q to Jedi warriors is like comparing God to the prophets.

Star Trek > Star Wars in every way, shape, and form.

Star Trek isn't better than Star Wars in every conceivable way, end of story. It explores a wider variety of ideas, but it often does so in a contrived way. And, throughout the various incarnations of Trek, there's an enormous amount of seriously cringe-worthy soap opera shit that adds nothing to the franchise. For every great episode, there is a bad one. Just like the original Star Wars trilogy and the prequel trilogy. Something that annoys me about Trek, is that all the alien species are basically actors with make-up and/or a mask. It seriously lacks (visual) creativity. It's a bit too theoretical, for me. Star Trek doesn't create a convincing world, for the show to explore. The tech-jargon is laughable, throughout all series/seasons, and all of the concepts are ripped out of (often superior) decades-old science fiction novels. Not to mention the abysmal attempts at social commentary. The writing has the subtlety, sophistication and grace of a cat giving birth. I don't hate Star Trek, but - like a lot of B-grade science fiction - it requires not only the suspension of disbelief but also, to some extent, the suspension of good taste. Like Philip K. Dick novels, Star Trek explores interesting concepts despite being sloppily constructed.

Star Wars doesn't explore science-fiction concepts, at all. It's - basically - a series of fantasy films, set in space, with religious overtones.

If I had to say which was better - Star Wars or Star Trek - I'd be tempted to say Wars, simply because there's nothing else like it. But, the question is ridiculous: like comparing "Of Mice and Men" to "Carnivale", because they both happen to be set during the great depression.

Luke is a whiny bitch, Captain Kirk is a strong leader and much more successful with the ladies. I'm sure if he ever had to kiss his sister he would still look like a winner

ForEverAfter you rendition of Q is wrong a living god he is but a stupid one with no common sense that's why Picard always beat his ass in every episode and all he did was use common sense and trickery and Q got his ass kicked every time. A jedi is mind full of the force and would kick Picard's ass every time there fore would beat the living god Q. Nice writing by the way. The Jedi are like demi gods themselves and are mindful of the force plus there is alot of them. It would be interesting if the two met

Sorry mate Q is just too stupid to beat the Jedi they would just trick him like Picard did everytime

I was talking about the species (the Q), not the character (Q). Trek can't seem to make up it's mind if they're truly omnipotent and all powerful. The writing is inconsistent. It's ridiculous that Picard, as a man, with human limitations, is capable of tricking Q... or any of the Q.

Theoretically, ignoring the broad inconsistencies, they should beat the Jedi. The Enterprise should be debris, floating in space, and Picard/Kirk should have died a hundred times over. Yet, they always manage to escape "against all odds". There are no real stakes. We know they will survive, even when they can't/shouldn't. This is typical of B-grade episodic TV shows...

Scottie, "We just can't do it Cap'n!"
Kirk, "You always say that, and look at us! We're fine, aren't we?"
Scottie, "Aye, but it's different this time Cap'n. This time we really can't do it."
Kirk, "Let me guess, we don't have the power?"

me said:
Star Wars doesn't explore science-fiction concepts, at all. It's - basically - a series of fantasy films, set in space, with religious overtones.
you said:
The concepts explored in Star Trek make Star Wars look like children's book.

Like I said: Star Wars ain't about "exploring" concepts, like Star Trek is... and, like I said, Trek explores the same concepts that are present throughout the majority of science-fiction. There aren't many original ideas in the show, and they're mostly explored artificially (via plot contrivances). You seem content on just insisting that you're right without any argument to back up what you're saying. And, that's not a discussion I want to take part in.

Last edited:
Being set in the past is the single greatest concept in that while franchise.

Well I don't like it. :p

I was talking about the species (the Q), not the character (Q). Trek can't seem to make up it's mind if they're truly omnipotent and all powerful. The writing is inconsistent. It's ridiculous that Picard, as a man, with human limitations, is capable of tricking Q... or any of the Q.

Theoretically, ignoring the broad inconsistencies, they should beat the Jedi. The Enterprise should be debris, floating in space, and Picard/Kirk should have died a hundred times over. Yet, they always manage to escape "against all odds". There are no real stakes. We know they will survive, even when they can't/shouldn't. This is typical of B-grade episodic TV shows...

And even when they do manage to die off, they're not really dead because alternate realities.

That's one of the things I love about Star Trek, though.

Like I said: Star Wars ain't about "exploring" concepts, like Star Trek is... and, like I said, Trek explores the same concepts that are present throughout the majority of science-fiction. There aren't many original ideas in the show, and they're mostly explored artificially (via plot contrivances). You seem content on just insisting that you're right without any argument to back up what you're saying. And, that's not a discussion I want to take part in.

Except claiming that there aren't many original ideas in the show is plain wrong. There are countless original concepts found throughout Star Trek. Star Wars uses some of the most cliche themes you can possibly find in writing. I'm not sure how you can sit there and bash plots and stories from Star Trek while even taking Star Wars' plot seriously.

A small band of rebels fighting against a tyrannical empire. Complete black-and-white good vs. evil. The simple-living boy who grows up to find out his epic lineage was hidden from him and he's really destined for bigger things. The old wise mentor to train him. I could go on and on and on. It's literally the most cliche-filled and simple story to gain popularity in the 20th century.

A small band of rebels fighting against a tyrannical empire. Complete black-and-white good vs. evil. The simple-living boy who grows up to find out his epic lineage was hidden from him and he's really destined for bigger things. The old wise mentor to train him. I could go on and on and on. It's literally the most cliche-filled and simple story to gain popularity in the 20th century.

But it's got a lot of pretty cool explosions and laser beams and stuff.

lol that's about all it has going for it too. The Star Trek series' delve into so much more varied and deeper concepts. Comparing the two on their content is like comparing a children's book to an adult novel.

Star Trek has always been ahead of its time and groundbreaking. It's propelled entire generations of science-minded people to to invent real-life technology inspired by the show. Star Wars is just a story. A pretty simplistic and cliche one at that.

Every time this discussion pops up somewhere I have to remain silent as I'm entirely unfamiliar with the Star Trek story/universe.

I'm jealous. There's so much for you to see(if you chose to). I've unfortunately watched it all so there's nothing left for me. :(

GM, please start ripping people a new asshole in here like you do in the Lounge.

You have my blessing; I will not infract.

its_on_chaps.jpg