• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Spur of productivity after taking benzos

I have a working theory and I’m pretty sure it’s fact regarding all the people who say that when they take say lortabs and lately I’ve heard two ppl say they get energy when they take bars (2mg alprazolam).

When I was able to enjoy hydrocodone, I’d take no more than a couple Vicodin HPs (10s) for no more than a couple of consecutive days.

I’d swear I’d get tons of energy because I’d

1. wake up and get in a great mood.

2. not sleep but be super productive by maybe cleaning the house, working on a fun project - go partying

or whatever yet none of that is explained by the drug’s known side effects. In fact, with hydrocodone, it causes drowsiness. In no description of its effects from those that are deemed rare/occasional to those found often/common do the side effects say they cause in and of themselves - productivity.

Pain meds make people loopy and cause euphoria. They don’t actually stop pain at all except through diversion by releasing endorphins causing that sense of well-being. Their only true action as a drug is they quell the cough reflex. With benzos - they also cause a sense of wellness but their action of mechanism is anxiolytic or anti-anxiety which is a drug that reduces anxiety by causing sedation as it’s main effect. They slow down the body’s functions. Anxiolytics are sedatives.

Everyone else said the same pills knocked them out. So, I just knew I had to be the anomaly- the rare person lucky enough to take pills and be up all night.

Although long-term treatment usually consists of psychological and pharmacological therapy using antidepressant medications, doctors can also prescribe tranquilizing drugs that serve to relieve symptoms of anxiety in the short term (in the long term they do not work):

anxiolytics

Anxiolytics, sedatives and hypnotics are medications that work in the central nervous system to relieve anxiety or help us fall asleep.

Drugs prescribed to treat anxiety as well as pain are temporary fixes. They are psychotropic drugs that act on the central nervous system. That is, they not only help us relax or divert the mind from ongoing pain by making someone sleepy, goofy or out of it but many of them also have sedative, anti-seizure and amnesiac effects. SSRIs, mood stabilizers and the like are all psychotropic but the ones that bring pleasure generally are those that seemingly ‘give us energy’. Of course they are also the drugs of abuse that quickly cause addiction.

Benzos and pain pills aren’t capable of causing energy, wakefulness, activity, motivation, drive and productivity. With benzos they increase the effect of a brain chemical called GABA (gamma-Aminobutyric acid). GABA is a type of brain inhibitor that relaxes and reduces the activity of neurons.

Benzos cause:
  • Drowsiness.
  • Dizziness.
  • Confusion.
  • Loss of balance.
  • Speech disorders.
  • Muscular weakness.
  • Constipation.
  • Dry mouth.
  • Blurry vision.
I figured out with myself after marveling over how I could take a couple of pain pills and laugh, get super energetic and clean the house all night eventually why. I wasn’t any special case that has an exact opposite effect. It was as if I was sick in bed but because I took my pills, it was on that night and I looked forward to my evening which was confusing because how could the resulting pleasant evening not be a direct correlation of taking those pills? I didn’t figure it out until I had enough distance to review how I could not get those side effects that are not conducive to getting energized but obviously I was still getting my benzo and pain pill sedation ie calmed, amnesiac so I’d forget in the ST & the next day. I was taking a hypnotic and I hear hypnosis is refreshing but just not thinking about negative things or even at the time just not recalling my problems all are integral to having a good night taking my pills that help nothing other than provide some relief. Relief is the entire explanation - not gaining some nonexistent energy. It’s all in my head so it’s all my own perception although only a temporary reality since nothing changes permanently.

Anxiolytics or any drugs prescribed for relief are not a cure but a temporary fix of the much larger issues. Reality can be altered for the LT but it requires a long term combination of antidepressants and therapy.

I was up that’s true but eventually I could see exactly why which is very simplistic and makes excellent sense compared to me just having the exact opposite responses to meds than every other person who is prescribed them… I felt so damn good of course I didn’t want to waste the good feelings sleeping!

It is that simplistic. It’s that elementary because take away my upset and dread over more pain - much less more anxiety then I have every reason to jump out of bed, enjoy whatever I do without anxiety or pain. Like maybe I only would get a temporary reprieve but i was racing around cooking dinner or watching a movie or going out even during that window of time that i was anxiety or pain free.

In reality I was still sedated but my excitement at least leveled out my awareness of it as did - if I took a benzo - my hypnosis and amnesia… like once it’s all worn off what would I most likely remember? The positive things that sure seemed to be caused only by a pill AND the meds by nature make me forget reality anyway. It’s as if say I was a little sedated underneath it all - I’d forget all of that only to recall what all I got done, how I wasn’t stuck miserable in bed and how great the pills actually made me feel!

That’s a pretty cool trick all bundled up in the right quick fix med that’s simply supposed to provide some relief but can’t fix a problem. Sure seems to the person that takes the quick fix med that the ONLY correlation between any positive action is the literal med administration… afterall that’s the only thing I changed other than my probably excited attitude in anticipation of feeling so much better.

I find it fascinating:

We can alter our realities for better and permanently by learning, practice, study, guidance and generally quite a bit of work. I can fix my problems which may have solutions in long term cognitive behavioral therapy with a psychiatrist that can assist me in learning to have healthier habits or relationships, for instance. Or, I can simply alter, much more easily and for now immediately anyway, my perception of my reality.

So did anyone else ever have the same epiphany or come up with the same conclusion?

I'm having the same problem. I've been taking xanax sporadically for years, but the last month I've been taking it every day as I really need to find a job. A couple coffees and xanax and I can apply for jobs. Just coffee and I get too stressed out. I take neither and I just lounge around all day. Not sure whats more important at this point, getting a job, or not getting addicted to xanax. My doc said he'd give me valium if I wanted it, which is nice, since I'm already on suboxone and thats generally a big no-no. He's such a great doctor I don't want to get him in trouble...