• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Spirituality and sexuality

It's quite interesting that the first few pages of this thread concern sex and spirituality almost entirely within the context of orgasm. Think what you may about Crowley (I left his do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law a long time ago) but his proposition that we should work on obtaining our desires without a lust of result appears relevant here. The getting there is not important at all, it's about the process (and other clichés): what this tells us about ourselves.

Sex for me is not necessarily about desire, and if it is, it's definitely not about the desire for release or orgasm.

double post, I know - but this is a cool topic and I think it could be discussed further. I'll add that sex and sexuality are entwined with various (all?) spiritual/religious traditions, either in a negative or a positive sense. I think, that to my "knowledge" there are more traditions in which sex/sex-energy/orgasm are shunned than approved of, but I'd also suggest that there is a continuum along which different attitudes/views have different levels of importance depending upon the system from which we look at the topic.

In saying this, I would also mention that even in those traditions in which sex is seen as an integral part of the system, I can't think of one that treats this issue in an animalistic (if you will) sense. It is never about the sleazy fuck in the toilets at the pub - the mindless grunting and thrusting and searching for orgasm in the shortest amount of time possible - it is always about building that energy (with the objective of using it for a purpose within whichever system) and learning to abstain from orgasm, be it the Hindu or Buddhist tantric traditions or sex or chaos magick.

So what's so interesting about this "energy" and how do you guys think that it should utilised? Can it be utilised at all? Is it all just a Freudian illusion in the times of (post)modernity, or is there something more to it, such as what is suggested by the Hindu or Buddhist tantric traditions?

I'm purposely staying away from linguistics and the relationship between language, reality and being here ;)