• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Sperm Banks

spuninohio

Greenlighter
Hi all, i'm a 23 year old woman whos wanted a baby for a long time and due to my husband having a vasectomy i will never be able to have children with him. :( I've been searching the web looking at sperm banks but im just not finding what im lookin for. What i want to do is go into a sperm bank place (they do exist, right?) I'm ready to have a baby NOW and im not looking at other options like invitro or anything else cuz i cant afford it. So basically wat i wanna know is can i go into a sperm bank and just pick out the bottles of sperm i want and go? Also, PLEASE, PLEASE if your from the Akron, Twinsburg, Canton, Cleveland, (even sothern ohio) let me know some addresses or phone numbers of where some sperm banks are located. If anyone can help me answer this i would be so happy. :) I just want to start my own family so bad.

I'm thinking this would be a question FAR better answered by actually calling a sperm bank? I can't help at all, as i'm in Australia and our laws surrounding sperm donation are very different (and far more strict) than the US; for instance, sperm donation is no longer anonymous in some states of Australia - this means that when a man makes a donation, he has to make himself available to meet his potential progeny at any time (there's no financial obligation but for some men it's a turn off). Anyway, i'd be getting on google and searching "sperm bank Akron, Canton, Cleveland" and you should find some numbers pretty easily.

I feel your pain though - i'm in the middle of infertility treatment right now (IVF - it's cheaper here than in the US, but still very expensive). I was actually going to ask if you'd considered IVF but then read further down your post. There are numerous women having babies with their partners who have had vasectomies, using a procedure called TESA, and there has been much success in this area.

I wish you all the best, I really do <3

Hi all, i'm a 23 year old woman whos wanted a baby for a long time and due to my husband having a vasectomy i will never be able to have children with him. :( I've been searching the web looking at sperm banks but im just not finding what im lookin for. What i want to do is go into a sperm bank place (they do exist, right?) I'm ready to have a baby NOW and im not looking at other options like invitro or anything else cuz i cant afford it. So basically wat i wanna know is can i go into a sperm bank and just pick out the bottles of sperm i want and go? Also, PLEASE, PLEASE if your from the Akron, Twinsburg, Canton, Cleveland, (even sothern ohio) let me know some addresses or phone numbers of where some sperm banks are located. If anyone can help me answer this i would be so happy. :) I just want to start my own family so bad.

You should speak to the relevant professionals in regards to this. You want a baby right now, but there is a lot that you must consider before just jumping into something as massive as this is. It's not as simple as you seem to think. I have bolded a few statements from your post that concern me a little.

Frankly, IMO you're not even close to ready for something like this if you don't even know whether sperm banks exist or not. Take a breath, and relax. You're only 23, and have heaps of time to start a family. Thoroughly investigate your options and everything associated with each (emotionally, financially etc. for both you AND your husband) BEFORE making a choice. You've basically decided to just go ahead with this plan, even though you have absolutely no idea what it entails. Please, take some time and treat this a bit more seriously than you are at the moment.

You should speak to the relevant professionals in regards to this. You want a baby right now, but there is a lot that you must consider before just jumping into something as massive as this is. It's not as simple as you seem to think. I have bolded a few statements from your post that concern me a little.

Frankly, IMO you're not even close to ready for something like this if you don't even know whether sperm banks exist or not. Take a breath, and relax. You're only 23, and have heaps of time to start a family. Thoroughly investigate your options and everything associated with each (emotionally, financially etc. for both you AND your husband) BEFORE making a choice. You've basically decided to just go ahead with this plan, even though you have absolutely no idea what it entails. Please, take some time and treat this a bit more seriously than you are at the moment.

Wow.

Just because she's 23 doesn't mean that she has all the time in the world. A number of women i know who are going through IVF are under 25, and there is a medical need. This may not relate to her at all, but it's statements like this that can cause frustration and hurt to women such as the ones i know who are not able to have babies naturally. It would make it even more frustrating if the OP is fully able to conceive/carry a child, but the man she's chosen to spend her life with isn't able to, for whatever reason (vasectomy, azoospermia, low sperm morphology/motility). If it was me making that post and someone posted back telling me to just breathe and relax, my reaction would not be positive. You may not have intended it, but your post smacked of condescension.

Also, there is no harm at all in her actually making a phone call to a sperm bank - i know for a fact that any fertility centre will thoroughly screen any woman/man/couple wanting sperm. They will spend a number of visits speaking with a psychologist to ensure that this is what they really want/can handle and will also discuss the reasons why they are going to a sperm bank - the vasectomy will be discussed and options provided to them. I know this to be true in centres all over the world; I can't imagine it's any different for the US. They will also get referred to groups that can help work through all of these issues and provide guidance and support. It won't hurt her to make the call and will at least make her feel like she's doing something and feel a sense of empowerment over a situation that (and i speak from experience here) makes you feel fucking powerless.

To the OP - ring the sperm bank - get the information you need -they will refer you to the right organisations/people. As Perpetual Indulgence said, they'll talk to you about vasectomy reversal and any potential issues that can occur with that. I honestly wish you all the best. If you want any information about groups/online forums where you can get help/support, or if you just want to chat with someone who is going through the same thing, shoot me a PM <3

Last edited:
Please, before deciding you want this baby "right now", look at your bank account. If you can't afford the type of surgery or sperm donation it might require, think about if you can afford to raise the child at all.

Our desires aren't always in our best interest.

Wow.

Just because she's 23 doesn't mean that she has all the time in the world. A number of women i know who are going through IVF are under 25, and there is a medical need. This may not relate to her at all, but it's statements like this that can cause frustration and hurt to women such as the ones i know who are not able to have babies naturally. It would make it even more frustrating if the OP is fully able to conceive/carry a child, but the man she's chosen to spend her life with isn't able to, for whatever reason (vasectomy, azoospermia, low sperm morphology/motility). If it was me making that post and someone posted back telling me to just breathe and relax, my reaction would not be positive. You may not have intended it, but your post smacked of condescension.

Also, there is no harm at all in her actually making a phone call to a sperm bank - i know for a fact that any fertility centre will thoroughly screen any woman/man/couple wanting sperm. They will spend a number of visits speaking with a psychologist to ensure that this is what they really want/can handle and will also discuss the reasons why they are going to a sperm bank - the vasectomy will be discussed and options provided to them. I know this to be true in centres all over the world; I can't imagine it's any different for the US. They will also get referred to groups that can help work through all of these issues and provide guidance and support. It won't hurt her to make the call and will at least make her feel like she's doing something and feel a sense of empowerment over a situation that (and i speak from experience here) makes you feel fucking powerless.

I'm not quite sure how to respond to your post, as the issues you've bought up don't apply to my post. I'll try though:

- If she was unable to have babies naturally, I certainly would not have told her that she has heaps of time to start a family, so I cannot see how what I said was wrong or hurtful. She seems highly strung and desperate to rush the whole thing, and I was merely attempting to calm her and perhaps help her put things in perspective.

- I never said there was any harm in her calling the sperm bank. In fact, I advised her to research and speak to the relevant professionals, so this would fall under that category.

Basically, I don't see how your post is a reply to what I had written.

I certainly did not intend to be condescending or unhelpful, and I can certainly appreciate that this is a sensitive issue.

However, I still stand by my statements in response to the original post. I feel making that such a choice and gaining an understanding of the multitude of potential issues surrounding it requires a lot more consideration and research than the OP seems to have put into it thus far.

My advice was with the OPs best interests at heart, and I feel that taking the time to thoroughly consider her options as I advised would benefit her greatly.

Wow.

To the OP - ring the sperm bank - get the information you need -they will refer you to the right organisations/people. As Perpetual Indulgence said, they'll talk to you about vasectomy reversal and any potential issues that can occur with that. I honestly wish you all the best. If you want any information about groups/online forums where you can get help/support, or if you just want to chat with someone who is going through the same thing, shoot me a PM <3

thank u Samadhi, i will pm u. :) Also, i'll look into the TESA thing, or IVF if i have to go that route.

In response to the other questions since i have no idea how to quote multiple people in one post...

My husband is 29 and had the vasectomy 5 years ago. Yeah, he wants to have a kid too with me but he got no insurance. (i have insurance but i dont no if that matters) Vasectomy reversal costs like 6 grand and theres no guarantee itll work so i just want an option with better chances of success. Plus isnt tha longer u wait to reverse it the less sperm is in there anyways? (guess i shoulda planned my life better before i got married, right) 8)

Thx u guys 4 the helpful replies...i'm planning on putting alot more thought into makin this work for me. :D

The longest i really wanna wait is 25...i just want to have one when im still young. i dont want to be 40 havin a baby. my mom is 46 with a 6 year old and its harder for her then wen she had me at 24.
Sigh. Nothing is ever easy i guess, right? lol.

And MikeOeikiM... u funny...u know i wouldnt use white guy sperm. lolz :p and if anyone explained to me how to post a picture from my desktop to the pic thread in bluelight, i would have a pic up rite now. i just cant figure out how to do it cuz it says "the pic has to have a link". well how da heck can u have a link to a pic when its on ur desktop??

^to answer your last question, you have to upload the pic to a picture hosting server like tinypic.com. Then you can provide the link from there.

If you google "sperm banks in Clevland" (or wherever else you want to go) you might find what you're looking for. Good luck.

And MikeOeikiM... u funny...u know i wouldnt use white guy sperm. lolz :p and if anyone explained to me how to post a picture from my desktop to the pic thread in bluelight, i would have a pic up rite now. i just cant figure out how to do it cuz it says "the pic has to have a link". well how da heck can u have a link to a pic when its on ur desktop??

who said i was white?

H9QUF.jpg

adoption is too expensive...i think. at least within the usa.

And Mike i know ur a white guy :)

ok, i finally posted the pic. just search my recent posts to find where i posted it cant remember

Last edited:
Wow. :(

I need to stay the hell away from this thread. Too fucking depressing.

OP, a baby won't fix anything, but compound any problems you might have. they are really hard work. like seriously, extremely hard. one thing at a time, and any pregnancy before the age of 30 is good and safe, and most thereafter are fine also. it is only when you get to your mid 40s do things become biologically difficult (for most people).

seriously, you have literally all the time in the world.

L2R - you know that i love ya like cake, but I really just want to add a couple of things:

seriously, you have literally all the time in the world.

* This is one of the worst things to say to someone going through infertility issues (along with 'here, have mine, i'm sick of her/him', or 'just relax and it will happen').

* You would be amazed at how many people in the world face problems with fertility under the age of 40.

Just sayin. <3

yeah, hence the "for most people" part. i definitely do not want to under-appreciate the difficulty some couples have (another couple close to us have essentially given up), but her situation is not like yours, dear. it is just the vasectomy.

my post is merely an assurance to her, that if she can be impregnated with sperm bank material now, it is very likely to be the same in 5 or even 10 years. there is no rush, especially when she and her partners are having so many other critical issues, issues which are likely to put a baby in harm's way.

<32u2misstee.<3

My husband is 29 and had the vasectomy 5 years ago. Yeah, he wants to have a kid too with me but he got no insurance. (i have insurance but i dont no if that matters) Vasectomy reversal costs like 6 grand and theres no guarantee itll work so i just want an option with better chances of success.

IVF is going to cost more than $6000. You should check if your health insurance covers it. Most do not. I am not sure if vasetomy reversal is covered. Babies require health insurance. Are you going add the child to yours or go on state assistance? Is it too expensive to add your husband to your plan? I think it is interesting that you would rather toss the dice with someone else's sperm rather than your husband's.