• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Songs that AINT about drugs, that you think secretly ARE about drugs

Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown

"Sometimes, I think it's a shame, when I get feelin' better when I'm feelin' no pain..."
"Sometimes, I think it's a sin, when I feel like I'm winnin' when I'm losin' again..."

This used to be my favorite song to listen to while high on opiates... Apparently it's about a girl.

Did anyone say hotel California by the Eagles yet?

Even if they did, this thread is for explaining how you feel the song is about drugs. Since the songs aren't supposed to actually be about drugs, your interpretation should be unique.

Every Day Is Exactly The Same by Nine Inch Nails

the main lyrics that make me think it's about dope are: "Every day is exactly the same, there is no love here and there is no pain" and "I'm still inside here, a little bit comes bleeding through, I wish this could have been any other way, but I just don't know what else I can do"... because in the life of a junkie, every day IS exactly the same. Every. Single. Day.

Also, I know it's about hip hop since he straight up says "Fuck you, hip hop" in the song. But 25 to Life by Eminem has a ton of verses that fit SO PERFECTLY with addiction, I can't help but firmly believe that song has a double meaning. Namely, these lyrics: "I gave up my life for you, totally devoted to you while I've stayed / Faithful all the way, this is how I fucking get repaid? / Look at how I dress, fuckin baggy sweats / Go to work a mess / Always in a rush to get back to you, I ain't heard you yet / Not even once say you appreciate me, I deserve respect..." and also... "All I ever felt was this / Helplessness / Imprisoned by a selfish bitch / Chewed me up and spit me out so many times it's ridiculous / And still I stick with this / I'm sick of this / But in my addiction you're as addictive as they get / Evil as they come, vindictive as they make 'em / My friends keep asking me why I can't just walk away / I'm addicted / To the pain, the drama, the stress / I'm drawn in so I guess I'm a mess"

ESPECIALLY that last verse. HOW CAN THAT NOT BE ABOUT OPIATES like srsly. But then these lyrics always inspire me to try again to quit: "I'm leaving you / My life sentence is served, bitch / And it's just / Too late for the other side / Caught in a chase, 25 to life"

I can think of a lot more but those are the two big ones that come to mind.

^trent reznor was never addicted to opiates, he was addicted to cocaine and alcohol. thats almost certainly what that song is about

Pumped up kicks...I am CONVINCED its about cooking meth

confused-then-leaves.gif

The Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter" always reminds me of dope for some reason. I think it's the ..."is just a shot away! ... is just a shot away!" lol

Sadly, I tend to think it's the other way around. Most songs that sounds like they are about drugs actually ARE about drugs, I more often have the problem I miss out on the message, or realise many songs I loved growing up I never really knew were about drugs.

The thing is, a song about drugs is not gonna spell it right out. For one thing I thing that's illegal, anyway, or at least has been for the most of history as it would be considered as triggering and bad advertising. So it's not gonna be like that. Songs about drugs are written in metaphors or double meanings, and could be explained to be about something else if asked (and usually is in a humorous sort of way). It's just that if the song is NOT about drugs and to be taken at straight face value there would be no real meaning or coolness to the song, and no audience that would really be able to relate much to it. It'll just be something that sounds cool, catchy as fuck, and kind of mysterious (which are most popular songs anyway).

One problem is that growing up the people who make the music you're listening to are gonna be much older than you, and have much more information and experience, many of them may have been all the way round the block drug-wise. And that's why it's such a strong subject for them. But most people, apart from those older and wiser, or other members of the music- or drug-scene aren't gonna get what it's about. Like I said, it's not legal, or at least seen as moral.

But a ridiculous amount of rock-stars have been drug-addicts. Many of those mentioned in this thread have the classic drug-addict look (and it can show). Drugs are insanely common in the music scene, and hard to resist when they're offered someone for free by people wanting to become their friend all the time. But once true addiction starts, they have to get hold of it for themselves, as it's embarressing for someone who's supposed to be a rich rock-star to go around begging for drugs all the time. The also get problems with upholding their work-duties and it eventually gets as bad as for everybody else (plus having to hide it or become famous for it).

I am actually amazed at the amount of popular culture that is really about drugs that most people don't realize. Often things made by older people. Stories like "Peter Pan" and "Alice in Wonderland". A lot of it are clever references to tdrugs they used when young, which are going to resonate with people who get it and make it more popular. I'm guessing that's why it's so popular - to make more money on it.

I remember once seeing an older chemist in his 60s talk on TV and being asked if the plant Nightshade gave an high. An he kind of laughed and said "Yes, but it's a very coarse high" in a kind of double meaning ("A coarse high" meaning "A dirty high" - which I thought sounded impressively scientific at the time, and he seemed respectable, but the expression "A dirty high" is a common term in the drug world). And they were probably counting on older people in the know getting what he was on about.

I think it's a sort of unspoken understanding kind of thing. They know it can't be prooved and can easily be explained away because people are too stupid, but at the same time, those in the know will know what it's about and take to it. You just need to spend some time in this world to see that's how it's usually done.

Last edited:
Yea, The Beatles are a good example of making lots of money with drugs rerferences on songs that weren't really that great. They were like the songtrack to a whole generation.

But songwriters seem to feel it's very celever to write songs that could be judged both as being about a girl and their drug of thoice (judging by how common it is). I guess makes sense as there's nothing special or different about another love song. There's definitely a capitalistic aspect to it.

Though in a way, the way drug references are so common in popular coulture and with the media, you could say drug use is really being encouraged though the official stance on it is that it's being condemned (I think this has to be for several reasons, one being that the majority of people condemn it, another that society would break down too much if it became something common and encouraged). As they can oficially say what they like, when it's really what gets into our subconscience that shapes us, and we listen much more to our cultural heroes than our politicians.

This combined with the way it's so easily available makes me think the authorities really condemn drug use. But they want to be seen as and to keep it illegal. It just doesn't make any sense with the knowledge of how the human psyche reacts to drugs (the rat in a cage is a good clue that you only really need to keep it available.

I don't know but, hearing the debate about the war on drugs and how it can't be won doesn't really make sanse to me.

Yes, there are a few, but there seem to be so many songs with double meanings you could almost find one by every recording artist.

This song...Jessie J - Domino...

I could have sworn the lyric was "you're like a shot of pure coke" the first 1000000000 times I heard it. Thought that was pretty good for a pop song.

Was informed tonight that it is rather "a shot of pure gold."

Whoops

The Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter" always reminds me of dope for some reason. I think it's the ..."is just a shot away! ... is just a shot away!" lol

Oh that's a good one :D

I've been wondering about the latest Black Keys album, El Camino...could be about women just as much as it could be abotu drugs. In particular -
Run Right Back
Makes me think about gear anyway...

Foo Fighters Everlong.

Hello, I've waited here for you, everlong
Tonight I've thrown myself into
Outta the red, out of her head she sang

Come down and waste away with me, down with me
Slow how you wanted it to be
I'm over my head, out of her head she sang

And I wonder, if I sing along with you
If everything ould ever feel this real forever
If anything could ever be this good again
The only thing I'll ever ask of you
Gotta promise not to stop when I say when

Last edited:
Also, Closer by NiN. When I got to the point I was so sick of my addiction, but still panicked at the thought of quitting, this song feels like that to me. For those who don't know this one:

You let me violate you
You let me desecrate you
You let me penetrate you
You let me complicate you

Help me, I broke apart my insides
Help me, I've got no soul to sell
Help me, the only thing that works for me
Help me get away from myself

I want to fuck you like an animal
I want to feel you from the inside
I want to fuck you like an animal
My whole existence is flawed
You get me closer to god

Help me, tear down my reason
Help me, its your sex I can smell
Help me, you make me perfect
Help me become somebody else

Tie My Rope, by Children of Bodom

This track just somehow speaks to me about a Heroin addiction where the user has overdosed multiple times and just keeps on going because the Dope has taken on their life (as it usually does).

Dear diary, what have I done? Am I trippin or am I alive? (Awakens from OD or crazy nod)
Once Ive decided Ive got stories to tell
No way in hell was that just another muthafuckin dream (Once again awakening from an OD or crazy nod)
Doesnt matter cuz I already know how it feels to wake up with

Body like a roadmap of pain (Track marks)
Mind like a landfill of shame (The depression that comes with addiction)
Tie my rope one more time (Tying off for a shot)

Dear diary, had I known what I told you last night
I wouldve never walked there to start another fight
Banging my head on concrete wall, while knockin on wood (Withdrawals beginning)
Thinking it thats gonna do any good when I wake up with

Body like a roadmap of pain
Mind like a landfill of shame
Tie my rope

Tell me once, I decline, I refuse to learn
Shoot me twice but Im not going down (Overdoses)
I will climb the rope you tied for me
Beat me up while I'm still alive (Continuing to use)

I dunno if this counts, but in 'pursuit of happiness' by kid cudi, I always thought it said 'Ill be fine... once I get a hit, Ill be gooooood'. Apparently those arent the lyrics.

Not a drug song, but Bonnie & Clyde '03 by Jay-Z and Beyoncé always makes me sing when the chorus comes on: All I need in this life of sin is me and my HEROIN...used to hear this song a lot on the way to cop...haha