• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Social Anxiety

lmfao flogging around a dead horse.......i can just picture you grobbing around the neck of the horse and spinning around a dead horse yeah motherfucker you think its funny huh? dont ya?
Hahahahaha I think it's a very Aussie expression....where are you from?

yeah true there are but i wanna try the med course.....i guess its easier to pop a pill than talk with someone.
VERY very true......

My social anxiety is what initially caused me to seek out drugs. Now, I deal with it through prescribed medication and routine meditation. That latter thing was hard to get into, if I'm being honest. Mediatition has allowed me to examine 'why' I experience social anxiety. Now, I can often nip it in the bud or reduce it before it is a serious problem. Oh, and I keep a journal in my pocket... I write my crazy out and that helps quite a bit. Even if it's something silly like "I'm teaching a class and no one has their screens on." I write it down and then it's gone or I can write about it later in more detail or talk to my therpaist or talk to my sponsor or talk to a friend or or or. That one is a fairly recent example.

My social anxiety is what initially caused me to seek out drugs.
Me too. Learnt somewhat how to deal with social anxiety but now I'm seriously suffering from anhedonia/dysphoria/etc. probably lingering after effects from the BIG MISTAKE of morphine.

Well, first - morphine works. It can and does completely eliminate anxiety, pain etc. but comes with a heavy and different price tag than I imagined. The long term side effects are depression, low T which probably leads to the former, thus muscle wasting, fatigue, etc.. It also isn't the acute withdrawal which is limiting, as one can mostly avoid that by other medications but PAWS is fucking real.

Pregabalin is weird, years ago when I still suffered from heavy social anxiety I found it to be useless and just somewhat cognitively limiting. Nowadays it's heavily effective against thoughts being "too direct"/too painful, maybe it's generalized anxiety.. slightly sedating, and overall I'd compare it to morphine in its efficacy but with a different feeling and side effects profile.

An atypical one was tiagabine (GABA reuptake inhibitor), unfortunately only available from some countries like France. Never did it in high doses because was scared of seizure risk (probably overblown in people w/o seizure history) yet it was effective. Like a benzodiazepine without the sedation, brain-fog etc. Etifoxine (Stresam) must be somewhat similar, this one is also unfortunately not globally available but from some nootropic shops - to a very increased price..

What is able to completely eliminate social anxiety, and by completely I mean completely, are dissociatives. Most pronounced were O-PCM/O-PCE for me as long as I didn't build too much tolerance. Could literally talk to complete strangers and most of them seemed to like me. But after a while I lost relation to my dark feelings because they were just suppressed too well and did some bad shit. Shit that was bad for me, not for/to others. Still I continue to see possible therapeutic benefits in them when used correctly, which would be e.g. a time released capsule of 20mg MXE or O-PCM.

PAWS is a very real thing. It is hard to know when PAWS stops and it's just your "baseline" so to speak. It took me 3 months to feel like I wanted to get the fuck out of bed after years of opiate maintenance. That was without some kind of stimulant.

Part of overcoming my long term social anxiety has been to ignore my internal discourse. The multitudes of "what ifs" and paranoia and overall fear are hard to get past. Besides chemical relief, have you tried just being in public place that is safe? I've found that just being outside gets me away from lots of the internal demons that can haunt me.

Could extremely mild withdrawal that only lasted a few days and could be written off as rebound cause PAWS? Say after a month of use of fentanyl

Could extremely mild withdrawal that only lasted a few days and could be written off as rebound cause PAWS? Say after a month of use of fentanyl
PAWS isn't withdrawal, it comes after one is over the physical stuff and consists mainly of anhedonia, dysphoria/dysthymia, lethargy etc. Seems to be at least partially a dopaminergic thing but different in quality than e.g. meth comedown. I'd consider yourself lucky to have got only mild WD from fentanyl..

@Specified, does MDMA work against PAWS, in the long term, or just acutely?
Psychedelics seem to possibly work, but I'm afraid of their anxiogenic effects.

PAWS isn't withdrawal, it comes after one is over the physical stuff and consists mainly of anhedonia, dysphoria/dysthymia, lethargy etc. Seems to be at least partially a dopaminergic thing but different in quality than e.g. meth comedown. I'd consider yourself lucky to have got only mild WD from fentanyl..

@Specified, does MDMA work against PAWS, in the long term, or just acutely?
Psychedelics seem to possibly work, but I'm afraid of their anxiogenic effects.
Wouldn't it be mild for anyone/most people just under 30 days ?

Hi guys.

Anyone else here on the forum with social anxiety?

How do you live day to day with it? How much has your life affected? Have you developed any problems (eg addiction) because of that? Do you follow any therapy or medication?

Probably very few people or those who are shy about registering or saying it will be posting here. I'm not afraid to say it.

People without social anxiety are also invited to give their opinion. At the end of the day I think we have all felt some level of anxiety or shyness in our lives. :unsure:

Yeah my biggest problem is social anxiety. Alot of it has good reason though.

You need to be careful letting anyone know anything. People will have opinions no matter what you might think.

I also have a big social anxiety thing because i always seem to care about how im looked at, facebook i came off which helped with this somewhat i found over the past few years.

People are hard, i prefer to be alone, its easier, less stressful, yeah its a bit lonely at times but humans are just living things who have problems of their own.

You need to be careful letting anyone know anything. People will have opinions no matter what you might think.

I also have a big social anxiety thing because i always seem to care about how im looked at, facebook i came off which helped with this somewhat i found over the past few years.

People are hard, i prefer to be alone, its easier, less stressful, yeah its a bit lonely at times but humans are just living things who have problems of their own.
You sound just like me Bare_Head, I'm always worried what people are thinking about me especially at work.

yeah its really tough because generally when i see someone out of shape running, i instantly think good on them.

But if i was in that situation my social anxiety would get to me. But its all about perception. unforunately my perception of what people think is tarnished to a certain extent and definitely a overreaction.

I need to get out for a run today saying that! :)

MDMA is a cure!
To clarify this point, MDMA can act as a social lubricant, much akin to the way that alcohol and other drugs can. HOWEVER, just as with alcohol and other drug abuse, MDMA abuse can make anxiety and other mental illnesses significantly worse. So please keep this in mind and use illicit substances in moderation, take regular breaks in between partying, do not take MDMA if you have pre-existing mental illness or a family history of mental illness, and please consult your doctor if your anxiety gets worse.

In addition to this, there has recently been a fair amount of research done looking in to the effects of low-doses of MDMA on social anxiety. I don't think there is anything conclusive but from what I've seen, so far the results look interesting and promising.

Yeah you’re not alone.
My parents said I was a “shy” child... I was literally afraid of other people, if I made eye contact with them I’d go beet red, the only friends I had were extroverts that adopted me.
While I’ve grown out of the blushing phase (sometime during high school), I haven’t grown out of the social anxiety- I can just hide it better. Now I’m that girl with a resting bitch face, deadpan, everyone just thinks I think I’m better than them. They say I’m intimidating (very ironic coming from someone with social anxiety hahaha).

Anyway in adulthood I obviously got properly diagnosed. I do therapy, I’m on meds (social anxiety isn’t my only diagnosis).

But ya... It’s horrible. My anxiety often manifests as irritation so I’m like constantly irritated with everything and everyone. That’s why I seek refuge alone at home, or talking to people on the internet instead. Of course, that tendency to be a loner just further convinced other people I think I’m too good for them.

I do coke to make myself more talkative with people. Otherwise I do drugs just to escape the never ending feelings. Feelings suck.

I dunno, I’m socially retarded, I don’t know what to do or say. I get reminded to ask people questions during conversation but I seem to be really bad at that... like, people only want to talk about superficial level stuff and I’ll ask them something deep and personal. Can’t help it, I don’t find hearing about people’s weekends, their spouse and children etc. interesting. What am I even supposed to do with that knowledge? Someone explain people to me.

Anyway I digress...
FIRST you stole my profile pic
Second
Ah the joy of not feeling a human enough to go out and
Yes.
It fucking ruins my life
I didnt care at some point for a while but now
From year i am struggling more and more.

Not without a Reason ofc
I know its my on my own expense but that feeling, you cant just turn it off inside your head.

Of course they will, just as you do. If the fact that people are going to have opinions (or opinions/judgements in regards to yourself) is holding you back then you need you work on getting over that or else will go on forever. Everyone gets negatively judged. I used to have a fear of that too, and over time I realised this:

Whats the worst thing that's going to happen if people judge you negatively? Nothing. It will make no actual difference to the outcome of your life.

Are you afraid they'll voice it and it'll have a negative effect on your self-esteem?

What efforts have you been taking in the last month to improve your self confidence?