• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

So, What Made Me an Addict?

edarrin said:
People can argue intil there is a blue moon but when the shit really hits the fan where do you go?

But they only can go to AA/NA because often there is nowhere else. There are other programs out there, like RR (Rational Recovery) which I mentioned earlier, but when the courts order people to go to AA/NA, and AA keeps growing and growing until there's millions of groups worldwide, the other groups often get left in the dust. Also, the attitudes I've seen from AA members is often that RR cannot work because they don't have God, and if GOD really means Good Orderly Direction. they still will say that RR doesn't have this, and so it can't help anyone. Of course, all this is flat out false, and mirrors religious attitudes of how only Chrisitans get to go to heaven, or how killing non-Muslims is not really murder, and so forth.

Bottom line, sure AA/NA can help some people, but probably only those able to accept religious ideas, and really should not be promoted by the state as it is, and definitly not forced upon people.

AA is just something I'd rather not have part of societ's image of drugs (and drug use); as much as drugs is a part of our culture so then are the rehabs (which predominately are '12-step' based), I think there are a lot of people in society who have the image they conjure-up when they think of drugs mottled by '12-step' archetypes.
(haha i just smoked a joint so i'm sorry if wasn't articulated right)
lol

^^ Well the problem, it seems is that AA is just all to prevalent, and all too often there are no other options, and AA or NA is usually the first thing suggested. From within the meetings they are adamant that alcoholism/addiction is a disease, and that the only way to cure it is to have God. I don't buy the arguement about God meaning Good Orderly Direction, anyone whos stays in the program long enough will become religous. Geez, they end those meetings with The Lord's Prayer, how much more obviously religious can you get. Now its been said that there are supposedly some meetings in NYC or wherever, where this is not the case, but I have never IME seen an "atheist AA" meeting anywhere I have been. The problem then is that they claim addiction is a disease, and then they say the only cure is God, but this is rediculous. You don't send someone with cancer to a church. I don't doubt that the roots of addiction can be identified with altered levels of brain chemicals, but if God is the only cure for neurotransmitter imbalances, then why is there no schitzophrenic's anonymous? Like I said before, I truly believe AA/NA is really not much more than a substituion program, a way to develop an obsessive behaviour pattern that takes the place of drugs. If a person can become passionately interested in flying model airplanes, for example, than they most likely can overcome their addiction, but someone who has no interest in flying model airplanes will not be cured this way. Likewise, someone who can become passionately interested in God and AA/NA will likely overcome addicition, but someone who doesn't beleive in God will most likely not succeed in this program.

Crazeee said:
Brilliant, so true. I never understand why all rehab programs insist on turning to religion and god for help 8)

As Marx said,"Religion is the opium of the masses"; all they are doing is swapping one dependance (drugs) for another (God). Either way you're abdicating responsibility for your life, saying that anything negative that happens is because of ***** (my drug addiction, the will of god etc).

Just wondering how good CBT (cognative behaviour therapy) would be as it involves not dwelling on thoughts and acting on them. It's apparently hust about the best treatment for OCD, so I'd imasgine that it'd work for drug dependance as well

Last edited:
When your world has collapsed take whatever lifeline you feel you can make the most of.

The only thing we have to defend is our sobriety - not how we got there, just that we can stay there.

Whatever it takes.

But you don't need religion to beat addiction, just something else to occupy your mind. A hobby, relationship, new job, new lifestyle. Many of these things, religion included, alter brain chemistry in ways similar to the drugs we so often become addicted to. Ultimately though with an empty 'parking spot', or empty life, will make way for addiction.

bingo. nail on the head.

^^I believe productive distractions are key. Having a good job and some exercise-related activities are key for me to stay clean.