• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

So, What Made Me an Addict?

absent minded said:
actually the assumption in AA is that you, as an addict, obviously couldnt control your life the way it was going. when you tried to do it your way, running the show, it fucked up your life and thats why you came to AA. so the idea is that you start working gods will in your life , not your own will. your own will brought you to your knees and ruined your life, no matter how hard you tried. when you give up your will to god, it takes alot of the pressure and frustrations of life away. when you get all caught up in your self will, it usually leads to problems.

That's BS, you're always in control. It's always your will, it just so happens that you're illusioned and think that you're following God's will and that's what got you clean. When in fact it was all you and your actions.

aanallein said:
Good for you. Thousands, no, Millions of others turn to a higher power and succeed using that technique. It doesn't make them any worse or less than you.

If humans are the 'most advanced' organism then why are we fucking ourselves to death? We are rapidly destroying our own paradise. That doesn't sound very advanced to me.

You say that God does not exist and that its proven. Sorry no. Have you ever seen a million dollars? no. But it exists. The lack of direct physical evidence does not imply the absence of something. Try harder tough guy.

Then what does imply the absence of something? If not having any evidence that something exists isn't enough then that Flying Spaghetti monster must exist too... I mean there's even a picture of it!

I was forced (well I went to appease my parents becuase they said they'd kick me out if I didn't) to go to a rehab program (rosecrance in Rockford, IL) and it was bisically a long AA meeting. I had gotten arrested, and they said i needed to go so I did.

They said if that the only way to beat addiction is with the 12 steps and to surrender to a higher power. I asked what if I'm not addicted, how do I know I'm addicted? They said I just was and that I needed the 12 steps. I forget what dumb high power I choose something really stupid like the laws of nature, I 'worked' the first couple steps and finally got out of that shit hole after ~30 days. I got back out, started college and did some more dope for a few mo. then I set a date to be my last day going to the west side and after that date I hadn't done it since.

BUT I guess i wasn't an addict, cause if I was then why didn't I have to 'work at it' in any way, but shit I sure was going to the west side a lot.

I hate AA more than most religions because atleast religions acknowledges that they're a religion.

Adrenochrome said:
I was forced (well I went to appease my parents becuase they said they'd kick me out if I didn't) to go to a rehab program (rosecrance in Rockford, IL) and it was bisically a long AA meeting. I had gotten arrested, and they said i needed to go so I did.

They said if that the only way to beat addiction is with the 12 steps and to surrender to a higher power. I asked what if I'm not addicted, how do I know I'm addicted? They said I just was and that I needed the 12 steps. I forget what dumb high power I choose something really stupid like the laws of nature, I 'worked' the first couple steps and finally got out of that shit hole after ~30 days. I got back out, started college and did some more dope for a few mo. then I set a date to be my last day going to the west side and after that date I hadn't done it since.

BUT I guess i wasn't an addict, cause if I was then why didn't I have to 'work at it' in any way, but shit I sure was going to the west side a lot.

I hate AA more than most religions because atleast religions acknowledges that they're a religion.

I wouldn't have any problem with AA/NA except that it's so damn full of itself. Their way is the only way, and if you quit without them then you weren't a "true" addict in the first place.

aanallein said:
Good for you. Thousands, no, Millions of others turn to a higher power and succeed using that technique. It doesn't make them any worse or less than you.

If humans are the 'most advanced' organism then why are we fucking ourselves to death? We are rapidly destroying our own paradise. That doesn't sound very advanced to me.

You say that God does not exist and that its proven. Sorry no. Have you ever seen a million dollars? no. But it exists. The lack of direct physical evidence does not imply the absence of something. Try harder tough guy.

The main reason were fucking our selves out of existence? Big business' insaine apitite for destruction. Why doese no one recognize it? Religeon's insaine appitite to political control over other people, power promised to them by corperate puppets known as republicans. And let's not forgett the great things other religeons are doing around the world. Humans ARE the most advanced organism, they have the capability to do absolutely extraordinary things, It's when multiple people get behind stupid out dated beliefs that we start "fucking ourselves out of existence"

In regards to your last argument, shame on you. I have seen a million dollars, and even if I hadn't I would know it existed because I've seen the effects of it's presence (multi million dollar contracts, extreme wealth, it's a logical concept based in math) unlike god. As asked earlier what doese imply absence of god? We are trying as hard as we can, but we just can't seem to get through to you people. You call it faith, I call it stupidity.

aanallein said:

So if we're destroying our own paradise and theres a higher power why the fuck is it concerned with you quitting drugs when some people have serve mental retardations?

Humans are the most advanced organism, that is what I was saying is totally accepted as fact, you're not going to be able to name an animal that has left the atmosphere.

There is no god, i'm not an atheist I'm a scientist,
God's not a theory, god's an—unsupported—hypothesis at best, and there is NO evidence for god, whatsoever, after all of these centeries of hypothesizing.

I haven't done any drugs since I decided not to and so can you, you don't need AA, you don't need god, YOU DONT NEED SHIT but to make the decision to do so.

And if you can't do it on your own then, would that make me a higher power cause I can?

The truth is even if you're in AA you are doing it on your own your just wasting a shit load of time at the same time and listening to a bunch of bullshit.

Last edited:
The truth is, there is extensive research showing that there is a higher occurance of "spontaneous recovery", than the success rate of AA. Meaning, you have a better chance of quitting if you eventually try on your own than never going to AA in the first place.

And to those who go to AA - LOL good luck sirs, maybe quitting bluelight would help too. rofl

Last edited:
frizzantik said:
whoa how did this get turned into some philosophical debate
It's cool, considering the facts and the article and I think it provides a lively debate ! <3

in my opinion, i think it's pretty stupid to rely on "God" or other "higher powers" that people speak of to quit drugs. Even if he was real, I don't think he would give you the easy path to life. God doesn't make a person quit. Only you (or maybe your friends or anyone that's physically there) can help you quit.

And I believe in most cases, people aren't "addicted" to (certain?) drugs. We just like to get fucked up. It's fun, isn't it?

It has more to do with a "higher power" being a convenient construct to give up control to. The higher powers that created the rehab program seek to allay the despair and fear people have from the lack of control they have on their lives. I know this comes from the AA model which I imagine has more to do with WASPy 1950's male mentality.

"Where's that damn woman with my bourbon when I get home from work! Goddammit Helen! And the boy... wearing a slingshot in his back pants pocket! Where's my belt Helen? Dammit woman!"

Oh the pain.

PAX,
PL

5-HT2 said:
AA/NA have an essentially Judeo-Christian philosophy that is cloaked in nonsectarian rhetoric to avoid scaring off those who do not adhere to an Abrahamic religion. If you look into the organization's history, it's continuing religious foundations become clear.

Aside from the religious aspects from the organization, there remain several basic tenets, some of them mentioned in the original article, that encourage the addict to substitute the support group for their drug addiction. A philosophy that requires religious support group attendance as an essential part of "recovery" often diverts the focus from learning important coping skills that do not feed back into the organization.

Agreed. AA tends to espouse and promote the belief "keep it simple; all you need is AA". I think there are many roads to recovery, and 12 step programs are just one.

As the some of the posters above suggest, neither god, religion, nor spirituality are for everyone.

Coping skills are an important part of recovery for me. I do find however that when I embrace spirituality and self-discipline in my lifestyle, I just don't need them as often.

FC

Last edited:
absent minded said:
actually the assumption in AA is that you, as an addict, obviously couldnt control your life the way it was going. when you tried to do it your way, running the show, it fucked up your life and thats why you came to AA. so the idea is that you start working gods will in your life , not your own will. your own will brought you to your knees and ruined your life, no matter how hard you tried. when you give up your will to god, it takes alot of the pressure and frustrations of life away. when you get all caught up in your self will, it usually leads to problems.

so the general idea is that you stop trying to run the show and just stop stressing over small things. and no i dont mean just give up and expect things to fall into your lap. what i mean is take things in stride. dont get so butt hurt when you dont get the promotion you wanted so bad at your job. when you get hung up on things and try so fucking hard to get things your way every time, the frustration will eventually cause you to use drugs or drink. its definitely not that god always has control over your life and makes bad things happen to you because you dont obey him lol.

i dont really think i'm explaining things well enough, but i tried.. and i guess you guys are right about "a power greater than yourself". i'm not claiming to be an expert on AA, but i've had some experience in the program and its definitely an interesting life experience. i'm not super religious but i'm always up to trying new things. after 3 years of being a hopeless drug addict i've tried to sober up many many times with no success but i've been on this AA kick for almost 4 months now completely clean and sober.

Keep it up, you're doing great! You seem to have a far greater understanding of the program and the philosophy behind it then most of the people that have only been around for a while. I don't think I could have explained as well, and I have been attending meetings pretty much every day for 18 months.

WRT turning your will over to "a power greater than yourself [who you chose to call GOD] or whatever, I think that god is framed that way in AA so they don't scare off people who are not religious, but at the end of the day, anyone around the rooms long enough usually believes in some form of a superior being or force.

FC

Last edited:
college_dropout said:
The all powerful flying spaghetti monster freed me from my battle with addiction.

He can do the same for you....

flying_spaghetti_monster.jpg

....but only if you believe in him.

You go Flying Spaghetti Monster! LOL

FC

narco anonomous said:
The main reason were fucking our selves out of existence? Big business' insaine apitite for destruction. Why doese no one recognize it? Religeon's insaine appitite to political control over other people, power promised to them by corperate puppets known as republicans. And let's not forgett the great things other religeons are doing around the world. Humans ARE the most advanced organism, they have the capability to do absolutely extraordinary things, It's when multiple people get behind stupid out dated beliefs that we start "fucking ourselves out of existence"

In regards to your last argument, shame on you. I have seen a million dollars, and even if I hadn't I would know it existed because I've seen the effects of it's presence (multi million dollar contracts, extreme wealth, it's a logical concept based in math) unlike god. As asked earlier what doese imply absence of god? We are trying as hard as we can, but we just can't seem to get through to you people. You call it faith, I call it stupidity.

I call it "people would take your message so much more seriously if you could learn to spell".

FC =D

Last edited:
intesting article and debate

I dont post often on here.. but I am a very regular visitor. I just found this an interesting article, trying to understand addiction better myself. after years of substance abuse.. I never went to rehab. a few of my friends have. I probably should have many times. attended a NA meeting a friend was going to one time to see what it was about.. but it wasnt for me. I mean, that same friend has done nearly 2 years of rehab in the last 3 years attending different centers and he still comes out and uses.. I have managed to land a job in a very remote location with only a very small amount of weed which is very expensive at that.. im talking au50 a gram.. so i graduated from years of amphetamines to daily herion habbit, and smoking a few grams of weed a day.. to jumping on a plane.. and taking myself right out of the scene I was in. without a chemist in 500 kilometers. I was sick for a week.. but slowly got better.. some people might think its running from my problems but I look at it as retreating and regenerating before going back to face the rat race again. I still dont think ive cured my addiction issues.. although ive got sick of/grown out of.. learnt to hate after bad site effects.. many drugs i used excessively for long periods of time. for example meth.. and pills (kinda lost the magic) but I still love the needle.. and chopping up a bowl.. and when in the year ive been away when ive gone home for a week or so, I always get on a couple of times.. Hopefully I can control myself when i move back

I think the fact rehabs seem to have some focus on religion isnt such a bad thing. I mean the question of god existing aside, the beliefs and teaching of the bible are of good nature. ie. the ten commandments.. I shall not kill etc.. These are along the same lines as alot of our laws. These things give good direction for people who might not have any direction in life at all.. all who are constantly surounding themselves with illegal/self destructive behaviour. all in all it gives people faith and hope that a miracle might happen in there lives for a complete change. I mean miracles do happen dont they and how do yo explain them.. Possibly the great god we're all talking about

n4k33n said:
The truth is, there is extensive research showing that there is a higher occurance of "spontaneous recovery", than the success rate of AA. Meaning, you have a better chance of quitting if you eventually try on your own than never going to AA in the first place.

And to those who go to AA - LOL good luck sirs, maybe quitting bluelight would help too. rofl

You make two really good points, albeit one without knowing it. Most of the people in AA, those with success and without, tried "spontaneous recovery" (i.e. just quitting), often many times, and it didn't work. My hats off to anyone who can just "give it up".

I don't think there's anything wrong with drug and alcohol use either, so long as your doing it when you want, not fucking up your life (unless that's what you want to do), and not hurting your loved ones and the people around you that count on you for love, help, guidance and support (your kids?).

No doubt about the quitting bluelight thing either. I've asked myself more than a few times "what the hell am I doing here?"

More good than harm? I hope so.

FC

agree

^^^ Yer I think that aswell.. sometimes reading about drugs all the time on the net might increase the craving abit.. and also learnt about drugs or methods of use i would never of known without it, But at the end of the day. id rather be an informed drug user rather than one not knowing what they really doing

i dont understand why some of you guys are getting mad and personally attacking people who are religious or working a program in AA. i'm not trying to offend anyone, i was just explaining my thoughts behind it and trying to clear up some of your guys ideas about AA that only know AA from a brief article or a TV show