• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids So much Anxiety during opioid withdrawal!!!

Yeah thank you for the comments guys. I do feel great! Wish you well on your endeavors as well.

I feel sorry for you. It is such an appalling thing to go through.

Try and get a script for Lyrica dude, it may ease you suffering.

it lasts me a couple of weeks and then i'm just back to my baseline panicky self

Have there been any new revelations about 5-htp and the cardiovascular system. I remember reading many a thread that suggested that 5-htp was not so good for your heart. This is, of course, over extended periods of use. Does anyone find L-tryptophan (precursor to 5-htp) to be effective? I believe it to be converted to 5-htp after crossing the BBB. Also, as far as anxiety relief go, I find L-theanine, and honokiol to be effective. The former being a precursor to GABA, and the latter a GABA modulator. They both seem to have only positive side effects when taken in sane doses, and neither has been shown to be habit forming. Oh, and Taurine is supposed to be good too.

The lack of motivation with this restless, paralyzing anxiety has always been the reason why I have relapsed after quitting opiates. I know how much it sucks, trust me. And I do take benzos! It is supposed to go away in time, but PAWS stayed with me for as long as three months and thats about the extent of my "clean time" in 12 years, sans Suboxone. Maybe you should look into getting help for your addiction or alternative pain medications if you have chronic pain. Buprenorphine has been a Godsend in so many ways but yet my addiction still has a pretty good grip on me these days.

There's more truth in the responses you got for me to quote them.
Get used to the anxiety, it's here to stay for a little bit. Might I recommend something called Seroprin-24. And get ya some Valerian and some antihistamines. Generic benadryl works good. The Seroprin shit has got S.A.M.E., Valerian, St. John's Wort, 5-HTP, and a plethora of other stuff. It is a little expensive, but honestly its been a godsend. I'm almost to my 2 week "clean" mark. Still got minor pains, lots of anxiety and tension, still got the runs. But it's going to do nothing but get better. You don't want to live for and by the pill.
I imagine this post looks retarded but I can't even think right now. Let's do a recap. Save up some cash. Get a badass multivitamin. You want like 500% your daily intake of vitamin D and I generally do 1000%+ vitamin C. Then get some Seroprin-24 (honestly, it helps), some Valerian, some pot (don't overdo it, you don't want a panic attack. the higher quality the better, it helps with the pain and kinda numbs you out. you can focus on a video game or go on a walk. exercise will clear up those achy legs), and some OTC anxiolytics. Benadryl, Dramamine, any antihistamine really. Remember that benadryl is a vasoconstrictor, so it'll raise your Bp and it's probably already elevated.

[Quick Edit] I forgot to mention that L-Tryptophan works tremendously well when paired with other stuff to get you to stay the fuck asleep. When you get up for the day, take one and a benadryl and take a hit of bud. You'll be in ship-shape.

Last edited:
This is a really awesome thread. So many people getting clean on here or wanting to. I'm planning on making my attempt to kick H here within the next week or two. I'm really nervous about it. I was planning on buying a grip a benzos n sleeping through the worst first week. Good or bad idea? Any other suggestions?

I'm kicking this 2 year habit of oxy and hydrocodone. I'm ready to grow up and want different thinks now, however I know that addict is still inside of me. I'm on day one clean. I can't just take a benzo and sleep through it, as I have a preschooler. (Main reason I'm cleaning up) I also have kept this quiet from my boyfriend. He knows I use occasionally, but he doesn't know I was high all day everyday. So I can't go to him for support. I've got myself into this mess and need to get myself out. I feel ok so far, but the day is young. I took 5-HTP this morning, and I guess it's helping? Anyways, if you're DT'ing- I'm right there with ya and know what HELL you're going through! Let's get well soon. xoxo

my bestie is kicking H. He's using Suboxone, but it's way expensive. Pace yourself, and do at least cut back for now, then gradually stop. It's going to take a lot of will power but if you're ready, you will make it through. Good luck fellow addict. You can do it!

I started using kratom, following the suggestion of another member back around september.
I found that it has been the best thing I could hope for as far as being a crutch to help reduce WD symptoms.
I've been tapering back and have not been nearly so reliant on my connection to be there for me since beginning kratom.
I haven't been following any specific plan, just playing it by ear and realizing that each month since using kratom less of my money is going into my dealer's pocket.
Over the holiday I thought I'd try getting by without any kratom and I can say that kratom is a more potent/habit forming drug than I originally gave it credit for. I was down to 2-3 cups of bali tea/day each cup being about 5g. Seemed like a pretty small dose and I thought that I could handle it, but to my surprise I was fairly incapacitated, going cold turkey from that dosage to zero.
Of course being that the holiday mail traffic has slowed the processing and delivery of my order, I got the treat of going 5 days without.
Kratom WDs can be pretty debilitating, but not as bad as coming off OCs cold turkey.
To that I can add that being straight is not a simple thing for me... For myself there was a reason I became an addict and to look inside myself and examine what these reasons are and what the solutions to those problems are has required some deeply intense introspection, and it has not been a cakewalk in any sense at all.
My own reason for drug use wasn't recreational, it was to help me perform and get through the day and get through the unpleasantness of a days work. And trying to find a source of motivation to replace what pills did for me hasn't been easy.
Just thought I'd mention this for anyone else out there who's in the same boat... Or who has been, or is anticipating it.

To anyone who's trying to quit, you just gotta be serious about it and figure out some sort of a plan to cope with WDS and somehow remain functional in the process.
Good luck and happy new year!

So you guys are really helping me. I've used vicodin for about half a year, about once every 3 or 4 days. I went crazy for two weeks and then didn't have any for three days....then had a massive panic attack. It's been a week since and I still feel super cloudy and depersonalized/anxious. You all have talked a lot about drugs that help, but all I want to know is how long does it take for this anxiety to wear off?

I would stay away from Suboxone. I tried to withdrawal from Suboxone and it was much worse in my opinion. It was cheaper for me but the withdrawal was harder. I'm currently on day 3 (again) of withdrawal from percs and I looked up how long the anxiety will last which brought me to your post. The anxiety is what always makes me cave (haven't made it to day 4 yet but i WILL this time). I think I'll try the 5-whatever since it seems that many have had positive results. I'm trying to get to 100% clean (not a single med) like I was 4 years ago before picking up percs. Who knew my recreational use would turn into a habit especially since I've always been anti-meds. Will the 5-? also help with sleep for a whole 8 hours? I don't take things like nyquil because I am wide awake after 4 hours. Melatonin seems to only work for one night.

valerian tea. warm baths. breathing exercises, yoga. stretching. talking to people who have been through this before. that's all you can really do. stay strong, you can do this.

Great job to everybody that's quitting or trying to quit. I was on about a 30mg methadone habit for about a year. 2 months ago and found it unbearable to quit cold turkey. I got myself some suboxone started taking 2mgs a day and weened myself down to .5mg over the course of the last 2 months. I tried jumping off that cold turkey and the anxiety I got from that after day 4 was unbearable. From there I got myself some hydrocodone 10 taking one to one and a half a day for 4 days then switched over to some perc 7.5s which I took for another five days. It's been 3 days since my last pain killer and though the physical symptoms were shitty for the first 2 days after that the physical withdrawl stopped. I've been getting anxiety and swimming or walking really helps with that. Im starting to feel like my old self again in no time. I've also been taking l- tyrosine for mood and valerian root for sleep which is keeping me asleep all night. All and all I know anyone can quit if they want to and create a great taper plan for themselves. There are lots of great forums out there on how to get off any substance your addicted to. This is what worked for me and I hope I can inspire someone else to realize that though hard to stop opiates it's not impossible even on the worst stuff.

The last time I got high (on opiates) was exactly a month ago today, though I did taper with loperamide. Stopped that about 3 days ago. The anxiety is already GREATLY reduced for me, and I have general anxiety and ptsd on top of it. Hang in there, I'm in a completely different place mentally than I was a few weeks ago. The first week is always by far the worst.