• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids So much Anxiety during opioid withdrawal!!!

OPIATEwisdom

Greenlighter
I have anxiety all fucking day from the moment I wake up! I know this is a thing of opiate withdrawal. Any one know how long this could last being clean from opiates? I never went crazy off the deep end. Basically I been using like every 3-4 days over the course of like 3 years. Recently I have only been doing opiates a couple times a month and been using suboxone in between. I have been off everything for 3 days and I have the worst anxiety and shit. I was not on any benzos. When I did use It was anywhere from 30-150mg. And it wasn't even in the higher mg until the last 5-6 months. Before that it was 30-45mg at MOST!
A friend who has been clean for 9 months said he had the same feels and that after a few weeks to a month the anxiety feeling goes away. Can you guys back that up? haha

The anxiety will go away, you are in the first week of withdrawl, of course you are going to be anxious. It does get better, there are several threads on here to help as well. Take it easy man

Appreciate the help man. Yeah I am anxious 24/7 really sucks. But I guess it will pass.

You might want to look into trying 5-HTP. It's an OTC supplement and is a naturally occurring amino acid in the body and is a precursor to endorphins in the brain. It's non-addictive. It is an anti-depressant and a sleep-aid. To some extent it also help with pain-relief. It basically puts you in a better mood and helps you to not stress out so much (i.e anxiety). It works extremely well for some people and not so much for others. It's cheap and you can find it in most health food stores, vitamin stores, and even a lot of grocery stores. A lot of people like to use it for PAWS.

^Seriously? I been seeing that -everywhere-, that's what it is? Im going to steal a bottle of that tomorrow from Rite-Aid.

^Seriously? I been seeing that -everywhere-, that's what it is? Im going to steal a bottle of that tomorrow from Rite-Aid.

5-HTP is awesome if it works for you! It's an amino acid and perfectly safe unless you're already taking drugs that increases serotonin! It helps your brain produce more endorphins such as serotonin, melatonin, tryptophan and I think some others (I think it mainly increases serotonin). This is fantastic for people who have been using opiates for a long time and then quit because the brains of opiate users don't produce enough endorphins for some time after quitting.

When I use 5-HTP, it makes me feel really really happy, DRASTICALLY decreases anxiety, and it even lessens the severity of withdrawal symptoms in my personal case. It also helps me sleep if I take it at night time, but it doesn't make me sleep if I take it during the day!!! Anyways, just don't take too much of it at a time because it can give you very, VERY strange dreams (I've had some whoppers of ridiculous dreams on 5-HTP and while I enjoyed them, most people would probably freak out haha) and make you nauseous with doses larger than a person would actually need.

EDIT: Just to note, it's probably not a good idea to take 5-HTP if you're already taking some kind of prescribed anti-depressant

Last edited:
I've known people who have said 5-HTP works better for them than actual prescribed anti-depressants they've used and that it has a variety of cool/interesting effects for them. Other people although, have said that 5-HTP does nothing at all to them so I think it's hit or miss with it. It'll either work well for you or it won't do shit :)

i'm one of those whose taken 5-HTP as a meth user (s'posta be extra effective for meth), and nothing.

the only thing that ever improved my meth using was quitting.

I'm glad you didn't steal it. It will take a while to get there.
Do you have benzos? They are not as good as opiates but do kill anxiety. If you have any beta blockers, that will help too, although not as much.

it said 3-5 day shipping from amazon. I had a little xanax, I do not really like taking benzos. Hate the feeling.

"It's an amino acid and perfectly safe "

any anti-depressent has the poo-tential to induce hypomania/mania.
5htp made me waaay more manic than prozac, just saying.
safe for most people i guess

You didn't mentiontion which benzo you're taking that said amount of, so that could be a normal dose, or a very, very large dose depending on the drug. As mentioned all over these boards, you may want to ask a physician about possible GABAergics that may help you with getting off of benzos or at least slowly tapering back down to a more reasonable dose.

Also, 5-HTP is great in the case of reloading serotonin which is a monoamine neurotransmitter, not having anything to do with endorphins; though it may bring on a feeling of relaxation and well-being. Unfortunately the only way for endorphins to start being produced again is abstinence from the opioids themselves.
5-HTP is a precursor to serotonin and melatonin which is why it works great on drugs that have a high affinity for serotonin and releasing it from within the vesicles in a neuron, meth being one as our friend mentioned above. A lot of people use it to replenish serotonin after a roll on MDMA as that is a huge releaser and can deplete the brains supply fairly quickly with repetative dosing.
You may even want to check into the "smart-drug" skullcap (scopolamine) as that reduces anxiety, but check with your physician first if you may be using any medications that interact with serotonin or dopamine or other monoamine transmitters; it really wouldn't hurt to check if you weren't taking any meds either.

Good luck, my friend. Keep us updated on how things are going!

Last edited:
I have anxiety all fucking day from the moment I wake up! I know this is a thing of opiate withdrawal. Any one know how long this could last being clean from opiates? I never went crazy off the deep end. Basically I been using like every 3-4 days over the course of like 3 years. Recently I have only been doing opiates a couple times a month and been using suboxone in between. I have been off everything for 3 days and I have the worst anxiety and shit. I was not on any benzos. When I did use It was anywhere from 30-150mg. And it wasn't even in the higher mg until the last 5-6 months. Before that it was 30-45mg at MOST!
A friend who has been clean for 9 months said he had the same feels and that after a few weeks to a month the anxiety feeling goes away. Can you guys back that up? haha
Go to the gym, start walking, masterbate, do whatever, just get off the stuff for good, NA might help

i think anyone with opioid or opiate dependency problems can sympathize with your situation, which is one of the reasons that it's so hard for many people to stay clean. I remember that I detoxed off methadone in a rehab and had to stay there for four months, and I was feeling suicidally depressed and anxious the whole time I was there, and in truth, that didn't end untill after about seven months after a relapse. Then for some reason I was able to stay clean, and have unfortunately repeatedly relapsed.

I think that the key to getting clean is that you have to find new things that make you happy, or bring you pleasure, and even if they don't at first, they eventually will. That of course is all easier said than done, I just used multiple substances today and do not feel any great desire to stop myself from future use, but I wish I could have that motivation again.

I hope you feel better, If you have to take a benzo I would recomend clonazepam or gabapentin, I feel that there pretty good at relieving anxiety and don't really have the ability to consitantly get you stoned.

You should be about 8 days clean now if you haven't relapsed. I bet you don't feel THAT much better yet, but you will. ACCEPT the fact that you are too anxious and depressed to get anything done, and just FORCE yourself to get to 14 days. I think you may notice an improvement, perhaps a significant one. If not, it is nothing to be afraid of, just set yourself a new goal, like 21 days. It WILL get better, your brain just needs to re-learn how to walk before it can run... and when you get there, you will feel like yourself again!

I found that smoking a little weed and taking a low dose of benzo (1 mg lorazepam or 0.5 mg xanax) would almost completely remove my anxiety for the remainder of the night. Its possible the weed could make you feel funny during the day, but everyones different.

Hey guys. I am right now 7 days clean. I have been using the 5-htp for about 4 of those days. My anxiety has reduced immensely and while I am still only able to sleep for a few hours at a time I do not wake up with nearly the amount of anxiety I was experiencing. I guess the 5-htp is really helping. Thanks for taking the time to post in here. Being clean is great, but to be honest I feel like I want to take a nice break and then maybe use periodically. I dunno, I love opiates and feel like I can be responsible in small doses. Maybe not...haha I used to only use like once every week and that was fine. As long as I didn't use to were I get withdrawals and anxiety I feel I could be fine.. I LOVE the feeling of being clean right now, A lot actually. I have not felt this good being clean off opiates in what feels like forever. Again thank you for the support.

Hey guys. I am right now 7 days clean. I have been using the 5-htp for about 4 of those days. My anxiety has reduced immensely and while I am still only able to sleep for a few hours at a time I do not wake up with nearly the amount of anxiety I was experiencing. I guess the 5-htp is really helping. Thanks for taking the time to post in here. Being clean is great, but to be honest I feel like I want to take a nice break and then maybe use periodically. I dunno, I love opiates and feel like I can be responsible in small doses. Maybe not...haha I used to only use like once every week and that was fine. As long as I didn't use to were I get withdrawals and anxiety I feel I could be fine.. I LOVE the feeling of being clean right now, A lot actually. I have not felt this good being clean off opiates in what feels like forever. Again thank you for the support.

Good job man :) I too am 7 days clean and it feels great. I don't trust myself to think I'd be able to moderately use again and I don't want to risk it.

Once you get past the physical hell, it's all in your head. Remember anxiety is psychological! Don't let it beat you! Keep a positive attitude, treat your body right and your conscious mind will act accordingly. If it does act up, give it extra broccoli to show it who's boss. ;)

Good job man :) I too am 7 days clean and it feels great. I don't trust myself to think I'd be able to moderately use again and I don't want to risk it.

Once you get past the physical hell, it's all in your head. Remember anxiety is psychological! Don't let it beat you! Keep a positive attitude, treat your body right and your conscious mind will act accordingly. If it does act up, give it extra broccoli to show it who's boss. ;)

Ha,ha yep. For me the anxiety is the worst part of kicking. I can handle the sick but the high A is a total bummer. It does pass but takes a while. You got to figure that if you've been strung for X amount of time, it's gonna take a good bit of that to be truely back to "normal".