• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Smoking H - impossible to OD?

^^aggreed with your first paragraph.
The only case of OD i ever witnessed was a girl with next to no opiate tolerance who blasted a half point of extremely potent heroin.
once i saw that she was heading towards an OD i made the necessary preparations, but between the time it was obvious she was in an OD and the time that she actually lay down and stopped breathing, she could have consmed a LOT more heroin.

when you're smoking H, you don't just drop everythiing and fall over once you smoke a certain amount. there's time for you to smoke yourself into an OD... given you have no tolerance. I doubt I could smoke myself into an OD.

also, re: suboxone strips - if i only have suboxone pills, if someone's OD'd will placing the pill under their tongue still have effect or does the lack of breathing prevent salivation?

The thing is, heroin is rarely the only drug indicated in ODs; it's usually a combination of CNS depressants - typically benzos and/or alcohol. I think I read some stats from a few years back, in Australia - only 5% of heroin ODs indicated heroin as the only active substance.

The only times I've either OD'd myself, or witnessed someone else OD (and I mean the sort where you actually stop breathing and require attention from someone else to stay alive) there has been either benzos (most commonly xanax) or a very large amount of alcohol (often only a small amount of xanax though.. dangerous stuff).

So - whilst it's probably incredibly unlikely to smoke yourself into an overdose, if that is the only thing you're taking. It would still be incredibly possible to die from smoking heroin in combination with something else, benzos for example. In fact, I knew a guy, about 10 years back, who died from smoking heroin and consuming xanax.

EDIT: I've had a (very) quick search online, I can't find any statistics regarding this. If anyone can find a proper study that has statistics relating to heroin overdoses and smoking it, I'd be quite interested to see it.. So if anyone can be bothered spending 20min or so, banging away at Google.. please post here if you find something credible! Thanks!

Last edited:
With H alone, I have been unable to find an example of anyone who has fatally ODed. I would expect someone without tolerance to puke WAY before that... but if someone knows better, I really would like to know.

you most certainly can, as i discovered ( or should i say was discovered after a about .3 (not a massive amount for me but still))
thank god my parents where there or i would have most likely departed this transient world - be safe, go slow

puking isn't a good safeguard against an OD.. careless people do as careless people do