• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Smoking H - impossible to OD?

Fornax55

Bluelighter
This is common heresay but I'd like some clarification because I feel like this is just a rumour with no factual evidence. I've been told since my introduction to the drug community that smoking heroin makes an overdose impossible because you'd pass out before you've had a chance to consume enough of the drug. That's part of the reason that chasing's always been my preferred RoA, but I don't find much truth behind it...

I've recently witnessed some users who are not opiate naive, but have virtually no tolerance, engrossing themselves in some very strong heroin.. They are able to get a strong nod off less than a quarter point. I've never made a point of experimenting with this, but it takes a couple minutes after smoking for the heroin to settle and cross the BBB to be efficacious enough to cause full respiratory depression, does it not? You wouldn't smoke a toke and instantly nod out - you would smoke, and a few minutes after, nod off. That said, in those few minutes between your toke and your inevitable nodding off, you could take x amount more tokes. And, considering it's possible to easily smoke a quarter point in a single toke.... it makes we wonder where this rumour even found its basis considering its often touted by people who don't even touch heroin themselves... just food for thought?:?

I'd say it is the safest ROA but with powerful drugs like high purity heroin I'd assume to a new user, that an OD is still possible.

Personally the times I had it a .2 bag of 70-80% would last me 2 full days. Just be careful I guess.

To OD you would have to continually smoke hit after hit, and no one does that. People smoke until they feel content and high you don't see a guy nodding out and all sudden get up grab the foil and start taking a bunch of hits lol. I guess OD is theoretically possible but not likely

aye, mixing - especially for a beginner - is silly. I'm fairly certain if a completely opiate-naive user blasted a half-point of close-to-pure heroin using the bottle method, death would be very real risk. Even separating tokes at half hour intervals, my friend's been unable to smoke more than a quarter point without a fierce nod and generally limits herself to one or two small tokes...

From what I've heard it seems that smoking is one of the quickest ways to get heroin in your brain second only to IV, so you would know almost instantly how high you are and where your limit is. It seems that you would hit a point very quickly where you were either satisfied with your high or too uncomfortable to want to smoke more.

Even if I am completely off base with my assumptions you are consuming heroin, a drug notorious for causing OD's. it doesn't matter how you ingest it the amout of heroin in your blood that would kill you is still the same and therefore could still theoretically cause an OD. Is it likely, maybe not. Is it possible, yes.

Haha to the guy that said u don't see people nodding out and then picking the foil back up to rip it... That's usually exactly what happens, u nod, drop the foil or ur lighter or ur tooter then wake up and go right back to chasing even tho u really don't need to! Also I think smoking it actually makes it get to the brain faster than iv just u can't take in a whole .2 in one hit like iv. Like it was said earlier it is possible to OD but not very likely...

Last edited:
unlikely unless youre mixing other downers, bt its been known to happen with very pure stuff and stuff thats been cut with fent and not mixed properly. just go slow.

and to the above poster, the gear does get to your brain faster, its just you have to smoke it gradually, so you dont get as much as a rush.

using the right methods and equipment, .2 can be smoked all at once but I'm pretty sure the resultant cloud of smoke would be so thick that some would be lost during absorbtion

The cutting with fent is one of the very reasons I'm pretty wary of H. The second time I had it the euphoria from chasing it was up there with the best MDMA euphoria in terms of intensity, probably more so, and organic feeling. It's just I worry about things like antrax contaminated batches, fent, getting a physical addiction. Heroin itself if used sparingly is pretty benign. However the risks with cuts, the lure of addiction etc are very high.

On a slight sidenote I had a batch of heroin that I felt awful after. Was like a severe dopamine comedown. Does this happen often? I'd like to try it again sometime but I'm weary. Just feels like going from the pan to the fire.

Haha to the guy that said u don't see people nodding out and then picking the foil back up to rip it... That's usually exactly what happens, u nod, drop the foil or ur lighter or ur tooter then wake up and go right back to chasing even tho u really don't need to! Also I think smoking it actually makes it get to the brain faster than iv just u can't take in a whole .2 in one hit like iv. Like it was said earlier it is possible to OD but not very likely...
They might hit it again but not to the point of OD. Come on you know what I'm sayin

I don't think that is how he meant it, like when you start that nod you enjoy it for a while it is nice. Then as soon as it starts to fade you pick it right back up. But when you are in the zone you know it, you are not thinking about anything other than daaaaaaaaaamn this shit feels gooooooood. And by that time that has happened you are usually good to take another hit. Even if you did for some reason decide to take a hit whist in the zone you would just pass out. I have seen people get totally zonked out chasing, but usually come back to pretty quickly, and then like you said are right back looking for that foil LOL. The worst is watching somebody down their whole stash in that state and then looking around ask asking who took all their dope?!?!

I don't think that is how he meant it, like when you start that nod you enjoy it for a while it is nice. Then as soon as it starts to fade you pick it right back up. But when you are in the zone you know it, you are not thinking about anything other than daaaaaaaaaamn this shit feels gooooooood. And by that time that has happened you are usually good to take another hit. Even if you did for some reason decide to take a hit whist in the zone you would just pass out. I have seen people get totally zonked out chasing, but usually come back to pretty quickly, and then like you said are right back looking for that foil LOL. The worst is watching somebody down their whole stash in that state and then looking around ask asking who took all their dope?!?!
Thank you MadDash you clarified it pretty nicely, tho we have argued on a couple different posts you know what you're talking about most of the time ;) lol

Hey yah sorry I wasn't trying to starting anything, I think we're all in agreement that it is highly unlikely to OD smoking. You can still nod with the best of them. Also I think me being clean for 3 weeks, well 1 week of subs & 2 weeks on Wednesday with nothing is making me really just agitated and slow or something. I smoked it for a good 4 years probably and I don't know how many times tho I would wake up looking for my foil and then look in the mirror at some point hours later realizing I had war paint all over my gd face!

So basically I was that exact jerkoff u are referring to mad dash just burning it down when ur in the zone! It's an all around fiendish and shitty habit! Wow sorry for the ranting

Thank you MadDash you clarified it pretty nicely, tho we have argued on a couple different posts you know what you're talking about most of the time ;) lol

haha don't worry about it, life is full of tragedies, especially for people who have lived the kind of lives we have, so addicts gotta stick together. We don't need to hate on each other ;) Just an FYI if I ever seem to be unusually rude I do have service connected PTSD and it fucks with my head a lot. Sometimes in between AM and PM doses of medication I get a little aggressive.

Last edited:
Hey yah sorry I wasn't trying to starting anything, I think we're all in agreement that it is highly unlikely to OD smoking. You can still nod with the best of them. Also I think me being clean for 3 weeks, well 1 week of subs & 2 weeks on Wednesday with nothing is making me really just agitated and slow or something. I smoked it for a good 4 years probably and I don't know how many times tho I would wake up looking for my foil and then look in the mirror at some point hours later realizing I had war paint all over my gd face!

So basically I was that exact jerkoff u are referring to mad dash just burning it down when ur in the zone! It's an all around fiendish and shitty habit! Wow sorry for the ranting

LoL!! I had a buddy in college that had to smoke everything he moved away before we ever found dope but he would smoke his roxis (blue 30 mg) and I swear to God, he would start with like 4 pills, and then finish them all and swear to God, that people must be taking his pills or he is dropping them or losing them or something! So one day I set up my camera and filmed his entire session and watched it all back he could not believe his eyes! He was like WOW I am such an asshole. He had made some serious fucking accusations before. So he realized he was just doing them all. So one day after I showed him the video, I actually did take one and he thought he just smoked it all up in a haze.

HAHAHAHA I was such a shit. But I gave him a couple for free, I mean I was his dealer so he got free shit from me all the time for being a loyal customer and for chasing a guy down that stole my fucking pill bottle out of my drawer and bolted out the door! I didn't know what to do because I had just woke up and I was in my boxers no socks or shoes, but my buddy bolted out the door beat the shit out of him (well I mean not like THAT bad) but a good whopping and brought all the pills back. So I always took care of him, good kid, he is actually a drummer in some Christian band now LOL. I have soooo many stupid stories from the good ole days...

pretty sure when people say its impossible to OD they mean it's impossible to not KNOWINGLY/INTENTIONALLY continue to smoke after it has hit you. If you ignore your instincts im sure it's still possible to OD this way...

haha don't worry about it, life is full of tragedies, especially for people who have lived the kind of lives we have, so addicts gotta stick together. We don't need to hate on each other ;) Just an FYI if I ever seem to be unusually rude I do have service connected PTSD and it fucks with my head a lot. Sometimes in between AM and PM doses of medication I get a little aggressive.
You're right we do gotta stay together cuz who else has our back? Lol. And thank you for serving. I don't think enough of our soldiers get enough credit.

Id be pretty certain that its not as hard to OD smoking h as people may think. Ive never used heroin any other way than IV, but im sure if it was cut with fent or the smoker was on enough benzos, G or had other oral opiates coming on still, I really don't think it'd be that hard to do. Especially for people who have bad asthma attacks but I guess in fact that would be death resulting from an asthma attack brought on by the smoke or the H itself rather than an OD.

I do agree that youd have to be pretty careless though. Ive only ever OD'd when shooting silly amounts of heroin while already under the influence of too much Xanax and still continuing to eat more throughout my blackout until someone finds me unconscious. Its terrible and something im very ashamed of but that's how its happened. Ive only OD'd on H alone once and that was after not using for about 10 weeks, knowing my tolerance and using enough to satisfy that then I had some meth one night and thought that would up my heroin tolerance. I was very wrong because I had twice the amount id usually have and thankfully dropped at home where I had help. Usually I had my shot on the way home and if I did that I wouldn't be writing this right now!

Heroin overdose is extremely unpredictable. Saying you cant OD from smoking H is just irresponsible. Even if you cant you still need to be very friggin careful with the stuff!

NARCAN is invaluable to ANYONE who hangs around opiate users. I get vials every time they expire from an NSP(needle exchange/health building) in Sydney and I have had to use them one myself and others). I was even told by the ambulance personnel that if NARCAN is unavailable, put a strip of suboxone on the od'ing persons cheek or gums and hopefully combined with CPR or simulated breathing it could save their life.