Mental Health sleeping medication/ quetiapine

Thanks @Syntax ! First night was great, i woke up in great condition! It was a good day at work even that i still slightly feel withdrawals after all these shits i was taking. First time since looooong time ago i was enjoying my day being sober! Magic!

After a disturbingly long period of insomnia I turned to my dr. for advise. And he prescribed me Quetiapine (Seroquel).

Did some research and it seems that 'the' dr. 's site themselves discourages this off label use. Its use is for schizophrenia and psychosis/ mania, but the side effects make it seem on useful as sleeping med. Which I get because it seems like killing a fly with a sledgehammer.

The leaflet that came along does state it as one. So I called them asking how they came to this conclusion. They should report back to me as she didn't have an answer. Hoping they will acknowledge what I already know and quit pushing this as a first line treatment. And get it of the leaflet. As this might be the reason it was prescribed to me instead of something more benign.

But how are your opinion's on this? For me Flubromazopam is already heavy, like a 2/ 3 mg dose is to much. And although unnoticeable to others it lingers.

Quetiapine looks like its even worse, and it doesn't even act on GABA-a. But an whole range of receptors and systems. What should one expect to feel, it seems like something to take when you are entering the psychosis zone.
Don't take it darling. It is pure evil. It is a horrific drug that ultimately destroys you but before that we can look at the before moments of the life of a Seroquel user. Say you are asleep. You are susceptible awoken by a horrible feeling in your legs. They won't stop moving and jerking around like a puppet master showing his own show to strangers. So you get up. First time, interrupted sleep. Remember that. We will be coming back to it again and again and again etc do you get the drift here? I am repeating myself Intentionally. Anyway it's not a good drug to take so I suspect you get off it now. But of course the decision is up to you. Or your doctor too. Always speak with the doctor before doing anything different. Cheers babe 😘

Yes, some doctors prescribe Seroquel as an off label treatment of insomnia. I took Seroquel for a short time after having some panic attacks and was on the verge of psychosis. It did indeed make me tired but the tiredness lingered during waking hours. I was fatigued all the time and couldn't concentrate on my college classes so I asked my doctor to take me off of it. Like you said, killing a fly with a sledgehammer.

Not trying to scare you but I read a medical journal article several years ago that provided evidence that off label use of Seroquel for insomnia could cause symptoms of Parkinson's Disease in a small percentage of patients. I'm NOT saying your dr is trying to give you Parkinson's. I tried googling just now and couldn't find the article. All I found were articles describing the use of Seroquel for Parkinson's patients experiencing psychosis, which weren't helpful.

As always, and as one poster already stated, please keep open communication with your prescribing doctor. If you don't feel comfortable taking a certain medication, you have every right to take it up with your doctor and ask for an alternative.
All good and true. I have read similar iarticles about this hideous drug. Wasn't it going to be taken off the market? Some time ago? Dear lord let's hope so for everyone else's sake! RIP evil shit drug called Seroquel+(

Yeah Quetiapine seems like too much for "just" insomnia, but then again, maybe your doctor has diagnosed you with some form of mania which is the source for causing your insomnia?

other than that, Nozinan (Methotrimeprazine) is quite effective sedative treatment, it would knock you out almost instantly, but waking up is gonna be a bit hard (this is what my doctor prescribes for insomnia IF the other alternative doesn't work)
the alternative treatment for insomnia would be Amitryptiline, quite effective, not as harmful as any other substance used for mental illness I've documented, and its kind of the defacto sleep/pain/anxiety/stress/depression treatment doctors go for here.

don't take my word for everything, I'm not a medical professional, just stating my personal experience and what I've researched so far.
do NOT stop any medication you are currently taking suddenly, first and foremost consult your therapist and go from there.

and finally, never give up! keep seeking help until you find the therapy that suits you most and stick to it religiously.
Well the vicious circle I was in is broken. That involved, among some other adjustments, no more stress then I can tolerate and no Alcohol. Slowly my sleeping architecture returned to baseline. And the nightmare's were replaced by sweet dreams.

So all ends well just have to maintain that routine.

Btw Quetiapine at 25 mg didn't make me sleepy for a bit, it just seemed to have no effect on me whatsoever. Never took em again after that one dose.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but I would avoid anti-psychotics at all cost, unless you ABSOLUTELY need them. They are really heavy medications meant to be used for serious psychotic disorders and they have a wide range of horrible side-effects.

Thought I'd add: Quetiapine is actually LESS sedating the MORE you take.
You didn't mention what dosage the pills are, but 50mg is more than enough for sleep (and I'd start by taking 25mg).
Once you get past 100mg it starts becoming less effective for sleep and I'd say somewhere between 200-300mg it loses all effectiveness for sleep. And it higher doses it can even make insomnia worse.

Thought I'd add: Quetiapine is actually LESS sedating the MORE you take.
You didn't mention what dosage the pills are, but 50mg is more than enough for sleep (and I'd start by taking 25mg).
Once you get past 100mg it starts becoming less effective for sleep and I'd say somewhere between 200-300mg it loses all effectiveness for sleep. And it higher doses it can even make insomnia worse.
If the sedative effects are caused solely by the anti-Histamine effects wouldn't Mirtazepine be a much safer and option with less side effects. Mirtazepine btw didn't work on me either, in the past it was useful as sleeping aid but when I had real sleeping problems anti-Hitaminergic's don't do a thing for me. Same goes for Melatonine but also Midazolam. The last one is one of the heavier benzo's but very short acting. But failed to get me to sleep at the prescribed dosage.

The fact that the dr. was so generous he gave me a whole 10 tablet's gave little room for experimenting. While I had been having sleeping problems for 3 years.