Mental Health sleeping medication/ quetiapine

emkee_reinvented

Bluelighter
After a disturbingly long period of insomnia I turned to my dr. for advise. And he prescribed me Quetiapine (Seroquel).

Did some research and it seems that 'the' dr. 's site themselves discourages this off label use. Its use is for schizophrenia and psychosis/ mania, but the side effects make it seem on useful as sleeping med. Which I get because it seems like killing a fly with a sledgehammer.

The leaflet that came along does state it as one. So I called them asking how they came to this conclusion. They should report back to me as she didn't have an answer. Hoping they will acknowledge what I already know and quit pushing this as a first line treatment. And get it of the leaflet. As this might be the reason it was prescribed to me instead of something more benign.

But how are your opinion's on this? For me Flubromazopam is already heavy, like a 2/ 3 mg dose is to much. And although unnoticeable to others it lingers.

Quetiapine looks like its even worse, and it doesn't even act on GABA-a. But an whole range of receptors and systems. What should one expect to feel, it seems like something to take when you are entering the psychosis zone.

Yeah Quetiapine seems like too much for "just" insomnia, but then again, maybe your doctor has diagnosed you with some form of mania which is the source for causing your insomnia?

other than that, Nozinan (Methotrimeprazine) is quite effective sedative treatment, it would knock you out almost instantly, but waking up is gonna be a bit hard (this is what my doctor prescribes for insomnia IF the other alternative doesn't work)
the alternative treatment for insomnia would be Amitryptiline, quite effective, not as harmful as any other substance used for mental illness I've documented, and its kind of the defacto sleep/pain/anxiety/stress/depression treatment doctors go for here.

don't take my word for everything, I'm not a medical professional, just stating my personal experience and what I've researched so far.
do NOT stop any medication you are currently taking suddenly, first and foremost consult your therapist and go from there.

and finally, never give up! keep seeking help until you find the therapy that suits you most and stick to it religiously.

Did some research and it seems that 'the' dr. 's site themselves discourages this off label use.
it's because there is no evidence it actually improves sleep quality, contrasted with it being a neuroleptic and the side effects associated with such drugs

I was also recently scripted seroquel for sleep mainly, I asked for it (knowing they certainly would not give me any benzos, hydroxyzine or z-drugs)

it's kinda hit or miss for sleep... sometimes it works, makes me tired and I seem to sleep decent

other times it can actually give me RLS (due to its anticholinergic effects) and paradoxically keep we awake

After a disturbingly long period of insomnia I turned to my dr. for advise. And he prescribed me Quetiapine (Seroquel).

Did some research and it seems that 'the' dr. 's site themselves discourages this off label use. Its use is for schizophrenia and psychosis/ mania, but the side effects make it seem on useful as sleeping med. Which I get because it seems like killing a fly with a sledgehammer.

The leaflet that came along does state it as one. So I called them asking how they came to this conclusion. They should report back to me as she didn't have an answer. Hoping they will acknowledge what I already know and quit pushing this as a first line treatment. And get it of the leaflet. As this might be the reason it was prescribed to me instead of something more benign.

But how are your opinion's on this? For me Flubromazopam is already heavy, like a 2/ 3 mg dose is to much. And although unnoticeable to others it lingers.

Quetiapine looks like its even worse, and it doesn't even act on GABA-a. But an whole range of receptors and systems. What should one expect to feel, it seems like something to take when you are entering the psychosis zone.
Yes, some doctors prescribe Seroquel as an off label treatment of insomnia. I took Seroquel for a short time after having some panic attacks and was on the verge of psychosis. It did indeed make me tired but the tiredness lingered during waking hours. I was fatigued all the time and couldn't concentrate on my college classes so I asked my doctor to take me off of it. Like you said, killing a fly with a sledgehammer.

Not trying to scare you but I read a medical journal article several years ago that provided evidence that off label use of Seroquel for insomnia could cause symptoms of Parkinson's Disease in a small percentage of patients. I'm NOT saying your dr is trying to give you Parkinson's. I tried googling just now and couldn't find the article. All I found were articles describing the use of Seroquel for Parkinson's patients experiencing psychosis, which weren't helpful.

As always, and as one poster already stated, please keep open communication with your prescribing doctor. If you don't feel comfortable taking a certain medication, you have every right to take it up with your doctor and ask for an alternative.

The foundation that made the leaflet responded.

According to them there is an dosage known for insomnia, but the dr guidelines specifically label its use as sleeping med as having unproven efficiency and side effect that are overshadowing the wanted effect. The reason it is use is discouraged.

They are taking it of their instruction manual after my inquiry. So my first great succes in a long while, a blow for the victory of insomniac's. I get the dr.'s don't wanna prescribe Temazepam. But Zolpidem doesn't have the same stigma surrounding it, or so I thought.

Self medicating all the way.

I was prescribed seroquel for insomnia for a few months, about 10 years ago. It was only 25mg, very lose dose. It was quite effective and I can't recall any negative side effects from it.

I was prescribed seroquel for insomnia for a few months, about 10 years ago. It was only 25mg, very lose dose. It was quite effective and I can't recall any negative side effects from it.
How effective?

The drugstore owner told me sedation can last up to 36 hour's, its not uncommon. So duration wise its like Diazepam, which is a terrible medication to use for sleep imo. But at least is working solely on GABA-a. This drug affect's so much that even dr's think its not a good drug for insomnia. As the side effect's both mental and physical are disproportional for the course. The don't support the off label use as sleeping medication.

In terms of sleep med's go how would you place it? Dyphenhydramine/ Hydroxizine/ Doxylamine like or more akin to Promethazine. The other drug he was willing to prescribe.
Or is it comparable with GABA-ergic's like Lorazepam/ Etizolam/ Alprazolam?

I really cannot recommend not taking this for insomnia strongly enough. It is not designed for that use.

My psychiatrist even refuses to prescribe the extended release version as it has a massive side effect profile and a propensity to cause severe night time eating and subsequent weight gain and diabetes.

The immediate release also does this. She will only prescribe that to patients like myself short term who have confirmed psychosis with mania and need a rapid abortive medication for a manic episode, because 3-5x Seroquel IR per day will knock my mania on its ass after 5-7 days. It still won't make me sleep, yet, but it will slowly return me to something approaching baseline. And it is incredible at that and amazing for that therapeutic use.

But it's being touted as a new 'non addictive' drug for sleep issues and insomnia and I know so many people who are genuinely dependent on it now to sleep after their GP gave it to them not understanding the risk profile.

Additionally, elderly patients who have been prescribed Seroquel have I think a heightened risk of dementia.

Anecdotal experience:

When I was first diagnosed with bipolar, I was put on the XR version as my first choice mood stabiliser as I had previously been prescribed the IR for sleep issues. A worse mistake could never have been made. I got dosed up to 900mg (at the featherivht weight of 60-65kg) and turned into a fucking zombie. I couldn't get out of bed for two weeks. Finally I managed to stumble my way to see my GP and I said 'get me off this, I haven't felt this fucked up and suicidal since I first had mental health problems as a teenager, this drug is atrocious.'

So yeah, we don't go near that again.

Also, the pharmaceutical company who produced Seroquel has faced legal action for advertising it as a sleep medication when it is a hardcore antipsychotic. Antipsychotic meds should really not be given out like candy for people who have insomnia. Grab some high dose melatonin before y'all do some serious damage. Tardive Dyskinesia, neuropathy, dependence, abuse, worsening of sleep problems due to not actually treating them.

It's actually been banned from general prescription in my country I think, They recently adjusted the rules so you need to have a diagnosed psychotic disorder to have it approved by the pharmaceutical benefits scheme and to be honest I agree with that.

There's even a damn black market for it amongst meth users who use it to kill their high after a binge and come down more gently since it totally counters it.

Really, not a drug you want to mess around with.

Last edited:
I hate this drug

I've got like 75lbs to lose because of it, almost as bad as Olanzapine was

I'm now smoking hash to help me sleep

I may smoke meth too so I can get this weight off

I hate this drug

I've got like 75lbs to lose because of it, almost as bad as Olanzapine was

I'm now smoking hash to help me sleep

I may smoke meth too so I can get this weight off

Did the night time munchies get you? They get everyone with Seroquel.

Did the night time munchies get you? They get everyone with Seroquel.
Yeah always within an hour of taking it. I feel like every gram of carbohydrate was sent to fat stores.

Yeah always within an hour of taking it. I feel like every gram of carbohydrate was sent to fat stores.

I would honestly wake up eating shit in bed, it was ridiculous. Or in front of the fridge. I don't know if I put on weight - I even managed to somehow lose weight on Mirtazapine which is a medication given to promote appetite in anorexic patients, and I've never had weight issues from anything else so I think I escaped. But I definitely was eating shit. A fuck load of hummus more often than not.

You should really consider melatonin for insomnia
if that doesn't work try amitryptiline
if that doesn't work, Nozinan is the defacto medication for insomnia for mental health patients (at least this is the case for where I live)

Just don't abuse substances instead of seeking real professional medical help.
and don't do meth for weight loss, that's like using rat poison to paint the wall a new color

You should really consider melatonin for insomnia
if that doesn't work try amitryptiline
if that doesn't work, Nozinan is the defacto medication for insomnia for mental health patients (at least this is the case for where I live)

Just don't abuse substances instead of seeking real professional medical help.
and don't do meth for weight loss, that's like using rat poison to paint the wall a new color
Melatonine gives me vivid dreams, something that is already bothering me so its not an option. Just like Mirtazepine and Levetiracetam had an negative effect on my sleep, especially dream sleep.

What the big mystery is why would a dr. prescribe a nuclear bomb, Quetiapine, while other anti-Histamine's like Diphenhydramine and Hydroxyzine seem at least a bit less heavy on the side effect's.

When I requested for a anti-psychotic in case I might have another Ictal-psychosis it was denied. Now the same med is prescribed for insomnia without trying out the first line treatment.

Btw Nozinan or Levopromazine is like quetiapine and promethazine an anti-psychotic. Its use as sleep med is off label. And if 3 kg. is gained I am fine with it. I can use some extra weight.

Last edited:
Seroquel has very mild antipsychotic effects at lower doses, perhaps clinically irrelevant. It's indicated for bipolar depression, I believe, unlike other AP's, of which I know.

I've been given Seroquel and Zyprexa by GPs for anxiety and insomnia. It does work like a sledgehammer.. Which can be a relief when you're almost psychotically anxious. But the mistake I've made is staying on it. That's when the trouble starts (say six weeks of daily use).

In 2018 I did that and my muscles started doing strange things. I was doing meth pretty seriously at the time, which would've added to it (if not the drug itself, the sleep dep and bad nutrition) but I ended up in Emergency because I couldn't move! My muscles just stopped working. I *knew* it was related to the Zyprexa because the muscle thing has happened before to a lesser extent.

I told the hospital staff this, but I'm diabetic, and once diagnosed with that *everything* is caused by it 🙄 I did ask the diabetes educator "how exactly has high blood sugar done this?" (considering I'd had high blood sugar many many times before). She couldn't tell me and I knew it was the Zyprexa.

I ended up having a giant anxiety attack because of the Emergency environment, including a woman screaming somewhere for about an hour. I asked the doctor for some Valium. Well the usual "benzos are bad" saga ensued, but he offered me an alternative - Zyprexa lol. I passed on that and waited two hours for 10mg Valium instead. Then I got the hell out of there.

I took Quetiapine for awhile, i would get it from my parents and nibble off a bit every night. it was totally and completely impossible to wake up even when i had slept for an ungodly amount of time. That shit fucked me up, I do not recommend but i have to say it was one of the only things that got me through my last year of high school. :woah::thumbs down::dead:

I have a bit different type of question. Because i'm coming from a long way from opio/benzo/pregabalin addiction but worst is after me. I need something to use at least 2-3 times a week to get a good sleep to be productive at my job and lack of pregabalin is causing a trouble. I've got from friend 3 strips of quetiapine 300mg (he got it from hospital but don't need it). I know it can be used to get a nice sleep but i doubt 300mg in single dose is a good idea hehe. My question is: is it possible to dissolve tablet in certain amount of water/other and by using syringe to measure take desired doses? Or it will be various combination of quetiapine and rest of the fillers? Is maybe any other way to tapered? Snaping on half i think still will be too much for me, im not even sure if quetiapine will be splitted on half cause it's one film-coated tablet. If there's no safe way to do it unfortunetly i will have to bin it ;(