Skrillex? What do you guys think?

His concerts are shit all he does is play cds from his macbook. He like goes up to fans and like high fives well the music is playing. At a rock concert if some one put down their guitar and started to high five the fans but the guitar music kept playing every one would demand a ticket refund. Skrillex fans arnt very smart lol. Ive been 2 one of his concerts and made a few hundred $ in a night selling bunk E pills I paid like <snip> each for them and sold them for <snip> each.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have always been a harrdc0r3 elektr0n1k musik fan. i am currently listening to his essential mix. i have seen him live and i was aware of him when he was in a sk-emo band. hes not bad its powerful music and he makes a damn good bass hook. like real good. but to be clear he is in some ways drawing too much attention to what has until recently been an underground scene. horrible showman, repetitive and unoriginal unless on drugs. hes not rusko, nevverrrr willl be... ever..

if i have one more fucking 'bro' or square mof0 ask me if i like skrillex or if i went to his concert im gonna fucking flip out. goddam it....

His concerts are shit all he does is play cds from his macbook. He like goes up to fans and like high fives well the music is playing. At a rock concert if some one put down their guitar and started to high five the fans but the guitar music kept playing every one would demand a ticket refund. Skrillex fans arnt very smart lol. Ive been 2 one of his concerts and made a few hundred $ in a night selling bunk E pills I paid like <snip> each for them and sold them for <snip> each.

No pricing discussion allowed!

And you're so cool for ripping people off with bunk E. Respect!

^ Seriously... what an asshole. People like you ruin the dance music scene for the rest of us.

I saw Skrillex play the MID and added a review of it. It was awesome. It was also a tag team with 12th planet though. I was going to sell my tickets to the next show (skrillex cell at congress), but figured I would give it a try. It was pretty boring. He played all of his songs that I dislike, but the lights were pretty cool. I ended up leaving a bit early though.

I don't care if he hangs out with Skream/Benga or whoever, it's just pure nonsense to ruin a hardcore genre with gay synths, chopped chipmunk vocals and cheesy poppy shit just so you can make a shitload of money and be an icon to a fanbase that consists of 13 year old wannabe dubheads and doesn't know shit about music.:X

Nothing in the dubstep genre has ever made sense ever since the record labels crashed n burned like the mortgage crisis.
These days I'm seeing a bunch of no-name dubstep DJ's headlining over the legendary electronic music DJ's that have paved the way of the rave scene.

Nothing in the dubstep genre has ever made sense ever since the record labels crashed n burned like the mortgage crisis.
These days I'm seeing a bunch of no-name dubstep DJ's headlining over the legendary electronic music DJ's that have paved the way of the rave scene.

That happens a lot in electronic music. The pioneers push the boundaries and then some random dude comes along, makes a nice, accessible packaged product and everyone (read: casual EDM fans, the ones that don't know what EDM stands for) things they created the genre/style.

Why is everyone hating on Skrillex? If its not your type of music it ain't your type of music, but that doesn't mean his production is complete shit and that he has put little effort into his work just because you dont like it. How about this to all the bitches who be bitchin', back your shit up with some logic!! If you wanna hate on his music say give an example! is it shitty drops? is he just duplicating other peoples sound? does his music sound like he uses presets on ableton and doesnt bother tweaking his own sound? For fucks sake the guy is to electronic music like what progressive metal is to metal. The music doesnt follow typical rhythms or time intervals. He doesn't even like calling his music dubstep (should be changed to brostep) or electro. Its just his production. Go try and find another producer who has his sound! you can't! instead you now have people who have already been in the scene copying and remixing what this 22 year old has created. As for people saying he is shit live; maybe he did but I wouldnt know for sure since I wasnt there, but I did attend edc 2011 and he fuckin killed it. He remixed all his songs like he does for most of his shows just for that particular event and had a trippy 30 min tribal/jungle/groovy session but not before he grabs the mic and yells "my name is skrillex and I make all kinds of music!".
Even if you dont like his music at least respect what he's doing... nay... what he did ;]
I can't wait for this kid to mature into this field of work and see what he'll create next XD

clearly he has a lot of haters here. regardless of how much you hate him though, he definitely deserves to win his grammy nomination for first of the year. sickest video ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cXDgFwE13g&ob=av3e

Sickest video? That video sucks to be honest with you. It's so stupid!

It's a good song, but horrible video.

His songs are great, he knows how to produce a good sounding song. The thing I don't like about him, is his following. He is bringing this whole new idea of what dubstep is, when really he is not dubstep at all. Unfortunately, people don't realize this and call anything with filthy wobbles a dubstep song. I hate that shit! I hate this new filthy form of dubstep.

I only got into dubstep a year ago, I was not around when it was still underground, but I always go back and listen to the originators of a genre and the originals are far superior! Skream and Benga are easily my favorite dubstep artists, period. All this brostep pisses me off honestly, it's just horrible.

Oh, and I laugh at people who pay to see Skrillex live. "Press Play, turn a few knobs - Cha-Ching! Money made", really? Learn to actually mix you're songs with two CDJ's, then I'll consider paying to see you live.

Why does everybody think hes so original? It's hard electro man, with some neat samples in it.

Is the nomination for the video or for the song? If for the video, shouldn't the director win an award? If for the song, shouldn't the academy get some hearing aides?

skrillex is the justin bieber of the electronic music scene

i cant be the first person to think of this analogy

Skrillex: Good at music theory, good at sampling, good at collaberations.
Bad at DJ'ing, bad at being like-able, bad choice in music he remixes and shit hair.

Well... I suppose it's time I weigh in on this contentious matter.

I think he's great. I know, I know, that's fuckin' sacrilege to anyone that knows me or what I listen to. I think that he's a really talented kid (23 years old) and I wish him all the luck in the world. No, I don't listen to his music, but I've heard it and the production is tight. Just because it isn't my personal taste in electronic music doesn't mean he isn't talented. I've read some interviews with him and I'm surprised that he never describes his sound as dubstep, but merely that he "tends to produce within a certain tempo range that [he] find drives people crazy".

The fact that he elicits such venomous reaction really speaks to how talented and influential he has become. If we take a step back from spitting on the kids rolling their faces off at his shows wearing pokemon candy cuffs, neon shirts and native american headdresses, we need to realize that a lot, if not most of these kids wouldn't be diving into electronic music without the pied pipers that are Skrillex and Deadmau5. While it's true that a lot of these kids are there just to get fucked up and party, some of them will experience some of the most profound nights of their lives and will be forever affected by electronic music. I know I was.

Let's face it, jaded ravers have a bitterness unlike any others. We need to realize that whether we like it or not, this batch of newly minted ravers is here to stay, and frankly it's a good thing for the scene as they grow up and delve into other genres of electronic music. Some might gravitate over to deep house, or minimal, or dnb, whatever. I know that even though I don't listen to Skrillex, he is exposing people to electronic music in an easy-to-digest shiny, blinky package. I'd take the fans that Skrillex generates any day over the douchebag EDM fans that the Swedish House Mafia prints out.

So yeah. I don't really care for his music in terms of listening to it on any sort of regular basis, but Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites is a pretty fucking novel track with an interesting sound. We old timers just need to step the fuck back and let nature take its course. Change is inevitable. Just keep listening to whatever you like, and before you know it, these kids will become your peers. I know it happened to me. Guys who are now my really good friends were the ones behind the decks when I was 17 and starry-eyed in a warehouse, having some of the most life-changing significant nights of my life.

I know I would have been apeshit for Skrillex when I was 17, so I'm content to step back and wish him well.

:D

I think it's odd how people get into raves through Skrillex and Deadmau5...I found out about Raves and electronic music by going to these underground parties with a few friends, that's how I found out about EDM. Later on I found out about Skrillex and Deadmau5. I enjoy Deadmau5 a lot more than I do Skrillex.

Why does everybody think hes so original? It's hard electro man, with some neat samples in it.

Apparently you have no idea what Electro sounds like.
Daft Punk = Hard Electro
Skrillex = Dubstep

The two musical styles sound nothing alike.

daft punk is in no way hard electro. its french house. skrillex does hard electro and dubstep...which is which depends on the song

daft punk is in no way hard electro. its french house. skrillex does hard electro and dubstep...which is which depends on the song

Holy Hell someone needs to edumacate these fools on bluelight.
Daft Punk is NOT I repeat NOT french house.

If you want to hear what French House sounds like, then listen to
  • Dimitri from Paris
  • DJ Cam
  • Cassius

If you want to hear what Electro House sounds like then listen to
  • Benny Benassi
  • Daft Punk
  • Felix the Housecat
  • Miss Kitten

And once again if you want to hear what Dubstep sounds like, then listen to
  • Skrillex