• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Shroomed with GF on new year, she didn't trip. Anti psych questions.

Ghost_of_EWO

Bluelighter
Think my gf is on some sort of antipsychotics.
We ate shrooms on New Years and she didn't trip.
What types of anti-psyches will completely inhibit an eighth of mushrooms? I'll see if I can get the name of the stuff she is taking to see if it was the problem or something else happened. needless to say I ended up trippin' balls all night and she was upset because I didn't realize the stuff she takes would have the effect of completely eliminating any trip she may have had until we had already ate the shrooms and it was too late.

She's also kinda bummed she can't trip on shrooms but is convinced the pills she takes are "saving her life" so she would never put them down for a couple weeks to try shrooms :(
I think she takes the pills for depression, and I've been trying to tell her shrooms are good for depression.

This brings up another question..
If you were trippin too hard on shrooms, can you take some of the anti-psyches she is taking and kill the trip within the hour? Or do they need to be built up in your system for weeks to work that way?

I've killed a trip before with a bunch of saphris. Every anti-psychotic will diminish a trip. The higher the dose the more it diminishes it. I've ditched my abilify for naltrexone. It has anti-psychotic effects on me and doesn't kill my trips. Just smooths them out a little bit. I wouldn't try to force her to stop her AP's to take shrooms...respect her opinion to stay on her pills and be thankful you have a girlfriend who is willing to let you trip. If I tell a girl I trip acid and shrooms and DMT they will never talk to me ever again...that's how it is in my area. Well I'm searching for a girl who trips. Because I sure as hell aint giving up tripping for a girl lol. Lucy, mary, molly are the only girlfriends I need to make me happy. That's just how it goes where I'm from.

Agreed, I don't want to force her to do anything :) that's how you lose women! Hehe

I had brought up the idea if she stopped the pills for a couple weeks the shrooms might work. It was quickly shot down.

I wonder how she can defend doctors pills so adamantly, I suppose. I'm totally against the stuff doctors give us. But that's just me.

Lucy, shrooms and MXE and the likes are not to be ignored for their experiences and are greatly rewarding. I kinda feel with McKenna here.. leaving earth without trying psychedelics would be like leaving earth without having sex. Some of the most amazing things that ever happened to me happened on those substances.

I'll see if I can find out what she is taking.
Whatever it is, it removes her emotions. She's like a stone wall sometimes. Can be very mean and uncaring.

Agreed, I don't want to force her to do anything :) that's how you lose women! Hehe

I had brought up the idea if she stopped the pills for a couple weeks the shrooms might work. It was quickly shot down.

I wonder how she can defend doctors pills so adamantly, I suppose. I'm totally against the stuff doctors give us. But that's just me.

Lucy, shrooms and MXE and the likes are not to be ignored for their experiences are greatly rewarding. I kinda feel with McKenna here.. leaving earth without trying psychedelics would be like leaving earth without having sex. Some of the most amazing things that ever happened to me happened on those substances.
I agree. My sisters boyfriend asked my dad for my sisters hand in marriage today. I like the guy but he's very egotistical at times and drinks a lot but is so anti-drug. He thinks drugs are the devil and alcohol is the savior. I told this story about this guy from my therapy group and he said "what drugs was he on???" and I said "He was drinking" and he got all pissed off at that notion. And today I said we should grow shrooms and my whole family got pissed at me even though I was joking (kind of lol).....but none of my family trips and it's infuriating. I have to hide it from everyone but my friends. And it sucks. Psychedelics are the savior. If I were anointed Jesus my number one message to save the world would be two words "Trip...balls" :)

Yeah it would be cool if she was open to try mocrodosing shrooms instead of the doctors crap, but you're right I don't want to incite some crazy shit to happen. It would sure do her some wonders for her ego as well. But again, you can't convince the convinced of otherwise.

She also does love her vodka and would never let anything get in the way of that. Sure makes her a mean-ass when she is drunk! People who drink a lot typically are offensive and not very fun to hang around. Unfortunately I fell in love with her while she hid her alcohol abuse problems. So that's another thing to work towards. But I know from my own experiences you aren't going to stop doing something unless you want to, so she'll have to see the alcohol thing on her own. I suppose she doesn't even care and likes to drink to help drunk her problems under the table, like with the pills she takes.

Anything to hide her emotions...
:(

Ok so it looks like she is on risparadol.
A mood stabilizer.
Does this have effects on shroomies?

Ok so it looks like she is on risparadol.
A mood stabilizer.
Does this have effects on shroomies?

Risperidone ("Risperdal" being the common brand name) is an antipsychotic that blocks a number of serotonin and dopamine receptors, and thus effectively suppresses the effects of serotonergic psychedelics (shrooms, LSD, mescaline, etc.).

If she credits the drug with saving her life, having her discontinue it would be a really, really bad idea. Given Risperdal's long half-life (approx. 24 hours), it would take atleast several days for enough of the drug to be eliminated from her system to allow her to fully trip, during which (and probably for some time afterwards) she would be suffering rebound effects that would make it even more unsafe for her to trip.

I mean, let me put it this way: She told you that a serotonin antagonist saved her life, and you're suggesting she should try a serotonin agonist. That's like telling a person on BP medication to take Ephedrine instead.
You might think she would benefit from Psylocybin, but just because a drug works for one person does not necessarily mean it works for everyone else. Cannabis is a perfectly safe substance for most, but people prone to psychosis could get extremely paranoid from them; SSRI's are lifesavers for some and totally ineffective for others, some experience severe anhedonia while yet others are catapulted into a manic episode; even among serotonergic psychedelics, there are huge interpersonal differences (Ann Shulgin, for example, was no fan of DMT, while greatly enjoying 2C-B-FLY, a substance many psychonauts seem to consider underwhelming).

^please read this post.

So you do not know on what kind of meds she is specifically, yet you are against 'stuff that doctors give us', even though she says it saved her life? Shrooms might work against depression, this has been shown in some studies, yes, but under totally different circumstances (accompanied by professionals, therapeutic setting, etc.), which you will probably not be able to duplicate. There can be a big chance her symptoms might worsen because of psychedelic drug use.

I'm sorry, but that's completely ignorant. Please don't try and get your girlfriend do anything reckless just because you think (non-prescription) drugs are the solution to everything.

I understand your concerns for her (lack of) emotions, but please don't experiment too much with powerful drugs like psychedelics. It would be much better to convince her to try and talk with her doctor to perhaps try a different anti-depressant or therapy for example.

Last edited:
I think you guys took this a bit far.
It's just something we have talked about. Nobody is forcing or asking anyone to do anything they don't want to do. This is another example of the Internet blowing things way too far out of proportion...
But, ok!

I think I know a bit better by now than to try and force somebody off their meds.

I haven't said a thing about it to her since New Years. Two months ago..
..and she is in therapy.

I tend to also not believe in "drugs saving my life". I willing to bet she would still be alive if tomorrow shit hit the fan and she couldn't get her pills anymore for some reason.

Tired of everyone needing an excuse to shove tons of pills down their throat. Everyone in my life is on doctors pills besides me.
I simply don't see a need to beg for drugs from my doctor and I have kidney disease. Nobody I know even has a real physical disease and yet I'm the only one with one and not taking ANY pills for it.
Give me a break.

100 years ago without Meds like these, I doubt nobody knew the difference. Depression was cured by chinning up and walking it off.

I heard somebody the other day saying they need an Ativan to calm down because they wanted to kill them self because they lost an earring.

Come on people.
Have some more drugs! As many as you can cram down your throats for no reason. As long as you believe the doctors orders. The side effects won't matter.

I don't think anything is being blown out of proportion. The point is not that anyone is forcing anyone or that this would be done casually, whatever the mentality it doesn't change anything about someone on antipsychotics tripping to be a bad idea.

Don't downplay the possible importance of anti-psychotics. Some people take quetiapine just to sleep, but those people wouldn't say the drug is saving their lives. If anti-psychotics are taken to manage things like schizophrenia, paranoid delusions or any such instability or volatility then yes such a drug can make the difference of being functional and sane or losing the plot to some devastating episode.

It's pretty irresponsible to mess with that sort of psychiatric treatment to trip, if you care for her you respect that those pills are important for her sanity to her own admission. It doesn't matter either that some other psychiatric medications are overprescribed or that dependency on them may sometimes be worse than the disease when well-considered. With anti-psychotics that are not taken off-label that is not the way to look at it or treat it. If you're so careless with your mind or body then make those kind of decisions for yourself but don't even influence someone else when it comes to that kind of thing.

If you only discussed it for a little bit, 'harmlessly', then you should more easily see the concern here and not defend it by pulling into question psychiatric treatment. Suggesting that she stop taking it for several weeks is not harmless though.

The other posters were perfectly right that it is ignorant to brush over this. Anti-psychotics like risperdal don't work with psychedelics and they indicate problems that make psychedelics a bad idea.

You say you don't want to incite some 'crazy shit', well then don't and leave it at that.

That some people go overboard with attention-whoring is not a proper argument that no psychiatric patient ever really needs their medications. Nor are the differences with 100 years ago. Many disorders were just not known and you would just get ridiculed and outcast if you would insist that something is wrong with you. In some ways the world was harder then than it is now (regarding duty, individuality and anomalies), but in other ways it is difficult now and much less clear what a person is supposed to do. It's pretty insensitive to downplay psychiatric disorders in general like you are doing and you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited:
100 years ago without Meds like these, I doubt nobody knew the difference. Depression was cured by chinning up and walking it off.
If you can just chin up and walk it off it's no depression. But I get the reason behind your confusion about what depression actually is. Most people feeling down these days say they are depressed. But the actual clinical depression is not something you can just walk off.
[snip]

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you fucking serious?

It is attitudes like yours which are the reason that there is such a stigma around mental health, and why so many people, even today, choose to suffer in silence rather than seek help. 100 years ago humankind was pretty fucking ignorant as far as our understanding of our own psychology goes, and depression and other mental illnesses were also "cured" by suicide, or conveniently placed out of the sight and minds of those lucky enough not to suffer them, in insane asylums or just self-imposed isolation to avoid the judgement and ridicule of the mentally "well".

Also...
I think she takes the pills for depression, and I've been trying to tell her shrooms are good for depression.
This is just equally, embarassingly ignorant. You have already been fairly thoroughly told this, but it doesn't seem to have quite sunk in yet. Firstly, the idea that "shrooms are good for depression" is not only a vague enough statement to be almost meaningless, but not even accurate taken in the most literal sense. Yes, psilocybin has been shown to have potential benefits for some forms of depression and mental illness when taken in controlled doses in a controlled environment. No, tripping on shrooms cannot reliably be said to be a good idea for anyone who is depressed, especially those who are already otherwise medicated.

Please try to educate yourself about both mental illness and psychedelic drugs in general because at the moment your attitude towards both of them could quite possibly get someone hurt... yourself included.

So basically what you guys are saying is you can't answer my initial question, all you can do is come down on somebody which pushes them away from your education?
I asked a question. Does that drug stop you from tripping on shrooms? And you guys totally misread the whole post

My opinion on psychiatry has basically nothing to do with this. This is all speculation and nobody tried to make anyone stop their prescriptions. I said it might work if she stopped. That was the extent of it. I didn't say stop your drugs so you can trip. Whatsoever. You guys are way overdoing this.

She actually wants to try the shrooms. She's wondering also. But ok take me to town for it. Insult my intelligence for trying to help her figure this out.
That helps everyone.

We obviously have a bunch of educated psychiatrists in here to prescribe my gf what she needs. I'll listen to you all right away. From the Internet...

This is ridiculous. I come here for help and get shit.
Being a dick never helped anyone. Sure doesn't make me want to hang around here either. It's pushing people away from here. Which means they aren't going to learn anything.

Last edited:
It was very well answered already but to be more precise: it is the 5-HT2A antagonist anti-psychotics primarily that block trips, but that is most of them.
Your ideas of seeing if there is anything to be done to allow her to trip that needed correcting. Frankly it's your attitude and subsequent dismissal of psychiatric conditions or their treatment that warranted some more insisting, what you call 'coming down on you'.

An attitude of seeing what might be problematic about it vs. one of jumping on the defense on basically any of it that is not agreeing or stern @ some of the ignorance about psychiatric conditions earlier that makes all the difference of calmly having a discussion or resorting to just arguments about nothing.

So if you want to continue the thread, let's stick to the content / the topic, like you say.

Fine then quit putting me down for trying to gain education on the subject from people who aren't rude. I obviously came for education. You guys don't have to be rude about it just because I don't agree with it.

If my intention isn't obvious let me know. I'll go and leave you alone. I was trying to help somebody figure this out.

It's ok to tell me to go die from my kidneys because I don't agree with psychiatry. But it's not ok for me to not appreciate that.
What the hell.

That's definitely not helping anyone.
I came to the wrong place.

Don't worry, I'm sure I will die from renal failure. Hang in there!

Last edited:
Think my gf is on some sort of antipsychotics.
We ate shrooms on New Years and she didn't trip.

She's also kinda bummed she can't trip on shrooms but is convinced the pills she takes are "saving her life" so she would never put them down for a couple weeks to try shrooms :(
You don't just 'put your anti-psychotics down for a couple of weeks to try shrooms'. That could have some very serious repercussions. You didn't even know what she was taking or why she was taking it, yet you think mushrooms could be the answer..

Insult my intelligence for trying to help her figure this out.
If she would like help with this - she is more than welcome to post here and ask.

It's not *just* a matter of opinion when someone's mental health may be on the line. You could see how that can irk some people. When you then say those things about mental health, yes people flip out because of the combination of - excuse me - ignorance about them not to be taken to seriously and someone else's well-being on the line.

I happen to be a different person from the one that told you to die from kidney failure, so don't hold that against me. However I don't see how you are a hero for not taking medications for your kidneys. You would have a point to say that *some* psychiatric medications have rather limited effect perhaps contrary to popular belief... but you certainly cannot generalize that to all of them, or to ALL medications. There are flaws in centuries of medical history, but it is not just an optional belief system as you seem to suggest. Again, apply that kind of thinking to yourself but not to the medical care of another person.

As was also already said: mushrooms are unreliable to just give to any other person for depression, you don't just randomly do that, especially not with someone on anti-psychotics. They are more like experimental treatment for appropriate candidates.

I have no idea whether you now agree that it isn't safe for someone on anti-psychotics to trip or not, it's hard to say what about this is educational to you or just considered an attack on you personally.

Let us know what kind of future you want this thread to have, don't respond to any accusations or attacks unless they are purely argumentative.

But you'll let people attack me.
You guys don't make sense.
Attacking people doesn't help them. It puts them away. My girlfriend wouldn't know to come here for this knowledge so I did it for her. She surely wouldn't put up with people tearing her down for trying to learn what's going on either.

Shit I'll go die of CKD now for trying to figure something out for somebody regardless of my opinions on the matter.