• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin should i get on methadone? appreciate input

Something that isn't really being discussed here is the whole fact that people have in fact lived highly productive, meaningful lives taking methadone very long term. If that is what someone finds desirable and makes it work, I personally see it as a success. Again it's all about making it work, same as if one was using it with the idea of getting off after a shorter period (6 months to 3 years).

surely the risk of getting heroin that is adulterated or replaced with fentanyl (or fent analogue or some other potent RC opioid) is another side of this debate worth mentioning? especially in north america at the moment. that shit is really scary.
with MMT you know exactly what - and how much - you are getting.

it's true. methadone maintenance may not be perfect, but it undeniably saves lives

AnythingEverything- I completely get where you're at. I too led a double life. I was an extremely high functioning IV H addict. It was physically and mentally exhausting. My secret and hefty habit was killing me. I prayed for death. My only regret is not starting MMT sooner. We obviously can't take back our mistakes. The only thing you can do is change the path you're on now. From first hand experience (not from the mouth of a friend of a friend's mom's sister's friend's cousin!) MMT is so much better than being on a run. No looking over your shoulder, no chance of the drug task force rolling up on you while paying your weekly bill! If taken as prescribed no overdosing, life stabilizes, you start to feel again, have money for other things! The list goes on and on! And no it's not a replacement. If you do the program the way it's intended to be done you aren't nodding out and lazy and useless. You should just feel normal. It's when people keep trying to get high and aren't ready to commit that gives it a bad name. No matter what dose you end up at your body will adjust and you won't get that same H high. In my opinion those people don't really want to get clean and ultimately change their life or they're just not ready. Anyone who keeps upping the dose and gets to ridiculous amounts is not yet ready for mmt. In my opinion atleast. So if you're ready, just do it. You have nothing to lose by trying it. Make sure you give it a few weeks. You don't stabilize over night and cravings don't just vanish with the first dose. Be honest with your counselor and Dr. And in 3 months from today you will be in a much better place. Life will be worth living again.

It's amazing to me how much misinformation gets spread here on an educational-based harm reduction forum.

Please listen to those with personal experience, such as toothpastedog, anything, and myself.

Bottom line is at the end of the day mmt is all what you make of it. I'll tell you this much, though: it's unquestionably the lesser of two evils. I wouldn't have my life back right now if it weren't for 'done.

it's good to share your ideas and experiences. it's not about it being "someone else's thread" - opinions were sought, and it's good that you've offered your thoughts :)

OP here

so im on the done now, 45mg now on the way up to 60. until yesterday it want doing a damn thing, but now it seems to be having an effect as im not getting "high" when i use, and i can go longer between shots, and i only get sick to a certain degree, defenitly not full blown dopesick at all tho.
im going to see if i can go the full day at work without using today, but a lot of it seems just out of habit, not to mention this whole needle obsession i seem to have now, ugh. but at least now i can stop using without being fulll blown dopesick, maybe get some clean time under my belt which would be very nice.
at least now i have a soft place to land, no more being sick every few days, and no more of my master plans to get clean that never work, only to leave me more discouraged.
i have at least some type of plan, w access and mandatory meetings w councelors and therapists and all that. i feel like i need that and the whole pain in the ass structureof the clinic to keep me on the right road. A lot of people think that getting on methadone is just to avoid withdrawls, for some maybe. but for me staying clean was the hard part, i kicked more times than i can remember, but i always went back, i just didnt know what to do. now hopefully the program can help keep me clean.

That sounds like induction and stabilization to me :) you're doing just fine. How do you find your clinic, staff and other patients? Granted you just started, but first impressions can be telling.

hi tpd,

yup induction and stabilization phase. clinic is kind of a run- down type of place, and most of the patients, even the ones i see w all the takehomes look kinda rough. staff is nice enough, almost all former junkies themselves, and from what type of vibe im getting it seems like if you dont want to get clean theyll keep dosing you, just no take homes.even the benzos they talk like they dont like it but will tolerate it, they want to keep you on the program.
annoying that i have to get breathalized and see a councilor before i dose every day for a month, oh well. stupid questions like when im on the second day of the program on 25mg asking if im still using and if the done is holding me... sure, from a bundle a day just to not get sick??

I have found that the professional clinic staff basically don't expect anyone to necessarily be perfect with their sobriety right off the bat.

I might have forgotten to mention it, but if you're taking prescribed benzos from a doctor and you want to keep taking them while on methadone, you will probably have to get your doctor to also sign off, getting a letter from the doctor acknowledging they're aware you are taking methadone while also the benzodiazepine.

If you don't have a script for them, there is generally not going to be a clinic you can find that will allow you to continue MMT and using illicit benzos for too long.

I was wondering how you were going also. My dr thinks its a good idea to swap to done for awhile so I start next week. How's it going now for you? Are you stable and how long did it take? He said we will 'crank it right up.'

Poppy seed tea is the fucking devil. I used it as a replacement for over a year, thinking it was better than dones or bupes. I checked today, I have had 135 hours without dosing, and I feel almost as shitty as days 1 and 2. Kratom is your best bet.

You must actually want to quit for any kind of treatment to work. If you have tried quitting without methadone many times and its not working then maybe its right for you, but always always always only go on it if you need to. It takes forever to get off once your on. Talk to your family doctor tell them about your addiction and tell them you want to try and quit without methadone and see if they can give you benzos to help you sleep something for the cold sweats and something for the diarrhea