• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Share your artwork v. BL's got talent

Volundr! Woahhhhh, that's some serious talent.. I LOVE the skull piece it'd be an amazingly complex tattoo to do haha..

<3 Mav

Wow, thanks for the wonderful response! <3

Might have triggered me into sitting down and actually doing some art rather than moping around doing fuck all...haven't done anything productive since getting blunty rejected from some shitty pre-uni art course like 6 weeks ago..so yeah thanks a lot!

haven't done anything productive since getting blunty rejected from some shitty pre-uni art course like 6 weeks ago..so yeah thanks a lot!

Pfft, who are they to reject you? Don't let them discourage you!! You're a brilliant artist so keep doing what you love <3

ring1.jpg

This is a ring I made earlier this evening. I wish the picture quality was better but it's your typical webcam so yeah... it sucks :p

Oh that's so awesome. I've been showing some interest in making spoon rings. Any experience with those?

would anybody in here be interested in a thread to post art, with constructive criticizm, etc?

Ima say this in a way that i am trying to be as least dick-ish as possible.

But some of the things that i seen in these threads over the years get gushing compliments and tons of thumbs up, "OMG that is AMAZING!" when to be totally honest, they really aint, and really need a LOT of work.

I aint knocking nobodys appreciation or comments. I am just saying that a lot of times when you have people who aint educated about art or who aint got artistic skills of their own commenting on other peoples art, they tend to think the most basic, mediocre beginners-skill level of sketch is a masterpiece.

Its nice to hear positive shit no doubt. But when a person does a sketch that is kind of crappy, and they hear how great and awesome it is, it can have a negative effect on their art becuz they think , well if im so great then i dont need to improve. That sketch i made was awesome and everyone thinks its spectacular, I am pretty damn good!

When in reality the perspective was totally fucked, the shading was all over the place an the general quality of it was at the level of a 12-year old "introduction to drawing" student.

(And i aint saying that about any particular picture in here, so dont get me wrong, i am just using a made up example so dont think "oh, is she talkin about me?" I woulnt be that rude.)

to grow as a artist you need to hear when your shit sucks so you can learn how to improve. and that way when you DO get a compliment, its a REAL one, that really means something. When a person thinks everything they see that is slightly more talented than a stick figure is super-great, they may be a positive nice person who is just spreadin the love, and there aint nothing wrong with that--but they think EVERYTHING is great, so saying that artist A's picture is awesome really aint a comment on the actual quality of his or her work, its just that you think any and all art is awesome. You feel me, its like when a kid sucks at singing, and her mom tells her that her voice is beautiful and she is a excellent singer. It dont mean nothing at all, becuz her mom aint got the slightest clue about singing and is totally biased becuz its her kid, of course she will think its great becuz its her kid whose doin it. the kind of compliment that comes from a person who is ignorant about the subject is nice to hear and it aint a bad thing, its just that if a person is really actually tryin to grow in their talent and improve their work, givin them praise that they dont actually deserve just inflates their ego for no reason and makes them less likely to work hard at gettin better.

I aint criticizing nobody in here becuz i know this AINT a thread that is suppose to be for critiquing art an its just to share it with people. thats why i asked if anybody would be intereste in a thread that IS for that....Where people coul post their shit and get HONEST replies that aint afraid to say, hey, listen....that really needs alot of work, and i can help offer you suggestions on how you can improve it if you want me to help.

It wouldnt have to be negative and full of haters or nothin like that. constructive criticizm is important when you are a artist. If you are totally satisfied with somethin you made and just wanna share it, post it in here and get some love...but if you are interested in tryin to improve and see other peoples real opinions on the shit you make, you could post it in this other thread. I never see one little suggestion in this thread, not the smallest thing like , hey thats great, have you ever considered doing so and so becuz it might add to it and make it look better, or nothing like that. even a very kind, helpful totally non mean comment. Its so full of PLUR that somebody could post a picture of a triangle in here and people would comment about how much they love it and think its amazing.

like i said...that kind of environment is good for people who just want encouragement and praise, or who just like showin their work to others and sharing it and like the good vibes and loving atmosphere.

But if there is any serious artists who would be interested in postin and commentin in a thread that is more about constructive criticizm and makin helpful suggestions and posting honest opinions whether or not they are "nice", post back and let me know and maybe we can make a thread like that. i aint gonna make one if there aint interest in it so i figured i would ask in here. Sorry to make a off topic post I am just curious how people feel about it?

I think that's a good idea for sure.

That was a massive rant huh?? :)

But also some people in here aren't trying to be artists on the path to greatness, some just enjoy doing what they do!! So yeah some of their shit might be "OK" or whatever, but maybe they're happy with not being amazing or whatever, and it's just nice that they're expressing themselves at all.

yea for sure, i def. understand that, i made sure to include that in my post cuz i realize the purpose of alot of ppl postin in here is just for fun. Thats why the kind of shit i was thinkin of dont belong in this thread, it wouldnt be appropriate in here and it would come off as rude to people.

Thats why i figured maybe we could have a seperate "serious" art sharing thread for the ppl who are workin on improving their work, who want realistic and honest advice and opinions, good and bad. it should definately be seperate from this thread like i said, i aint tryna rain on nobodys parade if they are just fuckin around and havin some fun it aint right to bring that kinda shit in here. :) anyways, i aint tryna take this off topic i jst wanted to see if there was any interest in that type of thread.

Wow, Volundr I'm very envious of your work.
It's awesome.

would anybody in here be interested in a thread to post art, with constructive criticizm, etc?

Ima say this in a way that i am trying to be as least dick-ish as possible.

But some of the things that i seen in these threads over the years get gushing compliments and tons of thumbs up, "OMG that is AMAZING!" when to be totally honest, they really aint, and really need a LOT of work.

I aint knocking nobodys appreciation or comments. I am just saying that a lot of times when you have people who aint educated about art or who aint got artistic skills of their own commenting on other peoples art, they tend to think the most basic, mediocre beginners-skill level of sketch is a masterpiece.

Its nice to hear positive shit no doubt. But when a person does a sketch that is kind of crappy, and they hear how great and awesome it is, it can have a negative effect on their art becuz they think , well if im so great then i dont need to improve. That sketch i made was awesome and everyone thinks its spectacular, I am pretty damn good!

When in reality the perspective was totally fucked, the shading was all over the place an the general quality of it was at the level of a 12-year old "introduction to drawing" student.

(And i aint saying that about any particular picture in here, so dont get me wrong, i am just using a made up example so dont think "oh, is she talkin about me?" I woulnt be that rude.)

to grow as a artist you need to hear when your shit sucks so you can learn how to improve. and that way when you DO get a compliment, its a REAL one, that really means something. When a person thinks everything they see that is slightly more talented than a stick figure is super-great, they may be a positive nice person who is just spreadin the love, and there aint nothing wrong with that--but they think EVERYTHING is great, so saying that artist A's picture is awesome really aint a comment on the actual quality of his or her work, its just that you think any and all art is awesome. You feel me, its like when a kid sucks at singing, and her mom tells her that her voice is beautiful and she is a excellent singer. It dont mean nothing at all, becuz her mom aint got the slightest clue about singing and is totally biased becuz its her kid, of course she will think its great becuz its her kid whose doin it. the kind of compliment that comes from a person who is ignorant about the subject is nice to hear and it aint a bad thing, its just that if a person is really actually tryin to grow in their talent and improve their work, givin them praise that they dont actually deserve just inflates their ego for no reason and makes them less likely to work hard at gettin better.

I aint criticizing nobody in here becuz i know this AINT a thread that is suppose to be for critiquing art an its just to share it with people. thats why i asked if anybody would be intereste in a thread that IS for that....Where people coul post their shit and get HONEST replies that aint afraid to say, hey, listen....that really needs alot of work, and i can help offer you suggestions on how you can improve it if you want me to help.

It wouldnt have to be negative and full of haters or nothin like that. constructive criticizm is important when you are a artist. If you are totally satisfied with somethin you made and just wanna share it, post it in here and get some love...but if you are interested in tryin to improve and see other peoples real opinions on the shit you make, you could post it in this other thread. I never see one little suggestion in this thread, not the smallest thing like , hey thats great, have you ever considered doing so and so becuz it might add to it and make it look better, or nothing like that. even a very kind, helpful totally non mean comment. Its so full of PLUR that somebody could post a picture of a triangle in here and people would comment about how much they love it and think its amazing.

like i said...that kind of environment is good for people who just want encouragement and praise, or who just like showin their work to others and sharing it and like the good vibes and loving atmosphere.

But if there is any serious artists who would be interested in postin and commentin in a thread that is more about constructive criticizm and makin helpful suggestions and posting honest opinions whether or not they are "nice", post back and let me know and maybe we can make a thread like that. i aint gonna make one if there aint interest in it so i figured i would ask in here. Sorry to make a off topic post I am just curious how people feel about it?

Oh thank God, I'm not the only one. <3

I guess I'll have to start.... your eyebrows need more Sharpie. ;)

fairly certain we did something like this a few years ago. along with design competitions. they both sort of just petered out.

Oh thank God, I'm not the only one. <3

I guess I'll have to start.... your eyebrows need more Sharpie. ;)

Hahaha.

I too agree a constructive criticism thread would be of interest to many people.

I think it's funny that this suggestion came directly after I posted my last piece of work haha.

Lacey - great idea...but a seperate thread would be a bit lame and pointless I reckon.

If constructive criticism is really wanted, then the artist should ask for it I reckon...

Or possibly ya could just go for it and try some constructive criticism on another's work anyways...I for one wouldn't mind someone giving me constructive criticism without me having asked - you're right - if it's felt to be valid then it can only help you grow...if not, then no harm done - a little hurt maybe, but if you're gonna ignore it anyways, as I said it can only make you stronger and more motivated in your vision.

Last edited:
If constructive criticism is really wanted, then the artist should ask for it I reckon...

exactly. there's really no need to begin another thread for serious critiques. if someone wants their work critiqued, they should request it upon posting the piece. in addition, there is also the option of PMing an artist and giving them your thoughts respectfully and privately.