Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Sexual assault during the MAPS trials

t_wrex

Bluelighter
Recently came across a somewhat disturbing article:

The gist is that a patient in the MAPS MDMA trials had sex with one of the therapists while under the influence. There was a lawsuit that was filed and subsequently settled, with the therapists (2 were involved) saying that the sex was consensual. (Personally, I don't see how there could ever be consent when one person is drugged, let alone during a clinical trial.) MAPS released a statement last May concerning the incident:

The Quartz article contained a number of noteworthy statements from other assault victims in different trials/situations, such as:

Lily Kay Ross said she felt compelled to leave work in psychedelics after she spoke out about her rape by an ayahuasca shaman in the Amazon. “I was told explicitly that I might single-handedly re-instigate the war on drugs and undo all of the advancements in the field of psychedelic research since the 1960s,” she said. “There’s the idea that psychedelics are so important and so wonderful that the train has to keep going. We can’t slow down to get the rapists off the train.”

In the course of reporting this story, one psychedelics researcher Quartz reached out to said they didn’t want to be interviewed and warned that this article could have negative consequences for the field. “I’m a bit worried that mainly some very vocal people will be interviewed that will blame MAPS or the mainstreaming of psychedelic therapy for this incident, while these things are always much more nuanced and definitely not exclusive to psychedelic therapy,” the researcher wrote in reply to Quartz’s email. “I think it is important to have a constructive dialogue around these issues and challenges, but it can easily become polarizing and potentially damaging to the current developments as well. I hope that you are aware of that and are approaching this carefully.”

MAPS would have been aware of the risk of sexual abuse in psychedelic therapy long before Buisson made her complaint. Doblin, who sponsored and oversaw the Vancouver trial, previously spoke of this concern in interviews. “There’s a long-established awareness in psychotherapy that the intimacy of the relationship sometimes shades into sexual relationships between patient and therapist that are not to the advantage of the patient…. MDMA helps people open up in very intimate ways,” he told Julie Holland in an interview published in her 2001 book, Ecstasy: The Complete Guide. “I think that safeguards need to be established, so that MDMA is not used in that way.”
Yet neither the FDA nor patients were warned of that risk ahead of the trial. In all clinical trials, subjects must sign “informed consent documents,” which lay out the risks they accept by participating. Quartz has seen the informed consent document given to participants in MAPS’s Vancouver trial, which lists possible risks including dry mouth, fatigue, feeling cold, anxiety, and numbness. It does not mention that MDMA can increase sexual arousal, or warn of the history of therapists abusing patients.

Crucially, psychologists in the US and Canada are required to have a license, whereas not all psychedelic therapists in clinical trials have to meet this standard. Licensing provides a system of accountability: It takes considerable work and training to get such a license and, if a psychologist has a sexual relationship with a patient, the licensing board will strip them of their qualification and the right to practice.
MAPS, meanwhile, wants the FDA to approve rules that would allow psychedelic therapists to work in teams with only one license per pair, meaning some psychedelic therapists could practice in the US without a license. Should MDMA therapy be legalized, the FDA will approve a risk evaluation and mitigation strategy (REMS) for the treatment, which will be informed by MAPS’ clinical trials. Doblin said that MAPS has negotiated terms in its REMS that state anyone who conducts psychedelic therapy must first go through a MAPS training program. “It’s a requirement,” he said.

That last quote was news to me. It seems rather cavalier to not require all therapists to be licensed.....

Keeping in mind that this is just one article with statements from a few people, it's not hard to read it and come away with a bit of a soured view on MAPS, or at least to some of the people involved. I fully support the end goal of mainstreaming psychedelic therapy in an evidence- and caution-based way, but damn it if it won't be this kind of bullshit that takes the project down.

The article frames it in such a way as to suggest it's a problem with psychedelic therapy in general, as opposed to individuals (or at least the headline suggests it, even if inadvertently). Some subset of the population are sexual predators, there is no reason why this wouldn't be the case for psychedelic therapists as well. In fact it might even be an attractive role for those types, as it could afford opportunities to take advantage of suggestible people. Which does point to the need for strict screening procedures.

It is worrying that media would frame it this way, as it is the sort of thing that could get the project taken down or at least provide ammunition against it. :\

In fact it might even be an attractive role for those types, as it could afford opportunities to take advantage of suggestible people. Which does point to the need for strict screening procedures.

I think that was one of the main points of the article. The drugs in question increase suggestibility and enhance arousal, and so should be subject to more strict procedures than other clinical trials. If the information in the article is correct, it sounds like the procedures being proposed are less strict.

It is worrying that media would frame it this way, as it is the sort of thing that could get the project taken down or at least provide ammunition against it. :\

Worrying, but hardly surprising.

But TWO therapists? Fuckin go girl... :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, we all know that MDMA makes you less inhibited but it doesn't make you lose control - often the opposite. Yes, the therapist (the rapist?) shouldn't take advantage of the situation but the issue of consent will be very hard to prove one way or the other.

Honestly, I think it was going to happen sooner or later (as terrible as that is to say). It happens with all kinds of medical practice, so why should one that involves mind altering substances DURING treatment be a surprise????
It's terrible, and it will be a huge push-back against psychedelic / empathogenic therapy et. al. due to media spin (they've been waiting for something to go wrong since it's inception!) but fuckin hell.... sexual abuse in religion is the ocean compared to this drop in the test-tube :(

Of course there will be a fuck-tonne of fake allegations to come, but not all allegations can be discounted. I just hope it's not the end of MAPS, as they've done amazing work against all the odds o_O

There'll be consensual (still wrong) acts no doubt.

What a mess & great shame... :oops:

Honestly I haven't read the articles yet, I will do in due course, but, christ, that's sad to see, of course, sadly, not really a surprise since this kind of shit happens all the time.

This quote - "“I was told explicitly that I might single-handedly re-instigate the war on drugs and undo all of the advancements in the field of psychedelic research since the 1960s,” she said. “There’s the idea that psychedelics are so important and so wonderful that the train has to keep going. We can’t slow down to get the rapists off the train.” " - is particularly fucked up and sad, because obviously it is true that this shit is bad for drug reform efforts in general, but it's obviously the fault of the fucking predators who allowed this situation to happen rather than the victim for calling out the rapist. Victim blaming at it's finest...

Semantic debate about the definitions of rape and consent are not important here. "Professionals" working in as controversial and heavily maligned field as psychedelic research have a moral duty to go the extra mile not to allow this shit to happen. Even if it was entirely consensual - they've committed a major fuck up here and have a lot to answer for, for denting public perception of an already controversial field. And that's putting it in the most optimistic and neutral light as possible. If it's anything worse than that... well, this is just all kinds of fucked up and wrong.

Honestly I haven't read the articles yet, I will do in due course, but, christ, that's sad to see, of course, sadly, not really a surprise since this kind of shit happens all the time.

This quote - "“I was told explicitly that I might single-handedly re-instigate the war on drugs and undo all of the advancements in the field of psychedelic research since the 1960s,” she said. “There’s the idea that psychedelics are so important and so wonderful that the train has to keep going. We can’t slow down to get the rapists off the train.” " - is particularly fucked up and sad, because obviously it is true that this shit is bad for drug reform efforts in general, but it's obviously the fault of the fucking predators who allowed this situation to happen rather than the victim for calling out the rapist. Victim blaming at it's finest...

Yeah, there were some quotes from Doblin himself that were along these same lines. Can't let the victim speak out, cause it might damage our prospects. Pretty gross.

Semantic debate about the definitions of rape and consent are not important here. "Professionals" working in as controversial and heavily maligned field as psychedelic research have a moral duty to go the extra mile not to allow this shit to happen. Even if it was entirely consensual - they've committed a major fuck up here and have a lot to answer for, for denting public perception of an already controversial field. And that's putting it in the most optimistic and neutral light as possible. If it's anything worse than that... well, this is just all kinds of fucked up and wrong.

Totally agree with all of this. Psychedelic trials already have a rich history of going off the rails, and MDMA therapy in particular has numerous documented cases of sexual predation from the 1970's-80's. Things need to be squeaky clean, primarily because therapists will be interacting with patients while they are in an extremely vulnerable state. But also because you can absolutely see some old Regean-era commissioners at the FDA coming back and saying "WTF, you guys couldn't even make it through a trial without having a patient get assaulted under the influence, plus you're giving them da evil droogs, this project's cancelled". I hope that's not what happens, but I can't say I don't see it as a possibility. Assuming work continues, I think it will be paramount for future trials to make very clear the risk involved of lowered inhibitions, and particularly that therapists are screened heavily for any signs of predatory-ness.

It kinda blows my mind that there weren't equivalently stringent licensing requirements for the therapists... let alone MORE stringent ones as there should have been.

I saw the article the other day but could not read it. Stuff like this is like dowsing a small flame with a lot of water when it come to the public understanding. This idiot predator gave the media an in to calling these substances perverted. In truth there are a lot of peope with integrity that would not stoop to such selfiish animalistic nonsense. Honestly, I got angry when I saw it in the news. I could punch this dude and I don't want to feel that way. Such delicate stuff and we have a bull in a china shop.

Doblin himself is a FBI informant nark who put away LSD chemists to save his own ass cause he believes hes some almighty psychedelic prophet. Sexual abuse among psychedelic theparists or shamans is alot more common than people think. This sort of stuff attracts more psychopaths looking to make money and control people than just a handful its very common knowledge 99% of ayahuasca retreats are bullshit scams to make money by having 20-30 people go in together.

There also some very kind heart souls trying to heal people out there for free and dont associate themselves with maps or anything.

Maps trying to cover sexual assault seems like something they would do with their track record and ego filled arrogance that they are the gatekeepers of psychedelic therapy when they don't know shit. Many underground shamans out there doing psychedelic and mdma therapy before maps came into it with very good results.

^ put it better than I could. MAPS has unfortunate Halpern and Doblin related baggage as well as a bunch of other stuff.

I saw the article the other day but could not read it. Stuff like this is like dowsing a small flame with a lot of water when it come to the public understanding. This idiot predator gave the media an in to calling these substances perverted. In truth there are a lot of peope with integrity that would not stoop to such selfiish animalistic nonsense. Honestly, I got angry when I saw it in the news. I could punch this dude and I don't want to feel that way. Such delicate stuff and we have a bull in a china shop.

I agree that some media outlets will likely have a field day, but to be honest I thought this article in particular wasn't too hyperbolic. The headline is bad, and there's a likely possibility that it wasn't written by the author (a lot of online journalism has "headline writers" whose sole purpose is to engineer a headline that gets clicks, often deviating from the article's subject. It's unfortunate.)

Doblin himself is a FBI informant nark who put away LSD chemists to save his own ass cause he believes hes some almighty psychedelic prophet. Sexual abuse among psychedelic theparists or shamans is alot more common than people think. This sort of stuff attracts more psychopaths looking to make money and control people than just a handful its very common knowledge 99% of ayahuasca retreats are bullshit scams to make money by having 20-30 people go in together.

There also some very kind heart souls trying to heal people out there for free and dont associate themselves with maps or anything.

Maps trying to cover sexual assault seems like something they would do with their track record and ego filled arrogance that they are the gatekeepers of psychedelic therapy when they don't know shit. Many underground shamans out there doing psychedelic and mdma therapy before maps came into it with very good results.

I'm not too familiar with MAPS. They always seemed altruistic enough, and they appear to have an air of legitimacy what with the trials and all. Sucks that there's baggage around them.

I HAVE heard some fucked up stories about these "ayahuasca retreats". It seems like charlatans and predators are attracted to it. Personally I've also found the idea to be a little patronizing/culturally appropriative.

Can of worms this stuff is. Some stones better left unturned. I guess what TrippSitter posted is adding to a reality that exists every else. Total selfish level love instead of that Higher Love you know? (like the song :)) I know the names, but not aware of the schenanigans.

I'll read it. I usually don't like to comment on anything until I've read everything.

Yeah, there were some quotes from Doblin himself that were along these same lines. Can't let the victim speak out, cause it might damage our prospects. Pretty gross.

Totally agree with all of this. Psychedelic trials already have a rich history of going off the rails, and MDMA therapy in particular has numerous documented cases of sexual predation from the 1970's-80's. Things need to be squeaky clean, primarily because therapists will be interacting with patients while they are in an extremely vulnerable state. But also because you can absolutely see some old Regean-era commissioners at the FDA coming back and saying "WTF, you guys couldn't even make it through a trial without having a patient get assaulted under the influence, plus you're giving them da evil droogs, this project's cancelled". I hope that's not what happens, but I can't say I don't see it as a possibility. Assuming work continues, I think it will be paramount for future trials to make very clear the risk involved of lowered inhibitions, and particularly that therapists are screened heavily for any signs of predatory-ness.
Very true. Timothy Leary and Ram Dass or Richard Alpert used to give women and teen girls high doses of LSD and other drugs and basically rape or sexually assault them, but so did the band and road crew of the dead, however everyone knew they were the biggest drug band.

I'm not too familiar with MAPS. They always seemed altruistic enough, and they appear to have an air of legitimacy what with the trials and all. Sucks that there's baggage around them.

I HAVE heard some fucked up stories about these "ayahuasca retreats". It seems like charlatans and predators are attracted to it. Personally I've also found the idea to be a little patronizing/culturally appropriative.
What did you hear about the Ayahuasca retreats? I heard they are super expensive, not very well organised, in the middle of nowhere in the Amazon rainforest, and that there are lots of guides/shamans who really do not like the wealthy gringos, foreigners, etc. going to their country to abuse Ayahuasca and other plant mixtures, plants, fungi, etc. A friend of mine was involved in leading ceremonies but he lived with the natives for well over a decade and said how they really loathed Ayahuasca tourists and especially hated how the burnt out McKennas abused Ayahuasca and started Ayahuasca tourism.

I read the article, and honestly some of it is pretty concerning. Particularly the fact that MAPS is pushing for only one of two of the clinicians involved in therapy having to be licensed, while the other just has to take a short training course with MAPS. The Buisson/Yensen situation makes it abundantly clear why this is a bad idea. Yensen argued that he couldn't be held responsible for his behaviour because he wasn't a licensed professional and therefore didn't have to abide by their standards.

Rick Doblin is what actual deadheads call a wook or scenester, or someone who went to shows not for the music but for drugs only. 😹😒

Doblin himself is a FBI informant nark who put away LSD chemists to save his own ass cause he believes hes some almighty psychedelic prophet.
I know about Halpern but I hadn't heard this about Doblin. Do you have a source for this? I would be interested to see it.

I read the article, and honestly some of it is pretty concerning. Particularly the fact that MAPS is pushing for only one of two of the clinicians involved in therapy having to be licensed, while the other just has to take a short training course with MAPS. The Buisson/Yensen situation makes it abundantly clear why this is a bad idea. Yensen argued that he couldn't be held responsible for his behaviour because he wasn't a licensed professional and therefore didn't have to abide by their standards.
I did not read the articles but I am not surprised he and MAPS are covering their asses like this. Even during the 1960s when LSD had recently became illegal, and during the 1970s and 1980s when MDA, MDMA, and other related designer drugs were legal no legit licensed therapist, counselor, or psychiatrist even in the SF Bay area would risk prison or having their qualifications and career ruined by giving clients drugs or being known as a place to trip.

I know that in more recent years in central Europe psychedelic drugs such as LSD in low, or even threshold or micro doses that do not make the person taking it actually really trip as in having a full psychedelic experience, are used by a small number of psychiatrists and their clients but nobody is sexually assaulted or raped or gets so high that they cannot consent or has a complete loss of control.

This is the article I remember reading. I am not sure what the effects of 100ug of LSD are versus 250ug or 350ug but I never had any of the acid I ate lab tested.

Last edited: