• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Sertraline/Zoloft + Mushrooms trip killer or trip duller?

Lysosomalstorage

Bluelighter
So I've got a load of mushroom chocolate for a trip with friends and one of them is on Sertraline, I've read conflicting reports literally everywhere from anecdotal to research on SSRI interaction with psilocybin.

Some say it negates effects entirely, some say it just reduced the intensity of the trip. In this situation it will likely be low dose just for a body high and minor cev, so I'm curious if anyone knows the biology/pharmacodynamics specifically for low dosages Vs Sertraline. I'm guessing it's largely down to personal biology, they're on quite a low dose of sertraline as well about 50mg. Any input would be great cheers

Bro I am sorry to say but you cannot trip on stuff when on meds. You need to clear the half life at the least 3 days of no use. SSRI/SNRIs weaken psilocybin drug effects relative to a non-serotonergic antidepressant. I ate 8 grams on 100mg zoloft and it was like I had eaten some portobellos, they had absolutely no effect............but everyone else was tripping...

Pisses me off so much these meds interfere with a lot of shit but I need them

Taking pretty much any dose other than “heroic” doses of mushrooms on an SSRI will give you virtually no effect.

The poster above said 3 days(at least) but I’m fairly certain it’s actually longer than that, if the person using anti-depressants has been on them for any real length of time. I’ve been trying to trip with my sister, as well as a few friends who have been on long term Zoloft/Sertraline and similar meds for years and most of them have managed to stay off their anti-depressants for about a week tops and I’ve dosed them at their farthest point to very little or no effect.

It’s a sad reality but people dependent on most of the common anti-depressants can’t trip unless they can manage to fully quit their meds. It’s also not as easy to just ask somebody to stop using a drug they’ve been using for years(or even months) that they’re dependent on with the promise of “mushrooms will be better.” SSRI/SNRIs are addictive drugs that actually have pretty nasty withdrawals, and while mushrooms likely are more beneficial to their overall mental health quitting a drug is quite a process that most people on this forum know very well. Or don’t know well, but have at some point or another tried like hell.

Taking pretty much any dose other than “heroic” doses of mushrooms on an SSRI will give you virtually no effect.

The poster above said 3 days(at least) but I’m fairly certain it’s actually longer than that, if the person using anti-depressants has been on them for any real length of time. I’ve been trying to trip with my sister, as well as a few friends who have been on long term Zoloft/Sertraline and similar meds for years and most of them have managed to stay off their anti-depressants for about a week tops and I’ve dosed them at their farthest point to very little or no effect.

It’s a sad reality but people dependent on most of the common anti-depressants can’t trip unless they can manage to fully quit their meds. It’s also not as easy to just ask somebody to stop using a drug they’ve been using for years(or even months) that they’re dependent on with the promise of “mushrooms will be better.” SSRI/SNRIs are addictive drugs that actually have pretty nasty withdrawals, and while mushrooms likely are more beneficial to their overall mental health quitting a drug is quite a process that most people on this forum know very well. Or don’t know well, but have at some point or another tried like hell.
I should edit the post but I’m not sure how. I only even say a heroic dose will effect you because at one point I fell into a decent amount of tramadol which has SNRI properties and after binging on about 200-300mg for a few days I tried taking my normal bi-weekly 8th and it had almost zero effect. Put 2 and 2 together pretty quick and four days later(while still using up the last of the tramadol) decided to eat 8.5 grams instead. It didn’t effect me nearly as much as such a strong dose should have, in fact it was more like a 2ish gram dose at best. And these were some pretty potent APEs; not just your run of the mill cubes.

I don’t know the true science behind why SSRIs/SNRIs ruin trips, but afaik SSRIs block them far worse than SNRIs do and I was still getting hardly any effect from doing tramadol of all drugs. I’ve never come close to 8 grams on these specific mushrooms before, they should have put me in a different world but I had a “beginner” experience at best.

Bro I am sorry to say but you cannot trip on stuff when on meds. You need to clear the half life at the least 3 days of no use. SSRI/SNRIs weaken psilocybin drug effects relative to a non-serotonergic antidepressant. I ate 8 grams on 100mg zoloft and it was like I had eaten some portobellos, they had absolutely no effect............but everyone else was tripping...

Pisses me off so much these meds interfere with a lot of shit but I need them
Wow 8 grams and no effect. I did shrooms while I was on Effexor XR and I definitely still tripped and felt the effects, maybe the visual aspect of the trip was a little blunted but everything else was still strong like the body, mental and emotional high was still there

I did shrooms while I was on Effexor XR at both 3.5 grams and 7 grams and I definitely still tripped and felt the effects. Maybe the visuals weren't as intense but every other aspect of the trip was still there like the body, mental and emotional trip. I guess everyone is different but I still tripped while I was on antidepressants.

When I ate 7 grams I hadn't taken my Effexor in a few days and I can't recall if I took it the day I ate 7 grams but I tripped really hard and felt the effects, I became delusional.

I’m on daily sertraline and shrooms do nothing. I ate 7g and it was a total waste. Kinda sucks tbh.

I’m on daily sertraline and shrooms do nothing. I ate 7g and it was a total waste. Kinda sucks tbh.
Damn that blows, it's weird because when I did shrooms on Effexor XR I still tripped and felt the effects. You got no body high or anything?

Damn that blows, it's weird because when I did shrooms on Effexor XR I still tripped and felt the effects. You got no body high or anything?
I felt a slight body high for maybe an hour or so. I was really disappointed tbh. I had eaten a shroom chocolate bar about a week earlier and felt nothing. I chalked that up to being bunk and then ate 7g split between penis envy and golden teachers and pretty much nothing came of it.

Damn that is crazy, I ate 7 grams of Golden Teachers while I was on Effexor XR and I got a very intense body, mindfuck, and emotional trip for 6 hours and some visuals like enhanced and brightened color, visual acuity became much more sharp and CEV but other the effects were full on. Maybe if you were on Effexor it might have worked

I felt a slight body high for maybe an hour or so. I was really disappointed tbh. I had eaten a shroom chocolate bar about a week earlier and felt nothing. I chalked that up to being bunk and then ate 7g split between penis envy and golden teachers and pretty much nothing came of it.
I would have been so upset. Not even the penis envy did it.

A couple of weeks prior to eating the quarter ounce I ate a full 3.5 grams while I was on both Effexor and Suboxone and I tripped for 5 hours, mainly a intense body high and mental effects very similar to MDMA but stronger and in a natural way. I'm sure if I wasn't on Effexor I would have had more visuals but I mean they were Golden Teachers. It's so weird how everyone doesn't feel the shrooms on antidepressants but I still did

A couple of weeks prior to eating the quarter ounce I ate a full 3.5 grams while I was on both Effexor and Suboxone and I tripped for 5 hours, mainly a intense body high and mental effects very similar to MDMA but stronger and in a natural way. I'm sure if I wasn't on Effexor I would have had more visuals but I mean they were Golden Teachers. It's so weird how everyone doesn't feel the shrooms on antidepressants but I still did
Well I’m also on Wellbutrin and alprazolam daily too so between the combo tripping is not possible it seems. At least not with shrooms. Haven’t tried LSD since I was on these stupid meds.

Well I’m also on Wellbutrin and alprazolam daily too so between the combo tripping is not possible it seems. At least not with shrooms. Haven’t tried LSD since I was on these stupid meds.
I mean the Xanax is definitely a trip killer, so that in conjunction with the Zoloft probably is what did it. I don't know about the Wellbutrin. That really blows though. Psych meds suck.

I used to be on 200 mgs of Zoloft and one time I took like 2 or 3 Ecstacy pills and felt nothing. Thank God I got off Zoloft.

I mean the Xanax is definitely a trip killer, so that in conjunction with the Zoloft probably is what did it. I don't know about the Wellbutrin. That really blows though. Psych meds suck.
Yes they do. I forgot sertraline. I take that crap too. 🫤

Really? Dang I gotta get off this stuff so I can enjoy rec drugs again. lol.
Yeah I deliberately stopped taking Zoloft and a couple days later I took a red grenade E pill and Yellow Tesla E pill and I felt it but it still wasn't intense because the Zoloft was still in my system but I felt something but I think I fucked myself up doing that because I then took 40 mgs of Adderall XR and I was not right for a few days like way too wired. I couldn't even smoke a cigarette without the nicotine giving me anxiety which is rare