Mental Health Sertraline advice for severe anxiety

I've been prescribed Sertraline (50mg a day) for anxiety and just the thought of taking it has given me worse anxiety, I've heard nothing but bad things about it. I was previously on 60mg Mirtazapine for anxiety but that didn't work at all. My anxiety is quite crippling atm and I am unable to leave my house unless I've had a drink, given I am a drinker who is trying to get sober this isn't a good thing, which is why I went back to the Dr for new meds.

Can anyone give me some confidence that this is a medication which will help me?

Very correct!
Sertraline does increase anxiety a lot but for only a few days. After that it begins to help and helps a lot.

I tried Citalopram first and basically had a day-long panic attack, so when I got my Sertraline I snapped the 50mg pills in half and just took 25mg for the first 6 days and it helped a LOT! I really recommend it if you're struggling with the initial side effects.

Thanks for reply 🙂. Speaking to my psychiatrist tomorrow so i'll see what she thinks. I'm guessing it's a side effect. I'm not taking any tonight untill I speak to her. I don't fuck around with my brain and it felt really fucking weird. It's only 50mg still to work up to larger dose.

Thanks for reply 🙂
Glad it has helped somewhat with your PTSD symptoms.... Hoping for same results - minus the sexual side effects which don't sound fun at all. I'm a female, but I don't know if that makes a difference. I just can't live like this anymore so I really hope it works.
I cannot speak for how you would react to Sertraline with sexual side effects. However, I have read in one study that offers a comprehensive study of sexual dysfunction and antidepressant.
you can read the full report here:

I cannot speak for how you would react to Sertraline with sexual side effects. However, I have read in one study that offers a comprehensive study of sexual dysfunction and antidepressant.
you can read the full report here:

Meh. The first few weeks it was definitely really hard to ejaculate...like I had to fantasize really heavily and even then sometimes it didn't work (I tried every second day, just because I was a teen living with my parents, didn't know how to do laundry, and I'd be mortified if I spermed up the bed sheets with a wet dream lol). But after a few weeks it gets easier. Been on it 13 years now and have zero sexual side effects at all. I think they went away completely after a couple months.

Update please, @iTry91 ?
If you persevered with the Sertraline, how's it going? If not, what did you switch to?
I didn't get a call back from psychiatrist. Stopped taking them and was taking something else (don't know if ok to say which drug because this is mental health thread)
Anyway gonna start them again soon probably because my family and support workers keep pestering me to do so lol. I'll report back once I do. Also good to know that the sexual side effects might not be as big an issue than anticipated. Thanks for asking 🙂

Last edited:
I didn't get a call back from psychiatrist. Stopped taking them and was taking something else (don't know if ok to say which drug because this is mental health thread)
Anyway gonna start them again soon probably because my family and support workers keep pestering me to do so lol. I'll report back once I do. Also good to know that the sexual side effects might not be as big an issue than anticipated. Thanks for asking 🙂

It fine to say, but obv don't have to if you don't want to.
Yeah, don't worry about the sexual side effects, they do go away. And in the meantime (if you have a partner, one night stand, friend with benefits, hooker, whatever) it can be a positive because you can last much longer 👍

Two pieces of advice:
1. To feel the effects of Sertraline, it's recommended that one refrain from consuming additional mind altering drugs. Doing so makes it hard to clearly recognise what areas of your mindset, if any, are improving or worsening.
Honestly, because I used & abused throughout my time taking Sertraline, I cannot say for certain whether it benefited my mental health.
After 12 months I got jack of taking it.
I came off cold turkey, which brings me to...
2. One should wean themselves off this drug, pref under medical guidance. I stopped suddenly, purely because I ran out & was too lazy/disorganised to get a fresh script. The first couple of weeks I felt fine. Then, fine turned to fuuuuucked; four seasons in one day, emotions-wise; four seasons in one hour is a better description; vertigo; did I mention the vertigo? Brain zaps; and heavy depression. Ironically, it was alleviating depressive symptoms that made try Sertraline in the first place. Yet coming off Sertraline, I felt compelled to keep taking it just so I wouldn't feel so darkly depressed.
After 5-6 weeks off the meds, I was brain zap free & felt myself again.
They're a couple of things I'd keep in mind when using Sertraline. Thanks.

Interesting, two people & two different experiences as to sexual affects of Sertraline. I have not attempted to stop taking it. I have learned to pleasure without erections. Read much documentation of the risk if stopping cold turkey. No thanks, I have had enough mental pain to invite some more!

i just couldnt get thru 3 weeks on it, made me feel worse then i did, but i know you got to stick it out, i was put on remeron for sleep, and its an anti depressant i recently learned and it didnt bother me at all, but now worried about addiction, i know they help so may people, but man o man i couldnt handle sertraline, best of luck and less anxiety to you

I take Mirtazapine 45mg daily and i am a phet taker regularly. I took some sertraline for some reason and got bad twitches and pains in my arm and when i looked in a miror my pupils were completely different sizes. Like massively different. Felt like shit

Just what people call amphetamine where i live
Ohhh I getcha. Thanks :)
Just FYI, it would've been the combination of the mirtazapine plus the sertraline that would've made you feel like shit, nothing to do with the speed. Please don't ever combine two different antidepressant medications at once, it's really dangerous. Glad you're okay!!

Ohhh I getcha. Thanks :)
Just FYI, it would've been the combination of the mirtazapine plus the sertraline that would've made you feel like shit, nothing to do with the speed. Please don't ever combine two different antidepressant medications at once, it's really dangerous. Glad you're okay!!
Cheers man, i was just going through a phase where i was taking anything not knowing what they would do when mixed. Freaky seeing your pupils one massive and one tiny. Not to mention my arm. thought i was having a stroke. From my experience with the speed, ive not noticed any bad interactions. I like mixing speed with a few downers like diazepam or zopiclone. Thre zopiclone make u trip a bit. Im aware of the "dangers" of mixing them together. Im not advising anyone to do it either. But i guess im stupid. Pregablins and speed make me feel like every step i take ive stepped about ten yards haha.