Mental Health Sertraline advice for severe anxiety

justme6263

Bluelighter
I've been prescribed Sertraline (50mg a day) for anxiety and just the thought of taking it has given me worse anxiety, I've heard nothing but bad things about it. I was previously on 60mg Mirtazapine for anxiety but that didn't work at all. My anxiety is quite crippling atm and I am unable to leave my house unless I've had a drink, given I am a drinker who is trying to get sober this isn't a good thing, which is why I went back to the Dr for new meds.

Can anyone give me some confidence that this is a medication which will help me?

Nobody knows.Take a try.I am on sertraline from five months.Same dose.Now I am on half to 25mg from a few days-no diffefence.Cannot tell that no helps at all,but I take it for depression.Needs a long time to start to work.And have ofcourse numerous side effects like all antidepressants

My 17 year old son has been on 100mg/day for a couple of years now and it appears to have done wonders for him. It's debatable whether his new found confidence is due to the setraline itself, placebo effect or simply growing out of his issues, but it doesn't seem to have had any negative effects so far...

Starting on this soon hopefully the right decision to work my way up to see if it helps for anxiety

I've been prescribed Sertraline (50mg a day) for anxiety and just the thought of taking it has given me worse anxiety, I've heard nothing but bad things about it. I was previously on 60mg Mirtazapine for anxiety but that didn't work at all. My anxiety is quite crippling atm and I am unable to leave my house unless I've had a drink, given I am a drinker who is trying to get sober this isn't a good thing, which is why I went back to the Dr for new meds.

Can anyone give me some confidence that this is a medication which will help me?
You should stick with it for a few months before you look for new meds. 20mg fluoxetine works for me, I was prescribed sertraline but I dident follow through with it and stopped cold Turkey and it crippled me for days and fucked me up for years. Ik you will get this a lot but if you decide that it's not the right stuff for you go the fuck to your doctor and have him make a taper plan and follow it to the letter.

Dont be an idiot like me. Taper your meds.

I was on this medication for years at 100mg daily. Didn't notice any side effects until after I asked for the dose to be increased to 150mg. Then I started getting bad tremors and ended up being switched to something else. Can't recall what it was. I currently take 187.5mg Venlafaxine daily.
Heard that venlafaxine is often really hard to stop.Chemichal resemblens with tramadol

I was on 150mg venlafaxine for 4 years and I only just tapered off it and am now on 100mg sertraline. I don't want to scare you but venlafaxine was absolute hell getting off. Also really bad side effects started just after the four year mark. Brain zaps, complete loss of sex drive ect

100mg sertraline seems to be working ok. I am also taking benzos though.

ssris are for real. it’s an effective class of drugs that comes with side effects. good drugs are like that. 50mg is a starting dose and will be titrated up to a more therapeutic dose. sertraline will very likely help your anxiety if you give it time.

Sertraline will destroy your erections if dosage is high and over time. I have been taking 200mg a day for 3 years. Total ED, nothing. none of the ED drugs do anything. Even using edex alprostadil 40mcg injections have tiny result but not enough to be useful for penetration.

Anybody that's took sertraline here know if it made them have mad head rushes kinda felt like dopamine rushes up side of my head or something hard to explain, pupils huge, grinding teeth etc? Felt sort of like coming up strong, dry mouth felt a little sick etc only it didn't feel as good. I'm fine now just nervous bout taking my next one tomorrow again.

Last edited:
Never experienced any of those iTry91. However, the benefits were positive for my PTSD symptoms, or at least some of the sorts. I an not fond of losing the ability to obtain an erection of any type for the past couple of years. It really puts a damper on intercourse. Reaching orgasm has become increasingly difficult as erections & libido faded away. Most significant with the full on ED is the amount of shrinkage that has taken place. More and more often, I find it simpler to sit to urinate than to stand and try to pull the shrunken hose out far enough to clear zipper opening. Really is no fun when it’s so short and so shrunken that I end up with wet spot on pants!

Anybody that's took sertraline here know if it made them have mad head rushes kinda felt like dopamine rushes up side of my head or something hard to explain, pupils huge, grinding teeth etc? Felt sort of like coming up strong, dry mouth felt a little sick etc only it didn't feel as good. I'm fine now just nervous bout taking my next one tomorrow again.
What is your dose?I supposed must be more down.Must talk to your GP about that.Many people succesfully are transfered in other ssri.Do you feel any aprovements on that?Personally feel some positive effect from that,but is not much taking the lower dose.

What is your dose?I supposed must be more down.Must talk to your GP about that.Many people succesfully are transfered in other ssri.Do you feel any aprovements on that?Personally feel some positive effect from that,but is not much taking the lower dose.
Thanks for reply 🙂. Speaking to my psychiatrist tomorrow so i'll see what she thinks. I'm guessing it's a side effect. I'm not taking any tonight untill I speak to her. I don't fuck around with my brain and it felt really fucking weird. It's only 50mg still to work up to larger dose.
Never experienced any of those iTry91. However, the benefits were positive for my PTSD symptoms, or at least some of the sorts.
Thanks for reply 🙂
Glad it has helped somewhat with your PTSD symptoms.... Hoping for same results - minus the sexual side effects which don't sound fun at all. I'm a female, but I don't know if that makes a difference. I just can't live like this anymore so I really hope it works.

It certainly had positive results, like almost completely eliminating nightmares, flashbacks, paranoid guilt. Before I was very uncomfortable in groups people, hyper vigilant. I don’t want any of tho things back!

I've never found SSRIs useful for anxiety, but I have pretty severe anxiety so, yeah.

Still on this.Seventh month.Wife tell,that it helps me,may be means,that I am not so very often in da void.Personally cannot find any positive in that...same like before...Try to quitt before a month and on a day3 felt really bad.Dont know is this from zoloft or from something other,but decide to take it.only 25mg.....madness scares me more than death